HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New look Lightning - 2011/12 uniforms unveiled

Old
01-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
I agree with that. Gives it a little more relation to the teams history for better or for worse, too.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Accelerator

I agree with the comments saying that it looks very amateur. Perhaps even more so, the whole thing looks more like a template than a finished version. There are a lot of things about the logo and uniform that I'm unhappy about, but mostly the fact that it looks so unfinished and lacks detail.

The funny thing, even as much as I dislike it, it can so easily be rectified to look better. These are really just rough mock-ups, but the simple addition of a little detail and returning black to the logo and uniform helps tenfold:

Tampa really dropped the ball on this one. Instead of giving fans a design that could stand on its own, embracing the past while updating the look for the future, they decided to simply throw away everything that made the Lightning's uniforms unique for a copy-and-paste clipart design that's bland and uninspired.

Accelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I liked the old ones better. Those are too plain Jane.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

I definitely like the addition of silver in Doc Holiday's picture, makes the jersey much better, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIsTheReason View Post
Really not a fan. I messed around a bit in photoshop, and the jerseys look much better with the patch as the main logo.

This was my attempt to make the new jersey in the 90's-2005 style. Note that this was a 2 min effort and only partially finished.

I also like part of the logo idea in this one, the half silver, half blue circle around the bolt. Remove the TBLHC ring, outline that middle part in blue on the whites and white on the blues and I think that might look better.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:25 PM
ruggaduck
Duck walking...

I dig the simplicity. I think they'll grow into them.

ruggaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:25 PM
ashenhigh

Following the 3rd Jersey formula I guess

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

What was wrong with the "old" look?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Gatorade?

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
I

That design is much improved by a few simple adjustments. Could get more on board with this sweater.

ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
paradeofwolves

Quote:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. Love those. Think the shadow of the logo is a bit big/distracting though.

paradeofwolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
I agree with the comments saying that it looks very amateur. Perhaps even more so, the whole thing looks more like a template than a finished version. There are a lot of things about the logo and uniform that I'm unhappy about, but mostly the fact that it looks so unfinished and lacks detail.

The funny thing, even as much as I dislike it, it can so easily be rectified to look better. These are really just rough mock-ups, but the simple addition of a little detail and returning black to the logo and uniform helps tenfold:

Tampa really dropped the ball on this one. Instead of giving fans a design that could stand on its own, embracing the past while updating the look for the future, they decided to simply throw away everything that made the Lightning's uniforms unique for a copy-and-paste clipart design that's bland and uninspired.
Stop it

Those look really good

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:

that really does make a heck of a difference, in fact I think that's just perfect

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
CAPiTA

For those of you who were around for the introduction of the Buffaslug jersey, was reaction better or worse than this?

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:42 PM
fETING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
For those of you who were around for the introduction of the Buffaslug jersey, was reaction better or worse than this?
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse. Most of the dislikes on this one are 'meh, bland'. When the Buffaslug hit most of the Buffalo fanbase went

fETING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

They also need to stop using these templates for the designs.

Makes them look infinitely worse. Plus it isn't realistic at all.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
The Buffalo "Slug" jersey is/was terrible but I'm not sure the reaction was much different. Whenever a team that has a good logo changes it you are going to get a lot of agitated people.

As a season ticket holder for the Lightning, these are terrible. I can't stand the logo at all. I hope they get a very negative response and change them ever so slightly to some of the logos presented in this thread or just revert to the old logo. I can't believe it.

Uggg.... as a NYR fan at least I never get to worry about this sort of thing happening

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:47 PM
fETING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
The Buffalo "Slug" jersey is/was terrible but I'm not sure the reaction was much different. Whenever a team that has a good logo changes it you are going to get a lot of agitated people.

As a season ticket holder for the Lightning, these are terrible. I can't stand the logo at all. I hope they get a very negative response and change them ever so slightly to some of the logos presented in this thread or just revert to the old logo. I can't believe it.

Uggg.... as a NYR fan at least I never get to worry about this sort of thing happening
Lolwut

fETING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TML13

look like rejects from the incredibles to me. this trend of new teams getting "classic" jerseys is getting really old. i didnt like their old uniforms at all but suddenely i miss them. I get that they wanted a traditional look but this just bites way to hard on Detroit and Toronto's style.
at least they had an original identity before, this is just weak, not to mention they killed any real tradition they had in the franchise by getting rid of a bolt on the pants which was neat and the "victory stripes" in the armpits which i loved and was something simple and classy that only they ever had.

TML13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Danavan

I really like them...very modern and minimalist. It's nice to see an NHL team taking their cues from the fashion world and coming up with such a sartorial design. From a marketing standpoint, the simplified logo should make the team more easily recognizable as a brand.

Danavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Drij

Really plain looking.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:52 PM
thefeebster

So bland to me.... I agree with Doc's need for Silver. It really completes it.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by fETING View Post
Lolwut
I live in Orlando, I bought season ticket to watch hockey. Its the closest team.

Deal with it.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Sad Panda

They look awful. I'm simply amazed people get paid to create such terrible creations. Looks like they started to design the jersey in layers and just gave up and said screw it we're done here.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Et le But

I think they are great, finally a southern abandoning the "x-treme" 90s look and going to something simple. While I don't like the excessive Leafs ripoff of the jerseys I think keeping it simple is how you develop a recognized brand. The logo is so much better.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Accelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danavan View Post
I really like them...very modern and minimalist. It's nice to see an NHL team taking their cues from the fashion world and coming up with such a sartorial design. From a marketing standpoint, the simplified logo should make the team more easily recognizable as a brand.
The problem here is it's just too simple. I want a logo that I'd be proud to display on my chest, not a logo that looks like it belongs on someone's business card.

Accelerator is offline   Reply With Quote