HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto-Philly?

Old
01-31-2011, 05:03 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
I understand this train of thought. He's been anything but impressive in TO this season. I think the utter failure of Wilson's defensive system is cause for a lot of the sub-par games.

But when you look at the team that'd be in front of him in PHI, it doesn't get much easier for a goalie. I mean, Leighton was no MVP candidate, but still got the the finals. Surely he's an upgrade on Leighton; right?

But I don't watch Philly to much and i'd feel like a mega homer if I said he's an upgrade on Bob, so I'll leave that to the Philly fans.
Well he is an upgrade to Boucher or Leighton, and has oodles more experience than Bob, but the cap hit likely means we must lose someone worthwhile, which would make it not worth it for us.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Moobles

I dunno.

The Flyers have sort of gone down the Red Wings route; work more with journeyman goalies and use the cap space to afford extra scoring depth. I fail to see how Giguere would solve their problems and more specifically, why they wouldn't be more interested in someone like Vokoun- who'd have a similar asking price at similar salary but has much, much better numbers.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:07 PM
JonusHoglund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Well he is an upgrade to Boucher or Leighton, and has oodles more experience than Bob, but the cap hit likely means we must lose someone worthwhile, which would make it not worth it for us.
ding ding ding

JonusHoglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Alfredsson11

If I were Holmgrem Id go after Vokoun, but who am I to tell him what to do, dude has made some tremendous moves the past few years, very underrated GM

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyU View Post
Bob all the way. Giggy is way past his prime and Bob continues to prove himself... this is leafs fans dreaming.
How many games has he played at the NHL level again? How many playoff rounds has he played again? Giguere may be washed up or whatever, that depends on who you ask but it's certainly in Philly's best interest to at least have a vet backing him up whether it's Giguere or not.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Flyersfan1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
How many games has he played at the NHL level again? How many playoff rounds has he played again? Giguere may be washed up or whatever, that depends on who you ask but it's certainly in Philly's best interest to at least have a vet backing him up whether it's Giguere or not.
Obviously he hasn't played any playoff rounds. He's a rookie. And this season he has been good.

Flyersfan1014 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:33 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Boucher isn't a Vet?

Look I rather have Jiggy over Booosh, but not at the cap hit. And if the Flyers are going to give anything up, they might as well get an actual goalie that is performing well.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:57 PM
stanleyorbust

Giguere has something left in the tank.... and he always has been a playoff goaltender. With the defense Philly has.. it really shelters their goaltending. The guys they have now are solid.. but I think everyone in the league has their doubts that they are good enough to win it all. Giguere behind philly's defense would be outstanding.. plus he is fighting for a contract next season. The only question becomes what is fair value for him... I wonder if Philly would be open to a package deal to get something the leafs could actually use? If not.. a 2nd rounder and salary dump is not out of the question.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Rodimus Prime

correct me if im wrong, but isnt giggys cap hit only going to be ~1.3 million come the deadline? much easier to work with than 6 million.

Rodimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Curious, does Toronto need Monster when someone like Reimer is coming up? Or even Rynnas? Why not trade him?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Rodimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Curious, does Toronto need Monster when someone like Reimer is coming up? Or even Rynnas? Why not trade him?
depends which fans you ask haha.
really though, its smarter to hold onto him. Rynnas probably wont be ready for the N for at least another season or two, same with scrivens, and who knows how reimer will do. Unless we could get something quite valuable for him, theres not much point in moving him.

Rodimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Quote:
I don't think Burke is gonna give up that easy on the Monster.. he really put some work into getting him and just cause it's his 2nd season doesn't mean you should give up on him.. When Carey Price did terrible in Montreal like 2 seasons ago people wanted him to be traded over Halak, now look at where Montreal is at.. Way I see it he's not letting the Monster go for now

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:55 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
If I'm not mistaken the Flyers have ~3.5 mil in space now so moving Z and boucher would give them enough space
It would be a pro-rated ammount. Question would be, is Giguere worth a third or fourth round pick to have that insurance going into the playoffs. For the poster that said goalie bob and the other philly goalie is better than Giguere, I suppose their cup rings and conn smythe awards say so? A team like Philly that is deep everywhere but in net, IMO, a third round pick to have a guy like Giguere back up Bob is worth it.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:57 PM
last row purple

Giguere $6m
Sjostrom $.75m
4th in 2011

Total - $6.75m

for

Carcillo $1.075m
Zherdev $2m
2nd in 2011
waive - Boucher $.925m & Walker $1.7m

total - $5.7m

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:58 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Why would Philly want Gus? They'd want Giggy for his playoff experience. I just don't see the logic in them aquiring Gus when they've got a young goalie without playoff experience.

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt Vanderhuge View Post
Boucher and Bobrovsky are each better than Giguere. This is stupid.
This.

/end thread.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Leafidelity
A New Era

vCash: 1775
Have the Flyers ever cared about goaltending?

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

When I opened the thread I fully expected the Kaberle for Carter deal.

Instead, I am met with an even more erroneous thought: that JVR for Giguere is the trade for us (granted it was made by a 15 post poster and not HB, but I digress). Trade 21 years old of top line potential for a 6 million piece of garbage that is a qualified back-up in the league? That is ********.

Listen, I know we have a Cup window open here and we should really have a vet in net to maximize our Cup opportunity, but trading away assets that have helped get us to where we are now for a guy overpriced like Giguere is dumb. If we were trading nameless/faceless assets like draft picks then fine, but moving JVR? Hartnell? Talk about oveprlaying your hand at life. Take Shelley and Zherdev. Normally you would have to give quality to get quality, but this isn't 2007 and Giguere is hardly worth anything more than a draft choice.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:34 PM
WWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML nation13 View Post
Mike in Buffalo as a source REALLY
Is this the guy that calls into Andy Frost after every Leafs game? If so this is too funny.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:37 PM
last row purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWB View Post
Is this the guy that calls into Andy Frost after every Leafs game? If so this is too funny.
"Good evening, Mr. Frost"

this would be he

last row purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:40 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
To grab a goalie who has been struggling? How would that be a good move, other then "grabbing a vet"? He has been terrible the past few years. There is 0 belief that he will all of a sudden turn it around.
He hasn't been terrible.What is in front of him is terrible. I'm just saying if the cost were low (mid-late pick) and his health was good.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
This.

/end thread.
Boucher is better than Giguere?
Here is Boucher`s career stats-NHL totals 280 101 121 30 10 15644 709 17 2.72 .900Playoff stats - NHL totals 34 17 14 1964 72 2 2.20 .913

Giguere career NHL stats -NHL totals 492 220 184 25 38 28,146 1180 34 2.52 .913

Playoff stats - NHL totals 52 33 17 3167 110 6 2.08 .925
Plus a cup ring and Conn Smythe

Clearly Boucher has much better stats and won bigger games than Giguere. Haven`t seen a homeristic post like this in a long time.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:44 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
He hasn't been terrible.What is in front of him is terrible. I'm just saying if the cost were low (mid-late pick) and his health was good.
You guys said the same thing about Toskala.

But anyway, so it wasnt his fault near the end of Anaheim also?

We dont need Giggy. Stop trying to force us to have him Leaf fans...damn

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:47 PM
leafmon

Quote:
We'll be lucky if one of them become a number one so the trick is to find out which one which to me means keep em all for know. Besides at this point they wouldn't fetch anything.

Old
01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainbow Express View Post
When I opened the thread I fully expected the Kaberle for Carter deal.

Instead, I am met with an even more erroneous thought: that JVR for Giguere is the trade for us (granted it was made by a 15 post poster and not HB, but I digress). Trade 21 years old of top line potential for a 6 million piece of garbage that is a qualified back-up in the league? That is ********.

Listen, I know we have a Cup window open here and we should really have a vet in net to maximize our Cup opportunity, but trading away assets that have helped get us to where we are now for a guy overpriced like Giguere is dumb. If we were trading nameless/faceless assets like draft picks then fine, but moving JVR? Hartnell? Talk about oveprlaying your hand at life. Take Shelley and Zherdev. Normally you would have to give quality to get quality, but this isn't 2007 and Giguere is hardly worth anything more than a draft choice.
You go to the one response that stands out from the rest. The vast majority don't expect any value so only you know why you went to the one you could blast but whatever,,,,flame on.