HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber's situation

Old
01-31-2011, 12:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Kypreos on Sportsnet yesterday said he's hearing from some people that Weber would still like to play in a more traditional hockey market.

Anyways, this summer if he only signs for 1 year you'll know weither he wants to stay or go.
Nick Kypreos is a pudding-head who is essentially the equivalent of a tabloid columnist. I don't take his banter with Bill Watters as anything resembling legitimate.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
as much as I hate to admit it, I am starting to have just a bit of doubt myself.

the people who predicted Weber would already be locked up to a long term extension were obviously mistaken.

I worry that playing on team Canada had an influence on him wanting to play elsewhere.

That said, I still think the most likely outcome is a long term deal here, its just not obviously the lock that it seemed like when he got the C this summer.

but I do not see a 1 year deal happening. I think if Poile knows he cant get him long term then he will be traded. i think Weber and poile are both classy enough that if this is going to happen Weber will tell Poile quietly and give him a list of teams to talk to so poile can get maximum return.
I am starting to think the same thing... I think Suter has a better chance of resigning than weber does.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Weber is an RFA so Nashville will want the moon for him.

Also, what about the guys in the system

Blum-Josi
Ellis-ETC

If anything, if Weber goes or Suter, what will the payback be?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Weber is an RFA so Nashville will want the moon for him.

Also, what about the guys in the system

Blum-Josi
Ellis-ETC

If anything, if Weber goes or Suter, what will the payback be?
honestly, at this point, I think you have to look at a top 3 forward and a serviceable defenseman on a one year deal for Weber.

What I am actually hoping is poile resigns weber, then turns around and offers Lou the moon for Parise. If we can resign both Weber and Suter, Parise might be tempted to come here.

I would offer something like Blum/Ellis, pickard, a 2nd (new jersey's) or our first, and either Dumont/Sullivan for Parise and a low profile prospect.

I don't know if they would do that, but that is what I would offer to pry Parise out of New Jersey if he would resign here with weber and suter.

Ultimately, Weber IS the Nashville Predators. I am sorry to say but that is the facts. We lose Weber many fans will give up on the team. We cannot lose this guy.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Legionnaire11

I don't think the fanbase would implode if we lost Weber.

1. Our hardcore base of season ticket holders (7-8k)? will remain no matter what happens. They love the players, but know that the team and enjoying NHL hockey is most important.

2. The majority of Nashville still falls under the casual fan category who know Shea Weber but don't go to games to see him, they go to have a good time.

You may see some of the in between fans get upset and not show up as often, but only until they find the next Pred that excites them. The team survived the loss of Walker, Vokoun, Timonen, Hartnell and Kariya. They survived an entire season lost to lockout and a potential relocation. They have never won a playoff series yet attendance continues to grow.

Losing Weber would hurt, but would not be the end of the Preds.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I don't think the fanbase would implode if we lost Weber.

1. Our hardcore base of season ticket holders (7-8k)? will remain no matter what happens. They love the players, but know that the team and enjoying NHL hockey is most important.

2. The majority of Nashville still falls under the casual fan category who know Shea Weber but don't go to games to see him, they go to have a good time.

You may see some of the in between fans get upset and not show up as often, but only until they find the next Pred that excites them. The team survived the loss of Walker, Vokoun, Timonen, Hartnell and Kariya. They survived an entire season lost to lockout and a potential relocation. They have never won a playoff series yet attendance continues to grow.

Losing Weber would hurt, but would not be the end of the Preds.
I disagree to an extent. None of the players you mentioned were the homegrown superstar Weber is. Most of the players you mentioned left due to the Leipold\Balsillie fiasco..and none ever felt so distinctly "ours" as Weber and Suter did. Hartnell was probably the closest, since we drafted him and he played his entire career here. Trading Weber because he's become to expensive is basically throwing in the white flag. It's admitting that we're a farm team for the rest of the NHL, and we're doomed to a cycle of drafting and developing talent, only to trade them for "reset pieces" when the time comes that they want\deserve to be paid. I think a lot of us gave the Preds a free pass due to the circumstances in 2007, but there are going to be some people that start losing patience if it becomes a characteristic of the franchise. You speak of "the next player to get excited about" coming along, but it will become increasingly difficult to get excited about young players when you know that you've only got them until they hit their peak, at which point you'll trade them for draft picks to Philadelphia. The frustration is going to set in, regardless of a cognizance of the "Predator Way."

Old
01-31-2011, 02:54 PM
WartracePred

Casual and marginal fans don't associate Weber with the Predators. Tootoo is the name casual fans recognize. Ask folks who've been to one or two games and they talk about Tootoo and his latest fight. Trading Weber angers the well-informed fan, not the marginal fan. And the well informed fan will understand if we get value for Weber, namely a top three guy.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I disagree to an extent. None of the players you mentioned were the homegrown superstar Weber is. Most of the players you mentioned left due to the Leipold\Balsillie fiasco..and none ever felt so distinctly "ours" as Weber and Suter did. Hartnell was probably the closest, since we drafted him and he played his entire career here. Trading Weber because he's become to expensive is basically throwing in the white flag. It's admitting that we're a farm team for the rest of the NHL, and we're doomed to a cycle of drafting and developing talent, only to trade them for "reset pieces" when the time comes that they want\deserve to be paid. I think a lot of us gave the Preds a free pass due to the circumstances in 2007, but there are going to be some people that start losing patience if it becomes a characteristic of the franchise. You speak of "the next player to get excited about" coming along, but it will become increasingly difficult to get excited about young players when you know that you've only got them until they hit their peak, at which point you'll trade them for draft picks to Philadelphia. The frustration is going to set in, regardless of a cognizance of the "Predator Way."
Poile essentially hung himself with the Erat & Legwand contracts ... ****ing retard

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 03:31 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I think you would have quite the exodus in season ticket holders if they let shea go if it is a money issue. If it is a weber not wanting to be here thing, fine, i get that. he can fulfill his contract and leave. that's sports. but if this org. lets one of those two boys go becasue of money, i think fans will show their disdain and not go to games.

that being said, i think ownership knows that. And beleive youme, if poile really wanted to move erat and legwand, he could. if sather can move some of the dead weights that he has....

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think you would have quite the exodus in season ticket holders if they let shea go if it is a money issue. If it is a weber not wanting to be here thing, fine, i get that. he can fulfill his contract and leave. that's sports. but if this org. lets one of those two boys go becasue of money, i think fans will show their disdain and not go to games.
I think if he leaves just to be somewhere else it may also spell long-term doom for the team. If we can't get home-grown top talent to stay, we're never going to have a chance to be a really contending team. After a while being consistently as good as you can be with developing talent won't be enough to hold the franchise here. We're either committed to making hockey work in this town - and that has to include being able to convince our players that it's worth it - or we're not. When you put the C on a guy and tell him he's the face of the franchise for the future, if you then can't sign him - what does that say about the franchise?

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:37 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I would rather avoid the situation of "weber leaving nashville" because the franchise is building momentum.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:18 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
I would rather avoid the situation of "weber leaving nashville" because the franchise is building momentum.
Yes. Same with Suter.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't understand why Weber would prefer to play in a "more traditional hockey market". He isn't the type of guy who revels in media attention. He's already playing in the greatest league in the world on a team that is essentially his. The team isn't a slouch, and it's getting closer to the point to where Poile's leash (financially speaking) becomes longer and longer. He seems to like the city, the fans, the coaching staff, and the guys in the locker room. The only way that claim makes any sense is if it's just another tabloid-esque "hockey insider" trying to make waves by spouting off crap he or she virtually invented to get the Canadian hockey fans drooling. From what btn has said that seems to be the case. Also if it were really such a reliable source providing the rumor don't you think he would say something on his Twitter feed instead of only saying it on television? Sounds about as bogus as all of the other claims about Weber's intentions for next season.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:03 PM
glenngineer

I still go back to the contract he signed 3 years ago that leaves him as a RFA. Unless something has changed in his thinking, he wants to be here, if not, he would've signed a deal that would expire after next season and allow him to be an UFA.

I think the funny thing is that there is talk of him signing a big money contract. What teams have the cap space to be able to add him to their roster long term that he'd want to play for? Even if some team could clear off some cap space, they'd be hindered and close to the cap to fill out their roster that may already be at the cap limit. Also, if he were to sign an offer sheet, we have the right to match and unless some team offers him outlandish money, somewhere in the $8 million range, my bet is we'll match the offer.

We are under the assumption he'll sign in the $6-6.5 million range. If someone were to come along and offer $7-7.5, I still think we match and take our chances.

I know others have said the fan base wouldn't be reduced but I can say personally I would feel some bit of betrayal by the club and may or may not decide to be part of this particular fan base. That's just me though. At some point, you have to lock up your young stars to keep your team competitive but also show to your fans that you want to ice a solid product. I don't want to be the Oakland A's of hockey.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:35 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I still go back to the contract he signed 3 years ago that leaves him as a RFA. Unless something has changed in his thinking, he wants to be here, if not, he would've signed a deal that would expire after next season and allow him to be an UFA.
Maybe, but he also may have wanted to see which direction the team was going. Or, he may wanted to raise his value further to get more in the 4th year.

None of us really know what's really going through his head, and he maybe undecided himself.

It's Poile's job to get a read on it.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Anchor Town

What is taking so long for Weber to get signed? Most Nashville fans I talked to near the beginning of the season assured it'd be done by now

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't remember anyone saying it would be done by this point in the season. Poile has never worked that way. We've been steady in our assumption that Poile will have the deal worked out before offer sheets can come in.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I look it like this. What's the rush? He's our RFA.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
I look it like this. What's the rush? He's our RFA.
I see it as, the longer Nashville waits to sign him the more time he has to consider/weigh his other options

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

He would have time to do that regardless. You don't think his agent is urging him to consider his options (mainly financial)? It isn't as if this is the first time a good player has gotten within five months of RFA status.

What it, guys... the vultures are circling

Old
01-31-2011, 10:08 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Poile essentially hung himself with the Erat & Legwand contracts ... ****ing retard
no he didnt. there is enough money to pay suter and weber 6 mil each for a long time.

if they are going to insist on more, they probably werent planning on staying anyway.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
I see it as, the longer Nashville waits to sign him the more time he has to consider/weigh his other options
well, as an RFA he actually wont have any other options until july 1 at the earliest..

like I said before, i think the most likely outcome is a "lifetime" deal with us, but its not as sure a thing as it seemed 5 months ago when he got the C

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:20 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, as an RFA he actually wont have any other options until july 1 at the earliest..

like I said before, i think the most likely outcome is a "lifetime" deal with us, but its not as sure a thing as it seemed 5 months ago when he got the C
Exactly. Weber's "options" don't exist except whatever, if anything, Nashville has already offered. It's hard to weigh his options when it's illegal for another team to contact him about contract negotiations. Weber won't see an offer sheet until July 1 if he sees any at all. At that point he still has to accept it, and Nashville has to elect to not match. This isn't nearly the cut-and-dry "Weber can do what he wants" situation a lot of people seem to be making it out to be.

Maybe other teams should do a better job at drafting dmen. Anyone could have had Weber. We got him.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I'm pretty sure that Weber is not negotiating during the season, therefore he won't be signed till the summer.

Weber and his agent have met with Poile. They know what each other wants. Poile has kept in contact with Shea's agent even meeting with him twice more, however the actual negotiations won't begin until the season ends.

Hopefully it's a tight deadline in late June...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm pretty sure that Weber is not negotiating during the season, therefore he won't be signed till the summer.

Weber and his agent have met with Poile. They know what each other wants. Poile has kept in contact with Shea's agent even meeting with him twice more, however the actual negotiations won't begin until the season ends.

Hopefully it's a tight deadline in late June...
In those cases, it's almost always the team setting that guideline. I don't think it's a good idea to give ourselves a month to get Weber locked up.