HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Minnesota-Philadelphia

Old
01-31-2011, 07:48 PM
El Nino22

vCash: 500
Minnesota-Philadelphia

I just had this thought in a Wild thread. Made sense to me for both sides, don't tear me apart

Minnesota
Backstrom 6.00
Zanon 1.93

Philly
Couburn/ Carle 3.2/3.438 ( Don't know who makes more sense?)
Bobrovsky 1.75

Philly reasoning: Backstrom is veteran goalie, who although is expensive, has a lot of experience including playoffs and is frankly very good. He is locked up for a few years and would finally give Philly that true #1 goalie they have lacked since Esche. With Backstrom Philly would have a goalie to make their cup runs with. With Philly's D Zanon slides into the 3rd pairing role with I believe O'Donnell. That is a very good 3rd pairing. Zanon is a great shot blocker and has valuable playoff experience and can play big PK minutes as well as being a capable 17-20 min a night guy.

Minny reasoning: We get rid of a veteran with a big salary while we attempt a mini rebuild. We also get a young top 4 D which we need badly and also we gotta take salary back so Coburn/Carle make sense. Then we get a young goalie with #1 potential to come in and split with Theodore this year and can hopefully take over next season.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Nnnnnnnnnnooooooo! Hell, we still can't even fit that kind of cap. Bob is our future pretty much anyways. So even more no.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

The better question is: Why would Philly bother? It's pretty obvious that they're doing just fine with Bob and Boucher.

Why would they give up their possible goalie of the future and an effective defender for an overpaid goalie and a defender that suddenly doesn't fit our system?

I sincerely doubt that there's a team in the NHL that will EVER take Backstrom with his contract.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:02 PM
ProngersGap

Send a message via Yahoo to ProngersGap
Cap would be close. Plus, I think they are only looking for locker room leadership and a guy to plug in on richie/jvr line to balance out that line. Nodl is good, but we are one winger away from being truly scary. Not that we already aren't.

ProngersGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:07 PM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
Minnesota
Backstrom 6.00
Zanon 1.93

Philly
Couburn/ Carle 3.2/3.438 ( Don't know who makes more sense?)
Bobrovsky 1.75

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:11 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
The better question is: Why would Philly bother? It's pretty obvious that they're doing just fine with Bob and Boucher.

Why would they give up their possible goalie of the future and an effective defender for an overpaid goalie and a defender that suddenly doesn't fit our system?

I sincerely doubt that there's a team in the NHL that will EVER take Backstrom with his contract.
we need a goalie I bet if he could be had Burke would be interested

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:37 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Not really interested in Backstrom. He's more expensive than I think he's worth and he's signed for two more years. If we did this trade, we could practically kiss Leino goodbye.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Not really interested in Backstrom. He's more expensive than I think he's worth and he's signed for two more years. If we did this trade, we could practically kiss Leino goodbye.
That's true. It was one of those idea's that only made sense in the immediate future and not anywhere past that.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
No thanks..

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:11 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

It certainly isn't terrible, but it just doesn't make sense (imo).

The Flyers are looking for a rental, not trading away their hopeful future goalie for another (albeit Backstrom is obviously MUCH better) on a long-term contract and a huge cap-hit, which goes against Paul Holmgren's standing on goalies. Also with that contract, there's pretty much no chance of Leino being re-signed in the offseason.

Zanon in the trade seems like a complete non-factor.

I think if Philadelphia was exploring trade options with Minny, the first player I would expect to be involved would Brunnette. He's on a fairly low cap-hit contract and is UFA at the end of the season. While he may not have a ton of playoff experience I think he'd be a good compliment playing on Richards' wing (or at least better than Nodl or Carcillo), which is what the Flyers are looking for.

Maybe a 3rd or a 4th? I don't know what Wild fans are looking for, I don't know much about the team in general.

tl;dr: It's been said by management that Flyers want more depth at the deadline, not get rid of it. Holmgren is more than likely completely content with his goaltending situation.

Last edited by SeanVT395: 01-31-2011 at 10:36 PM.
SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:39 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
It certainly isn't terrible, but it just doesn't make sense (imo).

The Flyers are looking for a rental, not trading away their hopeful future goalie for another (albeit Backstrom is obviously MUCH better) on a long-term contract and a huge cap-hit, which goes against Paul Holmgren's standing on goalies. Also with that contract, there's pretty much no chance of Leino being re-signed in the offseason.

Zanon in the trade seems like a complete non-factor.

I think if Philadelphia was exploring trade options with Minny, the first player I would expect to be involved would Brunnette. He's on a fairly low cap-hit contract and is UFA at the end of the season. While he may not have a ton of playoff experience I think he'd be a good compliment playing on Richards' wing (or at least better than Nodl or Carcillo), which is what the Flyers are looking for.

Maybe a 3rd or a 4th? I don't know what Wild fans are looking for, I don't know much about the team in general.

tl;dr: It's been said by management that Flyers want more depth at the deadline, not get rid of it. Holmgren is more than likely completely content with his goaltending situation.
Brunette does have a ton of playoff experience and is hugely clutch in the playoffs. We would be looking for at least a 2nd.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
Brunette does have a ton of playoff experience and is hugely clutch in the playoffs. We would be looking for at least a 2nd.
I really don't consider 43 playoff games for a 37-year old a ton of playoff experience. But yeah, I remember he was great for the Av's a few years ago.

Honestly I think a 2nd would be fair. however, I'd be willing to bet the majority of the Flyers fanbase on here would not, considering it's no secret that they and Calgary have easily the worst prospect pool in the league.

The Flyers also traded their 2nd this season for Meszaros (which is paying dividends at the moment), and I'd be willing to be they don't have their second for at least another decade considering Holmgren hands them out like candy .

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
I really don't consider 43 playoff games for a 37-year old a ton of playoff experience. But yeah, I remember he was great for the Av's a few years ago.

Honestly I think a 2nd would be fair. however, I'd be willing to bet the majority of the Flyers fanbase on here would not, considering it's no secret that they and Calgary have easily the worst prospect pool in the league.

The Flyers also traded their 2nd this season for Meszaros (which is paying dividends at the moment), and I'd be willing to be they don't have their second for at least another decade considering Holmgren hands them out like candy .
Yeah and the Wild's run in 2003. Also 34 points in those 43 games. Yeah I did forget that you guys traded your second, but either way that would be the about value. Obviously a prospect of that caliber would get it done too, but maybe since your prospect pool isn't great that isn't a viable option either.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Jesus Toews*

Flyers want nothing to do with Brunette. He's one of the slowest players in the league and would severely hamper PHI's speed-based transition game.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:52 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Flyers want nothing to do with Brunette. He's one of the slowest players in the league and would severely hamper PHI's speed-based transition game.
He is extremely slow, but his ability to control the puck behind and around the net, and cycle is nearly unmatched. Can you imagine the passes this guy could make on the PP to Carter and Briere? The Wild are a speed based, high tempo team as well, but Bruno works in it simply because he makes his line mates better.

Old
02-01-2011, 07:55 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Deal.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:25 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

wow...no thanks

I doubt the Flyers make any big moves. They may acquire a bottom 6th forward, but I can't see them going after anything else

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:00 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
No thanks, not trading Bob for an old goalie, and I don't see the poing of weakening our D for this deal

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:04 AM
walle

could be possible but makes no sense. Bob is good enough and will be better than Backs in no time

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:22 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
could be possible but makes no sense. Bob is good enough and will be better than Backs in no time

Will be? Will be? How can you be so sure? I would personally be surprised if Bob will be as good as Backs. I like Bob, but I doubt that he will develop in to a top 10 starter in the NHL. Many young goalies seem promising but then fall down. (think Mason) Backström is a proven goalie, and consistency is a key in the goalie position.

Don´t get me wrong, I like him, but to say that he WILL be better than Backs in no time is funny.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

As a Flyers fan, I'd be willing to deal Carle along with Boucher for Backstrom and Zanon if we could manage to fit those guys under the salary cap. Maybe I'd try to squeeze a little more blood from the stone, though, and ask for a Clutterbuck for Carcillo swap as well. Unfortunately, I think Minnesota would be unwilling to make the latter deal as Clutterbuck is having a very solid season and seems to be a fan favorite. Still, he'd be a great Philadelphia-type player.

This lineup would be amazing for the playoffs:

JVR - Richards - Nodl
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Zherdev - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Betts - Clutterbuck
Shelley

Pronger - Meszaros
Timonen - Coburn
Zanon - O'Donnell

Backstrom
Bobrovsky

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:40 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helter Skelter View Post
As a Flyers fan, I'd be willing to deal Carle along with Boucher for Backstrom and Zanon if we could manage to fit those guys under the salary cap. Maybe I'd try to squeeze a little more blood from the stone, though, and ask for a Clutterbuck for Carcillo swap as well. Unfortunately, I think Minnesota would be unwilling to make the latter deal as Clutterbuck is having a very solid season and seems to be a fan favorite. Still, he'd be a great Philadelphia-type player.

This lineup would be amazing for the playoffs:

JVR - Richards - Nodl
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Zherdev - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Betts - Clutterbuck
Shelley

Pronger - Meszaros
Timonen - Coburn
Zanon - O'Donnell

Backstrom
Bobrovsky
Boucher, Carcillo, and Carle for Backstrom, Clutterbuck, and Zanon? Um, what is the impetus for Minnesota to do that? Is this deal missing a bunch of high draft picks from Philly's end? How does this speed up the Wild's rebuilding?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Right because Knuble hampered the Flyers being slow. Good players that don't have speed make up for it with positioning generally. Knuble being in front of the net.

If the Flyers could get Brunette under the cap without losing anyone significant it would be a huge help.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Boucher, Carcillo, and Carle for Backstrom, Clutterbuck, and Zanon? Um, what is the impetus for Minnesota to do that? Is this deal missing a bunch of high draft picks from Philly's end? How does this speed up the Wild's rebuilding?
I know it would never happen. It was just a pipe dream. We'd have to slip something in the Wild GM's drink for that deal to happen.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
ProngersGap

Send a message via Yahoo to ProngersGap
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Right because Knuble hampered the Flyers being slow. Good players that don't have speed make up for it with positioning generally. Knuble being in front of the net.

If the Flyers could get Brunette under the cap without losing anyone significant it would be a huge help.
I'm with you on that, but lets just bring back mike"the nose"knuble. He played well with richie.

ProngersGap is offline   Reply With Quote