HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All star fantasy draft

Old
01-29-2011, 11:35 AM
puckstopper55

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
All star fantasy draft

Anyone else watch this last night? I thought it was odd that each played had a sewn jersey in the right color waiting for them. Do you think the real draft could have happened already and this was for show? The only other explanation would be if they had a blue and white for each player and then just gave out the right one, but then you could run into duplicate number issues. Thoughts?

puckstopper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
They had a jersey of each color for each.
I rather enjoyed it.

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 11:48 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
Anyone else watch this last night? I thought it was odd that each played had a sewn jersey in the right color waiting for them. Do you think the real draft could have happened already and this was for show? The only other explanation would be if they had a blue and white for each player and then just gave out the right one, but then you could run into duplicate number issues. Thoughts?
According to Bob McKenzie (after he read numerous of conspiracy "It was rigged!" comments)...they had all player's names printed on both jerseys. You can tell this was the case when you had the rookies holding both blue and white jerseys with their names on them.

I believe the player's actual number was printed on the jerseys, regardless of duplicate numbers. And that, once the teams were sorted out, then they'll worry about changing duplicate numbers.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 12:02 PM
cjdv16

I thought it was absolutely stupid. More Betman shennanigans.

Nice touch that they mentioned Tavares and his 3 OT winners this year.

Would have been nicer if they acknolwedged him being snubbed while 6 or 7 guys on the stage should not have even been up there in the first place.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 01:01 PM
scott99

I think that this idea has made the all-star game unwatchable. Stupid idea. In every other professional sports league, they do East vs West or American vs National, who the hell do you root for ? Team friggen Lidstrom ? Really dumb idea. I'll be watching the skills competition, can care less about the game, unless an Islander was involved.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 02:46 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I think that this idea has made the all-star game unwatchable. Stupid idea. In every other professional sports league, they do East vs West or American vs National, who the hell do you root for ? Team friggen Lidstrom ? Really dumb idea. I'll be watching the skills competition, can care less about the game, unless an Islander was involved.
Why do you have to root for anyone, why can't you just watch the game and enjoy it? Everyone makes such a big deal over the all star game, like it's supposed to be the greatest spectacle ever...if you don't want to watch, then don't...just stop complaining

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 03:36 PM
ichabod13

i watched about the last 15 minutes or so only because i wanted to see who didnt get picked. i sure as hell didnt expect it to be kessel thats for sure!!!
we were at the bar the other day talking about what they were going to give the guy that didnt get picked. we all agreed that he would get a tax write off but we had it pegged at 10 to 15 grand, so we were kind of shocked when it was 20 grand. and none of us even mentioned a new car, so that was another shocker.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
i watched about the last 15 minutes or so only because i wanted to see who didnt get picked. i sure as hell didnt expect it to be kessel thats for sure!!!
we were at the bar the other day talking about what they were going to give the guy that didnt get picked. we all agreed that he would get a tax write off but we had it pegged at 10 to 15 grand, so we were kind of shocked when it was 20 grand. and none of us even mentioned a new car, so that was another shocker.
Yeah I bet Stastny's probably wtf dude why'd you pick me!

As for the draft as a whole I'm pissed I had to work cause I thought it was a decent idea ASG's are a joke so it's good to switch it up.

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 07:50 AM
GilliesGirlie

Wow, I am surprised. I liked it, thought it was nice to see the players laid back and enjoying themselves. Thought the best part was the Staals.

Old
01-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Brunomics

Thought the whole thing was overhyped garbage, kids probably ate it up but for me it just seemed really awkward and stupid. Plus hearing McQuire try to talk it up and how they were picking was just plain painful.

Out of everything I just dvr'ed the skills to see Grabner win. Other than that I don't care. Without a horse in the race here it just doesn't matter to be.

Brunomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:45 PM
peter021

I thought the Fantasy Draft was a great idea by the NHL. The ASG is pretty much meaningless, so really, who cares if it's a Eastern-Western Conference matchup? The draft itself probably could have been condensed a little bit and some of the banter was a little forced. They need to let the players be comfortable enough to be themselves up there, but overall I liked that the NHL was trying something different.

I also enjoyed Cam Ward's comment after getting picked first overall that he was 'obviously the best player available'.

Who knows, maybe at some point in the future they can organize a KHL vs. NHL All-Star Game... add a little more motivation to the game itself.

peter021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 04:58 PM
JKP

I liked the draft. It showed some of the players' personalities and it was fun, reminding many of us of our youth when we'd pick sides and play.

The skills competition was much better with the head to head match ups, that was an improvement over previous years.

The game is what it is and nothing will ever change that, so deal with it or ignore it. My kids, who love goals, thoroughly enjoyed it. It was certainly better than the pro bowl.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Knish Of The Crease

I enjoyed the draft. Would have been nice to see JT there but thats a different story.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote