HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Vinny Prospal achieves $1.4M games played bonus

Old
01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
When I say "gain cap space" I mean "able to exceed upper cap limit."
I know what you mean. If my math is right, Frolov was on the roster for 96 days before he got hurt, leaving 90 days left. If we were to go right up to the cap, then place Frolov on retroactive LTIR, we could go over the cap by:

3 mil * (90/186) = 1.45 mil

If Prospal comes back, that won't be enough to pay off our bonuses and we'd be forced to roll some of it over into next year.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

50.10 Player Injuries, Illnesses and Suspensions.

Quote:
(d) Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit. In
the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and
unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes,
in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit
to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular
Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an
additional Player or Players to its Active Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and
Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase the Club's Averaged Club Salary to an
amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit, solely as, and to the extent and for the
duration, set forth below.
Quote:
(vi) A Club may elect to replace a Player who is unfit to play under this
Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury Exception at any point during the
period that he is unfit to play
, and any days and games already missed by the Player as a result of his being unfit to play (i.e., the injury/illness causing him to miss more than twenty-four (24)
calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games) prior to
the election of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception
shall retroactively count toward the missed twenty-four (24)
calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games for the
Player
. If a Club exercises this Bona-Fide Long-Term
Injury/Illness Exception, the unfit-to-play Player that the Club
replaces shall be placed on the Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception
List, and is required to remain on such list until twenty-four (24)
calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games have
elapsed from such Club's schedule –measured from the later of the
date of the Player's becoming unfit to play or the Player's last game
played –even in the event that the Player once again becomes fit to
play earlier than anticipated, and prior to the elapsing of twenty-
four (24) calendar days and ten (10) NHL Regular Season games;
LTI is used when the team is at or near the upper limit and the team exceeds the upper limit. The Rangers are not at or near the upper limit.

A player can placed on LTI retroactively.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
CM PUNK

in addition to prospal, there are also potential bonuses for several of the kids that combined could eat up our remaining cap space if we don't want to use the cushion and carry the hit over.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
If we get Vinny and Cally back, and are playing a Malkin-less, Crosby-less Pens at home after a nice break...

With the month we have ahead I have to say we'd want too win this one, for sure.

01-31-2011, 11:51 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

All of the LTI examples in the CBA exclude bonuses. If Prospal plays the 10 games and gets the bonus. The Rangers use the remaining cap space putting them at the upper limit. Putting Frolov on LTI won't work because $1.4M of the $59.4M is based on bonuses. They can't pay Vinny the bonus,make a trade using the remaining space and make another move with the Frolov/Boogaard long term IR money to remain at $59.4M.

Quote:
Illustration #3: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $40.0 million. A
Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $39.0 million (excluding
Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the
Performance Bonus Cushion) for half of the season
. A Player who has
an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $4.0 million becomes unfit to
play at the halfway point of the season. On the same day, the Club
exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Except ion on the
unfit-to-play Player. The Club may then replace the unfit-to-play
Player with any Player or Players who have SPCs with an (aggregate)
Averaged Amount of $4.0 million. If these replacements are made at
the time of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Except ion election
and are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's
Averaged Club Salary is $41.0 million, as the Club is permitted to
exceed the Upper Limit by $1.0 million because of the Bona-Fide
Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception.
Full amount of bonus cushion is 7.5%

Old
01-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Blueblood 2

I am curious to see if Drury gets some press box time to enhance his decision to waive the NMC. He does have some value to certain teams at the deadline. Brooks mentioned Mr. Intangibles for a reason. He smells something. LOL!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:05 PM
turcotte8

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Tortorella also said that Vinny Prospal is ready to return, but that he wants Prospal to have two more practices for conditioning purposes, and so the target for his return is Thursday vs. the Devils.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:31 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Frolov can be put on LTIR....
That's what I was thinking.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

so RB, we can use the LTIR to pay for bonuses right? That's one thing I'm STILL not clear on

Could you give some examples with numbers and possible moves / bonus scenarios? Preferably explain it to me like I'm an idiot

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
so RB, we can use the LTIR to pay for bonuses right? That's one thing I'm STILL not clear on

Could you give some examples with numbers and possible moves / bonus scenarios? Preferably explain it to me like I'm an idiot
From my understanding of Article 50 of the CBA, which I read tonight, is that LTIR may be used to pay for both player salary and bonuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article 50.10 Player Injuries, Illnesses and Suspensions.
(d) Bona-Fide Long-TermInjury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit. In
the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and
unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes,
in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit
to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular
Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an
additional Player or Players to its Active Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and
Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase the Club's Averaged Club Salary to an
amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit
, solely as, and to the extent and for the
duration, set forth below. If, however, the League wishes to challenge the determination
of a Club physician that a Player is unfit to play for purposes of the Bona-Fide LongTerm Injury/Illness Exception, the League and the NHLPA shall promptly confer and
jointly select a neutral physician, who shall review the Club physician's determination
regarding the Player's fitness to play.
Also from my understanding we may, at any point in time, retroactively place Frolov and Prospal on LTIR to "cash in" accrued LTIR space which may be used to exceed the Upper Limit of the cap by the amount accrued.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:38 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
From my understanding of Article 50 of the CBA, which I read tonight, is that LTIR may be used to pay for both player salary and bonuses.

Also from my understanding we may, at any point in time, retroactively place Frolov and Prospal on LTIR to "cash in" accrued LTIR space which may be used to exceed the Upper Limit of the cap by the amount accrued.
Other examples in the CBA exclude bonuses as part of the averaged club salary when using LTIR.

You can exceed the cap by 7.5% for bonuses but those bonuses count next season.

Old
02-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Other examples in the CBA exclude bonuses as part of the averaged club salary when using LTIR.

You can exceed the cap by 7.5% for bonuses but those bonuses count next season.
So the CBA contradicts itself?

Which one is the correct answer?

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:58 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Prospal had his finest game since rejoining the club on Feb. 3 following a four-month rehab from knee surgery. Prospal, who registered a goal and an assist, has six points (3-3) in 10 games. By playing in his 10th game, Prospal earned a $1.4 million bonus on top of his $1.08 million base salary.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1F3sL4XtL

Old
02-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Its awesome how Prospal have been able to come back like he have.

Anyone know how the future look for Vinny? Apparantly he took two shots (/how do you say? Needels?) in his knee, and the swelling went away. Its sounds like he is hanging in there by a thin thread, but I am hardly a expert.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 06:17 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Honestly I'd be happy if Sather's hands are tied from adding salary at the deadline. That reduces the chances to nil that he pulls the trigger on shipping out any youth for a rental.

and might have the double benefit of forcing him to focus instead on moving a large contract and acquiring futures, which I'd be very pleased with.

I don't want a shiny new toy this spring. I'd much prefer to continue to build a team identity and set our chips up to make a big splash when our core is ready to carry us deep into the playoffs and just need a highly specialized piece or two to put them over the top.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 06:39 AM
McDonagh27

Good for Vinny. I for one am proud that he became a New York Ranger. The guy gives his all every night, and produces. Like others have said, it will probably prevent Slats from making band-aid moves that aren't good for the team's future anyway. He deserves this.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 06:58 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I know what you mean. If my math is right, Frolov was on the roster for 96 days before he got hurt, leaving 90 days left. If we were to go right up to the cap, then place Frolov on retroactive LTIR, we could go over the cap by:

3 mil * (90/186) = 1.45 mil

If Prospal comes back, that won't be enough to pay off our bonuses and we'd be forced to roll some of it over into next year.
LTIR space doesn't work that way. LTIR allows a team to exceed the cap by adding players with a total [non-prorated] contract amount equal to the injured player's contract. How many days the player is on LTIR doesn't affect the amount of replacement contracts that can be added.

If the Rangers do eventually place Frolov on LTIR they'll be able to exceed the cap by $3m in total non-prorated player contracts. The amount of payroll they'd actually be able to go over the cap would depend on when the replacement player(s) were added. If it had happened 50% through the season, the actual payroll overage could be $1.5m [50% of $3m]. If it was 75% of the way through the season the actual overage could be $750k [25% of $3m].

That's why there's no cap benefit to retroactively placing a player on LTIR vs. placing him on LTIR when you're about to exceed the cap. Unused LTIR space doesn't accumulate and pro-rate like unused Payroll space does. i.e. If a team had $1m in Payroll room at the start of the season and made no other changes, 50% of the way through the season they could add players with $2m in contracts, or 75% of the way through the season they could add players with $4m in total contracts. If a team had $0 Payroll room, but a player with a $1m contract went on LTIR day 1 of the season and the team made no other changes, then 50% of the way through the season they could add players with $1m in contracts, or at the 75% mark of the season could add players with $1m in contracts.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:07 AM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Honestly I'd be happy if Sather's hands are tied from adding salary at the deadline. That reduces the chances to nil that he pulls the trigger on shipping out any youth for a rental.

and might have the double benefit of forcing him to focus instead on moving a large contract and acquiring futures, which I'd be very pleased with.

I don't want a shiny new toy this spring. I'd much prefer to continue to build a team identity and set our chips up to make a big splash when our core is ready to carry us deep into the playoffs and just need a highly specialized piece or two to put them over the top.
Yeah, I totally agree. I'm ok with our shiny new toy being Wolski because he's been playing really well as of late and also, I like the kid. Let's see what this team can do. The only thing we may want to add is a veteran presence on D, but only if it's really really cheap. Otherwise, I'm ok with rolling the dice with what we've got.

Oh, unless that shiny new toy is a player like Stastny and only if the trade is another one of the good ones that Sather has been pulling off.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Garfinkel1

I was trying to find that clip from Any given Sunday where the guy gets his million dollar bonus at the end as they cart him off the field.

oh well

Good for Vinny, bad for the Rangers but I'm happy for him lol.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote