HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

CBC Players Poll: TM "Easy Coach to Play for"

Old
01-30-2011, 11:42 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
CBC Players Poll: TM "Easy Coach to Play for"

It's always interesting to hear what the players think. These are results from a poll of NHL players conducted by CBC and the NHLPA. TM is in some pretty good company.
The Kings are only mentioned twice.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/allstar/poll/

Which coach is the easiest to play for?
Bruce Boudreau: 21%
Barry Trotz: 12%
Dan Bylsma: 8%
Terry Murray: 5%
Dave Tippett: 4%

What rink has the worst ice?
BankAtlantic Center, Sunrise, Fla 20%
Madison Square Garden, New York: 14%
St. Pete Times Forum, Tampa, Fla.: 12%
Honda Center, Anaheim, Calif.: 10%
Staples Center, Los Angeles: 9%

Other Questions:

What team would you least like to play on?
New York Islanders: 27%
Edmonton Oilers: 20%
Atlanta Thrashers: 7%
Toronto Maple Leafs 5%
Florida Panthers: 2%

What team would you most like to play on?
Detroit Red Wings: 14%
Vancouver Canucks: 11% (tie)
Chicago Black Hawks: 11% (tie
)New York Rangers: 9%
Tampa Bay Lightning: 6%

What is your favourite rink to play in?
Bell Centre, Montreal: 40%
United Center, Chicago: 17%
Madison Square Garden, New York: 9%
Joe Louis Arena, Detroit: 7%
Rogers Arena, Vancouver: 6%

Should the instigator rule be abolished?
No: 66%
Yes: 33%
Depends: 0.3%
Dont care: 0.3%

Who is the hardest to take the puck off of?
Pavel Datsyuk: 36%
S. Crosby: 24%J.
Thornton: 8%R.
Nash: 3% (tie)

For goalies only: Which player is the most difficult to stop?
Alex Ovechkin: 27%
S. Crosby: 24
S. Stamkos: 14%
P. Datsyuk: 5% (tie)
A. Semin: 5% (tie)
H. Zetterberg: 3% (tie)

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I recall reading about Terry Murray being one of the easier coaches to play for back when he was coaching the Flyers. He is known to be a player's coach. Rarely do you ever hear about him punishing players with a bag skate. The most controversial thing he's ever done is saying his team choked when they lost to Detroit in the 1997 Finals.

As for the ice surface being considered among the worst in the NHL, players have been saying this for years. I've skated on Anaheim's ice and it really is terrible. The arenas with the most amount of events and changeovers tend to be the ones that end up with the worst ice surface (MSG and Staples being two of the busiest arenas in the US). Notice that the best ice surfaces tend to be those that don't have as many events going on in there.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Alternate Jersey

wow, that's interesting. i wonder what it is that makes a coach "easy" to play for. cause it's obviously got nothing to do with intensity, considering the disparity between TM and boudreau...

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:15 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I recall reading about Terry Murray being one of the easier coaches to play for back when he was coaching the Flyers. He is known to be a player's coach. Rarely do you ever hear about him punishing players with a bag skate. The most controversial thing he's ever done is saying his team choked when they lost to Detroit in the 1997 Finals.

As for the ice surface being considered among the worst in the NHL, players have been saying this for years. I've skated on Anaheim's ice and it really is terrible. The arenas with the most amount of events and changeovers tend to be the ones that end up with the worst ice surface (MSG and Staples being two of the busiest arenas in the US). Notice that the best ice surfaces tend to be those that don't have as many events going on in there.
I've played at Honda and at Staples and I thought Honda had better ice. BUT, I play hockey in SoCal so I have no idea what good ice is. TM doesn't seem like a guy who will scream at you, I think that makes him easy to play for. He has a set system and he does not stray from that one bit, we all know that. You're going to get line juggline, the puck will be dumped and you will grind the corners. Other than that have a nice day!

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:55 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I've played at Honda and at Staples and I thought Honda had better ice. BUT, I play hockey in SoCal so I have no idea what good ice is. TM doesn't seem like a guy who will scream at you, I think that makes him easy to play for. He has a set system and he does not stray from that one bit, we all know that. You're going to get line juggline, the puck will be dumped and you will grind the corners. Other than that have a nice day!
Quite a difference playing at a barn in February when it is -27 celsius(-3 or-4F) than when it is 50 F...
Ever skate on a pond before?
You can`t really complain or critique ice when living in Cali..

I believe Zezel stated that Murray was the easiest coach he played for on Off the Record, which he was a frequent participant in Canada.
My favorite is when Mike Keenan was coach of the Flyers when one of my buddies played D there....1987
`Coach....What do I do when Gretz gets on the ice``
answer...
You get the **** off the ice immediately!!!!
Classic.
I highly doubt Terry Murray would ever say this to any of his D when Crosby hops on the ice.... Though he should!

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:41 AM
Santeh

Quote:
I played junior hockey in SoCal (the rink was called Ice Chalet if I recall correctly, but has been torn down from understanding) and then went on to play hockey at a rink while attending college in Hawai'i at a place called the Ice Palace (please see: http://www.icepalacehawaii.com/). After college I went to grad. school in Tampa, Florida, and have played on most the rinks in both Tampa and St. Petersburg.

However, if you want bad ice I came across what was the worst in my experience this winter as my wife and I went to visit her family in Bangkok, Thailand. The "rink" was terribly small and more like a club get together spot than anything else. Yet I was amazed to find ice in Thailand at all and was delighted to do any kind of skating as it had been around 5 weeks at that point since I had been able to. However, for the first time in awhile I was actually a bit nervous to get on the ice as both the rental "skates" were horrible and the ice was more like water.

I took a quick look for a picture on the net and found this:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...81/tpod.html#_

I do not know who the people are thus who took the photos, but if you look at the second to last row you can see two pictures of people skating at this "rink." It was quite an experience! And, to be honest, both SoCal and Floridian ice look like Canadian ice after this event. Nevertheless, I was appreciative that Bangkok had the ice and felt thankful for skating there (especially since I did not break any bones).

Always...

Santeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

You don't even have to play hockey to see that the ice at Staples sucks. I honestly believe that it is an advantage for the Kings. They seem to know how the puck responds on their ice. Other teams seem to struggle with it.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 11:23 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
You don't even have to play hockey to see that the ice at Staples sucks. I honestly believe that it is an advantage for the Kings. They seem to know how the puck responds on their ice. Other teams seem to struggle with it.
It needs to be about 10 degrees colder inside Staples.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Quattro

poll result on the instigator rule is very interesting. Seems to be diametrically opposed to what the fans (or at least the hardcore fans) seem to think.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
meman

So worst Ice goes to 2 Florida team, 2 California teams, And New York?

Really suprised at New York's name being in there. Original six team, you would think they would have this figured out by now.

meman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
So worst Ice goes to 2 Florida team, 2 California teams, And New York?

Really suprised at New York's name being in there. Original six team, you would think they would have this figured out by now.
The Garden isn't a modern rink.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
LOL, KopitarFan will be upset about the Kings being in the bottom 5 of Ice conditions.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:32 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The Garden isn't a modern rink.
Plus, it's on the 5th floor of the building, right?

Old
01-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Johnny Utah

Peter Zezel said this about TM on OTR.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
It needs to be about 10 degrees colder inside Staples.
I'm not sure that would help much, honestly. This comes about from having 3 professional teams + other events going on throughout hockey season. The ice surface just isn't the top priority for the venue.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:41 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

I could have sworn that Dallas had worse ice than we do... After all...they use a Slurpee Machine to scrape the ice instead of a Zamboni...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

I, too, suffer from having played primarily in So Cal, so as far as a knowledgeable opinion re:ice condition across North America, its not going to come from me. That said I have skaetd on much better ice in Canada than here. But Staples has far better ice than rinks like Culver City, el Segundo, Panorama City, Bay Harbor, Paramount or Simi Valley.

Santeh,

All the Ice Capades Chalets (that I ever knew of) are gone with the exception of Rancho palos Verdes. I skated in those rinks in Topanga plaza mall, North Hollywood mall, Palm Desert Mall and several others as a kid. The rinks were all smaller than regulation size and had horrible ice. The ice in the Hawaii Ice palace also sucks, but at least they have an ice rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
I'm not sure that would help much, honestly. This comes about from having 3 professional teams + other events going on throughout hockey season. The ice surface just isn't the top priority for the venue.
Disagree. Ambient temperature absolutely is a factor, along with humidity to a good ice surface for hockey purposes. If it was colder the ice would be better and the temperature in Canadian arena's, at least the ones I've been is often at least 5 degrees or more colder than Staples.

Nevertheless, as far as SoCal ice, I love skating at Staples. we get the ice befoer every King-Red Wing game for 2 hours and its a blast.

As for TM being the "easiest coach" to play for, I don't know if thats a good thing or not. I tend to think it might not be, particularly if you want to establish a culture here as DL always seems to bring up.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
It wouldn't hurt. The temps in the building are problem across the league, I played a beer league game at the Xcel Energy Center here in Minnesota a few years ago and the ice is pretty close to the worst I'd ever skated on... They keep that building pretty warm and the ice is horribly soft. A couple of guys on the team were joking about 5 of the 6 rinks in our hometown are better than the Xcel ice. I've only skated on two rinks on the west coast one at the Coyotes practice rink and once at an outdoor rink in San Fran and both were far and away the worst conditions I'd seen.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I've skated on a lot of rinks in Cali, my favorite is probably Snoopy's in Santa Rosa. Pasadena has one of the worst rinks and ice surfaces, not a big fan of Glacial Gardens either. What sticks out to be about bad ice surfaces is that they are choppy, dips in corners and along the boards (like in Pasadena).

Old
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I, too, suffer from having played primarily in So Cal, so as far as a knowledgeable opinion re:ice condition across North America, its not going to come from me. That said I have skaetd on much better ice in Canada than here. But Staples has far better ice than rinks like Culver City, el Segundo, Panorama City, Bay Harbor, Paramount or Simi Valley.

Santeh,

All the Ice Capades Chalets (that I ever knew of) are gone with the exception of Rancho palos Verdes. I skated in those rinks in Topanga plaza mall, North Hollywood mall, Palm Desert Mall and several others as a kid. The rinks were all smaller than regulation size and had horrible ice. The ice in the Hawaii Ice palace also sucks, but at least they have an ice rink!

Disagree. Ambient temperature absolutely is a factor, along with humidity to a good ice surface for hockey purposes. If it was colder the ice would be better and the temperature in Canadian arena's, at least the ones I've been is often at least 5 degrees or more colder than Staples.

Nevertheless, as far as SoCal ice, I love skating at Staples. we get the ice befoer every King-Red Wing game for 2 hours and its a blast.

As for TM being the "easiest coach" to play for, I don't know if thats a good thing or not. I tend to think it might not be, particularly if you want to establish a culture here as DL always seems to bring up.
You think Simi Valley and Paramount had terrible ice, really? Maybe we skated there at different times, but they both had some of the best ice in SoCal when I was there,

When did you skate up at Panorama, I used to work there for a while and they had one of the best ice men in SoCal,

Anyways, I've skated in LA, NorCal, Las Vegas, BC, NY, PA, and Toronto, and the ice with the exception of Las Vegas, is comparable, there some rinks in Toronto where you are skating on sand, and some that have beautiful ice,

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 09:45 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
I've skated on a lot of rinks in Cali, my favorite is probably Snoopy's in Santa Rosa. Pasadena has one of the worst rinks and ice surfaces, not a big fan of Glacial Gardens either. What sticks out to be about bad ice surfaces is that they are choppy, dips in corners and along the boards (like in Pasadena).
LOL Pasadena, talk about some memories, yea, they never had good ice, maybe I am biased here, but I grew up in Pickwick, and nothing I have found since beats their fresh ice at 6am...

Old
01-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL Pasadena, talk about some memories, yea, they never had good ice, maybe I am biased here, but I grew up in Pickwick, and nothing I have found since beats their fresh ice at 6am...
You're right about Burbank, I enjoyed playing there a lot when I was a kid. I believe they filmed some scenes from the Mighty Ducks movie at Pickwick did they not?

Old
01-31-2011, 10:27 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
You're right about Burbank, I enjoyed playing there a lot when I was a kid. I believe they filmed some scenes from the Mighty Ducks movie at Pickwick did they not?
They did and they even had some local kids in it...

Old
02-01-2011, 12:06 AM
johnjm22

I suppose it doesn't say anything technically, but I think it's interesting that Terry is in such good company. Boudreau, Trotz, Bylsma, and Tippett are all excellent coaches IMO.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:29 AM
markisonfire

Simi's ice is good until you get to the zamboni end on the NHL rink, at that point just give up and let the other guy break his stick trying to get the puck out of the divot there. Also, is there a colder rink than Simi Valley?

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote