HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travel advice

Old
01-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post

And I'll hold you to that resource tag haha. I am flying into LAX, great to know there's a bus that'll take me to Union Station.
It is called the "Flyaway"...

http://www.lawa.org/flyaway/

costs ~$5 each way. You'll pick it up by walking out of the baggage claim and going into the island in the road where you'll see various rental car shuttles etc. Just look for the sign that says "Flyaway" and wait there (I believe it is green). Once at union station, just ask somebody how to get to the red line. You'll have to go in the building and downstairs.

You can also take a free shuttle from LAX to the Green Line (light Rail) station, take that east (towards Norwalk) and then exit at the blue line and take the blue line north (towards Downtown LA). The blue line ends at an intersection with the Red Line (7th Street/Metro Center) so you'd just go upstairs and hop on the red line north from there. I'm not sure which is quicker but my guess is the Flyaway because you won't have to do as much switching. But if you plan on taking more metro bus/trains that same day, a day pass is $6 and might be more value to you.

Make sure that EITHER way you go, you TAKE A RED line train and NOT A PURPLE line train. The Purple line will take you to the westside, not Hollywood. I tell you that because the trains run on the same tracks at either station you'll be at.

EDIT: Here is a map of all the Metro rail:
http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/ma...s/rail_map.pdf

Here is Metrolink which will take you all over so cal (not sure if this is of any use)..

http://metrolinktrains.com/

Oh and definitely hit up Venice. It is a freakshow!

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 01-29-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Just a FYI - Getting a cab here requires a lot more effort than it does in many major cities. In most cases you'll have to call ahead to have them pick you up rather than being able to just hail one on the street
And cabs come in absurd colors like green, blue, red, etc. verses simple yellow.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
And cabs come in absurd colors like green, blue, red, etc. verses simple yellow.
yes as others sad..plan to call for cabs on your phone

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Hey guys, just a little update.

I just booked a hotel right on Hollywood blvd, got a metro station a minute away and got it for 80$/night with a few coupons. It's a Days Inn and looks alright so I don't think I'll be sleeping with the cockroaches haha.

Flying out Thursday morning, I'll be taking the FlyAway van from LAX to Union Station and metro from there to my hotel.

This was all simplified by your help, so thank you very much for all the advice, especially Buddy with the public transit support.

If you guys ever want info about Montreal, it'll be a pleasure to help.

Thanks!

Go Kings! (... and Habs!)

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Capn Brown

You want travel advice, eh? Stay the hell out of North Africa!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
You want travel advice, eh? Stay the hell out of North Africa!
Really?

After L.A., I wanted to drop by Cairo for a few days and then Lebanon, Syria and Ivory Coast just to cap it off.

Old
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Hey guys, just a little update.

I just booked a hotel right on Hollywood blvd, got a metro station a minute away and got it for 80$/night with a few coupons. It's a Days Inn and looks alright so I don't think I'll be sleeping with the cockroaches haha.

Flying out Thursday morning, I'll be taking the FlyAway van from LAX to Union Station and metro from there to my hotel.

This was all simplified by your help, so thank you very much for all the advice, especially Buddy with the public transit support.

If you guys ever want info about Montreal, it'll be a pleasure to help.

Thanks!

Go Kings! (... and Habs!)
Humm

Sounds like you are traveling around in circles for this.

I would have stayed at a hotel at LAX or at least get a hotel that provides free transportation to and from the hotel and airport.

Anyways, have a good time! I was just in LA back on the 20th and stayed at the Millenium Biltmore near Staples Center. A nice place. Good luck with Hollywood though!

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Humm

Sounds like you are traveling around in circles for this.

I would have stayed at a hotel at LAX or at least get a hotel that provides free transportation to and from the hotel and airport.

Anyways, have a good time! I was just in LA back on the 20th and stayed at the Millenium Biltmore near Staples Center. A nice place. Good luck with Hollywood though!
I thought about getting a hotel closer to LAX, but the most part of my time will be spent around Hollywood so I felt it was better to get a hotel in that area. I'm not going to Santa Monica, Culver City or any other areas close to LAX so it was kind of a waste to stay there, would have made travelling time even more important.

Thanks for the well-wishes, I'm sure I'll have lots of fun!

Old
02-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
I thought about getting a hotel closer to LAX, but the most part of my time will be spent around Hollywood so I felt it was better to get a hotel in that area. I'm not going to Santa Monica, Culver City or any other areas close to LAX so it was kind of a waste to stay there, would have made travelling time even more important. Thanks for the well-wishes, I'm sure I'll have lots of fun!
No prob! Good thing you didnt pick Sants Monica though. I went there 3 years ago and while much of it is nice its was an eyesore to see so many homeless and gansters hanging out in the streets of the very rich areas of.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

For those who care (if any)

I came back yesterday and had a wonderful trip. I actually didn't mind the LA transit system at all, I'd even say it's superior to Montreal's, at least bus-wise.

We visited Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice, Santa Monica, Downtown and walked our ***** off haha. Never felt threatened at any moment and we walked quite a bit at night around Hollywood. We had wonderful weather as the LA locals know and it was just great times.

Be proud of your city guys, it's not perfect but it is fantastic and I'd move there tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

Once again, thanks for everything. I'll be back!

Old
02-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
[QUOTE=Turtleneck Plek;30754388]For those who care (if any)

I came back yesterday and had a wonderful trip. I actually didn't mind the LA transit system at all, I'd even say it's superior to Montreal's, at least bus-wise.

We visited Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice, Santa Monica, Downtown and walked our ***** off haha. Never felt threatened at any moment and we walked quite a bit at night around Hollywood. We had wonderful weather as the LA locals know and it was just great times.

Be proud of your city guys, it's not perfect but it is fantastic and I'd move there tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

Once again, thanks for everything.
Glad to hear you had a fun trip and loved LA!

Quote:
I'll be back!
Hey pal ,we already had a Governator

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote