HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rentals

Old
02-01-2011, 10:10 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Rentals

What are everyones thoughts on rentals for this season. When healthy, this team can be a contender, and they should be able to formulate a good idea of where they are in the next few weeks before the deadline. They have A LOT of depth so its hard to see who they could go after to improve the team without pushing out a young player.

Here is a general list of the top-12 rentals as of right now:

http://asterixcanada.wordpress.com/2...rade-deadline/

For me, Kaberle and Phillips are the most intriguing. At the deadline, the Rangers should be able to fit in any of those players for the remainder of the season.

Who would people be okay with seeing moved? What picks?

I figure we can use this thread to speculate a little bit and as the deadline gets closer possibly discuss all the rumors that we all know will show up as the Rangers always have quite a few around this time of year.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Kaberle is the only guy that interests me. Phillips is a nice player but somewhat redundant.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
I think I rather take my chances.

02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

def don't want philips

kaberle is interesting but will cost too much and we won't be able to re-sign him and go after richards. not to mention i like our kid dmen.

i probably stand pat. all the guys coming back from injury will be a big enough bonus no need for any deals

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
NYR Viper

So we are all okay with heading into the playoffs with:

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-Eminger
McDonagh-Gilroy

To me, if they can upgrade Gilroy, I would be ecstatic. I think Phillips makes a lot of sense for something like that. Solid veteran who has playoff experience. Play him 17-20 minutes a night and let him help solidify the defense. No need to play him top-pairing.

Gilroy + WAS 2nd for Phillips

On forward, I honestly don't see anyone worth taking a shot at. Wolski was the move that made a lot of sense. Depending on the health of the club I wouldnt be overly upset with moving a player like Christensen for a draft pick just to get something for him as I dont see him around next season anyways.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I'd only be interested in a rental defenseman if we can flip Gilroy and a spare forward.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
So we are all okay with heading into the playoffs with:

Staal-Girardi
Sauer-Eminger
McDonagh-Gilroy

To me, if they can upgrade Gilroy, I would be ecstatic. I think Phillips makes a lot of sense for something like that. Solid veteran who has playoff experience. Play him 17-20 minutes a night and let him help solidify the defense. No need to play him top-pairing.

Gilroy + WAS 2nd for Phillips

On forward, I honestly don't see anyone worth taking a shot at. Wolski was the move that made a lot of sense. Depending on the health of the club I wouldnt be overly upset with moving a player like Christensen for a draft pick just to get something for him as I dont see him around next season anyways.
Phillips makes absolutely no sense to me. If you're going to upgrade a D slot, we need a puck mover, not yet another stay at home defenseman. Kaberle makes the most sense, but I have no interest in the delusional cost I am certain that Burke will expect. He'd go a long way in fixing the PP, but ultimately, I don't think Kaberle gets traded due to what Burke will be looking for (assuming of course that Kaberle even waives his NTC).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What are everyones thoughts on rentals for this season. When healthy, this team can be a contender, and they should be able to formulate a good idea of where they are in the next few weeks before the deadline. They have A LOT of depth so its hard to see who they could go after to improve the team without pushing out a young player.

Here is a general list of the top-12 rentals as of right now:

http://asterixcanada.wordpress.com/2...rade-deadline/

For me, Kaberle and Phillips are the most intriguing. At the deadline, the Rangers should be able to fit in any of those players for the remainder of the season.

Who would people be okay with seeing moved? What picks?

I figure we can use this thread to speculate a little bit and as the deadline gets closer possibly discuss all the rumors that we all know will show up as the Rangers always have quite a few around this time of year.
With the weak draft and an extra 2 round pick I could see the Ranger's making a move built around that pick for a solid defenseman aka Karerle or Phillips.

Out of all the defensemen available I might take my chance on McCabe because Kaberle will most likely cost more then I want to give up and Phillips looks slower then Redden.

Last edited by howztheglass: 02-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.
howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

We shouldn't waste picks on rentals. I love Kaberle, but I would only be interested in acquiring him if it meant we were going to re-sign him to a reasonable contract, and that would probably preclude us from going after Richards, so no.

Getting back all these guys from injury is akin to getting rentals. We're still not a contender, and we shouldn't waste assets like picks, especially not either of our 2nds. We should wait and try to package those picks to move up during the draft and nab a high-end talent, if possible.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Vitto79

I am for upgrading the D with a rental if it takes Gilroy to get it that's fine. Would prefer not giving up the 2nd but I think it's likely to happen. Basically it's like dealing Sanguinetti

Kaberle, Pitkanen, McCabe , Jovanovski. Those are the names that stick out but who knows who will be available. you have to think the Yotes and Canes have a shot to make the playoffs so they wont sell but FLA and TO will be selling

If there is a cheaper option like Babchuk I would entertain that too

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I'd only be interested in a rental defenseman if we can flip Gilroy and a spare forward.
my standard Gilroy , Christensen package

Is anyone really going to be that pissed if they deal these two plus lets say a 3rd rounder for solid offensive Dman for the PP? I know the team is building for next yr and beyond but why not take a stab at it?. The Canadians went to the finals last yr for crying out loud

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Honestly, the only one on that list I would even consider is Kaberle. As has already been stated, the price Burke is going to want is most likely going to be too ridiculous for a team like us to consider. Getting Kaberle does not make us Stanley Cup contenders, so why waste the assets?

The only way I give up what is needed to get Kaberle is if we already have made a deal for elite offensive help, ala Richards. The addition of Richards AND Kaberle, along with getting healthy, could make this team serious contenders. I don't think its unreasonable to think that we could make a serious run with a healthy roster plus Richards and Kaberle. How much it would take in the way of assets to make that happen is a whole other issue though.

If we do end up making moves for rentals, we should do it all the way.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

I Want Brad Richards

He Will Make Us A Contender

That Is All

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
We shouldn't waste picks on rentals. I love Kaberle, but I would only be interested in acquiring him if it meant we were going to re-sign him to a reasonable contract, and that would probably preclude us from going after Richards, so no.

Getting back all these guys from injury is akin to getting rentals. We're still not a contender, and we shouldn't waste assets like picks, especially not either of our 2nds. We should wait and try to package those picks to move up during the draft and nab a high-end talent, if possible.
Win.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
I Want Brad Richards

That Is All
I want Sidney Crosby

He will Make Us A Champion

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he'll be available at the deadline. Despite his free agency, I think the chances of Dallas moving Richards where they sit in the standings are close to the chances of the Penguins moving Crosby -- not something the team would consider.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
I Want Brad Richards

That Is All
Not with our current defense.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:08 AM
gravytrain6t

Burke probably knows he will have to take what he can get. Especially if he has no plans of bringing Kaberle back next year, he may as well get something. To add an experienced qb defense man would help this team significantly. Not to mention Kaberle is good in all situations.

If this team can stay healthy, and add a veteran defenseman like Kaberle who would fill a huge void for this team (on the pp), I think they will be really difficult for any Eastern Conference team to beat in a long series (as resilient as this team is). Especially if Lundqvist gets "hot."

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:

I like the way your thinking here. Since we will never tank, or, with our core, come in worst then just outside the playoff brackets. That may just be the only way we ever get a high draft pick in the near future.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Not with our current defense.
i can more than live with our current defense. we arent losing games to good team because of our defense. we are losing because we dont score goals and our pp bloes horse.

brad richards helps address both problems instantly.

if we can trade and sign for 3-4 yrs brad richards with a package built around this years no. 1 and evgeny grachev and michael del zotto i say go hard after him. we need to make a serious play for him. hes still a dynamic player. if we put a package together and it aint good enough, so be it.

this guy has played for and won with torts. dont discount that.

hank and gaby are in their prime. we owe it to them to make an attempt to become a serious contender soon while still keeping our core together.

not sure that deal would get it done but its a start.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:

I've been of the same thinking for a while now. The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of it. I think we have the assets to move into the top-7 at least - try and get a Huberdeau or a Strome.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
bscharf

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I want Sidney Crosby

He will Make Us A Champion

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he'll be available at the deadline. Despite his free agency, I think the chances of Dallas moving Richards where they sit in the standings are close to the chances of the Penguins moving Crosby -- not something the team would consider.

The stars would want to move richards at the deadline so they get something for him rather than waiting till the end of the season and getting nothing in return ...so idk what youre talking about.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
i can more than live with our current defense. we arent losing games to good team because of our defense. we are losing because we dont score goals and our pp bloes horse.

i can more than live with this defense if it means we can trade for brad richards with a package built around this years no. 1 and evgeny grachev and michael del zotto.

we need to make a serious play for him. hes still a dynamic player. if we put a package together and it aint good enough, so be it.

hank and gaby are in their prime. we owe it to them to make an attempt to become a serious contender soon while still keeping our core together.

Dallas isn't trading Richards unless;

-They are out of contention.
-They get a great offer.

I have no problem adding Richards to this team, but not at the expense of some of our players. Any of our players, actually. (Aside from the scrubs that have no future on this team).

Go after him July 1st.

Our defense has been solid. They have certainly overachieved when you consider how raw and inexperienced they are. But in a 7 game series, I'm not sure how they will perform against teams with legitimate depth.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:24 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

if we can trade and sign for 3-4 yrs brad richards with a package built around this years no. 1 and evgeny grachev and michael del zotto i say go hard after him. we need to make a serious play for him. hes still a dynamic player. if we put a package together and it aint good enough, so be it.

Dude, if Richards were on the table, I have absolutely no doubt the Rangers would be trading for him by the deadline, even if it cost them their #1, a good young defenseman like a McDonagh, and a Grachev. But that isn't happening because Dallas isn't going to trade him. Don't worry, if he hits free agency, he'll be a Ranger next season. Mark my words. But the fact that we dealt Rozsival for Wolski tells you that Richards isn't getting traded. Otherwise, Rozsival would still be here until later this month, when he'd be a Star.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:24 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
The stars would want to move richards at the deadline so they get something for him rather than waiting till the end of the season and getting nothing in return ...so idk what youre talking about.
The Stars are 6th in the NHL at the moment. Also, they've allegedly told him that he won't be traded.

For a team with financial trouble, the $1m+ earned from each home playoff game is huge.

Quote:
@Buccigross - I've been told Brad Richards of the Dallas Stars has been told by Dallas management he will not be traded this year.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
Not while they're in 2nd place, because they, you know, want to win.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote