HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

International Football (Soccer)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
  #26
JBurd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mt Pleasant, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
well... we all know that Carroll is hurt right now, so odds are they're not even 100% putting him through it.
I never realized there was EPL chatter in this thread. I've been a big LFC supporter for a long time, and there seem to be a decent number of other fans in the DC area.

Carroll's medical will be a lot like Aquilani's last year, though Carroll is reportedly not that far away from playing. Toon had said he might be available for this weekend's games, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was ready to go against Chelsea.

Heard the Adam deal might be dead, Blackpool are standing firm over their fee and Liverpool are reluctant to meet it. Wouldn't be surprised either way at this point, but I'd like to see one more signing in, either Adam or a proper winger.

Just put 2 and 2 together that you post on the Big Soccer forum too. I read that forum and RAWK a lot but don't really post. Good to see more fellow LFC supporters.

JBurd is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
  #27
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Suarez and Carroll for Torres and $20 mil? Meh...

I don't know if Liverpool really got too much better and they made a team above them a lot better.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 03:12 PM
  #28
JBurd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mt Pleasant, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Suarez and Carroll for Torres and $20 mil? Meh...

I don't know if Liverpool really got too much better and they made a team above them a lot better.
It really breaks down to Suarez and Carroll for Torres and Babel. Both total to about 57 million.

I don't know how successful Torres will be with Chelsea, he was dropped from Spain's starting XI at the World Cup because he didn't partner effectively with Villa, and he's always been his best as a lone striker. Will be interesting to see how he does playing with Drogba.

JBurd is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 04:17 PM
  #29
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurd View Post
It really breaks down to Suarez and Carroll for Torres and Babel. Both total to about 57 million.

I don't know how successful Torres will be with Chelsea, he was dropped from Spain's starting XI at the World Cup because he didn't partner effectively with Villa, and he's always been his best as a lone striker. Will be interesting to see how he does playing with Drogba.
Fine Suarez and Carroll for Torres, Babel, and $10 mil. I still feel the same way. And Babel is a winger, which is a position you said you'd like them to add.

And Torres lost his spot at the World Cup because he was hurt. When healthy he and Villa are great together. That was never the case at the World Cup though.

Basically this comes down to IMO Carroll not being worth what they paid to pry him out of Newcastle. He is a nice player but nowhere near roughly 75% of Torres. If they got both those guys for roughly what they sold Torres for this works more for me.

And still the idea of Torres playing off Drogba is scary.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 04:51 PM
  #30
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Fine Suarez and Carroll for Torres, Babel, and $10 mil. I still feel the same way. And Babel is a winger, which is a position you said you'd like them to add.

And Torres lost his spot at the World Cup because he was hurt. When healthy he and Villa are great together. That was never the case at the World Cup though.

Basically this comes down to IMO Carroll not being worth what they paid to pry him out of Newcastle. He is a nice player but nowhere near roughly 75% of Torres. If they got both those guys for roughly what they sold Torres for this works more for me.

And still the idea of Torres playing off Drogba is scary.
Babel's not really a winger. There's not a doubt in my mind that Liverpool have improved. They'll finally be a threat from set pieces with Carroll (who's scored more with worse supporting personnel than Torres this season), and Suarez's goal-scoring record has been ridiculous at Ajax (81 goals in 110 games).

We'll see how Torres does at Chelsea. It'll be interesting.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
  #31
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Babel's not really a winger. There's not a doubt in my mind that Liverpool have improved. They'll finally be a threat from set pieces with Carroll (who's scored more with worse supporting personnel than Torres this season), and Suarez's goal-scoring record has been ridiculous at Ajax (81 goals in 110 games).

We'll see how Torres does at Chelsea. It'll be interesting.
Babel isn't a winger? That is all he is, a winger trained at the ultimate school for wingers. Nobody sticks with playing with 2 out and out wingers like Ajax. I like Suarez a ton and Ajax is going to miss him a lot and again I like Carroll but he is overpriced by quite a bit simply because he is English.

They are now saying the Torres fee is 50 mil pounds instead of 45 so with the Babel fee of around 6 that makes it about a wash but I still feel they overpaid by a lot for an English guy simply because he is English. Heck I bet they could have had Dzeko and used what they saved there to get Adam out of Blackpool.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 07:42 PM
  #32
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Babel isn't a winger? That is all he is, a winger trained at the ultimate school for wingers. Nobody sticks with playing with 2 out and out wingers like Ajax. I like Suarez a ton and Ajax is going to miss him a lot and again I like Carroll but he is overpriced by quite a bit simply because he is English.

They are now saying the Torres fee is 50 mil pounds instead of 45 so with the Babel fee of around 6 that makes it about a wash but I still feel they overpaid by a lot for an English guy simply because he is English. Heck I bet they could have had Dzeko and used what they saved there to get Adam out of Blackpool.
Babel may have been trained as a winger, but that's not his best position. It might not be his second best position either. He doesn't provide any width, can rarely beat a man and maintain possession, and is a pretty terrible crosser. His best position is striker, followed by an attacking midfielder.

He really hasn't provided anything to Liverpool for a few seasons now.

Carroll was an overpayment, for sure. But their hand was forced by the Spanish Judas *****. If he'd put in a transfer request at the beginning of the window, they could have gone in for Dzeko, or any number of options abroad. Since they had no time, they went after the best upside they could get on short notice. Carroll has the potential to be a dominant striker, and if he becomes England's #9 (which is likely), he'll sell a lot of shirts.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
  #33
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,636
vCash: 500
I'm loving this EPL talk. I need to find a team to hitch my wagon to. Initially I was leaning towards Chelsea because I like Drogba and Lampard, but you guys make em sound like the Yankees (ick) of the EPL.

Torres and Drogba is going to be very interesting. I've liked Suarez since I was able to watch him a lot in the World Cup. Hope he does well.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
01-31-2011, 10:04 PM
  #34
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,558
vCash: 500
Yuck Chelski bunch of plastic rent boys

Chimaera is online now  
Old
02-01-2011, 08:25 AM
  #35
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Babel may have been trained as a winger, but that's not his best position. It might not be his second best position either. He doesn't provide any width, can rarely beat a man and maintain possession, and is a pretty terrible crosser. His best position is striker, followed by an attacking midfielder.

He really hasn't provided anything to Liverpool for a few seasons now.

Carroll was an overpayment, for sure. But their hand was forced by the Spanish Judas *****. If he'd put in a transfer request at the beginning of the window, they could have gone in for Dzeko, or any number of options abroad. Since they had no time, they went after the best upside they could get on short notice. Carroll has the potential to be a dominant striker, and if he becomes England's #9 (which is likely), he'll sell a lot of shirts.
It isn't looking good now that Carroll is claiming he didn't want to leave Newcastle and was forced out as Ashley wanted the money.

And as far as Babel goes Liverpool bought him and thinking he would be the next Henry like winger come striker as he was big and fast and had excellent ball control like Henry when he came to Arsenal. But he didn't have the same mentality. He is a 4-3-3 Dutch school winger, which is different than a 4-2-3-1 attacking outside mid like Benitez played, and very different than a 4-4-2 outside mid that Hodgson played and Dalglish is playing.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 08:49 AM
  #36
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
And how is Torres a Judas? He signed his last deal with assurances that Liverpool were going to bring in some top level guys and play Champions League football again next season. How has that worked out? He was willing to stay for 1 season and see if they could get back in the Champions League and that clearly isn't happening so he decided he wanted to move. Most players of his level wouldn't have even given their team that. So he was supposed to just stick around and play in the Europa League again next season? No way...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 08:55 AM
  #37
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,843
vCash: 500
This stuff is great. Any interest in starting up an OT EPL thread, much like the video games thread? I have interest, limited viewing opportunity and nearly zero knowledge about the sport, much less league goings on. Would love to see a thread like that here, updated regularly, and lurk. There's a soccer board on Page 2, but it's not the same as the group here.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
  #38
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
This stuff is great. Any interest in starting up an OT EPL thread, much like the video games thread? I have interest, limited viewing opportunity and nearly zero knowledge about the sport, much less league goings on. Would love to see a thread like that here, updated regularly, and lurk. There's a soccer board on Page 2, but it's not the same as the group here.
I'd try to contribute. I know there are a lot of Liverpool supporters around here so whenever something happens with them I check here to see what they are saying but other than that I don't usually check in here for soccer talk so I am sure I miss a decent amount of it as I do sometimes stumble upon it well after the fact.

And I wouldn't just make it an EPL thread, more a soccer in general thread but I'd try to contribute either way. I don't post on other boards as Ajax for nothing...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
  #39
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,843
vCash: 500
Good point. EPL probably gets the most North American attention, but a thread for European league football in general would be welcome. I've never been able to get past the casual/time difference hurdles to following league play for any length of time. World Cup and that's been it.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 09:51 AM
  #40
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And how is Torres a Judas? He signed his last deal with assurances that Liverpool were going to bring in some top level guys and play Champions League football again next season. How has that worked out? He was willing to stay for 1 season and see if they could get back in the Champions League and that clearly isn't happening so he decided he wanted to move. Most players of his level wouldn't have even given their team that. So he was supposed to just stick around and play in the Europa League again next season? No way...
He reiterated his commitment to Liverpool on January 9th, saying that he wouldn't leave. He's also stated that Liverpool is the only English club he'd play for. Things were finally starting to turn around for the club, and he submits a transfer request to a rival 3 days before the window closes, nearly screwing the club over. And this was immediately after they'd just spent 23 million GBP on a player to complement him in the attack. Complete and utter betrayal.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
  #41
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Good point. EPL probably gets the most North American attention, but a thread for European league football in general would be welcome. I've never been able to get past the casual/time difference hurdles to following league play for any length of time. World Cup and that's been it.
Well obviously the interweb is great for keeping up with what is going on but yeah actually watching games can be difficult, especially if you are a stickler for not knowing the result before you watch the game. League games are usually on weekends so it is just a matter of remembering that game are on in the morning but European games are mid week around 3 pm east coast time so unless you work from home you definitely need to fire up the DVR. Usually I DVR around 10 games a week between the EPL, Bundesliga, Spanish League, Serie A, and Champions League and once they get into the knock out stages of the Europa League I start watching some of those also if the matchup is interesting.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
  #42
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
It isn't looking good now that Carroll is claiming he didn't want to leave Newcastle and was forced out as Ashley wanted the money.

And as far as Babel goes Liverpool bought him and thinking he would be the next Henry like winger come striker as he was big and fast and had excellent ball control like Henry when he came to Arsenal. But he didn't have the same mentality. He is a 4-3-3 Dutch school winger, which is different than a 4-2-3-1 attacking outside mid like Benitez played, and very different than a 4-4-2 outside mid that Hodgson played and Dalglish is playing.
Dalglish is playing a 4-3-3 on the ball and 4-5-1 off of it (for the most part).

I could buy considering Babel as a wide forward, but not a classic winger that's supposed to provide width. And I think his lack of ball control and any sort of footballing brain is what made Babel unnecessary to Liverpool.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 09:59 AM
  #43
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,743
vCash: 500
And on the EPL/European Soccer front, Sopcast is essential if you want to follow the sport.

I can typically watch every Liverpool game via some sort of stream. I can see how it would be problematic for the midweek games, depending on your job. Love weekend games though. There's nearly always a quality EPL game on at 10:30ish EST.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
  #44
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke
 
QuadrupleDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And on the EPL/European Soccer front, Sopcast is essential if you want to follow the sport.

I can typically watch every Liverpool game via some sort of stream. I can see how it would be problematic for the midweek games, depending on your job. Love weekend games though. There's nearly always a quality EPL game on at 10:30ish EST.
I watch European soccer all the time on my phone, which doesn't have Sopcast, so saying it's essential is a bit of a stretch. For when I'm at a computer, though, ESPN3 is pretty good quality, and being able to start games on demand up to a week afterwards is sweet (especially for big games that happen during work, like the relatively recent Barca-Real match, I can go home and start them up on my Xbox and watch them on my big screen and nice sound system whenever I want).

QuadrupleDeke is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
  #45
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,558
vCash: 500
steams make it so easy to watch games, that following them pretty rabidly is possible.

Chimaera is online now  
Old
02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
  #46
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,558
vCash: 500
Oh, and there's a Liverpool Reds group that meets in Baltimore. Been a few times.

I'm going to Anfield this summer. Can't wait.

Chimaera is online now  
Old
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
  #47
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Oh, and there's a Liverpool Reds group that meets in Baltimore. Been a few times.

I'm going to Anfield this summer. Can't wait.
April 10 against City for me. No tickets yet, but I'll make it happen.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
  #48
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
He reiterated his commitment to Liverpool on January 9th, saying that he wouldn't leave. He's also stated that Liverpool is the only English club he'd play for. Things were finally starting to turn around for the club, and he submits a transfer request to a rival 3 days before the window closes, nearly screwing the club over. And this was immediately after they'd just spent 23 million GBP on a player to complement him in the attack. Complete and utter betrayal.
I disagree. Torres would have been well within his rights to demand a transfer after they finished 7th last year. He would have been well within his rights to demand one after they sold Mascherano and didn't bring in anyone special with that cash. He stuck around and then found himself 9 points out of a Champions League spot with 3 teams to climb over, 2 with a game in hand, and only 14 games to play and saw the writing on the wall.

I like Suarez up front but they still had nobody who can really load the gun for the forwards and IMO they don't have a decent wide midfielder or left back on the squad.

So how long was Torres supposed to stick around? Given that this summer's transfer window is the first that is going to apply to the new European financial rules Chelski wasn't going to be paying 50 mil for him this summer.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
  #49
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,558
vCash: 500
It's pretty easy if you're a morning person to follow on the weekends.

ESPN Soccernet blows for commentary, but what they do have that's nice is their live score shows all of the times for the matches in EST/CST/whatever you're in, so you can go over a few days and figure when you need to get up/watch it.

Bundesliga usually has a 8:30-9:00 game. They then have a 10 and sometimes a 1-2 o'clock game on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday.

EPL, 7:30/8:00 game on Saturday, 9:30-10:00 games, then an 11:30-12:00 game. Sunday is usually one earlier 8:30-9, then an 11ish game (usually match of the week type of a deal) and then a Monday 3:00 game.

Mid week games for Champions League (Tuesday/Wednesday) and Europa League Thursday.

Italy's pretty much the same, though often they do night games (which are more afternoon start for us).

Spain's later in the afternoon, usually 1 or 2 for most of the starts on weekend, and 3 for weekdays.


Steve Goff for the Soccer Insider in the Post is probably the best in the business. He posts a weekend soccer listings on Thursday/Friday (pending on how many games) with TV listings and times. He's easily the best Post sports beat writer, and vastly underrated.


Last edited by Chimaera: 02-01-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Chimaera is online now  
Old
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
  #50
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
April 10 against City for me. No tickets yet, but I'll make it happen.
In Liverpool?

Hmm, you should call the club now and see what you can do. Some clubs (Bridge at Chelsea was easy to go to this way) have tickets they save for day sales, and you can sometimes get a student rate (if you ask for them, they don't always ask for ID). You're not going to sit with the Kop or the Season Ticket holders most likely, but you can get tickets pretty easily.

With it being City, expect to pay a pretty heft fee on markup, though, not as much as United/Everton/Arsenal as you know.

I won't be able to see a game, but I'm scheduling a tour with a legend/former Red. That's going to be what I want to see.

Chimaera is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.