HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

How Deep is the 2011 Draft?

Old
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
bostonbs

vCash: 500
How Deep is the 2011 Draft?

from what ive seen the top 5 picks in the Draft should be:
1. Gabriel Landeskog LW
2. Ryan-Nugent Hopkins C
3. Adam Laarson D
4. Sean Couturier C
5. Brandon Saad LW

as a bs fan id love to see Couturier in boston, as several scouting reports say that he has shown commitments to the defensive end, but still is a great playmaker. this fits Boston whether or not he can play right away which is the biggest question with Couturier.

my Question is who do you see best fitting the teams with those bottom 5 picks, who fits who best, where you think they will go, and at what position.

my top 5(after the Lottery):
1. New Jersey- Ryan-Nugent Hopkins-- Center
-I say Hopkins instead of Landeskog because he plays Center, and thats something that Could help the Devils in the long run playing him with Kovalchuck.
2. New York Islanders- Adam Laarson-- Defensman
-Laarson is a solid Defensman, and after watching him in the WJC I think he is Definitely a lock for Top 2 pick. HE also would do well in NYI who already has a good amount of offense, this can help them make the next step.
3. Edmonton Oilers- Gabriel Landeskog-- Left Wing
- Landeskog could go anywhere in the top 3, and is a talent who could go #1. He also may verywell be the most skilled player in the Draft.The Oilers are already filled at the center position so getting another Future winger will help tremendously and they will probably take him wherever he falls to them.
4. Boston Bruins(from Toronto)- Sean Couturier-- Center
- Realistically Couturier could go anywhere from 1-5, and in several different mock drats he varies from 1-5. I think he will either go to New Jersey at #1, Boston, or Ottawa in the top 5. Boston May only take him if Landeskog is off the board, because right now they have 6-7 Centers in the Organization who are either now on the team, or going to hopefully be part of the future(if there is room, they may need to trade) (players in AHL like Colborne and Hammil).
5. Ottawa Senators- Brandon Saad-- Left Wing
- Saad Could go 4 or 5 depending who is left, and is really the only one in my top 5 who i could potentially see falling farther. The Sens have Fischer, and Spezza already at center, and Saad could help in the future solidify the top two lines. More than likely if Ottawa is 1, 2, 3, or 4 they will pick a center, but they have several holes, so they could really take anyone.

bostonbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Man Bear Pig

It's suppose to be a pretty meh draft class. Personally, I wouldn't even know who to pick if I had the first overall pick. Certainly don't see a franchise type of player.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
bostonbs

agreed, thats why i think even the top guys could fall anywhere in the top 7

bostonbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

No offense but poor assessment of team needs. Edmonton passing on a center that then gets drafted by Boston??

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
if Larsson is on the board when the Devils draft, i honestly see absolutely no way they will pass on him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Devils - Larsson
Islanders - Landeskog
Oilers - Coutourier
Bruins - RNH
Sens - Hubredeau(sp?)

although i think the sens have a wide open pick if they finish 5th, i just think they go for a centreman to off-set spezza in the future

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Every draft has talent. The top 10 might not be as flashy as it was last year but teams will still be able to add quality talent if they scout well.

I find the late 1st - 2nd round to be deeper than last year.

02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
thatshype

Also, I think alot of people think that Couturier will likely get converted to the Wing at the pro level.

thatshype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Ya, top four prospects 1-4 I'd say will make very good NHL'rs, 5-10 will be pretty good picks, after that its anyones money, I'd say.

If Boston gets a top 4 instead of a top 5-6 I cant see them taking another center. They'll go after Lar or land and if they see one go before their pick I can see them trading up for one of them.

Would love to have Landeskog but I think you'll see him go 1st, 2nd for sure.

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbs View Post
agreed, thats why i think even the top guys could fall anywhere in the top 7
If I were Boston and he was available I'd take Couturier. Seems like a really safe pick. Just a really good guy to have and if he didn't turn out to be a first liner he could do really well on other lines. A big body who does all the little things well. I could see him converting to the wing at the NHL level which seems to suit his game more then at center.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
no franchise player in this draft, only one that has a chance would be
larsson

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I still think Boston needs to make a trade for Larsson, weather it would be Tor's pick and Colborne or what ever.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Joe Hallenback

I think we will find out after the trade deadline if teams deal 1st round picks or not

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

I'd be extremely happy with Larsson, RNH, Courtier, or Landgeskog.

Very happy with Murphy, Saad, Hamilton, Hamilton, pretty positive we're not picking any lower than that. Basically, its a weak draft in terms of elite talent, but the top ten is extremely deep.

And the Bruins will pick the best player available, because all of them will go back to juniors most likely (other than larsson), our team will have lots of $$$ to spend along with many top prospects ahead of them already.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbs View Post
from what ive seen the top 5 picks in the Draft should be:
1. Gabriel Landeskog LW
2. Ryan-Nugent Hopkins C
3. Adam Laarson D
4. Sean Couturier C
5. Brandon Saad LW

as a bs fan id love to see Couturier in boston, as several scouting reports say that he has shown commitments to the defensive end, but still is a great playmaker. this fits Boston whether or not he can play right away which is the biggest question with Couturier.

my Question is who do you see best fitting the teams with those bottom 5 picks, who fits who best, where you think they will go, and at what position.

my top 5(after the Lottery):
1. New Jersey- Ryan-Nugent Hopkins-- Center
-I say Hopkins instead of Landeskog because he plays Center, and thats something that Could help the Devils in the long run playing him with Kovalchuck.
2. New York Islanders- Adam Laarson-- Defensman
-Laarson is a solid Defensman, and after watching him in the WJC I think he is Definitely a lock for Top 2 pick. HE also would do well in NYI who already has a good amount of offense, this can help them make the next step.
3. Edmonton Oilers- Gabriel Landeskog-- Left Wing
- Landeskog could go anywhere in the top 3, and is a talent who could go #1. He also may verywell be the most skilled player in the Draft.The Oilers are already filled at the center position so getting another Future winger will help tremendously and they will probably take him wherever he falls to them.
4. Boston Bruins(from Toronto)- Sean Couturier-- Center
- Realistically Couturier could go anywhere from 1-5, and in several different mock drats he varies from 1-5. I think he will either go to New Jersey at #1, Boston, or Ottawa in the top 5. Boston May only take him if Landeskog is off the board, because right now they have 6-7 Centers in the Organization who are either now on the team, or going to hopefully be part of the future(if there is room, they may need to trade) (players in AHL like Colborne and Hammil).
5. Ottawa Senators- Brandon Saad-- Left Wing
- Saad Could go 4 or 5 depending who is left, and is really the only one in my top 5 who i could potentially see falling farther. The Sens have Fischer, and Spezza already at center, and Saad could help in the future solidify the top two lines. More than likely if Ottawa is 1, 2, 3, or 4 they will pick a center, but they have several holes, so they could really take anyone.
In what world does Boston need another center? Your already have Bergeron, Krejci and Seguin on the team and Colborne and Knight in the pipeline. Drafting another center wouldn't be the best use of that pick. I would imagine the Bruins would go after Larsson or Murphy and then Saad before going after yet another center.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

What would it take from Carolina in a trade to get up high enough to take Landeskog to play with Skinner again. Didnt play on the same line much in Kitchener together, but when they did, apparently they were dynamite. Would love to see them together. Pretty much anything but Skinner, Staal, Ward would be on the table, with possible untouchables in Ruutu, Sutter, McBain, and Gleason. Basically our young core is untouchable and depending on the overall price, Ruutu and Gleason are probably the first 2 that get thrown into the mix, although its not favorable to lose them. Neither are UFAs and pretty much everyone else not mentioned is. But what would it take? Jokinen + Pitkanen + our 1st (is going to end up being around 10th-15th pick i forsee)? is something along those lines enough?

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
bigbadbruins1

if larsson and landeskog are off the board I don't care if we pick or trade to be honest.
RNH is iffy because of his small size. Courtier we don't really need just because our best players are centers.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

If the Toronto pick falls outside the top 5, give me some Ryan Murphy. Hell, I might even take him at #5.

Win win win.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
In what world does Boston need another center? Your already have Bergeron, Krejci and Seguin on the team and Colborne and Knight in the pipeline. Drafting another center wouldn't be the best use of that pick. I would imagine the Bruins would go after Larsson or Murphy and then Saad before going after yet another center.
Ok, don't say anything about our "center depth" if you dont know anything about it. Knight will most likely be a wing, Colborne could be a wing, Seguin can play wing (center in the future), and Krejci hasn't exactly impressed anyone enough to warrant not taking another center if hes the BPA. Our only legitimate top six NHL center right now is Patrice Bergeron.

Next year I wouldnt be suprised to see Krejc AND Savard gone.

I take Larsson if hes on the board, but I take the BPA after that, which is what Chiarelli should and will do.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadLikeAnOrange View Post
No offense but poor assessment of team needs. Edmonton passing on a center that then gets drafted by Boston??
The Oilers needs include every player in the top 4.

Top end defenceman
First line center
Tough, gritty leader type of winger that can score.

I wouldn't discount Landeskog just because he is a winger. The needs are certainly higher at center and on the blue line but if the Oilers really do feel he is the 2nd coming of Richards I could easily see them drafting him even if one of the centers is still on the board.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I think the top 8 will be damn good and after that it'll be "Damn... we drafted too late."

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:22 PM
KillerBruins

Devils- Adam Larsson
Oilers- Sean Couturier
Islanders- Gabriel Landeskog
Sens- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Bruins- Ryan Murphy

Also with the Bruins pick being somewhere in the 20-25 range I would love to see them take....

Peterborough Petes
LW- Matt Puempel, 6 ft/190 pounds, 47 gp..28 goals, 31 assists, 59 points.

Puempel is one of the top pure goal scorers available in this crop. When you see him, he may go through lulls where you might not notice him very much on the ice, but he’s always dangerous in the offensive zone. He does a good job of finding seams in the defense and his shot power and release are both pro quality. Overall, his game is a little ho-hum, but his drive to improve and goal scoring prowess both indicate that at the NHL level, he should be a potent goal scorer.

Plymouth Whalers
RW- Rickard Rakell, 6 ft 1/190 pounds, 39 gp..17 goals, 18 assists, 35 points.

He is an exceptional player with a lot of speed and pretty good size. As soon as he jumps on the ice, he goes really hard providing a lot of energy out there. Is a good passer, uses his body well, and is a great overall player. I don’t know if the scouts will give him 1st round predictions right now, but he is a great player

Oshawa Generals
LW- Nicklas Jensen, 6 ft 2/187 pounds, 40 gp..23 goals, 20 assists, 43 points.

Jensen has exploded since coming back from the World Junior D-1 Championships. He’s a dynamic player with great skating ability and with his size, he can fight through checks and use his skating ability to go end to end or break plays through the neutral zone.

Saint John Sea Dogs
RW/C- Zack Phillips, 6 ft/180 pounds, 48 gp..29 goals, 40 assists, 69 points.

Phillips has been steadily rising over the past two seasons and could make a case to go in the late first round of the NHL Entry Draft this season along with what could be three other Sea Dogs’ teammates. Phillips is a good offensive player who does a lot of things well, but doesn’t really have a defining quality. He’ll need to improve his skating a bit as well in the future.

Portland Winterhawks
RW- Ty Rattie, 6 ft/167 pounds, 51 gp..22 goals, 43 assists, 65 points.

There is no question that Rattie has the potential to be a top 6 forward in the NHL one day. Rattie is an above average skater who sees the play extremely well and is very skilled at creating quality chances in the offensive zone. He also has the scoring touch to finish off those opportunities.

Thoughts on them players being the Bruins 1st round pick?

KillerBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:26 PM
hdtrax

Remember if we're asking how deep a draft it is, we're actually referring to depth. If you look at the 03 draft class and you can spot some very familiar names in later rounds/stages. That's why its often referred to as one of the best drafts of all time (so far).

By that definition, 2011 is very weak. Outside of top 6-7 (which are hardly spectacular themselves) it becomes murkier and then by the middle of the 2nd round its almost completely up in the air. Scouting databases and central scouting bureaus have ranged greatly in who they think will go where, which is certainly a sign that the draft itself isn't as strong as in previous years.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
In a world where they pick 4th in a Draft where there's a top tier of 4. You'd hate to pass on a superior player simply because you're stocked in theory. As others have mentioned, Colborne has been playing wing this year in the AHL. Couturier himself could be shifted to wing. Krejci is RFA after next year and the B's could look to deal him if they feel he can be replaced by the young guys.

You should draft for talent and worry about fits later. Most of us thought it was strange when the Blues drafted David Rundblad in 2009 based on their depth on defense. A year later, they traded him for Vladimir Tarasenko. If the Blues drafted for need in 2009, they probably would have ended up with a forward with less upside than Tarasenko.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Oates2Neely

Wow.. I'm noticing that ever poster who is 'knocking' this draft is a Toronto fan. Shocking.

I think Boston drafts bpa. Hopefully its a top 7 pick, I really like the names available there. However anything in the top 10 is a bonus for us considering we already got Seguin out of this deal. If we land Landeskog I'd be extremely excited.

Rask
Lucic
Krejci
Seguin
Landeskog
Colborne
Bergeron
Caron
Spooner
Knight
Marchand

..That's some pretty good talent (25 years & under)

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote