HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stortini on Waivers

Old
02-01-2011, 11:07 AM
frag2

vCash: 500
Stortini on Waivers

buh bye

nice knowing you

as per Rishaug

TSNRyanRishaug Ryan Rishaug
Zach stortini on waivers.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM
MerryJ99

Saw that just now. His heart was in the right place, but his hockey sense maybe not. I doubt anyone picks him up and he goes to OKC

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Beerfish

This is beyond retarded. Let's get rid of just about our only agitator, middle weight tough guy who is still only 25 or so. I would assume they are sending him down to the farm. Plugs like Fraser and JFJacques are so much more important.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
This is beyond retarded. Let's get rid of just about our only agitator, middle weight tough guy who is still only 25 or so. I would assume they are sending him down to the farm. Plugs like Fraser and JFJacques are so much more important.
All that Stortini agitates is the fans.

Fraser and Jacques are next.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 484
Writing was on the wall, especially with Eberle coming back and the play of Reddox and Jones.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
plugs like Fraser and Jaques better hope they don't have a bad game this week or they will be joining Storts.

IMO, this is good news. The Oilers are clearing out spaces for the kids and impact contriobutors for next year. No point in delaying the inevitable.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Beevatron2000

Send a message via AIM to Beevatron2000
Frees a roster spot up for Omark to stay when Hemsky and Eberle return, I imagine that's the motivation for this, along with Storts just not being Renney's type of player.

Beevatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Traktor*

Quote:
Stortini has been horrible this year.

Skilled players lose their game and grinders fall off too.

Fraser is garbage but he plays a different role than Stortini so it's not an either/or situation

Say what you want about JFJ but he's outplayed Stortini this year and that's all on Stortini.

The bottom line is Stortini no longer provides energy for the hockey club thus he has no place in the NHL.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevatron2000 View Post
Frees a roster spot up for Omark to stay when Hemsky and Eberle return, I imagine that's the motivation for this, along with Storts just not being Renney's type of player.
Probably more so for Reddox as Omark. I believe Omark doesn't get exposed to waivers if sent down. Reddox would be.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Jordan Eberle

He definitely wasn't getting much of s chance but out if all the guys glad it was him over Omark or reddox

Jordan Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Phaedrus

Somewhere MacTavish is thinking "What?" And then perhaps realizing that his appreciation of players like Stortini is why he is no longer coaching. Poor Stortini, but that last fight (or lack thereof) finally sealed his fate.

edit: Anyone think Reddox and Omark are thinking "Whew!" I am not sure if Omark could handle being sent down again... the sun would never rise.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Beevatron2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
plugs like Fraser and Jaques better hope they don't have a bad game this week or they will be joining Storts.

IMO, this is good news. The Oilers are clearing out spaces for the kids and impact contriobutors for next year. No point in delaying the inevitable.
JFJ looks like he's starting to play much better, might not last, but probably worth it to see what he can do the rest of the season, see if he's worth keeping around.

Gregor made a great point on ON today that the fourth line really doesn't matter that much. Whether guys like JFJ or Fraser stay or go probably isn't of that much importance to the future of the club.

Old
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post

True words

I applaud him for "fighting" the heavies but he does such a horrible job, it's unbearable.

Probably also another sign the Oilers are gonna keep Omark up when the players are back. I doubt Brule will stay as well [either perm-IR or traded]

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcote97

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Give him a front office job at least. I will wear my Stortini jersey proud today.

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tv14

Thank god, hopefully Tambo gets on a roll here. Jacques next please and thank you.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 2542
After the fight with Bartsch the other night, He can't go away fast enough.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Beevatron2000

Quote:
Probably more so for Reddox as Omark. I believe Omark doesn't get exposed to waivers if sent down. Reddox would be.
Fair point. I haven't done the math on the players yet to see how many they'd have to send down. Brule will be coming back shortly too, right? Would that not give the oilers too many player if Storts was still around?

Old
02-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Alex87

Shoot. I like Stortini and I hope he gets a chance somewhere else. Say what you want about him, but he worked his ass off and gave it his all. It looks like this just wasn't his year though.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Somewhere MacTavish is thinking "What?" And then perhaps realizing that his appreciation of players like Stortini is why he is no longer coaching. Poor Stortini, but that last fight (or lack thereof) finally sealed his fate.
Hell, most of his fights this year ended with with his opponent laughing at him and taunting him.

Good ol' Storturtle.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
i agree, that was embarrassing for him. stortini could be an effective fighter/agitator, but he's just not willing to actually fight. i've seen to many fights with him where he's just to worried about protecting his pretty face and not take a punch. it's sad but stortini doesn't scare anyone, and he's a joke throught out the leage.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevatron2000 View Post
JFJ looks like he's starting to play much better, might not last, but probably worth it to see what he can do the rest of the season, see if he's worth keeping around.

Gregor made a great point on ON today that the fourth line really doesn't matter that much. Whether guys like JFJ or Fraser stay or go probably isn't of that much importance to the future of the club.
Jacques is one of the worst statistical players in NHL history, doesn't hit properly or consistently and can't fight. Not waiving him is an utter condemnation of our coaching and management.

Gregor's "point" is completely irrelevant. Having those players now or at any point hurts the team; which is improper.

Media seems to give that answer when they don't want to call anybody out and/or can't come up with an argument.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 02-01-2011 at 11:34 AM.
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

Nonsense, the guy is only -6 in his career, -2 this year on some really terrible teams. Just because everyone expects the guy to be MacIntyre when clearly he is not a heavyweight. I'll enjoy seeing Jacques throw his one body check a game and do nothing at all else and see Fraser do nothing at all.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Stortini doesnt agitate anyone, other teams players punch him in the face, laugh and skate away without taking a penalty, or else they fight, beat up Stortini, then mock him on the way to the penalty box.

Guys like MPS, Reddox, and Jones draw way more penalties by using their speed and determination.

Fraser is a stop gap who can at least skate and play the PK. That said he isnt a long term solution and should be gone soon.

JFJ can skate circles around Strotini and hits a lot harder and more often. He may not fight as often, but he doesnt look as bad when he does. That and he pots the odd goal as well.

Glad Stortini is gone and never questioned his heart but the guy never had NHL talent.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:

We could only be so lucky.

At this point I'd much rather have a 4th line of

Reddox/Smack - Cogliano - Jones

Zach was a great person, great with the team, but generally just too terrible.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Hell, most of his fights this year ended with with his opponent laughing at him and taunting him.

Good ol' Storturtle.
Stortini was great for causing a shift to a games momentum... unfortunately, it was usually going the other way.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote