HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

F Seth Ambroz - U of Minnesota, Big10 (2011, 128th overall, Columbus)

Old
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

vCash: 500
Seth Ambroz

Hi,

can anyone tell me about Seth Ambroz? Like his style of play, where he might figure in the draft, and maybe a comparison-type player?

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 03:22 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

tell me about seth ambroz

6'3, 205, top rated prospect in 2011. But I haven't been able to see him much as he isn't attending U of M and I don't get USHL streaming. Can anyone say like how he's been doing? Has he been playing up to expectations?

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 04:19 PM
HPJustin

He has been pretty impressive, improving a significant amount from last year. The guy can play. Great shot and passing, the only thing holding him back is his skating. If I had to guess, he's outside the Top 10 looking in for 2011.

HPJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:16 AM
wings5

Bump, seems to have fallen out of favour a bit after being seen as a top10 maybe top 5 pick a year ago. Whats his position now? His stats aren't bad this year, does he warrant a top 15 pick?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Bump, seems to have fallen out of favour a bit after being seen as a top10 maybe top 5 pick a year ago. Whats his position now? His stats aren't bad this year, does he warrant a top 15 pick?
depends on the teams picking in the top 15 to be honest. I take these draft rankings with a grain of salt anyway, but with Ambroz it has been a frustrating year as the kid was a top 5 pick barely 5-6 months ago.

He just hasnt tore up the USHL like expected by some, but imo, that was unfair to begin with. Ambroz is STILL the youngest player on his team, and STILL plays against competition 2-3 years older then him. He is at a p.p.g pace, and is becoming more involved with the overall team game instead of just being a one-dimensional offensive player. His stats have suffered for this, but his overall game has improved if that makes sense. Think Mike Modano and how he changed his game.

This kid is a 6'3 200lb power forward, that has very nice hands and solid vision as well. His skating is his downside currently, but being such a big young kid, you have to expect that.

Ambroz is on pace to improve his scoring numbers from last year, and I would be absolutely shocked if he drops to the second round for this draft. Some scouting services focus too much on stats or skating issues, but real gm's and head scouts look at a player and project what he can become in a few years with work, and Ambroz is a very tempting player to project.

Ambroz plays much more physical then Saad, with a similar skillset imo. The real crime was Ambroz not playing for the University of Minnesota this year, because if he did we wouldnt be talking about this now.

NHL teams are smart (well some of them at least), they will snag this kid up fairly high. He is still a top 25 pick for what he has and what he can become. Top 10 is gone for him at this point, but he still has a very solid chance at the first round.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Early-Mid second round pick IMO. Maybe goes into the first round because of his size

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
depends on the teams picking in the top 15 to be honest. I take these draft rankings with a grain of salt anyway, but with Ambroz it has been a frustrating year as the kid was a top 5 pick barely 5-6 months ago.

He just hasnt tore up the USHL like expected by some, but imo, that was unfair to begin with. Ambroz is STILL the youngest player on his team, and STILL plays against competition 2-3 years older then him. He is at a p.p.g pace, and is becoming more involved with the overall team game instead of just being a one-dimensional offensive player. His stats have suffered for this, but his overall game has improved if that makes sense. Think Mike Modano and how he changed his game.

This kid is a 6'3 200lb power forward, that has very nice hands and solid vision as well. His skating is his downside currently, but being such a big young kid, you have to expect that.

Ambroz is on pace to improve his scoring numbers from last year, and I would be absolutely shocked if he drops to the second round for this draft. Some scouting services focus too much on stats or skating issues, but real gm's and head scouts look at a player and project what he can become in a few years with work, and Ambroz is a very tempting player to project.

Ambroz plays much more physical then Saad, with a similar skillset imo. The real crime was Ambroz not playing for the University of Minnesota this year, because if he did we wouldnt be talking about this now.

NHL teams are smart (well some of them at least), they will snag this kid up fairly high. He is still a top 25 pick for what he has and what he can become. Top 10 is gone for him at this point, but he still has a very solid chance at the first round.

Thats about it. He plays PK, PP wears a letter. Fights. He is a becoming a complete player. Something that going to college right away might hinder him a bit.

http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3730

"The big thing was to keep maturing, and I decided that a third year would be a great way to develop my leadership skills," Ambroz says. "I want to be a guy that can be looked up to and counted on down the road."

Seth is going to be a guy that needs to score for us, but he is also one of the first guys off the boards for the penalty kill, the first guy that has to block a shot for us," Littler says. "It's just nice to see – Seth cares about other people, he's one of the first to help load the bus, and if someone's struggling he's the first person to reach out to them

You watch him show up on Monday and he's the first guy in line," Littler says. "That's what a leader is. That's what Seth Ambroz has been – the first guy in line."

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Thats about it. He plays PK, PP wears a letter. Fights. He is a becoming a complete player. Something that going to college right away might hinder him a bit.

http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3730

"The big thing was to keep maturing, and I decided that a third year would be a great way to develop my leadership skills," Ambroz says. "I want to be a guy that can be looked up to and counted on down the road."

Seth is going to be a guy that needs to score for us, but he is also one of the first guys off the boards for the penalty kill, the first guy that has to block a shot for us," Littler says. "It's just nice to see – Seth cares about other people, he's one of the first to help load the bus, and if someone's struggling he's the first person to reach out to them

You watch him show up on Monday and he's the first guy in line," Littler says. "That's what a leader is. That's what Seth Ambroz has been – the first guy in line."
A Mike Richards in the making? I can see the Habs drafting him in the 20-30 range. I've been high on this kid for a year now, I was kinda happy to see him drop so the Habs can snatch him up, lol.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
A Mike Richards in the making? I can see the Habs drafting him in the 20-30 range. I've been high on this kid for a year now, I was kinda happy to see him drop so the Habs can snatch him up, lol.
Poor Mans Mike Richards maybe. Richards was definitely better at 17.

Richards was small when he was drafted, 5'9 or 5'10 I beleive.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:20 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
Poor Mans Mike Richards maybe. Richards was definitely better at 17.
Maybe, but not by a large margin. Both are leaders, both were/are lacking skating ability, play big, etc etc.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
Maybe, but not by a large margin. Both are leaders, both were/are lacking skating ability, play big, etc etc.
And Ambroz is playing in a much weaker USHL, and not dominating. Mike Richards was great offensively at 17 in the OHL (87 in 67).

If Mike Richards was over 6'0 in 2003, he would have went way higher.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
And Ambroz is playing in a much weaker USHL, and not dominating. Mike Richards was great offensively at 17 in the OHL (87 in 67).

If Mike Richards was over 6'0 in 2003, he would have went way higher.
Scoring the USHL and scoring in the OHL are two very different things.

Sam Gagner put up 46 points in 56 games USHL
Sam Gagner(next year) 118 points in 53 OHL games.

John Carlson 31 assist in 59 games USHL
John Carlson (nest year) 60 assists in 59 games OHL

There are several other factors but it is hard to cross compare numbers to numbers. This was just the first name that popped into my head. Blake Wheeler was 21st in scoring in the USHL. Behind players like Chad Rau, Dan Ridel, Trevor Smith etc... The USHL is just a different animal.

Old
02-01-2011, 12:13 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Having seen Ambroz over a dozen times the last two seasons, I honestly don't see "it" from him. He's big, but not nasty. Digs in the corners, but doesn't actually WIN a lot of the battles. His shot is pretty decent, but not even elite by USHL standards. His best asset is his ability to finish the garbage in front or deflect in goals. I think he will make a good bottom six guy, but he's not gonna be top six if he makes it at all.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:20 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

To me it seems that most kids who are well over 6', at a very young age, have very inflated stats because they have such a huge size advantage against kids who still have a ways to go. His (I think U15) U.S. summer camp goal numbers were so much higher than everyone else but the vast majority of the kids that were there were not even close to his heavy 6'2'' frame at that time.

He, obviously, could turn out to be the next great power forward, but the hype back a couple years ago prior to going into the USHL seemed to be based on dominating much smaller peer group.
There is something to be said for a small kid learning to compete with a small frame and then catching up and growing over 6' rather than a kid getting the advantage of a bigger frame than his competition and then having everyone else catch up.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:33 PM
newfy

I like following the nastier prospects in the upcoming draft..

So just how tough is this guy and does he fight often? A big hitter or not so much?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
MN_Gopher

He fights.

Ambroz could not legally drive his first year in the USHL. He played against people that could legally drink. His size vs age should at least cancel each other out.

Most big 15 year olds look awful on skates. He is still young for the USHL. He was expected to blow the league up and he has not, so he is falling. Yet, like people have said, he has improved in every aspect of his game.

Old
02-01-2011, 06:20 PM
forthewild

i ho hope the wild pick him this year 1st or 2nd round, he seems to have the tools he needs to be a good power forward and god knows we need more thoroughness on our team, might be great opposite of Butch

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:12 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Having seen Ambroz over a dozen times the last two seasons, I honestly don't see "it" from him. He's big, but not nasty. Digs in the corners, but doesn't actually WIN a lot of the battles. His shot is pretty decent, but not even elite by USHL standards. His best asset is his ability to finish the garbage in front or deflect in goals. I think he will make a good bottom six guy, but he's not gonna be top six if he makes it at all.
Another weekend of Omaha games...

Scored a goal last night, but the shot itself wasn't very impressive. It was an incredibly softy that Gothberg simply didn't cover. There was no zip on the shot, it wasn't a fast release, it just got to the hole...which I guess is good... but again, ill repeat it's not an elite caliber even by USHL standards.

Tonight, he played awful. He got muscled off the puck numerous times(once by my boy Coop, the same Coop who is 6 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter...who literally lifted Ambroz off his feet with a simple shoulder shrug and dumped him to the ice.) Ambroz's physical prescence is only apparent when he has momentum. Skating side by side with players, he will almost always lose the battle(even by a younger, smaller player like Coop). He also totally crapped the bed on his shootout attempt. Just lost the handle.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:21 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Another weekend of Omaha games...

Scored a goal last night, but the shot itself wasn't very impressive. It was an incredibly softy that Gothberg simply didn't cover. There was no zip on the shot, it wasn't a fast release, it just got to the hole...which I guess is good... but again, ill repeat it's not an elite caliber even by USHL standards.

Tonight, he played awful. He got muscled off the puck numerous times(once by my boy Coop, the same Coop who is 6 inches shorter and 30 lbs lighter...who literally lifted Ambroz off his feet with a simple shoulder shrug and dumped him to the ice.) Ambroz's physical prescence is only apparent when he has momentum. Skating side by side with players, he will almost always lose the battle(even by a younger, smaller player like Coop). He also totally crapped the bed on his shootout attempt. Just lost the handle.
I remember watching Ambroz play the US Under 18 team back in the fall and he went into the corner for a 50/50 puck battle against 5'7", 160 pound Matt Van Voorhis and the latter put him right down on his ass. There's no way a player with Ambroz's size should lose these kinds of battles with players so much smaller than him. He's been the biggest disappointment amongst US born players for this draft so far this year in my eyes.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Alberta tough

Sure seems like he is trending down much like McFarland last year.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:49 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

The kids gonna play, he reminds me of a poormans Ryan Kesler, this was the guy Edmonton was looking for, Pitlick isn't that good, they do have the same style of play.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
The kids gonna play, he reminds me of a poormans Ryan Kesler, this was the guy Edmonton was looking for, Pitlick isn't that good, they do have the same style of play.
Seriously? I take it you've never seen him play... Might as well compare him to Gaborik or Crosby while you're at it.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:42 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Seriously? I take it you've never seen him play... Might as well compare him to Gaborik or Crosby while you're at it.
It's pretty clear from the second part of his statement that he's never seen Pitlick play either.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Felix29

As someone who has seen alot of Seth Ambroz over the last 3 years in the USHL... I'm disappointed to say the least.

I said in another thread awhile back, that if he did not dominate the USHL this season, it would be a failure. I'm sticking by those words.

I don't care that he's still one of the youngest (or the youngest) players with the Lancers. He's got monsterous size, wears a letter and has been in the league for 3 YEARS! Also take into account that it's his draft year. Do you need anymore motivation than that?

I don't think he did enough in the offseason to prepare himself for this very important season in his hockey career. I've heard people say his game is rounding out. Which fine, I can agree with that. But his skating is sub-par, and for being the mass of a human being that he is, he should not be losing the corners that he does. But more than anything, his skating definately needed to be worked on... and I don't see an improvement in that department.

Maybe I'm being too overly critical. There's chance to salvage his draft year still. Clear-headed determination would do him well. Especially in those corner battles.

Felix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Garyboy

He needs to spend the off season working on his skating with Boris Dorozhenko. That's really holding him back.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote