HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No major moves expected at deadline

Old
02-01-2011, 05:47 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
No major moves expected at deadline

The Newsday article below reports on the isles calling up Poulin,Wishart and Reese.It
touches on the team trying to finish up strong in the 2nd half.

The interesting part is that with Moulson signed,no other major moves are expected.Martinek's a ufa this July.I expected him to be dealt.Maybe the isles try to sign him to an extension?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.2651522

Capuano dearly would like to show he deserves to have the interim tag removed. Most of the lineup has the same interim tag, given the likelihood of another season without playoffs and some retooling needed again in the offseason.

But there is one aspect of the current squad that's encouraging for the players. With Matt Moulson signing a three-year, $9.4-million contract just after the team departed for the break last week, the last real trade chip for general manager Garth Snow was locked up. Even with 28 days until the trade deadline, there appear to be no more major moves left to make with this team.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Hip Of Rick

No surprise. We already dealt our only two trade chips for garbage. With about 22 teams in the race it shows the return we got was awful. The only other players who I could see being dealt is Marty-neck and Konopka. Our other guys do not have value to playoff teams and the most I could see us getting is a 3rd or a garbage prospect for the two we have available

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:48 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
No surprise. We already dealt our only two trade chips for garbage. With about 22 teams in the race it shows the return we got was awful. The only other players who I could see being dealt is Marty-neck and Konopka. Our other guys do not have value to playoff teams and the most I could see us getting is a 3rd or a garbage prospect for the two we have available
With Newsday charging to read articles now,I copied just the key points.

Did you catch the part about the isles needing to do some re-tool this summer?
The article makes it sound like the isles just need a little tweaking for next season

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

The article makes it sound like the isles just need a little tweaking for next season
Missed that I can't read the articles. This team needs a hell of alot more than a little tweaking, unless you call adding at least 1 top 4 dman, 2 top 6 forwards, and a 1a/1b goalie to the team minor tweaks. As it stand now our lineup still sucks going into next season. We only have 2 guys who have a 20 goal NHL season on the roster... Newsday loves a fluff piece

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:29 AM
cjdv16

Martinek nor Konopka would hardly qualify as a "major move". I still think you'll see the two of them go.

Isles don't have any assets left to move to constitue a "major move" so this is no surprise.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

Might as well just use a similar title in the summer - NO MAJOR MOVES EXPECTED THIS SUMMER

....because nothing of great impact will happen until an arena deal is reached, if ever.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
blitzkriegs

Isles need to move on from Martinek because he is unreliable and requires the team to carry more depth than not. Yeah, he's affordable, but not worth the IR requirement.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Might as well just use a similar title in the summer - NO MAJOR MOVES EXPECTED THIS SUMMER.
This is kinda scary to be honest. Right now this team badly needs veteran support. Next off season, NYI NEED that presence to help the "kids" achieve the next level. They need guidance.

Second, Isles will have plenty of room to make up to meet the cap floor. However, with a number of RFA's needing deals (and performing poorly to be honest), one wonders whether NYI will give out deals to the RFA's based on anticipated performance, which will fill up that space to meet the floor.

Old
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Garth has a plan and he is sticking to it!!! LOL I didnt expect us to do any movies during the deadline. I am sure not expecting Garth/Wang to do anything this off season either. Anyone know who are the top draft picks in 2012?? Lets just save time and start that thread now

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
LOL I didnt expect us to do any movies during the deadline.
Actually, I think Garth may be doing Slap Shot. In fact, I'm sure he's working the phones right now drumming up interest in skate sharpeners.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
frankieboy

McKenzie says that Chris Phillips is available for a second rounder. We have multiple second rounders. I would love to have Phillips on the team for a second rounder, even if he is set to be a UFA. It would give the Islanders a head start on negotiating with him and hopefully he'd fall in love with Long Island.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Martinek nor Konopka would hardly qualify as a "major move". I still think you'll see the two of them go.

Isles don't have any assets left to move to constitue a "major move" so this is no surprise.
Spot on.

With Roloson and Wisniewski already traded, and with Molson being re-signed, the Isles' remaining trade possibilities don't fit in the category of major move, so it's not really a surprise there won't be one.

That doesn't mean there won't be a couple of minor ones still to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
McKenzie says that Chris Phillips is available for a second rounder. We have multiple second rounders. I would love to have Phillips on the team for a second rounder, even if he is set to be a UFA. It would give the Islanders a head start on negotiating with him and hopefully he'd fall in love with Long Island.
I believe Phillips has a NTC or a NMC, so I'm not sure he'd waive that to go from one struggling club to another one. If he was going to miss the playoffs, he might rather do so playing in a city he's familiar with.

Besides, if Ottawa's asking price is a 2nd rounder, I'm sure a lot of playoff teams who need defensive help will be more than happy to throw in a little extra to outbid for his services.

I do agree with you that someone like Phillips would be fantastic for the Isles. He'd slot in nicely as that defensively strong #2 behind Streit, and could help shield some of the youngsters from having to play more minutes than they're ready for right now.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
He would test the UFA market anyway. Although the UFA market is limited for buyers this offseason. NYI should be dropping coin on a guy like this as a UFA.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Not surprised at all considering Wisniewski and Roloson are both gone. Martinek is the only one I can see as potentially traded; Konopka will re-sign for 2 years *crosses fingers*.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:25 PM
BlackDog13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Not surprised at all considering Wisniewski and Roloson are both gone. Martinek is the only one I can see as potentially traded; Konopka will re-sign for 2 years *crosses fingers*.
You and me both.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote