HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zach Stortini (EDM) - [Cleared]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
  #26
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,855
vCash: 500
I don't get this. I know Oilers' management is not the best, but still.

Unlike most goons, Stortini actually can play hockey, so he's not actively hurting his team by being on the roster. Strictly fourth-line stuff, mind, and he might very well clear waivers because he is purely a fourth-liner and most teams have better players.

But the Oilers are not most teams. Why waive Stortini when you have McIntyre and especially, JF Jacques on the roster? Jacques may hit people, but he's a serious candidate for worst overall hockey player in the NHL, especially if you disqualify pure goons. Stortini is no great shakes, but he is flat out a better player than Jacques, nevermind the extracurricular fisticuffs.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:10 PM
  #27
oilers92
Registered User
 
oilers92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I don't get this. I know Oilers' management is not the best, but still.

Unlike most goons, Stortini actually can play hockey, so he's not actively hurting his team by being on the roster. Strictly fourth-line stuff, mind, and he might very well clear waivers because he is purely a fourth-liner and most teams have better players.

But the Oilers are not most teams. Why waive Stortini when you have McIntyre and especially, JF Jacques on the roster? Jacques may hit people, but he's a serious candidate for worst overall hockey player in the NHL, especially if you disqualify pure goons. Stortini is no great shakes, but he is flat out a better player than Jacques, nevermind the extracurricular fisticuffs.
smac can fight thats why hes here, JFJ is useless agreed but he seems to be the managements latest love intrest...also stortini's embarassing fighting skills do more damage then good so i can see why he was let go

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:13 PM
  #28
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
After he got absolutely embarrassed by Barch before the allstar break, he is done. Can't fight, and when he does, he doesn't get the momentum on the Oilers side due to him either getting his ass kicked or hugging out the fight. Also gets distracted on the ice too much and ignores the play at times. Does work his ass off though most games. The one thing he has going for him.
What the heck happened in that "fight"? Even by Stortini standards that was a brutal showing...is he injured?

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
  #29
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,569
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
I think someone will claim him.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
  #30
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

How much have you seen him play in the last couple of years (be honest here)? Stortini is NOT an enforcer. He's a guy who will hit, won't be afraid to drop the gloves and who will add grit to a line-up in desperate need for some!
Maybe 35 or 40 games?

He'd be the designated punching bag, and if we're to get one of those, better get TKO.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:19 PM
  #31
CupofOil
Fire Lowe
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Very dissapointed that Stortini was the one to get waived instead of Jacques. But not surprising. Renney never seemed to be in the guy's corner.
Stortini stunk, why should anybody be in his corner?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
  #32
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
To those claiming that Stortini can play hockey, I say the following. He can play hockey when on a line with other decent players, like when he was matched with Brodziak and Glencross. He isn't good enough to play on a line with the likes of Fraser and/or Jacques. He has intensity in his game, but little else, he doesn't have the raw tools to be an NHL'er. What he has accomplished is completely on effort.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
  #33
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
To those claiming that Stortini can play hockey, I say the following. He can play hockey when on a line with other decent players, like when he was matched with Brodziak and Glencross. He isn't good enough to play on a line with the likes of Fraser and/or Jacques. He has intensity in his game, but little else, he doesn't have the raw tools to be an NHL'er. What he has accomplished is completely on effort.
I'd take him in a heartbeat on a line with Halpern and Darche, with the odd shift on the top two lines just to keep the other team honest... and he can keep up!

Not saying that Stortini is the best thing since sliced bread here, but he has something that the Habs are lacking: grit!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
  #34
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
To those claiming that Stortini can play hockey, I say the following. He can play hockey when on a line with other decent players, like when he was matched with Brodziak and Glencross. He isn't good enough to play on a line with the likes of Fraser and/or Jacques. He has intensity in his game, but little else, he doesn't have the raw tools to be an NHL'er. What he has accomplished is completely on effort.
He's really a guy that would've benefited from more time in the AHL.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:41 PM
  #35
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'd take him in a heartbeat on a line with Halpern and Darche, with the odd shift on the top two lines just to keep the other team honest... and he can keep up!

Not saying that Stortini is the best thing since sliced bread here, but he has something that the Habs are lacking: grit!
I don't know about that. He's kinda like those kids that chase the puck in minor hockey, but instead of the puck he is looking for someone to cream against the boards. Puts himself out of position quite a bit.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
  #36
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe
 
Caballo Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 16,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Of the 4th line toughguys on the team (Stortini/Jacques/McIntyre), he's the only one who knew how to play hockey.
If you have any of these guys on a team to play hockey, you're in trouble. These guys are paid to beat up people, Stortini wasn't.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
  #37
Natedawg
Lars Eller
 
Natedawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'd take him in a heartbeat on a line with Halpern and Darche, with the odd shift on the top two lines just to keep the other team honest... and he can keep up!

Not saying that Stortini is the best thing since sliced bread here, but he has something that the Habs are lacking: grit!
Ugh. Please stay far far away from Stortini.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
  #38
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 50
Anyone who says there's been some kind of mistake made for waiving Stortini, or is suddenly jumping to his defense that he's even a decent hockey player, is just looking for excuses to slag on the Oilers. This move should come as no surprise to anyone.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
  #39
Bourdon
Registered User
 
Bourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind him replacing Volpatti for the Canucks. Salaries are negligible. I don't really care if he can't fight, fighting between goons are lame anyways.

Bourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
  #40
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
It would be a real sin to get tougher, right?

Get another Pyatt instead!
Tougher!?!!?

You ever actually watch this guy? His last fight was an embarrassment to the sport.

I want the habs on the highlight reel too but not on the recieving end.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
  #41
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
I wouldn't mind him replacing Volpatti for the Canucks. Salaries are negligible. I don't really care if he can't fight, fighting between goons are lame anyways.
Volpatti has looked better as a rookie pro in 14 games than Stortini ever has, IMO. Storts is an awful fighter and hockey player. He has energy and he tries, but basically think of a more agitating version of Jeff Cowan--that is what Stortini would bring. No way in hell I'd take him over Volpatti, nor would I want him on the Canucks period.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
  #42
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Anyone who says there's been some kind of mistake made for waiving Stortini, or is suddenly jumping to his defense that he's even a decent hockey player, is just looking for excuses to slag on the Oilers. This move should come as no surprise to anyone.
Sheer and utter nonsense.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
  #43
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Sheer and utter nonsense.
Definitely isn't. Sorry to shatter the cloud you've been living on, but at least there are eight more below you.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:13 PM
  #44
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
Stortini was making some good progress last year and I honestly thought he might be a future checking line agitator winger but this season he has really taken a step back. He never could really fight even though he tried and his agitating seemed ineffective. He's a good guy in the community and as bad as JFJ is, right now he's better then Stortini with more potential.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
  #45
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Stortini was making some good progress last year and I honestly thought he might be a future checking line agitator winger but this season he has really taken a step back. He never could really fight even though he tried and his agitating seemed ineffective. He's a good guy in the community and as bad as JFJ is, right now he's better then Stortini with more potential.
100% correct.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:19 PM
  #46
ozhenson
Registered User
 
ozhenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Volpatti has looked better as a rookie pro in 14 games than Stortini ever has, IMO. Storts is an awful fighter and hockey player. He has energy and he tries, but basically think of a more agitating version of Jeff Cowan--that is what Stortini would bring. No way in hell I'd take him over Volpatti, nor would I want him on the Canucks period.
What I have bolded I believe is the reason so many people are rushing to his defence here. The fact is, last year and an AWFUL Oilers team on many nights Zach was the only player trying. Because of this his impact was artificially inflated strictly due to every other player phoning it in.

This season on another, although the results arent there, the Oiler team indisputably puts in a much greater effort every game(ok...most games...). Therefore there is no longer any aspect of his game that stands out. He doesnt hit too well, he cant skate like an NHLer, doesnt have a good shot, an embarrassment when fighting. I would be SHOCKED if any team picks him up, there are similar but better players in pretty much every team in the leagues system.

ozhenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
  #47
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Stortini was making some good progress last year and I honestly thought he might be a future checking line agitator winger but this season he has really taken a step back. He never could really fight even though he tried and his agitating seemed ineffective. He's a good guy in the community and as bad as JFJ is, right now he's better then Stortini with more potential.
The biggest problem is when Macintyre got here.

Stortini was on his way to being a solid 4th liner with potential of 3rd line. But that off-season Stortini tried to bulk up and be a super-heavy. Clearly didn't work and cost him a year for the expirement.

Has never seemed to be able to get back to that role he once was able to play.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:26 PM
  #48
wholesickcrew
Registered User
 
wholesickcrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Volpatti has looked better as a rookie pro in 14 games than Stortini ever has, IMO. Storts is an awful fighter and hockey player. He has energy and he tries, but basically think of a more agitating version of Jeff Cowan--that is what Stortini would bring. No way in hell I'd take him over Volpatti, nor would I want him on the Canucks period.
I'll admit I wouldn't mind Stortini either. I think Stortini is better along the boards than Volpatti while bringing more size. It would be like getting another Glass. Mostly though, I don't really care.

And as a side note, it's Zack, not Zach. It's what makes "Zack Attack" work as a nickname.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
  #49
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y
 
PhysicalGraffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,948
vCash: 500
Hope someone claims him, don't wanna lose another Italian from the NHL.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
  #50
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
I strongly believe that Stortini is a victim of his own grit, his own willingness to drop the mitts, a victim of his courage to go after guys to protect his teammates... and he's being blamed for not being a good fighter. *sigh*

So much better to have guys turning around pretending they care instead...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.