HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): Happy Halladays and a Merry Cliffmas!

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
While I agree that people make too much of a big deal over our farm system being "depleted" and such, having talent at the A level means very little. These are guys that are still four, five, or more years away from the big leagues for the most part and A LOT can change. I've never played professional baseball obviously, but from what I understand even going from Low A to High A is a HUGE difference so just because a guy is doing great and has talent in Clearwater or Lakewood doesn't mean he will ever do anything in AAA or AA, let alone the majors.
The jump in difficulty between the levels is real, but 4-5 years isn't a fair estimate if some of these guys are the real deal. If that's the case, it's likely some take out two levels in one year as they progress. They're not all that far off.

Old
01-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Im pretty sure cole hamels never pitched at reading and pitched two or three games at scranton before being called up. So for all those prospects in A ball, it depends. Brown was there a couple of years ago.

Old
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
While I agree that people make too much of a big deal over our farm system being "depleted" and such, having talent at the A level means very little. These are guys that are still four, five, or more years away from the big leagues for the most part and A LOT can change. I've never played professional baseball obviously, but from what I understand even going from Low A to High A is a HUGE difference so just because a guy is doing great and has talent in Clearwater or Lakewood doesn't mean he will ever do anything in AAA or AA, let alone the majors.
On top of what everyone else has said, this stuff is based on the talent these guys have, not just some success they're having against weak opposition. Singleton and Cosart are both ranked in the top 35 prospects in all of baseball by Keith Law and they were both in A ball last year (http://phuturephillies.com/2011/01/2...ects-for-2011/). If you're legit, you tend to move a little bit slowly through low and high A getting used to full season ball, but you're generally good enough to get a cup of coffee in the bigs as soon as you show you can handle AA. Some of the guys in Lakewood could very well be called up in late 2012 if they follow the normal progression of Clearwater this year and AA next.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Those guys aren't 4-5 or more years away necessarily. A lot of those guys will be moving to AA this year, and then you're talking about guys pretty close to making the leap if they continue to have success.

Brown was in Lakewood in 2008.

If they're legit, they could be pushing for a roster spot in a couple of years. Even then, it isn't a huge deal, because outside of OF, we don't have a pressing need for position players on the big league roster in the immediate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
The jump in difficulty between the levels is real, but 4-5 years isn't a fair estimate if some of these guys are the real deal. If that's the case, it's likely some take out two levels in one year as they progress. They're not all that far off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
On top of what everyone else has said, this stuff is based on the talent these guys have, not just some success they're having against weak opposition. Singleton and Cosart are both ranked in the top 35 prospects in all of baseball by Keith Law and they were both in A ball last year (http://phuturephillies.com/2011/01/2...ects-for-2011/). If you're legit, you tend to move a little bit slowly through low and high A getting used to full season ball, but you're generally good enough to get a cup of coffee in the bigs as soon as you show you can handle AA. Some of the guys in Lakewood could very well be called up in late 2012 if they follow the normal progression of Clearwater this year and AA next.
Yeah but all of this is based on whether or not these guys are the real deal, which in A ball is pretty near impossible to tell. Yeah D-Brown made it to the majors quickly and other guys have in the past, but like I said, for the most part these guys are 4-5 years out. Some may make it quicker, but for the most part, the majority will not ever see a major league game (at least not for the Phillies).

Old
01-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Yeah but all of this is based on whether or not these guys are the real deal, which in A ball is pretty near impossible to tell. Yeah D-Brown made it to the majors quickly and other guys have in the past, but like I said, for the most part these guys are 4-5 years out. Some may make it quicker, but for the most part, the majority will not ever see a major league game (at least not for the Phillies).
That may be true, but it's aside from the point that the guys who are the real deal will show themselves much sooner rather than later, giving us a little more time to really assess the situation of our current core of major leaguers aging.

Old
01-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Jester

Quote:
Ah, if they aren't progressing decently in a shorter window than that, then they probably won't be making it in 4-5 years... if you catch my drift. 4-5 years is rather late arrival in the big leagues for most of those guys.

Singleton would be 23-24
Cosart would be 24-25
Colvin would be 24-25

MLB Debuts for our lineup
Rollins 21 (everyday player 22)
Polanco 22
Victorino 22
Howard 24 (likely would have been sooner if not for Thome)
Utley 24 (came from college)
Ibanez 24 (definition of a late bloomer, too)
Ruiz 27

Halladay 21 (regular at 22)
Lee 23
Hamels 22
Oswalt 23
Blanton 23 (college)
Kendrick 22

Reality is that you're looking at these guys to progress this year and some of 'em to possibly end the year in AA. Begin next year in AA, and then they're right on the cusp depending on how they perform at that level. Sure, some won't make it... but to dismiss A ball guys as being 4-5 years away just isn't supported by normal MLB development paths. Some will take longer, sure... but most "impact" guys -- and that is what we are worrying over here -- are knocking on that door around age 22 (even if they aren't impact guys in MLB at that point). Especially if they don't go to college first and thus get to the minors at age 21-22.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Ah, if they aren't progressing decently in a shorter window than that, then they probably won't be making it in 4-5 years... if you catch my drift. 4-5 years is rather late arrival in the big leagues for most of those guys.

Singleton would be 23-24
Cosart would be 24-25
Colvin would be 24-25

MLB Debuts for our lineup
Rollins 21 (everyday player 22)
Polanco 22
Victorino 22
Howard 24 (likely would have been sooner if not for Thome)
Utley 24 (came from college)
Ibanez 24 (definition of a late bloomer, too)
Ruiz 27

Halladay 21 (regular at 22)
Lee 23
Hamels 22
Oswalt 23
Blanton 23 (college)
Kendrick 22

Reality is that you're looking at these guys to progress this year and some of 'em to possibly end the year in AA. Begin next year in AA, and then they're right on the cusp depending on how they perform at that level. Sure, some won't make it... but to dismiss A ball guys as being 4-5 years away just isn't supported by normal MLB development paths. Some will take longer, sure... but most "impact" guys -- and that is what we are worrying over here -- are knocking on that door around age 22 (even if they aren't impact guys in MLB at that point). Especially if they don't go to college first and thus get to the minors at age 21-22.
Yeah but it is nearly impossible to call a guy a future "impact" player when he is 18 years old playing in Lakewood. None of those guys are of the status of a Dominic Brown, Bryce harper, Steven Strasburg, etc who you know that they will be in the majors real soon and will do well. I'm not saying these guys definitely won't be there in a couple years (I said for the most part in my OP), but I wouldn't count on them as a definite part of the future of this team or even of this farm system. Baseball is probably the most difficult sport to really be able to tell who will do what and when.

Old
01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah but it is nearly impossible to call a guy a future "impact" player when he is 18 years old playing in Lakewood. None of those guys are of the status of a Dominic Brown, Bryce harper, Steven Strasburg, etc who you know that they will be in the majors real soon and will do well. I'm not saying these guys definitely won't be there in a couple years (I said for the most part in my OP), but I wouldn't count on them as a definite part of the future of this team or even of this farm system. Baseball is probably the most difficult sport to really be able to tell who will do what and when.
Ah, no, that's exactly how they evaluate players... varying levels of impact you see in 'em. Scouts absolutely assess what they feel the impact of a player will be at the MLB level when assessing them.

Quote:
When ranking players, I consider scouting reports on players -- usually my own, supplementing with conversations with other scouts and front-office executives as needed -- as well as performance, adjusted for age and context. I've made one adjustment in my ranking philosophy, favoring higher-upside prospects over lower-ceiling prospects who are closer to the majors. This better reflects how these players are valued now by front offices and scouting departments and gives me a chance to deliver more information on prospects whose names or scouting reports might be new to you.
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insid...0Prospects1-25

You need insider to read that, for those that do not have access.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Ah, no, that's exactly how they evaluate players... varying levels of impact you see in 'em. Scouts absolutely assess what they feel the impact of a player will be at the MLB level when assessing them.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insid...0Prospects1-25

You need insider to read that, for those that do not have access.
That's fine if that is how they evaluate players, but what I am talking about is that the bulk of the guys in A are 4-5 years away if at all. Sure there are guys who may be quicker, but outside of the real blue chip guys like Brown, Harper, and Strasburg, you can't really tell. Sure, you can say Guy X has quality Y and Z and that makes him a future impact player, but in baseball these guys are so young that there is really no way to be sure outside of the obvious ones like those I mentioned.

It isn't like hockey where if you are dominating somewhere in the CHL scoring 3 points per game, you can safely say that that player will be a force or at least a regular in the NHL some day soon. Or in football or basketball where if they kill it in NCAA for the most part, they are going to do well in the pros. In baseball you are going pretty much 100% on potential when you are talking about guys in the A level. I'm sure there are guys in A that are batting .340 and hitting 20 hrs that will never make it to the big leagues and guys who have yet to step on the field in A who have amazing potential that will never come close to being reached. All I'm saying is I am not banking on a guy in A to be a part of this club any time soon. They could be, of course, but I would not be counting on it.

EDIT: Just as an example, Carlos Corrasco was ranked #28 in MLB.com's list and #41 on Baseball America's list. He has not played in the majors and likely won't any time soon (at least on a regular basis). Many of the players on the list have made it and have made it well, but there are a lot who have not made it yet either from that list.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...s/top50/y2008/

Last edited by DrinkFightFlyers: 01-31-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old
01-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
That's fine if that is how they evaluate players, but what I am talking about is that the bulk of the guys in A are 4-5 years away if at all. Sure there are guys who may be quicker, but outside of the real blue chip guys like Brown, Harper, and Strasburg, you can't really tell. Sure, you can say Guy X has quality Y and Z and that makes him a future impact player, but in baseball these guys are so young that there is really no way to be sure outside of the obvious ones like those I mentioned.

It isn't like hockey where if you are dominating somewhere in the CHL scoring 3 points per game, you can safely say that that player will be a force or at least a regular in the NHL some day soon. Or in football or basketball where if they kill it in NCAA for the most part, they are going to do well in the pros. In baseball you are going pretty much 100% on potential when you are talking about guys in the A level. I'm sure there are guys in A that are batting .340 and hitting 20 hrs that will never make it to the big leagues and guys who have yet to step on the field in A who have amazing potential that will never come close to being reached. All I'm saying is I am not banking on a guy in A to be a part of this club any time soon. They could be, of course, but I would not be counting on it.

EDIT: Just as an example, Carlos Corrasco was ranked #28 in MLB.com's list and #41 on Baseball America's list. He has not played in the majors and likely won't any time soon (at least on a regular basis). Many of the players on the list have made it and have made it well, but there are a lot who have not made it yet either from that list.

...no one is saying that. But 4-5 years is a bit too conservative if these guys are going to make it.

Kyle Drabek, for example, had Tommy John surgery and still made it to the majors in a shorter window than you're putting out there as far as what to expect.

MLB players develop quicker than you're making it out they do. They aren't spending 5 years from A ball to MLB. If they do, that probably means they've stalled somewhere and the chances of them hacking are greatly diminished.

BTW, Carrasco pitched in the majors in each of the last two seasons. He threw 22 innings in 2009, and 44 innings last year. He was 19 when he had his first full season at Lakewood... 3 years later he pitched in the majors.

Of course, I also think age is a big factor independent of when a player is in A ball. If you're not ready/able to be competing for a MLB roster spot by the time you're 23, then alarm bells are beginning to ring on your career. You don't have to be a good MLB player at that point, but you need to be good enough that you're in the discussion.

Old
01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

Most of the guys in A ball will never make it, but that's not who we're talking about here. In baseball you have filler guys (most of the minors) and true prospects (Singleton, Cosart, Colvin, et al). These guys are 2-3 years away and for what it's worth, they're exactly where Brown was a year or two ago. Even then he was untouchable. The guys doing this stuff know what they're talking about and really can tell when a guy has a legit shot and when one doesn't. We're not talking about one guy who may make it or may not, we're talking about half a team's worth just in Lakewood last year. Of that group, I guarantee that a handful make it.

Old
01-31-2011, 05:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
...no one is saying that. But 4-5 years is a bit too conservative if these guys are going to make it.

Kyle Drabek, for example, had Tommy John surgery and still made it to the majors in a shorter window than you're putting out there as far as what to expect.

MLB players develop quicker than you're making it out they do. They aren't spending 5 years from A ball to MLB. If they do, that probably means they've stalled somewhere and the chances of them hacking are greatly diminished.

BTW, Carrasco pitched in the majors in each of the last two seasons. He threw 22 innings in 2009, and 44 innings last year. He was 19 when he had his first full season at Lakewood... 3 years later he pitched in the majors.

Of course, I also think age is a big factor independent of when a player is in A ball. If you're not ready/able to be competing for a MLB roster spot by the time you're 23, then alarm bells are beginning to ring on your career. You don't have to be a good MLB player at that point, but you need to be good enough that you're in the discussion.
My bad. I looked at baseball-reference.com and didn't realize they broke it up into minors and majors stats on different pages. Regardless of that blunder on my part, I still believe that Singleton, Cosart, and Colvin (and any other blue chippers we may or may not have) are still more than 2-3 years away. Maybe not all three of them, but I would say it is a safer bet that they are NOT on this team in 2-3 years (and I'm not talking Sept. callups) than that they are 2-3 years away.

Quote:
Most of the guys in A ball will never make it, but that's not who we're talking about here. In baseball you have filler guys (most of the minors) and true prospects (Singleton, Cosart, Colvin, et al). These guys are 2-3 years away and for what it's worth, they're exactly where Brown was a year or two ago. Even then he was untouchable. The guys doing this stuff know what they're talking about and really can tell when a guy has a legit shot and when one doesn't. We're not talking about one guy who may make it or may not, we're talking about half a team's worth just in Lakewood last year. Of that group, I guarantee that a handful make it.
I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Old
01-31-2011, 09:13 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
My bad. I looked at baseball-reference.com and didn't realize they broke it up into minors and majors stats on different pages. Regardless of that blunder on my part, I still believe that Singleton, Cosart, and Colvin (and any other blue chippers we may or may not have) are still more than 2-3 years away. Maybe not all three of them, but I would say it is a safer bet that they are NOT on this team in 2-3 years (and I'm not talking Sept. callups) than that they are 2-3 years away.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
Dom Brown started at Clearwater in 2009 and he's on the verge of cracking the roster full time. The rest of these guys are in that exact position. Standard progression has them tearing A+ up this year, AA next year, and being ready to step into the majors some time in 2013. Strong performances could make that move even faster, though the talent on the big league roster may hold them back a la Howard.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Dom Brown started at Clearwater in 2009 and he's on the verge of cracking the roster full time. The rest of these guys are in that exact position. Standard progression has them tearing A+ up this year, AA next year, and being ready to step into the majors some time in 2013. Strong performances could make that move even faster, though the talent on the big league roster may hold them back a la Howard.
This is what I am talking about. IF they follow standard progression ok maybe they'll make it in a couple years, but these kids are so young and so far away (as in playing in A ball as opposed to AAA) that there is just as good a chance that these kids won't make it as there is that they will. If these guys were AAA prospects with the pedigree and potential to boot, ok then I can start saying that these kids will make. But they are what 19 years old? I'm not banking on them doing anything any time soon. Not saying that they won't, but I'm not counting on them for anything.

Old
01-31-2011, 10:46 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
This is what I am talking about. IF they follow standard progression ok maybe they'll make it in a couple years, but these kids are so young and so far away (as in playing in A ball as opposed to AAA) that there is just as good a chance that these kids won't make it as there is that they will. If these guys were AAA prospects with the pedigree and potential to boot, ok then I can start saying that these kids will make. But they are what 19 years old? I'm not banking on them doing anything any time soon. Not saying that they won't, but I'm not counting on them for anything.
Nobody is counting on them. All I said to start this whole thing was that the Phillies have a **** load of prospects there and really that's all you can ask for. That doesn't mean the ones that work out are more than 2-3 years away, though.

edit: and FWIW, standard progression applies to prospects no matter what their age is. The standard rule is a level a year unless they show you otherwise.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Ah, you're missing the central point. They're not that young, and they're not that far away. A 20 y/o kid should be a couple years away from having a shot at the roster. 22-23 is the time when most guys should begin showing up (uber prospects usually a bit sooner).

Old
02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Nobody is counting on them. All I said to start this whole thing was that the Phillies have a **** load of prospects there and really that's all you can ask for. That doesn't mean the ones that work out are more than 2-3 years away, though.

edit: and FWIW, standard progression applies to prospects no matter what their age is. The standard rule is a level a year unless they show you otherwise.
DFF has a point though. Yes, the Phillies have a wealth of prospects that were at the low A level last year, but realistically how many of these guys are going to pan out? Also the Phillies have plenty of aging players and expiring contracts coming up, but they have no one in the system to replace these players. They also have no depth at the upper minors to fill in when there are injuries.

The farm system is good, but there are concerns there.

Old
02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Ah, you're missing the central point. They're not that young, and they're not that far away. A 20 y/o kid should be a couple years away from having a shot at the roster. 22-23 is the time when most guys should begin showing up (uber prospects usually a bit sooner).
Yeah I see what you are saying. But I'm not ready to talk about these guys like they are locks to make this team in two years. A lot can happen in a couple years.

Old
02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
DFF has a point though. Yes, the Phillies have a wealth of prospects that were at the low A level last year, but realistically how many of these guys are going to pan out? Also the Phillies have plenty of aging players and expiring contracts coming up, but they have no one in the system to replace these players. They also have no depth at the upper minors to fill in when there are injuries.

Quote:
Yeah I see what you are saying. But I'm not ready to talk about these guys like they are locks to make this team in two years. A lot can happen in a couple years.
These are two different issues.

Question 1 is when can we expect these guys to potentially be around?

Question 2 is how many of these guys can we actually expect to pan out?

There is certainly going to be some wastage en route to the big leagues for A ball prospects. However, that doesn't necessarily retard when this group should be expected to be challenging for a MLB roster spot. The point is if they're not challenging for a spot in 2-3 years then something has probably gone wrong. The hitters can't hit AA curves, or the pitchers can't get AA hitters out. When that happens, the prospect will diminish in value considerably.

There's always going to be guys that are AAAA players... however, that doesn't mean the progression to the "Show" is longer.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:22 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

Quote:
Nobody said they're locks. The point is the Phillies have more of them than just about anyone else. Some of them will make it, some won't, but by the time the current team's core actually need to be replaced, several of them likely will be ready to step in. You can't expect them all to make it, but by the same token you can't expect all of them to NOT make it.

As for injury replacements, I don't think they're really a concern. Didn't derail the team last year. Whoever loses out of Brown and Fransisco is a very high quality backup OF (not to mention Gload). Valdez or some other player with a decent glove can cover middle infield. Schneider is a fine backup C. Anyone can play 1B. Kendrick and Worley are passable replacement starters. Bullpen is always a tossup. The only concerns I'd have are if Polanco or Victorino miss extended periods, but you're never going to be perfect.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Nobody said they're locks. The point is the Phillies have more of them than just about anyone else. Some of them will make it, some won't, but by the time the current team's core actually need to be replaced, several of them likely will be ready to step in. You can't expect them all to make it, but by the same token you can't expect all of them to NOT make it.

As for injury replacements, I don't think they're really a concern. Didn't derail the team last year. Whoever loses out of Brown and Fransisco is a very high quality backup OF (not to mention Gload). Valdez or some other player with a decent glove can cover middle infield. Schneider is a fine backup C. Anyone can play 1B. Kendrick and Worley are passable replacement starters. Bullpen is always a tossup. The only concerns I'd have are if Polanco or Victorino miss extended periods, but you're never going to be perfect.
I would wager Valdez would ably man 3B if necessary for a modest stretch. Anything past that and you might have a problem. The advantage with Polanco at 3B is that he isn't one of our power bats. It isn't like on other teams where if they lose 3B they have a power vacuum in their lineup.

Old
02-01-2011, 05:48 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I would wager Valdez would ably man 3B if necessary for a modest stretch. Anything past that and you might have a problem.
Yeah that's what I was trying to get at. He can ably field the position and if he can hit .250 again won't be a black hole, but if it goes too long he's definitely not the hitter that Polanco is.

Quote:
The advantage with Polanco at 3B is that he isn't one of our power bats. It isn't like on other teams where if they lose 3B they have a power vacuum in their lineup.
Didn't really think of it that way, but it's a good point. I'd still like to see a bit better hitter as our backup 3B since guys like that should be out there somewhere, but that's really just picking nits at this point.

Old
02-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Jester

For those interested, here's some projections on Brown.

Quote:
Forget September. If Domonic Brown isn't the starting right fielder for the Philadelphia Phillies for the 2011 season, they're simply not putting their best team on the field. Brown is still a bit raw, but even without being polished, he can seriously rake. Brown hit .327/.391/.589 last year and that was in the International League, not the Pacific Coast League (which is known for extreme offensive numbers).

Player BA OBP SLG HR RBI
Domonic Brown .278 .335 .460 17 79
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotst...ory?id=6079379

Old
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
For those interested, here's some projections on Brown.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotst...ory?id=6079379
Those seem fair. Hopefully he can get the BA up a little higher than that.

Old
02-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Those seem fair. Hopefully he can get the BA up a little higher than that.
I'd be pretty ecstatic with anything in the .280 range as a rookie. What I'd like to see go up a bit are the HR and RBI totals. HRs he has some control over, RBIs is a bit more team dependent and where he ends up in the order.

Closed Thread