HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres, Senators, Maple Leafs

Old
02-01-2011, 01:23 PM
milbs06

vCash: 500
Sabres, Senators, Maple Leafs

Sabres
Quote:
Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier last week said he hopes to ship out some veterans by the February 28th trade deadline, which could mean forwards Tim Connolly, Rob Niedermayer and Mike Grier along with defensemen Steve Montador and Craig Rivet could be trade candidates.
Senators
Quote:
Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray is also expected to be busy as only Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza and Erik Karlsson are considered untouchable.
Maple Leafs
Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke meanwhile expects to hear from Tomas Kaberle’s agent this week if the defenseman will decide to waive his “no-trade” clause, but if Kaberle is willing to move he’d likely only accept a move to two or three Eastern Conference teams, which rules out peddling him to San Jose for young forward Devin Setoguchi. A more likely trade candidate for the Leafs could be blueliner Francois Beauchemin, who has a partial “no-trade” clause. Burke is said to have a list of 12 teams Beauchemin wouldn’t mind as a new employer.
http://www.thehockeyherald.com/?p=3595

milbs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Quote:
Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray is also expected to be busy as only Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza and Erik Karlsson are considered untouchable.
For those who said that the Sens would look into moving Spezza cause he wasn't named as one of our untouchables at first... Sens fans say we told you so.

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
First and foremost, Buffalo is likely looking to move Rivet and Special Nieds to any team who's willing to give up anything for either. They'll probably sit on the Connolly decision for a couple more weeks before deciding whether to hold 'em or fold 'em. Monty is only being moved if Buffalo is a definite seller at the deadline. Even then, they may retain him and try to re-sign him; he's been good in Buffalo.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

The rumor was never Kaberle-Setoguchi, it was Beauchemin, who will likely be moved. Kaberle stays.

Just saying.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The quote from Regier specifically was:

Quote:
"We're getting a lot of pop out of our young kids," Regier said. "Older players that we all believed in when we signed them aren't performing at the levels that they're capable of, or maybe we misjudged it. In some part, I think we could be selling veterans if we can sell them because we like what we see in our youth. I think it's going to be really interesting."
That came on the heels of guys like Ennis, Gerbe, and injury recall Byron shouldering the load offensively. Niedermayer, Grier, Connolly, Rivet should all be in play for whatever sort of return they can get. Morrisonn possibly and Montador if the return is significant -- he still should be the guy they look to get inked prior to the deadline.

02-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Retsmra2010*

When does Regier grow a pair and actually do something to help his team on the trade market?

Retsmra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsmra2010 View Post
When does Regier grow a pair and actually do something to help his team on the trade market?
Probably about the time the guy who's been looking over his shoulder and trying to play GM for six/seven years in Larry Quinn gets the boot as Team President. Since that seems imminent with the sale of the team, it could be any day now.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Retsmra2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Probably about the time the guy who's been looking over his shoulder and trying to play GM for six/seven years in Larry Quinn gets the boot as Team President. Since that seems imminent with the sale of the team, it could be any day now.
Has that been the issue? I didn't realize it was on Quinn. I wasn't intending to take a shot at Regier because he has done some very smart things in not signing certain players ie Drury, but I think I speak for a lot of Sabres fans when I say he should be a bit more aggressive.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:12 PM
8BostonRocker24

I thought Burke was such a player's-GM he would never ask a player to waive a NTC or NMC...

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Retsmra2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I thought Burke was such a player's-GM he would never ask a player to waive a NTC or NMC...

In spite of all of his double speak and lip service, I'm not sure Burke actually knew what the pressure was like in Toronto to win. He's become humbled already in his short time here.

Old
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Has that been the issue? I didn't realize it was on Quinn. I wasn't intending to take a shot at Regier because he has done some very smart things in not signing certain players ie Drury, but I think I speak for a lot of Sabres fans when I say he should be a bit more aggressive.
It was Quinn who chose to focus on Drury, who in turn felt that the team was shafting Briere.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
If you look at his transaction history since Golisano/Quinn/Dipolfi came onboard (or rose to more power in DiPolfi's case) in '03, he's had very little added via trade that wasn't a UFA-rental situation (Rivet being the only exception since the lockout). It's speculated due to a number of sources from Quinn's first tenure as president and then how some things have happened and been said since his return that he over-steps and thinks himself a hockey guy when in fact he's a small-fry politician and local developer.

We would like to see him get off his hands. It may be his opportunity to audition for a long-term shot with the new owner too.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
JerkChicken

vCash: 50
I could see some teams interested in Mike Grier. He'd be a good bottom-6 addition to a lot of squads come playoff time.

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
murray/melnyk never explicitly called spezza untouchable (as they did EK/alfie), but they talked about building the team around spezza and finding some wingers for him, so this is a safe assumption.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Sabres just might end up acquiring about 3-5 6th-7th round picks.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline   Reply With Quote