HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Fernando Torres to Chelsea. Fee is reportedly $79.5M. That's alot of cash money.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
01-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Fernando Torres to Chelsea. Fee is reportedly $79.5M. That's alot of cash money.
Well they can get a couple pretty good players for that amount. Drogba and Torres though on the same team that's pretty scary. Chelsea is stacked with midfielders and forwards. Anelka, Torres, Drogba, Lampard, and Malouda.

Old
02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
IrishSniper87

Apparently the "Major Announcement" for MLS is the All-star game. Yawn.

As far as the Union goes, Jeremiah White looks like he is not getting a contract and Jorge Perlaza (Colombian International) looks to be on trial in Portland. Another Colombian Striker Arial or something (22 years old) might be the next focus, but apparently the Union are running out of roster spots (they seem committed to signing all their draft picks and bringing in young guys eager for playing time).

Would of liked to see White here though, but in Nowak we trust.

Old
02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
flyersguy33*

DC United are in serious talks to try and get Charlie Davies on a 12 month loan

Old
02-01-2011, 04:21 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
Anelka, Torres, Drogba, Lampard, and Malouda.
Ridiculous.

Old
02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
slitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
wonder if olsen will let him drive on the GW parkway

Old
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I hate the rumors of the USMNT team players coming back to the MLS, it does no good for you unless your a young kid.

But....For Davies, it would get him back playing full time, but still, he needs to break out in France

Old
02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
IrishSniper87

The Union just announced via Twitter that they are announcing a player signing shortly.

However, I know who it is.

The Union have signed former LA Galaxy, F.C. Dallas and Toronto F.C. Striker Carlos Ruiz. Ruiz is 31 years old and has scored 82 goals in his MLS career (which is more then the entire current Union roster combined at 67).

If you thought Moreno was a diver, sadly, you haven't seen anything yet.

However, he is a proven Striker at least. He will likely play up top with Mwanga and let Le Toux play the RM/AM spot. (The Union played an "empty bucket" 4-2-2-2 last season with a full backline, 2 defensive Center Mids, 2 Wingers who are very offensive and 2 strikers up top. Le Toux has played up top and on the wing and this move allows Le Toux to play mostly wing and move up top when needed. This move also fills the Union's need for a true target striker, something both Le Toux and Mwanga don't quite fill, but both are excellent supporting strikers.)

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/...ct-report-says

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 02-22-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old
02-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I hate the rumors of the USMNT team players coming back to the MLS, it does no good for you unless your a young kid.

But....For Davies, it would get him back playing full time, but still, he needs to break out in France
I think coming back to MLS for a short stint is probably ideal for Davies.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Ridiculous.
It would be ridiculous to see Torres go a season without an injury.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:28 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post

Yeah, it's really hurt Donovan...

MLS isn't that great, but you make it sound like a local indoor league.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:36 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post

MLS is growing. The Union already average higher attendance then the Sixers, and the ticket prices are actually higher for the Union now I believe.

MLS won't be the EPL or anything, but it can become the top league in the Americas without too much trouble. Heck, if they stay financially responsible, they are already better off then much of the South American leagues.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Jester

Quote:

I actually think it has hurt Donovan. He'd likely be a better player today if he'd spent those years playing in the European leagues.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:51 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I actually think it has hurt Donovan. He'd likely be a better player today if he'd spent those years playing in the European leagues.
Everton was very eager to extend his loan. He was player of the month for them during his short time there I read somewhere.

Donovan could easily be an EPL starter. I read recently that only 5 Americans are regularly getting minutes over there. I can think of Tim Howard (Everton), Clint Dempsey (Fullham), and Stuart Holden (B. Wanderers) off the top of my head. Can't think of any others.

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 02-22-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old
02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Everton was very eager to extend his loan. He was player of the month for them during his short time there I read somewhere.

Donovan could easily be an EPL starter. I read recently that only 5 Americans are regularly getting minutes over there. I can think of Tim Howard (Everton), Clint Dempsey (Fullham), and Stuart Holden (B. Wanderers) off the top of my head. Can't think of any others.
Friedel and Spector. And Jermaine Jones, now that he's been loaned. Michael Bradley should also see some time with Aston Villa.

Last edited by GirouxGiroux: 02-22-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
And this is based on what? You think he should have performed better for the USA the past couple years, and better when he was at Everton? He'd be marginally better, if at all, if he had stayed in Europe. And that's if he played.

On the other side of the coin, I think guys like Donovan, Altidore and Adu would have benefitted from staying in the US instead of leaving as teenagers. They weren't ready for Europe. American youth soccer is flawed and our players develop later than Europeans. It's better (for now) when guys go the way of Dempsey and Holden.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Friedel and Spector.
Ah yes, Aston Villa's #1. There you go.

I think Marcus Hahnemann is with Wolves also, battling Hennesey for starts.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Jester

Quote:

Yeah, he's good enough to be over there and Everton wanted him... so did a couple other teams as I recall.

The talent gap from our frontline players to the second ranks is pathetic. I went and saw the US v. Columbia game in the fall... holy crap did they look absolutely pathetic. Then a guy like Dempsey comes in and he's so far and away superior to the MLS guys that it's a joke.

Quote:
And this is based on what? You think he should have performed better for the USA the past couple years, and better when he was at Everton? He'd be marginally better, if at all, if he had stayed in Europe. And that's if he played.

On the other side of the coin, I think guys like Donovan, Altidore and Adu would have benefitted from staying in the US instead of leaving as teenagers. They weren't ready for Europe. American youth soccer is flawed and our players develop later than Europeans. It's better (for now) when guys go the way of Dempsey and Holden.
Adu would benefit from going through a growth spurt more than anything else.

I'm not saying go over to Europe when you're 16 and struggle to get playing time. However, Donovan showed a distinct lack of competitiveness and a stronger desire to be sitting on the beach with his g/f near at hand. Great for him to make life choices that he's happy with, but I think it hurt his playing career.

The US struggles against top international teams because we lack players capable of playing at that level individually. MLS is NOT a good league for developing those skills as you are not competing against the best players in the world. We need our players going to European leagues and playing at the highest level of the sport before the international team is going to enjoy any consistent success. It's like fielding an Olympic team from the SEL and trying to take on teams built from NHL rosters.

Altidore is a prime example of a guy that probably needed more seasoning before he went over, but he also needs to develop a physicality to compete with top-end defenders that he isn't going to get while playing on this side of the pond.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
The US struggles against top international teams because we lack players capable of playing at that level individually. MLS is NOT a good league for developing those skills as you are not competing against the best players in the world. We need our players going to European leagues and playing at the highest level of the sport before the international team is going to enjoy any consistent success. It's like fielding an Olympic team from the SEL and trying to take on teams built from NHL rosters.
I agree with you, but you can't just jump to the highest level, especially not if you're an American.

You mentioned Dempsey... he is an MLS product. He was 23 when he left the US for Fulham. Holden is an MLS product. He's having a monster year in his first EPL season and he's 25. Tim Howard - MLS product.

Charlie Davies is 24. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him coming back here for a year. Not a thing. He'll get first team minutes and probably have a great year and get a few offers for next season.

MLS isn't a world-class league, but it isn't some black hole either. It's improving and expanding.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
I agree with you, but you can't just jump to the highest level, especially not if you're an American.

You mentioned Dempsey... he is an MLS product. He was 23 when he left the US for Fulham. Holden is an MLS product. He's having a monster year in his first EPL season and he's 25. Tim Howard - MLS product.

Charlie Davies is 24. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him coming back here for a year. Not a thing. He'll get first team minutes and probably have a great year and get a few offers for next season.

MLS isn't a world-class league, but it isn't some black hole either. It's improving and expanding.
As noted above, I think it makes sense for Davies to come back and get in soccer shape against weaker competition.

However, as far as Donovan, he probably did go over a bit too early... but he never should have signed his most recent contract with MLS (which is causing him problems now that he seems to want to be in the EPL)... and he probably should have fished for some European leagues sooner.

MLS is fine as a developmental league, and it's going to do wonders as a feeder for talent to give guys a chance to play pro over here... but we need these guys competing and succeeding in European league play before we're going to get anywhere at the international level. We also need to get better overall athletes playing soccer, but that's another matter. Donovan is a great player, but he's also a midget.... need some guys that can play in the air on offense.

Old
02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
As noted above, I think it makes sense for Davies to come back and get in soccer shape against weaker competition.

However, as far as Donovan, he probably did go over a bit too early... but he never should have signed his most recent contract with MLS (which is causing him problems now that he seems to want to be in the EPL)... and he probably should have fished for some European leagues sooner.

MLS is fine as a developmental league, and it's going to do wonders as a feeder for talent to give guys a chance to play pro over here... but we need these guys competing and succeeding in European league play before we're going to get anywhere at the international level. We also need to get better overall athletes playing soccer, but that's another matter. Donovan is a great player, but he's also a midget.... need some guys that can play in the air on offense.
Team USA is a much better squad then many make it out to be, but you are right that the difference between Dempsey/Donovan and some of the other guys we have is huge.

MLS is getting there, don't worry. It just takes time. As MLS teams start up and develop their own youth academys, we will start to see more Donovan quality players. Ideally, we will see a larger emphasis on Soccer in both High School and College. College should be the real pipeline for local players into MLS, but even College kids are already 22 by the time they graduate. That's almost middle aged for some of the soccer stars abroad. EPL teams have squads of 16-17 year olds who could probably (if not definitely) beat some MLS teams.

The EPL has scouting and youth training down to an art, we just need time and money to copy them efficiently. MLS also has the benefit of picking some of the better young players off of Colombian, Guatemalan and other South American squads. Carlos Valdes, 25 and new Colobian Centerback for the Union, is a good example of MLS picking up good players from South America while still in their prime.

The big thing is money, if MLS is going to thrive and compete internationally, it needs to produce and sign talent locally and from the Americas.

I hope that in the next 10 years or so, MLS becomes the hands down top league in the Americas and we have 20 or so teams each developing their own stars and constantly signing prospects from North and South America to export to Europe for big bucks after a few seasons in MLS. I dont care if we are a feeder system to the top leagues, as long as the talent in the States increases enough that it's more "watchable".

Old
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
IrishSniper87

Updates:

The team landed in Greece yesterday. Practice and training resumes and some trialists have gone with them (I assume that they sign these guys at some point since they bothered taking them to Greece).

Roger Torres tweeted a few hours ago that he is sad to see Michael go and he wishes him luck. It is believed he is referring to Michael Orozco-Fiscal's loan not being extended and the Union being unable to purchase his contract. It looks like MOF's time in Philly has come to an end, which is unfortunate considering I assumed he was going to get serious minutes playing LB/RB as a more defensive focused back while Williams on the other side tends to pinch and join the attack. This leaves the Union with only 5 defenders and a few midfielders who can sub in back there. Surprised that the Union are ok with being so thin on the backline.

Carlos Ruiz is officially signed and a member of the Union. It is expected that he starts up top with Mwanga and Le Toux slots into the RM/AM spot. Le Toux will still be a huge part of the attack, but this allows him to roam around a lot and be more involved in defense while also giving the Union a guy who is not afraid to shoot. Ruiz is a pure target man.

Old
02-26-2011, 04:42 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Updates:

The team landed in Greece yesterday. Practice and training resumes and some trialists have gone with them (I assume that they sign these guys at some point since they bothered taking them to Greece).

Roger Torres tweeted a few hours ago that he is sad to see Michael go and he wishes him luck. It is believed he is referring to Michael Orozco-Fiscal's loan not being extended and the Union being unable to purchase his contract. It looks like MOF's time in Philly has come to an end, which is unfortunate considering I assumed he was going to get serious minutes playing LB/RB as a more defensive focused back while Williams on the other side tends to pinch and join the attack. This leaves the Union with only 5 defenders and a few midfielders who can sub in back there. Surprised that the Union are ok with being so thin on the backline.

Carlos Ruiz is officially signed and a member of the Union. It is expected that he starts up top with Mwanga and Le Toux slots into the RM/AM spot. Le Toux will still be a huge part of the attack, but this allows him to roam around a lot and be more involved in defense while also giving the Union a guy who is not afraid to shoot. Ruiz is a pure target man.
They have until April 15 to make moves, and then the Summer window. Orozco was an ok player, but I'm not sure he was going to start over Harvey at LB and he definitely shouldn't start over Williams at RB. With Valdes and Califf/Gonzalez in the middle, he was slated to be a backup. He is replaceable.

Old
03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
i am dave

Comcast will be adding FSN HD and GOLTV HD to the lineup "on or after" April 12.

My system currently only goes up to 993, so I don't know if that means I'll need new equipment or not.

Old
03-16-2011, 03:21 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Comcast will be adding FSN HD and GOLTV HD to the lineup "on or after" April 12.

My system currently only goes up to 993, so I don't know if that means I'll need new equipment or not.
the corner of 1st and 1st? how can the same street intersect with itself? you must be at the nexus of the universe!

p.s.
DOOP

Closed Thread