HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal vs Girardi

Old
02-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Staal vs Girardi

Staal gets all the credit, but I think Girardi is right there with him. Girardi is great in his own zone and and a solid checker, I wouldn't say Staal is much better defensively. Staal does have a much better shot, but Girardi has emerged as the superior puck mover this season with 20 assists, which isn't too shabby and is already a career high. Girardi, barring divine intervention, will absolutely shatter career highs in assists and points, so his 2 way game has improved as well. Staal may be the all-star, but like I said, I think Girardi is right there with him. Where would you put Girardi in comparison to Staal?

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 01:55 PM
SomE

vCash: 500
So staal's shot is better because he has more goals.. and Girardi is a better puck mover because he has more assists.. ahhh ! I finally see how things work now!

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

They work great together, BUT Staal is better than girardi, and I don't think its very close.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Pugs35

I think Staal has the ability to be a steadying presence on the D as a whole, as partly evidenced in Girardi's two game absence.

There's no way to know without seeing it, but I don't think the defense would function as well without Staal as it did without Girardi. Just my opinion.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Staal is a legitimate top-pairing defenseman, while I think Girardi is a good complimentary player. And Staal is going to continue to widen the gap between the two throughout the next ~2-3 years.

I also disagree about Staal's shot. Girardi is really efficient at getting his shot to the net, no matter where he shoots it from.

02-01-2011, 02:55 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Girardi is what Girardi is going to be. Staal is still getting better. Not at any point was Girardi better then Staal and it will most likely not happen.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
So staal's shot is better because he has more goals.. and Girardi is a better puck mover because he has more assists.. ahhh ! I finally see how things work now!
It's not just their numbers this year. Staal just shoots a hell of alot harder and his passing game leaves alot to be desired where as Girardi has improved in that area. That's just the way it is. The numbers only reflect that.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I like Girardi, don't get me wrong.

But we've seen how Sauer looked with Staal as well; Staal makes whatever defenseman playing with him, better. Rozy played his best hockey with Staal as well.

02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
chip chipperson*

girardi has been awesome but staal ranks among the elite shutdown dmen. and he will be there for years

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:05 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Staal is a legitimate top-pairing defenseman, while I think Girardi is a good complimentary player. And Staal is going to continue to widen the gap between the two throughout the next ~2-3 years.

I also disagree about Staal's shot. Girardi is really efficient at getting his shot to the net, no matter where he shoots it from.
Then why do I feel like everytime he shoots it doesn't get through traffic?

To answer the question though.

Girardi is an excellent complimentary piece to the defensive puzzle, whereas I think Staal is the type of player you build your blue line around.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
eco's bones

Girardi is having his best season this year--he was pretty good--now he's noticeably better. When people say that Staal is the better of the two I agree--when they say he's only going to widen the gap in the future--I don't necessarily agree because a) I (we) can't say that Girardi (who is still relatively young) is not going to continue to get better in the next few seasons b) I see limits to both Girardi's and Staal's offensive games which is the one area where both could make the greatest improvement.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Both good players.... Girardi is the better shot blocker for sure... Look at the stats... However, I think Staal is stronger in 1 on 1 situations, and Staal is also better at moving the puck in the defensive zone, especially in traffic (he's so calm and composed). Girardi seems to be a little more adept offensively, but not by much.... I think with Girardi, what we see now, is what we're going to get... Which is a pretty solid/consistent defenseman.... But I think Staal's ceiling is higher and he will continue to elevate his game, at least to a certain extent.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Miller Time NYR

The stats don't lie, girardi is a pretty good passer and staal is doing well offensively thus the goals and assists tallies. I think girardi is a great complimentary defenseman, he plays off his partners strengths and weaknesses and he does it well. Staal on the other hand is IMO in a different category, he's among the elite, he's good at everything and is best being a shutdown defensman, he also makes the guys around him better especially girardi. Their both great and will be cornerstones of this defense for years to come but staal is by far the better all around defenseman, keep in mind both are still young and getting better.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
John Torturella

Staal is head and shoulders above Girardi. All you have to do is watch.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:25 PM
OverTheCap

Yes, Girardi has 20 assists, but I can't remember the last time I thought "Wow, what a great pass by Girardi." 11 of his 20 assists are secondary assists, which is fine, but not necessarily indicative of a great passer. His outlet pass is average for a defenseman, nothing special.

I don't think Girardi or Staal are really all that adept at passing, but from an offensive standpoint, Staal has "wowed" me moreso than Girardi. Staal is capable of making an end-to-end rush and weaving through defenders, and he has scored off the rush multiple times, and I can't say the same for Girardi. From a strictly offensive perspective, one can see that Staal has better instincts than Girardi.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
pwoz

Rozsival sucks.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
rody

They are two different players that compliment each other. It wouldn't matter if Girardi had 40 goals and 50 assists. Staal is a STAAL .

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
GarretJoseph*

I suppose you could say Girardi is to Staal what Beukeboom was to Leetch. (without the offensive talent)...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Canjo
AVA

they are both guys that i would love to have on the blue line as a part of a first pairing, but if i had to pick one, it would certainly be Staal, he is a definite top defenseman in the league, he's an all star for a reason

thats not to say that anyone can really be upset or dissapointed in any way with Girardi this season

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote