HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #53 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #53 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
Artem Anisimov 9 9.78%
Brian Boyle 1 1.09%
Ryan Callahan 13 14.13%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 2.17%
Henrik Lundqvist 6 6.52%
Brandon Prust 47 51.09%
Michael Sauer 1 1.09%
Derek Stepan 2 2.17%
Wojtek Wolski 5 5.43%
Mats Zuccarello 3 3.26%
Other 3 3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

vCash: 500
It's crazy how one point, one bounce can completely change the attitude on here. Guys, we have 62 points, in 6th place, 2 out of 5th. Atlanta is falling and falling fast. We have a tough schedule coming up but get some guys back. We just have to get at it and grind out some points.

It was an ugly point, they should have gotten 2, but at least they got 1. **** happens, get over it, and move on.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If we miss the playoffs by one point, I suppose.

The way I see it, we have 7 ties based on our play in the hockey game. We're lucky enough to have 5 extra points, and 2.5 more than the law of averages, shootout incorporated, than we deserve to have.

02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
It's great that they're forechecking and all that jazz, whatever - end result is our team unable to procure the one goal that would have ended the OT or won the game in regulation. Of course people are going to look at the two highest paid players on the team, one of whom is our alleged "bonafide sniper." I love Gabby, but he needs to start utilizing his shot more instead of making that one extra move that leads to the inevitable turnover. </frustrated poster>
Gabby started that Anisimov goal, and had some great moves, and forechecking tonight. Drury also was a big reason for that Prust goal. Them 2 are under way too much of a microscope just bc they have big contracts, of course they are paid to score, but gotta give them credit when it's due.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Janerixon

The Good: Callahan scored a nice deflection to at least earn us a point after I thought we wouldn't score on a 5 minute major, however he should have had 2.
Avery looked very good and was creating plays, shooting, and hitting. He needs to get more time especially if his physical play keeps up.

The bad: Del Zotto, he was skating with Rupp and just couldn't check his stick, that was pretty weak and he still needs so much work on his defensive game. Seeing him and Zucc on the point scares the crap out of me.

The Redden: 1. Our PP which really needs a PP quarterback, and I really believe now that Sather is going to make a trade for a defenseman who can do that be it Kaberle or McCabe, but someone will be brought in because Del Zotto is not ready to be in the nhl yet and Gilroy can't run a PP himself.
2. Officiating, just bad. So many missed calls and even the 5 minute major I was pretty stunned by, maybe a 4 minute double minor but I thought it was a weird call. The shoulder to Avery's head should have been an intent to injure IMO and was another missed call that we will never hear anything about.
3. Versus - Okay normally i destroy Sam and Joe, but man the penguins love was out of control, I was just waiting for them to start cheering for the penguins. They were terrible, the replays and the shootout were awful, I couldn't even tell if a goal was scored.

The Dale Purinton: Why did Prust fight there? Was he trying to stick up for Gaborik? There was no reason and he isn't 100% no need to fight unless it is completely necessary! I respect and admire prust, but bad time to fight and a guy he shouldn't be fighting with unless coming to the aid of another player.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
It's crazy how one point, one bounce can completely change the attitude on here. Guys, we have 62 points, in 6th place, 2 out of 5th. Atlanta is falling and falling fast. We have a tough schedule coming up but get some guys back. We just have to get at it and grind out some points.

It was an ugly point, they should have gotten 2, but at least they got 1. **** happens, get over it, and move on.
That's the way I see it, but if we don't fix some of the few glaring issues with the team I see us sitting in 8th eventually.

We really need a winning streak soon.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Where is Gaborik??!!

No effort, no heart, no fire, no urgency, no pride...nothing.

Gaborik needs to be scratched a game or two to send a message.
The bolded.

This was one of Gaborik's laziest games, and one where I was getting extremely frustrated (which doesn't happen too often with me regarding Gabby) with his display of passion.

He was coasting all over the ice instead of actually moving his legs and SKATING.

POTG: Prust

The Good: Cally and Dubi back, Prust, Hank being lights out in the SO (sans 1).

The Bad: Gabby, Girardi, MDZ... Most of the team... Cally missing the open net.

The Redden: Losing to the Pens, the 1st goal against

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
The bad: Del Zotto, he was skating with Rupp and just couldn't check his stick, that was pretty weak and he still needs so much work on his defensive game. Seeing him and Zucc on the point scares the crap out of me.
That honestly was Lundqvists fault, MDZ was with him and he knocked in a rebound.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
The Dale Purinton: Why did Prust fight there? Was he trying to stick up for Gaborik? There was no reason and he isn't 100% no need to fight unless it is completely necessary! I respect and admire prust, but bad time to fight and a guy he shouldn't be fighting with unless coming to the aid of another player.
Nice, hahaha.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Salvage21

Player of the game: Obvious choice is Prust. Not only did he score the first goal, but he tried to motivate a pretty listless team but getting in hard on the fore check and dropping the gloves.

The good: I think Wolski and Anisimov had excellent games. They are the only creative players(a long with Zucc) on this team. Each one set up a couple of nice plays and Anisimov a few good shots.

Callahan also was pretty good considering the amount of time he missed. Maybe give him one more game and he'll be back to being them most noticeable player on the ice every shift.

Hard to say that wasn't Drury's best game of the season.. Almost wanted to see him on the power play during the major.

McDonagh is going to make Montreal fans very upset with their management. He looked like a seasoned veteran out there.

The bad: The team as a whole was pretty lifeless.

Tortorella calling a time out to rest his guys on a long shift after an icing and the penguins still score on the next shift.

The Redden: Our powerplay. . .

Zucc's shoot out attempt.. Although, it would have been genius if it went in. Admittedly, I'm a bipolar when it comes to the shootout.

Lundqvist's rebound and or Del zotto's coverage on that goal.

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If we miss the playoffs by one point, I suppose.

The way I see it, we have 7 ties based on our play in the hockey game. We're lucky enough to have 5 extra points, and 2.5 more than the law of averages, shootout incorporated, than we deserve to have.
Yeah but there were games where we really gave away points (not even getting 1 we deserved) like against the blue jackets, the islanders early in the season, to some extent the Panthers game, and canadians at home were some bad goals were given up. At least we came back and got a point cause to me the 5 minute PP looked like a chance for the penguins to score a shortie or just build confidence after killing it off and just picking us apart after. Live by the sword (the shootout) die by the sword, I am glad we got a point, I just wished we got 2.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:08 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
That honestly was Lundqvists fault, MDZ was with him and he knocked in a rebound.
It was both their faults.

He had trouble keeping Mike Rupp in check...then again, the Rangers seem to fear Mike Rupp like Eric Lindros.

And that was an awful rebound from Lundqvist.

02-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Del zotto should have had his stick, yeah lundqvist was partially to blame, but if you control a players stick they can't score. Had Staal had control of Kunitz's stick no deflection goal. It is something the rangers really need to work on, i like a good blocked shot, but rebounds are a plenty and if you have control of the opponents stick they can't score, period.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:09 PM
NYR

Quote:
+1

That goal was the difference in the game. It's amazing to me how some people are blind when it comes to their favorite player

NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Nice, hahaha.
I'm glad you enjoy, I just hope I never have to post it again!

Old
02-01-2011, 11:12 PM
OverTheCap

I totally forgot about Callahan missing the wide open net in the 1st. That could have been the difference maker. Maybe we pull away from the Pens and never look back if that goes in.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Its a game where you could pick over 10 things off the top of your head that if this happened we would have won. BUT they didn't, they got a point, now on to the Devils.

Old
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR View Post
+1

That goal was the difference in the game. It's amazing to me how some people are blind when it comes to their favorite player
I haven't seen one post that said it wasn't a bad rebound. But goalies will give up rebounds. You've got to be able to tie up Mike Rupp's stick.

MAF was giving up bad rebounds all game but his defenseman picked him up.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR View Post
+1

Lundqvist isn't my favorite player, it was a bad rebound, no argument from me. However what is Del Zotto doing with rupp, trying to get his number? tie up his stick, it's not that hard, put your stick over his and pull towards your body. The lack of proper stick work cost us 2 goals, that one and the kunitz deflection where Staal did not have Kunitz's stick checked.

To me Callahan's missed goal in the first is what cost us an extra point, you have to bury that no excuse.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
FOXHOUND*

The Good: scored more than 2 goals
The Bad: The team can't win a big game
The Ugly: This team's chances in the playoffs

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Mike Rupp fought through MDZ, and buried a rebound. Cally couldn't put one in an empty net, even if he was being tripped up.

2 Goal swing.

Also the call on Newbury was complete ********.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We're up 2-0 and Prust loses a fight. We then are down 3-2 in the blink of an eye.

I'm not saying it was a cause or even a contributing factor, but I don't get fighting a bigger guy with a bum shoulder while up 2 goals. Thats not "smart" hockey.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
The Good: scored more than 2 goals
The Bad: The team can't win a big game
The Ugly: This team's chances in the playoffs
Caps, Thrash, Van, Canes... those weren't big games last month?

I honestly think is this team makes it to the playoffs, although young, and inexperienced, they can be scary if the pieces fall in the right way.

Old
02-01-2011, 11:19 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We're up 2-0 and Prust loses a fight. We then are down 3-2 in the blink of an eye.

I'm not saying it was a cause or even a contributing factor, but I don't get fighting a bigger guy with a bum shoulder while up 2 goals. Thats not "smart" hockey.
It reminded me of when Voros fought Janssen in St. Louis, he got his ass whupped, the momentum shifted, and we lost the game.

Prust is a ballsy player and held his own against Engelland, but it wasn't necessary to fight him at all.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
XLJ

The Good- Dubi and Cally are back
The Bad- Cally missing a wide open net in the first period. Mike freakin Rupp scored again against us.
The Redden- Powerplay is bad we dont have a threat from the point.

Prust played a good game but what a dumb decision to fight Engelland. We are up 2-0 there is no reason for him to get in a staged fight. That gave Pitt some momentum. Prust has a bad shoulder he should only be fighting if he needs to protect a teammate.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 11:21 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Caps, Thrash, Van, Canes... those weren't big games last month?

I honestly think is this team makes it to the playoffs, although young, and inexperienced, they can be scary if the pieces fall in the right way.
I wasn't impressed by any of those wins. 3 of them were shootout wins and the Van game was 1-0 classic "rely on henrik to not let in a goal" rangers. They followed up that van game with 2 big losses. some statement.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote