HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Spectors Rumors - Interesting Development... Ray Whitney?

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Scoogs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Spectors Rumors - Interesting Development... Ray Whitney?

In Spectors Trade Rumors there comes an interesting point made....

Quote:
POSSIBLE BUYOUT CANDIDATES FOR THE WINGS.

MLIVE.COM: Ansar Khan reports the Detroit Red Wings would have a difficult task getting under a $38-$40 million salary cap:

The Red Wings have 12 players signed for the 2005-06 season at a cost of $31.5 million, factoring in the 24 percent salary rollback the NHL Players Association has apparently accepted.

That would leave the Wings with only $6 million to $8 million to spend and several key players unsigned, including Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Mathieu Dandenault. They also need to sign captain Steve Yzerman, who'll probably return for another season. They also need a veteran starting goaltender, since Curtis Joseph's contract has expired. And once all those players are signed, they still need more bodies to fill out their 23-man roster.

Khan speculates one way out of this problem for the Wings is the provisional buyout for this summer, which for this summer wouldn't count against the salary cap.

Their three most likely buyout candidates are forwards Darren McCarty and Ray Whitney and defenseman Derian Hatcher.

Spector's Note: Wings fans wouldn't kick up much of a fuss if Whitney and Hatcher are bought out, but the popular and gritty McCarty would be another matter.
If this was to happen, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Leafs jersey. Especially if we can get the Saskatchewan native at a discount price..

Last edited by Scoogs: 07-01-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old
07-01-2005, 08:04 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
We will be in the market for skilled forwards (wingers) especially if we lose both Mogs and Nolan. A guy like Whitney might compliment Sundin nicely...he wouldnt be the top on my list but Id look at him if we dont have any other options.

Old
07-01-2005, 08:27 PM
equipe

I was thinking about this a few days ago. He would be a good candidate to play with Sundin.

I wanted the leafs to pick him up a few years ago when Florida was dumping salary and Columbus ended up getting him for a deal. Tons of skill. Just need someone with an edge to play on a line with Whitney and Sundin and it will be fun to watch.

Old
07-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Twist and Shout

Nope, don't want him. There is a reason Detroit apparently doesn't want him and it's not primarily because of his salary.

Old
07-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

No thanks.

Old
07-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
In Spectors Trade Rumors there comes an interesting point made....

If this was to happen, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Leafs jersey. Especially if we can get the Saskatchewan native at a discount price..
According to that rumour Darren McCarty would interest me most in fact ..

Big strong player that would help nulify a Keith Premeau as a shadow or cause fits for a Chara in the Playoffs in front of the net on the PP ..

With the possible loss of Roberts, & Domi via UFA , and Nolan to buyout lots of grit removed from the Lineup..

Little Ray Whitney compounds the problem and if fact I believe Leafs already have their own home grown Ray Whitney, his name is Kyle Wellwood.

Old
07-08-2005, 08:24 PM
darrylsittler27

Id rather get hatcher

How can you have too many big tough vet defman?If we sign Hatcher we have a defense,if we get hatcher and pronger we are cup bound.

Old
07-08-2005, 08:30 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27
How can you have too many big tough vet defman?If we sign Hatcher we have a defense,if we get hatcher and pronger we are cup bound.
With the limited grandmothering Hatcher might not be bought out.

Old
07-09-2005, 09:08 PM
albathegreat*

Hopefully if Toronto is active, and they probably will be they go after players with some size. I like Ray Whitney but I wouldnt want him on the Leafs. Chances are they will get someone that will be completely off the radar.

Old
07-11-2005, 10:24 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Saskatchewan native at a discount price..
That would be Forth Saskatchewan, Alberta. Pretty much a suburb of Edmonton.

Old
07-11-2005, 10:27 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
That would be Forth Saskatchewan, Alberta. Pretty much a suburb of Edmonton.
Don't flatter the city of cheaters.

Closed Thread