HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings @ Wild - 2/1/11 - Postgame THOUGHTZZZzzzzzzzz

Old
02-02-2011, 12:30 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

vCash: 500
We got a point without scoring a goal. Kind of puts it into perspective.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:33 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I just finished watching the game. Great game by Bernier. Sad that the team couldn't even score one for him in the SO. That's what I hate about a SO loss, he gets a shut out on record (correct?) yet loses 1-0.

The rest of the game, no one really stood out to me. Drew had a good game, I will say.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

25 games this season the Kings have scored 2 or fewer goals through regulation and OT

2 Goals- 14 times (3-6-1) + 4 Shootout wins
1 Goals- 7 times (1-6-1)
0 Goals- 4 times (0-3-1)

That is 49% of the games played

Here are some comps for teams currently in the playoffs

Vancouver

2 Goals- 7 times (4-3-0)
1 Goals- 7 times (0-3-4)
0 Goals- 3 times (0-3-0)

33%

Detroit

2 Goals- 9 times (3-4-2)
1 Goals- 6 times (0-5-0) + 1 shootout win
0 Goals- 1 time (0-1-0)

32%

Dallas

2 Goals- 15 times (6-5-2) +2 shootout wins
1 Goals- 5 times (0-4-1) +1 shootout win
0 Goals- 2 times (0-2-0)

43%

Nashville

2 Goals- 11 times (1-5-2) +3 shootout
1 Goals- 10 times (1-6-2) +1 shootout
0 Goals- 4 times (0-3-1)

49%

Anaheim

2 Goals- 10 times (3-6-0)
1 Goals- 12 times (2-8-1) + 1 shootout win
0 Goals - 2 times (0-2-0)

46%

Phoenix

2 Goals- 10 times (3-5-2)
1 Goals- 7 times (1-4-2)
0 Goals- 4 times (0-4-0)

40%

Chicago

2 Goals - 12 times (1-9-1) +1 shootout win
1 Goals - 7 times (0-5-1) +1 shootout win
0 Goals - 1 times (0-1-0

39%

Minnesota

2 Goals- 10- times (4-2-4)
1 Goals- 13 times (1-11-1) +2 shootout wins
0 Goals- 3 times (0-2-0) + 1 shootout win

52%

---------------------------------------------------------

So only 1 current team in the playoffs scores fewer than 3 goals more often than the Kings, the #8 Wild and one team is equal the #4 Preds.

The Kings have been shutout more than any team currently in the playoffs, in fairness the SJ result is pending and they have been shut out a whopping 7 times.

The Kings have not had many injury issues, especially up front. The Kings cannot hang their lack of offense on injuries. Detroit, Anaheim, Chicago have all faced injuries to star players.

The Kings lack of getting loser points this year has added to these woes (we all knew that). The Kings are 3-8 in one goal regulation games, including 0-3 vs. Chicago.

The Kings are yet to score with the goalie pulled this season, last year we scored 3 goals with an extra attacker (Frolov x2, Handzus) and went 1-0-2 in those games. Might seem like a small thing but 4 points are HUGE right now.

The Kings PP which was 7th in the NHL last year is currently 21st.

The Kings have lost 10 games in regulation that the game was tied or we were ahead during the 3rd period. Last season it happened 9 times total over 82 games.

The Kings record is perfect when we are up after two periods, the problem is the lack of anyone stepping up and scoring big goals to break ties. Handzus and Smyth did a ton of that last season, where are those goals this season?

So looking into these stats more it becomes painfully obvious whats killing the Kings this season.

1. PP - I mean with the exception of Frolov, everyone is back. If our PP was doing what it did last season we are probably the 5 or 6 seed, maybe higher.

2. Lack of clutch goals. The team needs to man up in the 3rd period, when we are either tied or down a goal we need to score more goals. Remember Handzus vs. Detroit and Williams vs. the Ducks, need more efforts like that.

3. Winning more games in regulation and losing less in regulation. The Kings numbers are not good for either. We give away to many 3 point games and don't get into enough of them. Look at the Chicago games. The Kings went 0-4 vs. the Hawks, giving them essentially 8 free points. All the games were close games, had the Kings been able to win 1 in regulation and get a loser point out of one that is a 6 point swing in the standings, which puts the Kings in the playoffs and the Hawks out.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:42 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Random question, but will the Kings Flyers game be televised? I thought Rich mentioned that all 82 games would be...

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Orenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Random question, but will the Kings Flyers game be televised? I thought Rich mentioned that all 82 games would be...
I thought the Flyers game was on NBC, or did we get flexed out?

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

A lucky toe save away from a probable win. Tough game to lose, but hey, a point's a point.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:07 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Damn.. a point is a point, I guess. Now that game in Edmonton is crucial, we need a W.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Dude.... we scored the same amount of goals with Crawford as coach and had a horrifically bad defense....

Honestly... complain about something that actually existed.
Does Thornton, Willsie, Armstrong, McAuley, Conroy ring a bell ???????
Yes ??? Right...... these were our top offense guys.

If you defend the fact as a success that our recent squad scores as much as these guys did,
you have really lowered expectations.
But i can tell you...... this offense system is leading nowhere.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
25 games this season the Kings have scored 2 or fewer goals through regulation and OT

2 Goals- 14 times (3-6-1) + 4 Shootout wins
1 Goals- 7 times (1-6-1)
0 Goals- 4 times (0-3-1)

That is 49% of the games played

Here are some comps for teams currently in the playoffs

Vancouver

2 Goals- 7 times (4-3-0)
1 Goals- 7 times (0-3-4)
0 Goals- 3 times (0-3-0)

33%

Detroit

2 Goals- 9 times (3-4-2)
1 Goals- 6 times (0-5-0) + 1 shootout win
0 Goals- 1 time (0-1-0)

32%

Dallas

2 Goals- 15 times (6-5-2) +2 shootout wins
1 Goals- 5 times (0-4-1) +1 shootout win
0 Goals- 2 times (0-2-0)

43%

Nashville

2 Goals- 11 times (1-5-2) +3 shootout
1 Goals- 10 times (1-6-2) +1 shootout
0 Goals- 4 times (0-3-1)

49%

Anaheim

2 Goals- 10 times (3-6-0)
1 Goals- 12 times (2-8-1) + 1 shootout win
0 Goals - 2 times (0-2-0)

46%

Phoenix

2 Goals- 10 times (3-5-2)
1 Goals- 7 times (1-4-2)
0 Goals- 4 times (0-4-0)

40%

Chicago

2 Goals - 12 times (1-9-1) +1 shootout win
1 Goals - 7 times (0-5-1) +1 shootout win
0 Goals - 1 times (0-1-0

39%

Minnesota

2 Goals- 10- times (4-2-4)
1 Goals- 13 times (1-11-1) +2 shootout wins
0 Goals- 3 times (0-2-0) + 1 shootout win

52%

---------------------------------------------------------

So only 1 current team in the playoffs scores fewer than 3 goals more often than the Kings, the #8 Wild and one team is equal the #4 Preds.

The Kings have been shutout more than any team currently in the playoffs, in fairness the SJ result is pending and they have been shut out a whopping 7 times.

The Kings have not had many injury issues, especially up front. The Kings cannot hang their lack of offense on injuries. Detroit, Anaheim, Chicago have all faced injuries to star players.

The Kings lack of getting loser points this year has added to these woes (we all knew that). The Kings are 3-8 in one goal regulation games, including 0-3 vs. Chicago.

The Kings are yet to score with the goalie pulled this season, last year we scored 3 goals with an extra attacker (Frolov x2, Handzus) and went 1-0-2 in those games. Might seem like a small thing but 4 points are HUGE right now.

The Kings PP which was 7th in the NHL last year is currently 21st.

The Kings have lost 10 games in regulation that the game was tied or we were ahead during the 3rd period. Last season it happened 9 times total over 82 games.

The Kings record is perfect when we are up after two periods, the problem is the lack of anyone stepping up and scoring big goals to break ties. Handzus and Smyth did a ton of that last season, where are those goals this season?

So looking into these stats more it becomes painfully obvious whats killing the Kings this season.

1. PP - I mean with the exception of Frolov, everyone is back. If our PP was doing what it did last season we are probably the 5 or 6 seed, maybe higher.

2. Lack of clutch goals. The team needs to man up in the 3rd period, when we are either tied or down a goal we need to score more goals. Remember Handzus vs. Detroit and Williams vs. the Ducks, need more efforts like that.

3. Winning more games in regulation and losing less in regulation. The Kings numbers are not good for either. We give away to many 3 point games and don't get into enough of them. Look at the Chicago games. The Kings went 0-4 vs. the Hawks, giving them essentially 8 free points. All the games were close games, had the Kings been able to win 1 in regulation and get a loser point out of one that is a 6 point swing in the standings, which puts the Kings in the playoffs and the Hawks out.

It is difficult to refute the above mentioned statistics. The Kings have been incapable of winning low scoring games, and they can't rely on their offense to win games. Defensively, the team played flawlessly today, but they just aren't showing much desperation to create scoring chances.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:34 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Once again, another team above us collecting points. This can't continue to happen. We need to win in regulation against the Wild and Sharks. Giving playoff contending teams points, only hurts us more. Time is not on our side, we're still in 11th place.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:43 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
The more I watch this team the more I realize last years playoff achievement was a total fluke. We belong right were we are, fighting it out with Calgary...
Yep...I agree.

This team put itself in a hole as far as playoffs go. It needs to win games, not eke it out and settle for a point against a team already in the top 8. They should have won tonight, and who knows what will happen in the Oilers game. They have some talent on offense and have shown they can play real good hockey at times.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:24 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
Cherepanov???
You lost a glorious chance to ****

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:36 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

they dont score a goal, yet get a point, ill take it

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
I never thought a player could get worse as he matures until I met Dustin Brown.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:39 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Pretty much ended how I thought it would. Hate playing the Wild. Sadly, they move ahead of the Kings with the extra point.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Ollie Weeks

we got a point. overrated outcome is overrated.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:58 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
wow,
what a dreadful game get up to watch at 2am.
Last time we were up there the game was much more exciting. After falling behind our offense showed a lot more desperation and determination.

I guess, we take the point and move on. Playing against the Wild is one of those "close-your-eyes-and-think-of-england" kind of moments. At least we got a point out of it.

- It was nice to see Bernier have a strong game. can't fault him for the SO loss.

Creating about 1 scoring chances in the game ... now who do we see about that. This squad has had terrific streaks this season like early in the season and as late as december, without need of any additional players. 7 points in last 4 isn't bad at all .. we just got to keep the streak going and pick up some points

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:13 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Missing a legit LWer has had its toll on Kopi, I kept waiting for the all star performance to surface. Wish he would try to take games over by himself more. Malkinesk ya know. What to do, what to do. I'm starting to think we overachieved at the beginning of the year. Am I right in this thinking, I hope not.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:38 AM
lumbergh

The highlight reel from this one should last about 30 seconds. No wonder the Wild don't sell out the arena anymore. You can get more comfortable sleep at home.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
A point helps.
That is all.

OK, who said last week that these first 3 games of the road trip would be easy wins?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3machine View Post
were like what.. 4 or 5 points behind last years pace? .. at most?

Do you even know what you are talking about?

They have points in 4 straight now.. like it or not.. this is the kind of hockey that this team is going to need to play the rest of the way.

Last year the Kings went on a 12-0 run. Do you see that happening again this year? I sure as hell don't.

Do you know what you're talking about, because playing hockey without scoring goals is not the way the Kings are going to need to play down the stretch.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Missing a legit LWer has had its toll on Kopi, I kept waiting for the all star performance to surface. Wish he would try to take games over by himself more. Malkinesk ya know. What to do, what to do. I'm starting to think we overachieved at the beginning of the year. Am I right in this thinking, I hope not.
I don't think it was a matter of overachieving so much as a matter of all the breaks going the Kings way. The puck was just bouncing the Kings way at the start of the year. Right now it just isn't going their way... The Kings still got a point out of a game they needed a point out of. It just didn't help at all in the standings.

I said at the start of the year that this team is built for playoff hockey, the hardest part is going to be getting there. The Kings just aren't built to win 60+ games a year. They are a team that is built to not lose 4 games in a best of 7 games series... Hopefully that makes sense.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:09 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I don't want to be a total fan girl here, and I know it sucks that we lost, but not enough of you are giving props to JB. He made some hard saves down the stretch to get us to OT and got a SHUTOUT. That seems to have been lost in the shuffle. If we won this game 3-0, would more of you give him props for the shut out? I think it really sucks that the kid doesn't give up a goal except ONE shoot out goal and he loses. Talk about short end of the stick.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Doughty and Loktionov tried to create offense, but the Wild just congested their zone and blocked shots. Kopitar should have really attacked the net more. He was disappointing.
Yes, KOPITAR should ALWAYS attack the net more than he does, but the Wild are very good at clogging the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... First off, success is entertaining.

The Kings arguably have the best defense in the entire NHL.

If you cannot appreciate more success and great defense, well - that's on you.
I'll take the point, we need every one we can get, but not scoring does not equate with OFFENSIVE success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
It was sad watching Doughty, trying to create something while everyone else watched. They just stand still when he enters the offensive zone.
Too many players watching rather than skating. I felt the exact same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
Cherepanov???
I know it was supposed to be a joke but, Tasteless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
A goal would have done nicely.
Yep

Quote:
Sharks beat Coyotes 5-3 in regulation.

Now 2 points behind them and 4 behind Coyotes (with game in hand).

Ducks/Sharks play tomorrow.
Its going to kill me to have to watch other teams records to evaluate the kings chances of making the playoffs. It so much better to just have to watch their own record and control their own destiny, which they still do, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
How many King fans who watched the game tonight thought Brown would score on his shootout attempt?
only the overly optimistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
A lucky toe save away from a probable win. Tough game to lose, but hey, a point's a point.
NO, That was not luck. That was a phenomenal save. That kicked up leg pad toe save decided the game. Give Backstrom the credit he deserves for that. Its was a brilliant dispaly of athletic and goaltending ability

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:45 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Does Thornton, Willsie, Armstrong, McAuley, Conroy ring a bell ???????
Yes ??? Right...... these were our top offense guys.
... They weren't either, and you know it. Thornton was 14th on the team in scoring, then 18th. Willsie was 11th, then 14th. Conroy was 13th, then gone. McCauley scored one point as a King. ONE POINT = TOP OFFENSE GUY AMIRITE

Why don't you say who the top offensive guys really were, instead? They were Cammalleri, Frolov, Kopitar, Visnovsky, Brown, O'Sullivan - not a bad collection of players at that time. And not only that, the teams under Crawford sacrificed defense to get offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
If you defend the fact as a success that our recent squad scores as much as these guys did,
you have really lowered expectations.
... Don't have to "defend" anything. The Kings are an average offensive team and an outstanding defensive team when compared to the rest of the league. Again, if you don't appreciate good defense, that's your problem. Having to resort to things like "McCauley was one of our top offense guys under Crawford" in order to justify your irrational obsession with bashing Murray every day just makes you look dishonest and weakens your point that much more.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote