HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Back Surgery for Edler - Surgery Successful, 10-12 Weeks Recovery Time(Jan31st)

Old
02-02-2011, 02:23 AM
Hammer79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
You seriously think the team held off on back surgery on its best and most important defenseman until it made the most sense cap wise?

Back surgeries are far, far from a sure thing when it comes to rehabilitation time. Bertuzzi was supposed to miss 6-8 weeks with his and he ended up being out 5 months.
Yeah, I can't believe it's seriously being discussed either.

Quote:
This obsession of coming up with all kinds of ideas to get Sami Salo back into the line-up is so annoying. Without Salo in the line-up this year, the Canucks are on pace to set all kinds of franchise winning records. Salo coming back is just a bonus. It's not like the Canucks are clinging to a playoff spot and need him desperately. To try to get rid of the players who have contributed to the record so far (Bieksa, waiving Ballard, Samuelsson) or to fake an injury to the team's best defenceman just to insert Salo, who's coming off a serious injury, hasn't played in a year, and likely to get injured again, is so ridiculous.
Agreed. We obviously didn't need him to get into the President's trophy chase. Edler on the other hand was on pace for 13g 40a season. I see no way that the timing of this surgery is anything but coincidental.

Sure, having this core for the playoffs would be nice, but I wonder if we'll even see this core altogether at once this season:

Edler Ehrhoff
Bieksa Hamhuis
Ballard Salo
Alberts

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:31 AM
0123456789*

^So when would you suggest Edler have his surgery?
He has been playing with a herniated disc for a while now.

Should he have had his surgery before?
Should he have had his surgery later?
Should he have waited until the off season to have his surgery?

What was on Gillis's mind when he decided what to do with Edler?

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
^So when would you suggest Edler have his surgery?
He has been playing with a herniated disc for a while now.

Should he have had his surgery before?
Should he have had his surgery later?
Should he have waited until the off season to have his surgery?

What was on Gillis's mind when he decided what to do with Edler?
Did Gillis decide anything? He's not a doctor. Sure, he can give Edler his opinion but I doubt that he has the final say on the matter. Most players wouldn't risk the rest of their career by trying to play through it for a one season run.

My guess would be that his doctor initially thought he could put off surgery until the off-season, but he changed his mind and decided that now is better than later.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Cocoa Crisp

I tend to side with Alesmarv on this one. It's quite possible that it was medically indicated that he have surgery within a given time frame with no serious risk of further injury. There are many injuries where that is the case.

Any MD's on the board are more than welcome to chime in.

If Gillis has the luxury of having a surgeon basically on retainer to perform the surgery when it best fits the Canucks time table, then good for him. Well played. No conspiracy here. Just shrewd asset management.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
wetcoastwhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
I tend to side with Alesmarv on this one. It's quite possible that it was medically indicated that he have surgery within a given time frame with no serious risk of further injury. There are many injuries where that is the case.

Any MD's on the board are more than welcome to chime in.

If Gillis has the luxury of having a surgeon basically on retainer to perform the surgery when it best fits the Canucks time table, then good for him. Well played. No conspiracy here. Just shrewd asset management.
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but if there had been a lingering underlying condition that required surgery, I think there would have been a lot more "maintenance days" leading up to the decision to proceed with surgery (I don't remember any, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen).

The Benn hit was an absolute blast of a check, and Benn still isn't back (at least for the game we had against them) and he isn't a small customer. I believe the official story that the dynamic nature of that collision caused/worsened the tear, making surgery inevitable.

wetcoastwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
Edler has had a nagging back injury, no one is denying that. The fact of the matter is that there is a greater net benefit for the team to have Edler healthy come playoff time and Salo up to speed at the same time.

This means.
A)Having Edler miss as little number of games as possible.
B)Having Edler have the optimum amount of conditioning time before playing.
C)Having Salo play as much as possible from the time he is healthy until the playoffs.

Come playoff time I would rather have a healthy and rested Edler who will need maybe one or two games to get to 100% and a healthy and rested Salo who will have zero rust and be the Salo we know.

Lot better then having a unhealthy Edler whos injury can at any time worsen and he can be out for the year and a Salo who hasnt played in a year.
I wasn't suggesting rushing Edler back from injury. But I don't like the idea of throwing Edler into the playoffs cold when he's our best defenseman. If Salo weren't in the equation, he probably would have at least gotten a few regular season games to shake the rust off.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote