HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards

Old
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
slip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You still are paying him below $1mil in Year 9, when he's 40, and Year 10, when he's older than 40. That directly violates the agreement discussed in the below link. No team is going to be foolish enough to even flirt with cap circumvention this year. The climate has changed. The league is emboldened because it knows the arbitrator will likely find in its favor.

Also, the league has never said the Hossa, Savard, and Luongo contracts do not circumvent the cap. Rather, they agreed to suspend their investigation of those contracts as consideration for the agreement encapsulated in the below link. Big difference.

http://www.nhlpa.com/News/Media-Rele...2-9D3665909841
Thanks for the link, Zip.

In that case, just pay Richards 1 million over the last 3 years rather than 500k over the last 2.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The thing that worries me is that Richards will be 31yo when he hits UFA.

If he commands a 7 or 8 year deal, that's going to be $7 to 8M against the cap for a guy that is closer to 40 than 30 for 2 or 3 years.

That would be hard for me to envision Regier even thinking about.

And I don't know that it isn't the right way to think.

Now if they could swing a crazy deal like Roy for Schenn and then you have Richards as a mentor, that might work.....

It's going to be interesting to see if Regier sticks around. And if not, it will be really interesting to see if the next GM blows things up and starts moving the big "core" guys (Roy, Vanek, and Miller).

They have to find some somewhere and for this team, carrying cap vs. real salary under BTG hasn't been an issue, so that may still be the case going forward.

Carter might be another target, via trade, for a pivot to carry the offensive load but they still need a pair of good, no, very good centers to go forward.

I still fear the possibility that they panic *again* and retain Connolly *again*.

02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
They have to find some somewhere and for this team, carrying cap vs. real salary under BTG hasn't been an issue, so that may still be the case going forward.

Carter might be another target, via trade, for a pivot to carry the offensive load but they still need a pair of good, no, very good centers to go forward.

I still fear the possibility that they panic *again* and retain Connolly *again*.
I think the most intriguing question will be whether Pegula is willing to make a push for the big UFA's by front-loading deals and thereby carry real salary far greater than the players' cap numbers. For instance, I wonder if he'd offer Richards and 8yr, $60 mil deal ($7.5 cap hit), and make the final three years be for a total of $5 mil and the first five years for $55 mil. Even if Richards doesn't agree to it, I bet it'd get him (and his agent) thinking.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:

For the love of gawd, please NO!!!

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
Not to nit pick, but Bobrovsky was a UFA (undrafted) signing.
fixed a few errors. thank you

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:38 AM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

Would Connolly be such a bad option for 1 more year if Richards, Stoll, Ribiero, etc. are too expensive/unavailable.

Personally Connolly as our second center is significantly better than Adam, Hecht or Byron at 2C for me.

As for Richards if Pegula were willing to spend the dough he'd instantly make the team a power in the East.

Another interesting question. Does Regier's history really tell us anything about his future if he remains the Sabre's GM? He has always been hamstrung by spending caps, would he operate differently with a larger budget?

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Pengo

No thanks to Connolly.

If we can't get Richards, then the next option should be getting a #2 center (or maybe a #1 but I doubt that's possible) through a trade.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupWanted View Post
Another interesting question. Does Regier's history really tell us anything about his future if he remains the Sabre's GM? He has always been hamstrung by spending caps, would he operate differently with a larger budget?
Really?

They've been, at worst, a middle of the road salary team post-lockout.

And there was a season or two that they spent right up to the cap.

Regier hasn't been able to stash overpaid guys in the AHL and the only contract they have bought out is TK, but I don't believe the budget was as big an issue as the bad contracts Regier gave out.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
No thanks to Connolly.

If we can't get Richards, then the next option should be getting a #2 center (or maybe a #1 but I doubt that's possible) through a trade.
I agree

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:58 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:

If they do opt to break up the core, I wouldn't mind trying to see if they could pry Hodgson & Schneider out of Vancouver, Carter would be good, Schenn of course, and a few other younger guys that they could potentially try and get if they offer up guys like Roy & Miller.

Or if the Blackhawks are done in by their goaltending, could Miller to Chicago for a package of forwards (I won't even throw out the South Buffalo wet dream) work?

Or the old Miller to Detroit stuff if they let Howard walk.

This could be a good summer to move Miller and get a UFA goalie or two and a new Owner/GM honeymoon period might be the best time to make that move.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
Brad Richards is exactly what a lot of teams need. There is a reason he will get the highest payout of all the UFA's this summer.
QFT - not to mention his playoff MVP performance standing out as proof he's able to excel under pressure as well.

With a player like him that's clearly going to be coveted by so many teams, it really comes down to who and where he wants to play for. Buffalo could outbid every other suitor and still not land him if he wants to play elsewhere.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Personally Connolly as our second center is significantly better than Adam, Hecht or Byron at 2C for me.
That depends on whether you think talent alone wins out over passion and effort.

Old
02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Would Connolly be such a bad option for 1 more year if Richards, Stoll, Ribiero, etc. are too expensive/unavailable.

As a card carrying fan of "The Connolly that could have been", It's time to cut ties and move on.
If it means regressing to Byron or Adam, so be it.
I would rather have Ellis centering our 2nd line than Connolly in 2011/2012.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 04:44 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
If they do opt to break up the core, I wouldn't mind trying to see if they could pry Hodgson & Schneider out of Vancouver, Carter would be good, Schenn of course, and a few other younger guys that they could potentially try and get if they offer up guys like Roy & Miller.

Or if the Blackhawks are done in by their goaltending, could Miller to Chicago for a package of forwards (I won't even throw out the South Buffalo wet dream) work?

Or the old Miller to Detroit stuff if they let Howard walk.

This could be a good summer to move Miller and get a UFA goalie or two and a new Owner/GM honeymoon period might be the best time to make that move.
Columbus has 4 centers that all interest me at some level if we go the trade avenue (Brassard, Vermette, Umburger or Johansen). The cost may be high but getting some center depth on this team is a must.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Columbus has 4 centers that all interest me at some level if we go the trade avenue (Brassard, Vermette, Umburger or Johansen). The cost may be high but getting some center depth on this team is a must.
I like all of those players, but I don't see who the Jackets would trade in that group. Vermette is a really solid 2C, a great faceoff guy, and he's inked to an affordable deal. Brassard and Johansen are young, talented, and cheap--which is important to a budget team like the Jackets. Umberger is playing wing this year, but has been a center for the last few seasons, so he could play center here. The problem is that he's a major piece of their leadership core. If Howson sees the ways of the league, which I'm sure he does, he should hold onto all four and develop his center corps around Brassard, Johansen, and Vermette. And if any one of them gets hurt, you can just slot Umberger in there and not really lose anything.

I'd love to work a deal with Columbus, but I'm not sure they'd trade any of those players.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Had Quinn stuck around or if Pegula comes out in open support of keeping Regier next year, then I'll share your fear, CS. Afterall, he's the one who keeps trumping Connolly as a top 20 center.

However, my gut feeling is that the love affair with Connolly will leave when Regier is let go. I think Ruff is tired of trying to squeeze blood from the stone that Connolly is - if Pegula retains Ruff, I'd lay money down that Connolly walks this summer.

Old
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Obviously, we'd all like to sign Richards or trade for Stoll, etc. But let's say we can't land Richards (likely) and there truly isn't anything close to a reasonable trade for another center, but we can re-sign Connolly for 1 year for $3.5M. In that scenario (which is a sucky, but likely scenario), we probaly wind up with another year of Tim.

Question: if we let Timmy walk, what kind of deal will he get on the open market, and who will sign him?

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:38 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Delete

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 02-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:

As for Richards if Pegula were willing to spend the dough he'd instantly make the team a power in the East.

I think it's about time we give up on Connolly, even if he is the "best" option on paper.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Pengo

The list of UFA centers other than Richards and Connolly who make more than $2M:

Michael Nylander
Jason Arnott
Michal Handzus
Todd White
Brooks Laich

other than Laich

Old
02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
It seems unlikely the Dallas Stars' ownership situation will sort itself out anytime soon. That uncertainty makes it almost impossible for Brad Richards to negotiate an extension with the Stars.

Richards and his agent Pat Morris have an excellent relationship with Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk and will continue to listen to updates on ownership possibilities, while also allowing Dallas to dictate the pace and direction the organization wants to go with the star centre.

An in-season trade is highly unlikely. However, if presented, Richards would consider his options provided enough time was given to weigh the possibilities of making the move - especially if the proposal were to include a contract extension.

Another scenario could see Richards turn down such an opportunity and finish the season in Dallas hopeful that ownership solidifies in time for him to comfortably re-sign with the Stars.

This would have to happen before the NHL Entry Draft in June, the next logical hot-spot for trade prior to Richards cruising into unrestricted free agency on July 1.

There is no doubt Stars management wants to keep their top scorer and they have expressed this desire, but negotiating the term and dollars is very difficult to do while ownership remains in question.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Old
02-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Pengo

Interesting. So a trade is possible.

What would you guys offer for Richards? Maybe Pominville + Sekera + a prospect + our 2011 1st? Dallas needs RWs and D-men from what I can tell.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Interesting. So a trade is possible.

What would you guys offer for Richards? Maybe Pominville + Sekera + a prospect + our 2011 1st? Dallas needs RWs and D-men from what I can tell.
We would be stupid to give up that much for a rental, which is all Richards is until he signs a contract this summer. Star players who are about to be UFAs never go for that much, because it is highly unlikely that they'll re-sign with the team they're traded to. I'd probably offer Sekera and our 1st at most, similar to what Campbell went for (Bernier and a 1st).

Quote:
The list of UFA centers other than Richards and Connolly who make more than $2M:

Michael Nylander
Jason Arnott
Michal Handzus
Todd White
Brooks Laich

other than Laich
I can't see Washington letting Laich go. They're in almost as much trouble down the middle as we are. After Backstrom they don't have much of anything.

All the others listed there just aren't good enough.

TJ Oshie is an RFA this summer. With St. Louis being at the bottom of the West yet again, they might be looking to shake up their roster for next season. I doubt Oshie is the one they're looking to move, but I think for the right offer they'd be willing to move him. They already have MacDonald, Backes, Berglund, Steen, and McClement down the middle. Maybe they'd be looking to upgrade the wings, and we could sign Oshie for 3-3.5 a year/3 year deal over the summer.

Last edited by Ron Barr: 02-10-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Pengo

That's basically the return Atlanta got for Kovalchuk.

Pominville = Bergfors (Poms is probably better/more proven but his salary cancels that out somewhat)

Sekera = Oduya (you may disagree with this, I'm not sure)

Prospect = Cormier

And then the 1st.

Trading for Richards would be the best way to get him to re-sign in Buffalo. Going back to Kovalchuk, he probably wouldn't have signed with NJ if they hadn't traded for him. But we might be better off trading for another center (Weiss) and hoping that Richards signs with us anyway.

Center depth next season would be:

Richards
Roy
Weiss
Gaustad

Old
02-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
that team would be my target as well

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote