HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #53 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #53 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
Artem Anisimov 9 9.78%
Brian Boyle 1 1.09%
Ryan Callahan 13 14.13%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 2.17%
Henrik Lundqvist 6 6.52%
Brandon Prust 47 51.09%
Michael Sauer 1 1.09%
Derek Stepan 2 2.17%
Wojtek Wolski 5 5.43%
Mats Zuccarello 3 3.26%
Other 3 3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
SportsArchaeologist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR510 View Post
I understand the shootout... but I think the overtime period should be longer.
me too. i vote for 10 minutes.

SportsArchaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I thought Wolski was our best player all night.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I thought Wolski was our best player all night.
He was certainly up there. He needs to play with skilled players though. He's a very good player.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:11 AM
TigerJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Also, what the **** Zuccarello? Why change the move all of a sudden, and do something boneheaded like THAT, when you're 4-4? That basically cost us the shootout.
Seriously? This is simply unfair. It seems quite harsh to say that "he basically cost us the shootout" when all the other players also missed. Zucca eventually had to do something different. Most of the goalies have now seen his shootout goals, and he needs to show that he has other possibilites. And of course his first miss in a shoot-out had to come one day. Actually he would have scored if he had shot harder. The puck slips through Fleury´s pads, but didn´t have enough speed to go in.

Zuke didn´t show very much today, but still got an assist and should´ve had another one on his pass to Stepan who got robbed by Fluery....

TigerJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:42 AM
AJRanger

I was frustrated last night, but I'll take the positive route this morning; we gained a point on the 'Canes, Thrashers and Flyers.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:13 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
First game back after the all star break, we scored 3 goals...and we have players coming back that need a game and some practices to get back in to the swing of things!!! so hopefully we will look a lil better on Thursday night.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Prust is the reason we lost the game. we were up 2 zip, he had no business dropping the gloves. Pens scored 3 straight after the fight. Gotta be smarter than that.
I pray to God you are kiddig? Hank giving huge rebounds into the slot and getting burned short side on a 50 ft slapper is why we lost the game.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I pray to God you are kiddig? Hank giving huge rebounds into the slot and getting burned short side on a 50 ft slapper is why we lost the game.
Is it just me, or do we often seem to give away these HUUUUGE momentum shifts to the Pens that often result in them taking the game?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:34 AM
KingStian

Quote:
It is so damn wrong to blame a single player for this loss. Yes, it was a poor choice of Prust to drop the gloves there. Yes, Lundqvist has definitely had better games and saved better shots before.

So can you take into account that their first goal came in the power play on a very dubious penalty. That penalty was as much a part in reversing the momentum in the match as Prust's fight.

KingStian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:45 AM
CaptainCallahan*

Quote:
That rebound was indeed brutal, but that slapshot that Dustin Jeffrey took clearly pinballed off Dan Girardi. He not only missed the blocked shot, but redirected it from a low routine save into an above the shoulder goal. Can't blame that one on Lundqvist man

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:53 AM
NYRCC

gaborik has been absolutely terrible lately. he's not skating at all. he has to be the difference in games like this. the pp is also downright wretched.

UGH. I'm getting real sick of gaborik and his lousy effort night in and night out. what a joke. if he isn't damaged goods at this point, he's not playing anywhere near as hard as he should be. if i was torts i'd bench his ass for a game or two.

when was the last time our pp didn't suck? straka - nylander - jagr? UGH. what a ****** loss last night.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Levitate

Frustrating game. The Rangers pretty much dominated all night and I can't fault their effort there, but their defense in front of the net seemed to get too relaxed in the 2nd period and guys weren't blocking shots properly. Things also looked a little discombobulated with Callahan and Dubinsky shaking up the lines, but ultimately it was the defensive letdowns in the 2nd that hurt.

The second goal was a pretty bad rebound by Lundqvist, though the puck was bouncing all weird

At least they picked up a point on Carolina and Atlanta. Go out and win the next one

edit: the shootout was frustrating. Almost all the shooters seemed unsure of what to do and their moves were weak. Stepan almost did have Fleury beat if he could have lifted the puck, but everyone else took weak shots or waited too long to make their moves

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Bardof425*

You people are unbelievable. The Penguins are one of the best defensive teams in the league with a 92% kill rate on the PK on the road. They have a strong, veteran D and an all-star goalie. They got two goals on deflections and MAF played great. Was it the best effort? No, but without their two star centers they have proven they can win by playing a more defensive game and they did that. We are on our way but for the 50th time we are not contenders yet. Enjoy the progress you are getting out of Sauer, McD, Step and other youngsters and soon we will be legit contenders. For now expect games like this as we are not the most talented team on the block. Geez.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Not after Newbury's penalty... he was basically glued to the bench after that. Plus Torts has Drury on to lose every defensive zone faceoff we have these days, why I have no idea? Drury actually wasn't that bad tonight, he wasn't good but wasn't as bad as he has been except he lost a bunch of defensive zone draws. Newbury will not play vs the devils.
Are you drunk? Drury was great in the dot tonight. Look, there's alot you can say about his game but he's still really good on faceoffs and although his time has been very limited he has been generating some scoring chances as of late. Fleury made a dynamite glove save on a Drury scorcher which appeared to be labeled. So, whine if you want about his contract but don't blast him for things he's actually doing well.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:36 AM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
You people are unbelievable. The Penguins are one of the best defensive teams in the league with a 92% kill rate on the PK on the road. They have a strong, veteran D and an all-star goalie. They got two goals on deflections and MAF played great. Was it the best effort? No, but without their two star centers they have proven they can win by playing a more defensive game and they did that. We are on our way but for the 50th time we are not contenders yet. Enjoy the progress you are getting out of Sauer, McD, Step and other youngsters and soon we will be legit contenders. For now expect games like this as we are not the most talented team on the block. Geez.
it has nothing to do with not being excited about the progress from the young players on this team. it has everything to do with guys like marian gaborik being a ****ing slouch on the ice. bring it or don't dress for the game. he's been awful this year. if chris drury wasn't on this team, gaborik would be the biggest disappointment this year. last year there was so much talk about holding players accountable irrelevant of the name on the back of their jersey. if that was the case this year, gabby would be sitting in the press box. everyone keeps saying he's going to get it together.. am i supposed to drink the kool-aid and wait until we play another doghouse team for gaborik to show up again? sure, let's just keep giving the guy a pass on every game that we need him to score in and deal with his lack luster efforts against any of the teams that actually matter.

the bottom line is, we struggle to beat this team with malkin and crosby in the lineup. with those 2 dbags out of the lineup, i thought for sure we'd have their number and come out hungry for the 2 points last night. not the case.

Old
02-02-2011, 08:49 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I thought Step did some really great things tonight. Subtle little intelligent plays.

Zucc had another good game too. That whole line actually.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:53 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
it has nothing to do with not being excited about the progress from the young players on this team. it has everything to do with guys like marian gaborik being a ****ing slouch on the ice. bring it or don't dress for the game. he's been awful this year. if chris drury wasn't on this team, gaborik would be the biggest disappointment this year. last year there was so much talk about holding players accountable irrelevant of the name on the back of their jersey. if that was the case this year, gabby would be sitting in the press box. everyone keeps saying he's going to get it together.. am i supposed to drink the kool-aid and wait until we play another doghouse team for gaborik to show up again? sure, let's just keep giving the guy a pass on every game that we need him to score in and deal with his lack luster efforts against any of the teams that actually matter.

the bottom line is, we struggle to beat this team with malkin and crosby in the lineup. with those 2 dbags out of the lineup, i thought for sure we'd have their number and come out hungry for the 2 points last night. not the case.
Benching Gaborik does not make this team better. Veto.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:55 AM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Benching Gaborik does not make this team better. Veto.
of course it doesn't make this team better but maybe it sends him a message.

Old
02-02-2011, 08:57 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

You could tell the Rangers were rusty in the first. A lot of new lines, a lot of new faces back. Seemed like it took them a period to shake off the rest. I kinda figured that.

They struggled for stretches in the second as well but i thought they had a much better period, and the third was kinda back to how they normally play.

Fluery made a ton of good saves, but still let in 3... Henrik had two he couldnt stop because of the deflections but the juicy rebound he left for Rupp was terrible. The shot may have fluttered a bit which lead to it being hard to control, but ive been noticing Lundqvist rebound control hasnt been as good as it normally is for some reason. Anyway, that ones on him. And why does RUPP kill the Rangers since hes put on a Pens uni? I ****ing hate that dude.

There were some good moments and they could have taken two points. I think they did enough, but had Crosby and Malkin been in the lineup i doubt it would have. Giving up a 2 goal lead was not cool. Penalties at inopportune times last night.

Anyhow. They got a point. Better than a regulation loss. I was hoping to see a better result at home. If they beat the Devils on Thursday, all is forgiven for me. I'll give them a small pass for last night. What i want to see is a little more home dominance.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:22 AM
JaeTM

Yeah last night was pretty bad, but what can you do? Look to get 2 pts from the Devils now.

Anyone know if they interviewed Marc Staal after the game and got his reaction on his brother punching Prust?

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:39 AM
EmpireStateofMind

Not that it's a surprise or anything,

via Darren Dreger:

Quote:
There will be no further action or league discipline for Jordan Staal.

Last edited by EmpireStateofMind: 02-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.
EmpireStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireStateofMind View Post
No that it's a surprise or anything,

via Darren Dreger:

Yep no surprise there, everyone seems to think prust took a dive.

Oh well, lets hope when something happens with our Staal he gets the same kind of treatment because of his name.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:40 AM
EmpireStateofMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Yep no surprise there, everyone seems to think prust took a dive.

Oh well, lets hope when something happens with our Staal he gets the same kind of treatment because of his name.
Aren't you supposed to suspend the player automatically after a match penalty? I thought that's how it works

EmpireStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireStateofMind View Post
Aren't you supposed to suspend the player automatically after a match penalty? I thought that's how it works
not if the offending player is a Pittsburgh Penguin. Read the small print, buddy

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:02 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Suspension for Staal, really? I don't even think that should have been 5 minutes. 2 for roughing, 2 for unsportsmanlike/intent to injure. And Prust definitely embellished it a bit. Not a total dive, but still blatant.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote