HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Toffoli Doesn't Make Kings In 2011 Then...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
  #26
AStammer7*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Junior Production Line(Harvey,Brown,Wren)'93-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
It was Bob Wren and Pat Peake who Brown played with most.

As well, we need to resign Williams before Toffoli can be his long-term replacement.
Kevin Brown may have played with Pat Peake in 1992-93 but played with Todd Harvey and Bob Wren to form the Junior Production Line after the famous trio from by-gone-era(Gordie Howe-Sid Abel-Ted Lindsay). Ya I know Kings have to sign Justin Williams. I was speculating that Williams would get a 3 year deal...somewhere around (11.5-12.5 M). Then Toffoli could slide on in...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
  #27
razzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BC interior
Country: Canada
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Exactly right

I wouldn't expect TT to see the NHL no matter the circumstances until after next season if not two more. His hands are ready but the rest of his game needs time. No reason to rush him.
Yep Tonelli, the years of rushing and ruining careers is thankfully over. Now once our fan base gets use to this these boards will be a much happier place for Kings fans. We gotta follow the Wings schedule...Erickson, Helm, Howard and so on...years in the minors for each and when they step up it is darn near seamless.

razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:24 PM
  #28
T2M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
Tyler Toffoli has played Centre and RWing. He'll make Kings as a RWinger I believe. As for getting burned by KBrown,JAulin,and YLehoux...well I don't think Brown was that good,his mates on the Junior Production Line(THarvey,BWren) really carried him. As for Lehoux he had it but then got hurt and never did regain it...isn't he playing in Russia or someplace...heard Aulin is making a come-back of sorts...Toffoli is going to be a good player for us. I see him as a replacement for JWilliams when his scoring starts to taper off...in 3 years time...
My mistake on the wing, not that I think RW would be any easier to crack. Since the OP was about Toffoli making the team next year I figured it would be at LW. There's no way he's making the third line as a 19 year old when Schenn can't do it and Brown and Simmonds are higher on the depth chart (Williams too if he resigns). You're right in that later post, he's a few years away and we're going to have to get used to that with all our prospects. That's what I meant about having to take a spot away at the NHL level. That's the kind of depth the team is starting to show.

T2M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:32 PM
  #29
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You all know the Kings prefer these kids to play at least one season in Manchester. I don't think we should look for any kid in juniors to make the team next season with the possible exception of Schenn.
Am I drunk or didn't Clifford do that THIS season?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:07 AM
  #30
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Am I drunk or didn't Clifford do that THIS season?
Of course you are quite right, but he and Doughty are anomolies and not the norm. Clifford got to stay because he is a man in a 19 year-old body.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
  #31
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Of course you are quite right, but he and Doughty are anomolies and not the norm. Clifford got to stay because he is a man in a 19 year-old body.
Yeah, this. If Clifford was counted as an offensive player, he'd still be in the OHL. he's here because he's a man beast who can play a really smart game but still crack some skulls like coconuts if need be.

Hate to see how strong he'll be at 25.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
  #32
AStammer7*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Clifford Reminds Me Of Maloney,Probert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Yeah, this. If Clifford was counted as an offensive player, he'd still be in the OHL. he's here because he's a man beast who can play a really smart game but still crack some skulls like coconuts if need be.

Hate to see how strong he'll be at 25.
When Kyle Clifford puts his whole game together he's going to be hard to handle. He's going to fight,he's going hit and he's going to score. This is something the Los Angeles Kings have lacked since the days Dan Maloney patroled the portside with Butch Goring. For you youngsters think Bob Probert with a scoring touch. Maloney didn't go looking for it,but when it found him he was a willing participant. Clifford is going to be that exact player for the Kings playing alongside BSchenn...hopefully the Kings add Oscar Moller to that RW because the kid has paid his dues and provides scoring ability and some grit,which this line would have in abundance...

PS I see Clifford scoring 25 goals and getting 100-150 PIMs per annum

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
  #33
Thrice
Coyote Killer
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
When Kyle Clifford puts his whole game together he's going to be hard to handle. He's going to fight,he's going hit and he's going to score. This is something the Los Angeles Kings have lacked since the days Dan Maloney patroled the portside with Butch Goring. For you youngsters think Bob Probert with a scoring touch. Maloney didn't go looking for it,but when it found him he was a willing participant. Clifford is going to be that exact player for the Kings playing alongside BSchenn...hopefully the Kings add Oscar Moller to that RW because the kid has paid his dues and provides scoring ability and some grit,which this line would have in abundance...

PS I see Clifford scoring 25 goals and getting 100-150 PIMs per annum
Clifford reminds me of a young Darren McCarty.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
  #34
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Of course you are quite right, but he and Doughty are anomolies and not the norm. Clifford got to stay because he is a man in a 19 year-old body.
Simmonds also went straight from juniors to the NHL.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:32 PM
  #35
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Simmonds also went straight from juniors to the NHL.
Yeah, which is basically another reason it probably won't happen for Toffoli. Spots have been filled. You have to remember the roles these guys are expected to play as well.

Simmonds was brought in to be an energy player and checker. Clifford brought in to bang and fight a little.

It's extremely unlikely that Toffoli will show up in camp this coming September with an NHL scoring touch.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:02 AM
  #36
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah, which is basically another reason it probably won't happen for Toffoli. Spots have been filled. You have to remember the roles these guys are expected to play as well.

Simmonds was brought in to be an energy player and checker. Clifford brought in to bang and fight a little.

It's extremely unlikely that Toffoli will show up in camp this coming September with an NHL scoring touch.
Even if he does he'll still be far from ready for top six duty in the NHL and would be a downgrade from any of the three guys spots he would take in Williams, Brown, and Simmonds...

Only way I see it happens is if Williams isn't resigned and the Kings are left with huge holes on both the Right and Left wings in the top six, and if that comes to pass don't expect this team to be anywhere near the playoffs at this time next year...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
  #37
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah, which is basically another reason it probably won't happen for Toffoli. Spots have been filled. You have to remember the roles these guys are expected to play as well.

Simmonds was brought in to be an energy player and checker. Clifford brought in to bang and fight a little.

It's extremely unlikely that Toffoli will show up in camp this coming September with an NHL scoring touch.
Indeed, but remember Moller also went straight from juniors to the NHL too.

DL and TM have shown a willingness to graduate players based almost purely on work ethic. Moller, Simmonds and Clifford all worked their ***** on off in camp, and got a shot at the NHL even though none of them were totally ready IMO.

If Toffoli comes into camp, hustles, shows grit, and puts in massive work ethic, I bet he'll get some games at the beginning of the season. From there, anything can happen.

So while it's unlikely he makes the Kings, it's not impossible.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
  #38
bral
Go Kings!
 
bral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Corona,CA
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah, which is basically another reason it probably won't happen for Toffoli. Spots have been filled. You have to remember the roles these guys are expected to play as well.

Simmonds was brought in to be an energy player and checker. Clifford brought in to bang and fight a little.

It's extremely unlikely that Toffoli will show up in camp this coming September with an NHL scoring touch.

It seems as though a strong scoring touch is the one thing Toffoli has going for him so he very well may get a long look next camp. If any part of our lineup is going to change next year it's our top six, especially if we miss the playoffs. Tell me anyone who could light the lamp on a somewhat regular basis wouldn't make our team right now, regardless of how he plays defensively.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
  #39
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
It seems as though a strong scoring touch is the one thing Toffoli has going for him so he very well may get a long look next camp. If any part of our lineup is going to change next year it's our top six, especially if we miss the playoffs. Tell me anyone who could light the lamp on a somewhat regular basis wouldn't make our team right now, regardless of how he plays defensively.
They will give Parse, Loktionov, and Moller another shot before Toffoli gets one IMO, but I could be wrong.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
  #40
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood
 
Mr Irreverent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
They will give Parse, Loktionov, and Moller another shot before Toffoli gets one IMO, but I could be wrong.
How long did we sign Parse for?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
  #41
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 21,371
vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
How long did we sign Parse for?
Parse is signed for 1 more year

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
  #42
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood
 
Mr Irreverent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Parse is signed for 1 more year
Thanks. Anybody think he regains the #1 LW spot?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
  #43
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 21,371
vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Thanks. Anybody think he regains the #1 LW spot?
I don't ever think he had the talent for it. I think it was more about letting kids in our system know that if they put in the time and the hard work that they will get their shot.



I don't know what happens to Parse at this point. You would have to imagine his trade value is very low and that he would fetch a conditional pick at best.

Do you leave him in the system and hope he is healthy next year?

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
  #44
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I don't ever think he had the talent for it. I think it was more about letting kids in our system know that if they put in the time and the hard work that they will get their shot.



I don't know what happens to Parse at this point. You would have to imagine his trade value is very low and that he would fetch a conditional pick at best.

Do you leave him in the system and hope he is healthy next year?
When he comes back, you play him and hope he either plays into a scoring role, or play up his trade value. Trading him at this point would net minimal return and could prove to be a significant waste of an asset if he develops into the scorer he could be.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
  #45
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I don't ever think he had the talent for it. I think it was more about letting kids in our system know that if they put in the time and the hard work that they will get their shot.



I don't know what happens to Parse at this point. You would have to imagine his trade value is very low and that he would fetch a conditional pick at best.

Do you leave him in the system and hope he is healthy next year?
Of course. Let him compete for a spot. Like you said, he has no trade value, so there's no point in moving him.

I see his upside as a solid 2nd/3rd liner, capable of 20 goals. People forget how effective he was on the 3rd line with Handzus and Simmonds. Unfortunately, his career path will probably go the way of Moulson.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
  #46
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
They will give Parse, Loktionov, and Moller another shot before Toffoli gets one IMO, but I could be wrong.
This. And Schenn as well. There are plenty of other offensive prospects ahead of Toffoli who, as much as I like him, hasn't proven anything in a professional game yet. Unless he stands on his head in camp, he won't even see the pre-season. This will be even more likely if Williams isn't resigned or we don't land a UFA replacement, because someone is going to have to fill that spot, and the more obvious choices are guys like Moller, Parse, etc.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
  #47
Flour Child
Unleavened User
 
Flour Child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Drury Lane
Posts: 21,371
vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
When he comes back, you play him and hope he either plays into a scoring role, or play up his trade value. Trading him at this point would net minimal return and could prove to be a significant waste of an asset if he develops into the scorer he could be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Of course. Let him compete for a spot. Like you said, he has no trade value, so there's no point in moving him.

I see his upside as a solid 2nd/3rd liner, capable of 20 goals. People forget how effective he was on the 3rd line with Handzus and Simmonds. Unfortunately, his career path will probably go the way of Moulson.
So who don't you play?

Do you send Lotki back down and promote Smyth?

What about when Sturm is healthy again?

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
  #48
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
So who don't you play?

Do you send Lotki back down and promote Smyth?

What about when Sturm is healthy again?
Who knows. Parse isn't even back yet, and by the time he is back, maybe someone else is injured, maybe Loktionov has gone into the tank and is on his way back to Manchester, maybe we've done a trade. Lots can change.

Btw, when is Parse back? Is it the middle of this month still?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:15 PM
  #49
AStammer7*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Simmonds Better Suited For 4th Line Duties

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
My mistake on the wing, not that I think RW would be any easier to crack. Since the OP was about Toffoli making the team next year I figured it would be at LW. There's no way he's making the third line as a 19 year old when Schenn can't do it and Brown and Simmonds are higher on the depth chart (Williams too if he resigns). You're right in that later post, he's a few years away and we're going to have to get used to that with all our prospects. That's what I meant about having to take a spot away at the NHL level. That's the kind of depth the team is starting to show.
Wayne Simmonds is a pretty good hockey player. He played well with AFrolov and MHandzus feeding him. This year with an array of centres and wingmen,Simmonds hasn't been as productive. His game is still pretty good when he hits,fights & scores. This year has seen a drop0off in the scoring department. Granted he has been injured at times which has had an effect. Ideally I like to see the Kings roll thrd scoring lines and a 4th energy,speed,grunt line. If I was TMurray I'd put him together with TLewis to form 2/3 of a great fourth line. Their duties would be to check, hit, energize and score the odd goal...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:18 PM
  #50
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
So who don't you play?

Do you send Lotki back down and promote Smyth?

What about when Sturm is healthy again?
You play who ever is playing the best. As for Smyth, he's been our most consistent goal scorer. I'd like to see the Smyth-Kopitar-Williams line reunited.

Let Loktionov/Parse/Poni/Sturm battle it out for the 2nd line LW spot.

Quote:
Btw, when is Parse back? Is it the middle of this month still?
Early March according to Hammond.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.