HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Toffoli Doesn't Make Kings In 2011 Then...

Old
01-30-2011, 06:44 PM
AStammer7*

vCash: 500
Junior Production Line(Harvey,Brown,Wren)'93-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
It was Bob Wren and Pat Peake who Brown played with most.

As well, we need to resign Williams before Toffoli can be his long-term replacement.
Kevin Brown may have played with Pat Peake in 1992-93 but played with Todd Harvey and Bob Wren to form the Junior Production Line after the famous trio from by-gone-era(Gordie Howe-Sid Abel-Ted Lindsay). Ya I know Kings have to sign Justin Williams. I was speculating that Williams would get a 3 year deal...somewhere around (11.5-12.5 M). Then Toffoli could slide on in...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
razzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Exactly right

I wouldn't expect TT to see the NHL no matter the circumstances until after next season if not two more. His hands are ready but the rest of his game needs time. No reason to rush him.
Yep Tonelli, the years of rushing and ruining careers is thankfully over. Now once our fan base gets use to this these boards will be a much happier place for Kings fans. We gotta follow the Wings schedule...Erickson, Helm, Howard and so on...years in the minors for each and when they step up it is darn near seamless.

razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 10:24 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
Tyler Toffoli has played Centre and RWing. He'll make Kings as a RWinger I believe. As for getting burned by KBrown,JAulin,and YLehoux...well I don't think Brown was that good,his mates on the Junior Production Line(THarvey,BWren) really carried him. As for Lehoux he had it but then got hurt and never did regain it...isn't he playing in Russia or someplace...heard Aulin is making a come-back of sorts...Toffoli is going to be a good player for us. I see him as a replacement for JWilliams when his scoring starts to taper off...in 3 years time...
My mistake on the wing, not that I think RW would be any easier to crack. Since the OP was about Toffoli making the team next year I figured it would be at LW. There's no way he's making the third line as a 19 year old when Schenn can't do it and Brown and Simmonds are higher on the depth chart (Williams too if he resigns). You're right in that later post, he's a few years away and we're going to have to get used to that with all our prospects. That's what I meant about having to take a spot away at the NHL level. That's the kind of depth the team is starting to show.

T2M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You all know the Kings prefer these kids to play at least one season in Manchester. I don't think we should look for any kid in juniors to make the team next season with the possible exception of Schenn.
Am I drunk or didn't Clifford do that THIS season?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 02:07 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Am I drunk or didn't Clifford do that THIS season?
Of course you are quite right, but he and Doughty are anomolies and not the norm. Clifford got to stay because he is a man in a 19 year-old body.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Of course you are quite right, but he and Doughty are anomolies and not the norm. Clifford got to stay because he is a man in a 19 year-old body.
Yeah, this. If Clifford was counted as an offensive player, he'd still be in the OHL. he's here because he's a man beast who can play a really smart game but still crack some skulls like coconuts if need be.

Hate to see how strong he'll be at 25.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
AStammer7*

Clifford Reminds Me Of Maloney,Probert...

Quote:
Yeah, this. If Clifford was counted as an offensive player, he'd still be in the OHL. he's here because he's a man beast who can play a really smart game but still crack some skulls like coconuts if need be.

Hate to see how strong he'll be at 25.
When Kyle Clifford puts his whole game together he's going to be hard to handle. He's going to fight,he's going hit and he's going to score. This is something the Los Angeles Kings have lacked since the days Dan Maloney patroled the portside with Butch Goring. For you youngsters think Bob Probert with a scoring touch. Maloney didn't go looking for it,but when it found him he was a willing participant. Clifford is going to be that exact player for the Kings playing alongside BSchenn...hopefully the Kings add Oscar Moller to that RW because the kid has paid his dues and provides scoring ability and some grit,which this line would have in abundance...

PS I see Clifford scoring 25 goals and getting 100-150 PIMs per annum

Old
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
When Kyle Clifford puts his whole game together he's going to be hard to handle. He's going to fight,he's going hit and he's going to score. This is something the Los Angeles Kings have lacked since the days Dan Maloney patroled the portside with Butch Goring. For you youngsters think Bob Probert with a scoring touch. Maloney didn't go looking for it,but when it found him he was a willing participant. Clifford is going to be that exact player for the Kings playing alongside BSchenn...hopefully the Kings add Oscar Moller to that RW because the kid has paid his dues and provides scoring ability and some grit,which this line would have in abundance...

PS I see Clifford scoring 25 goals and getting 100-150 PIMs per annum
Clifford reminds me of a young Darren McCarty.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 06:52 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Simmonds also went straight from juniors to the NHL.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:32 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Simmonds also went straight from juniors to the NHL.
Yeah, which is basically another reason it probably won't happen for Toffoli. Spots have been filled. You have to remember the roles these guys are expected to play as well.

Simmonds was brought in to be an energy player and checker. Clifford brought in to bang and fight a little.

It's extremely unlikely that Toffoli will show up in camp this coming September with an NHL scoring touch.

Old
02-02-2011, 08:02 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Yeah, which is basically another reason it probably won't happen for Toffoli. Spots have been filled. You have to remember the roles these guys are expected to play as well.

Simmonds was brought in to be an energy player and checker. Clifford brought in to bang and fight a little.

It's extremely unlikely that Toffoli will show up in camp this coming September with an NHL scoring touch.
Even if he does he'll still be far from ready for top six duty in the NHL and would be a downgrade from any of the three guys spots he would take in Williams, Brown, and Simmonds...

Only way I see it happens is if Williams isn't resigned and the Kings are left with huge holes on both the Right and Left wings in the top six, and if that comes to pass don't expect this team to be anywhere near the playoffs at this time next year...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
johnjm22

Quote:

Indeed, but remember Moller also went straight from juniors to the NHL too.

DL and TM have shown a willingness to graduate players based almost purely on work ethic. Moller, Simmonds and Clifford all worked their ***** on off in camp, and got a shot at the NHL even though none of them were totally ready IMO.

If Toffoli comes into camp, hustles, shows grit, and puts in massive work ethic, I bet he'll get some games at the beginning of the season. From there, anything can happen.

So while it's unlikely he makes the Kings, it's not impossible.

Old
02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:

It seems as though a strong scoring touch is the one thing Toffoli has going for him so he very well may get a long look next camp. If any part of our lineup is going to change next year it's our top six, especially if we miss the playoffs. Tell me anyone who could light the lamp on a somewhat regular basis wouldn't make our team right now, regardless of how he plays defensively.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
It seems as though a strong scoring touch is the one thing Toffoli has going for him so he very well may get a long look next camp. If any part of our lineup is going to change next year it's our top six, especially if we miss the playoffs. Tell me anyone who could light the lamp on a somewhat regular basis wouldn't make our team right now, regardless of how he plays defensively.
They will give Parse, Loktionov, and Moller another shot before Toffoli gets one IMO, but I could be wrong.

Old
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Quote:
They will give Parse, Loktionov, and Moller another shot before Toffoli gets one IMO, but I could be wrong.
How long did we sign Parse for?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
How long did we sign Parse for?
Parse is signed for 1 more year

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Parse is signed for 1 more year
Thanks. Anybody think he regains the #1 LW spot?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Thanks. Anybody think he regains the #1 LW spot?
I don't ever think he had the talent for it. I think it was more about letting kids in our system know that if they put in the time and the hard work that they will get their shot.

I don't know what happens to Parse at this point. You would have to imagine his trade value is very low and that he would fetch a conditional pick at best.

Do you leave him in the system and hope he is healthy next year?

Old
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I don't ever think he had the talent for it. I think it was more about letting kids in our system know that if they put in the time and the hard work that they will get their shot.

I don't know what happens to Parse at this point. You would have to imagine his trade value is very low and that he would fetch a conditional pick at best.

When he comes back, you play him and hope he either plays into a scoring role, or play up his trade value. Trading him at this point would net minimal return and could prove to be a significant waste of an asset if he develops into the scorer he could be.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
johnjm22

Quote:

Of course. Let him compete for a spot. Like you said, he has no trade value, so there's no point in moving him.

I see his upside as a solid 2nd/3rd liner, capable of 20 goals. People forget how effective he was on the 3rd line with Handzus and Simmonds. Unfortunately, his career path will probably go the way of Moulson.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
This. And Schenn as well. There are plenty of other offensive prospects ahead of Toffoli who, as much as I like him, hasn't proven anything in a professional game yet. Unless he stands on his head in camp, he won't even see the pre-season. This will be even more likely if Williams isn't resigned or we don't land a UFA replacement, because someone is going to have to fill that spot, and the more obvious choices are guys like Moller, Parse, etc.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
When he comes back, you play him and hope he either plays into a scoring role, or play up his trade value. Trading him at this point would net minimal return and could prove to be a significant waste of an asset if he develops into the scorer he could be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Of course. Let him compete for a spot. Like you said, he has no trade value, so there's no point in moving him.

I see his upside as a solid 2nd/3rd liner, capable of 20 goals. People forget how effective he was on the 3rd line with Handzus and Simmonds. Unfortunately, his career path will probably go the way of Moulson.
So who don't you play?

Do you send Lotki back down and promote Smyth?

What about when Sturm is healthy again?

Old
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
So who don't you play?

Who knows. Parse isn't even back yet, and by the time he is back, maybe someone else is injured, maybe Loktionov has gone into the tank and is on his way back to Manchester, maybe we've done a trade. Lots can change.

Btw, when is Parse back? Is it the middle of this month still?

Old
02-02-2011, 01:15 PM
AStammer7*

Simmonds Better Suited For 4th Line Duties

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
My mistake on the wing, not that I think RW would be any easier to crack. Since the OP was about Toffoli making the team next year I figured it would be at LW. There's no way he's making the third line as a 19 year old when Schenn can't do it and Brown and Simmonds are higher on the depth chart (Williams too if he resigns). You're right in that later post, he's a few years away and we're going to have to get used to that with all our prospects. That's what I meant about having to take a spot away at the NHL level. That's the kind of depth the team is starting to show.
Wayne Simmonds is a pretty good hockey player. He played well with AFrolov and MHandzus feeding him. This year with an array of centres and wingmen,Simmonds hasn't been as productive. His game is still pretty good when he hits,fights & scores. This year has seen a drop0off in the scoring department. Granted he has been injured at times which has had an effect. Ideally I like to see the Kings roll thrd scoring lines and a 4th energy,speed,grunt line. If I was TMurray I'd put him together with TLewis to form 2/3 of a great fourth line. Their duties would be to check, hit, energize and score the odd goal...

Old
02-02-2011, 01:18 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
So who don't you play?

You play who ever is playing the best. As for Smyth, he's been our most consistent goal scorer. I'd like to see the Smyth-Kopitar-Williams line reunited.

Let Loktionov/Parse/Poni/Sturm battle it out for the 2nd line LW spot.

Quote:
Btw, when is Parse back? Is it the middle of this month still?
Early March according to Hammond.