HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need for a Heavyweight?

Old
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Jackson Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The actual scoring chances generated by each team was absolutely dominated by the Rangers so much that it was ridiculous. That's what I mean by they dominated the game. The Pens got very few good scoring chances...they just capitalized on some good fortune and generating some traffic.
I don't know Lev, I would say the first two periods were relatively equal with the third leaning heavily towards the Rangers in regards to scoring chances.

My opinion is Pittsburgh came out in the second more aggressive and were able to get some scoring opportunities that resulted in goals for them. Did they get that from being more aggressive, from being pumped about the Prust fight or if the Rangers played poorly defensively? I think it was a combination of all three.

One of the previous posters mentioned no push back by the Rangers last night. I agree besides Prust and Boyle (maybe Dubi) there wasn't much.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:45 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Although I love having a HW dressed everynight I would be willing to settle for him only playing against certain teams..Pens,Flyers,Devs to name a few..Gratts could be had for very cheap and would fill the roll beautifully for about 10 games the rest of the year..I would take Neil in a heartbeat too..I dont know about you guys but I was holding my breath when Prust fought DE last night..One clean shot and Prust is done for the year..He has no business fighting him..Some of you video nerds need to get over stats and do whats best for the Team.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Although I love having a HW dressed everynight I would be willing to settle for him only playing against certain teams..Pens,Flyers,Devs to name a few..Gratts could be had for very cheap and would fill the roll beautifully for about 10 games the rest of the year..I would take Neil in a heartbeat too..I dont know about you guys but I was holding my breath when Prust fought DE last night..One clean shot and Prust is done for the year..He has no business fighting him..Some of you video nerds need to get over stats and do whats best for the Team.
I agree totally, and I love Prust. The guy is a very good fighter, but I still dont want him acting as this teams main "enforcer." He destroys guys his size, but damn, either Boogy has to get healthy or we need someone to help Prust out.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 665
Quote:
Are we gonna address the need for a Heavy for the rest of they year or just go with what we have? If Boogaard is out for the year/career we really need to address this.I would love to pick up McGratts on the cheap.If the Pens wanna get nasty with us we really need a bigger body.The Flyers will be looking for blood next game because of Avery..Prust can not handle going toe to toe with the other teams Enforcers.
We do NOT need a heavyweight at all. This team can roll four effective lines. Why kill one line with a Boogard/Orr type player.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
NYRangers77

Quote:
Some of you video nerds need to get over stats and do whats best for the Team.
What do you mean by that?

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
That is what is going to happen and then we lose a very important player!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
We do NOT need a heavyweight at all. This team can roll four effective lines. Why kill one line with a Boogard/Orr type player.
Stop with the rolling of four lines. The 4th line averages at most about 7 minutes a game. Id rather have a mean SOB enforcer as one of those players than someone who does what exactly? Skillfully carries the puck up ice? Yippee. We have 3 other lines and you could put 2 other players on the fourth line to do that. When you show me a 4th liner who will net 15 goals a year, to help supplement our other scorers ill change my mind. Otheriwse? Give me the 4th line RW who beats the **** out of other people, protects our stars, and crashes and bangs during his 6 minutes of ice time.

Old
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
NikC

bring in Neil and Carkner. that would do just fine for me.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 View Post
Stop with the rolling of four lines. The 4th line averages at most about 7 minutes a game. Id rather have a mean SOB enforcer as one of those players than someone who does what exactly? Skillfully carries the puck up ice? Yippee. We have 3 other lines and you could put 2 other players on the fourth line to do that. When you show me a 4th liner who will net 15 goals a year, to help supplement our other scorers ill change my mind. Otheriwse? Give me the 4th line RW who beats the **** out of other people, protects our stars, and crashes and bangs during his 6 minutes of ice time.
Amen!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Agree with Hockeybased.

We're finally getting enough guys to have good forward depth on this team, something we need because of our lack of top end forwards, and we're advocating giving a spot to a heavyweight?

As it is, two solid NHL forwards are going to be sitting on a nightly basis.

02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Agree with Hockeybased.

We're finally getting enough guys to have good forward depth on this team, something we need because of our lack of top end forwards, and we're advocating giving a spot to a heavyweight?

As it is, two solid NHL forwards are going to be sitting on a nightly basis.
Fitzy
I am not in favor of a guy like Orr coming in at all. But i want to ask if we traded for Neil and Drury sat would you be agaisnt that?

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I hate Neil, but I'm sure i'd love his game as a NY Ranger.

He'd be a good 4th liner.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Boyle? Prust? Feds? Avery? Between those four, they're all guys that can score 10-15. Not exactly danglers.

Dubi-Cally-Gaborik-Stepan-Anisimov-Wolski-Zuccarello-Prospal-Drury/Christensen as the other 9.

The real question is who you remove to play an enforcer. We already have a logjam. I'd say that Dubi-Cally-Gaborik-Stepan-Anisimov-Wolski-Zuccarello-Boyle-Prust-Feds should be locks to be on the team. That leaves two out of Avery-Prospal-Drury-Christensen. You have to drop three to carry an enforcer. Unless you want to carry 13 forwards but I think this team needs a 7th defenseman considering how young we are in the D.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:56 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
we don't need a heavyweight. It's a waste of cap space.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Given that Boogard's possibly career ending injury ranks up there with the Gomez trade on the "wow, we really luck out eh?" meter, I'm going to go ahead and say that this team will be just fine without a heavy.
Huh REALLY!? Your meter is broken big time. I know some people despised this signing but geez it's not even close to being as bad as Gomer, drury, redden. Not even CLOSE. For one we can actually freakin get out from under it whenever we want by cutting or sending him down and it's only a mil (little over). By saying what you said it compares the contracts and they are simply not comparable.

I liked the direction we took and since the team gained a huge amount of team toughness I can't argue for or against the move. It'd be nice if Boyle learned to use his body to fight but I certainly wouldn't complain about him he's learned to be physical in better ways.

Having a good HW couldn't hurt especially since even the "best" of em are cheap. But it'
s certainly not even an issue with this team. PP is crippling us. Has to have cost 3-5 wins so far this season. We are finally getting skilled players too in MZA, Wolski, Gabs, Dubs, Cally. Just think something is missing from the blueline as far as PP ability. Also a small mix of it being in the players heads.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
we don't need a heavyweight. It's a waste of cap space.
Agree 1000000%.

We already have the best enforcer in the league in Prust. He may not be the toughest fighter, but no fighter in the World plays real hockey as well as Brandon Prust. Not even close. You're not getting defense, 20-30 points, decent skating, and leadership out of any other enforcer. And Prust may not be that big, but he can handle our problems. Engelland didn't walk away form that scrap last night without taking a few nice shots. So being that we already have pretty much the epitome of enforcers as far as being a real player, I think another one would be a waste of money and a roster spot.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
Boyle? Prust? Feds? Avery? Between those four, they're all guys that can score 10-15. Not exactly danglers.

Dubi-Cally-Gaborik-Stepan-Anisimov-Wolski-Zuccarello-Prospal-Drury/Christensen as the other 9.

The real question is who you remove to play an enforcer. We already have a logjam. I'd say that Dubi-Cally-Gaborik-Stepan-Anisimov-Wolski-Zuccarello-Boyle-Prust-Feds should be locks to be on the team. That leaves two out of Avery-Prospal-Drury-Christensen. You have to drop three to carry an enforcer. Unless you want to carry 13 forwards but I think this team needs a 7th defenseman considering how young we are in the D.
THose you highlighted dont get fourth line minutes. And if they did, NO way any of them evens sniffs 15 goals. The point being, a 4th liner (ANY 4th liner) wouldnt sniff 15 goals getting 7 minutes anight. Therefore, since someone getting 7 minutes a night will most likely only get 5-7 goals at most, ill sacrifice 3 goals a SEASON for a 4th line enforcer. A REAL one.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Agree 1000000%.

We already have the best enforcer in the league in Prust. He may not be the toughest fighter, but no fighter in the World plays real hockey as well as Brandon Prust. Not even close. You're not getting defense, 20-30 points, decent skating, and leadership out of any other enforcer. And Prust may not be that big, but he can handle our problems. Engelland didn't walk away form that scrap last night without taking a few nice shots. So being that we already have pretty much the epitome of enforcers as far as being a real player, I think another one would be a waste of money and a roster spot.
Wow its amazing how off base this is.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Wow its amazing how off base this is.
How is it off base? Why waste money on some big moron who belongs in the beer leagues when we already have a guy who can fight AND play real hockey? I hate guys who do absolutely nothing but fight. The only kind of tough guy I want on this team is a guy like Prust who actually plays the game.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
How is it off base? Why waste money on some big moron who belongs in the beer leagues when we already have a guy who can fight AND play real hockey? I hate guys who do absolutely nothing but fight. The only kind of tough guy I want on this team is a guy like Prust who actually plays the game.
Because Prust is a 3rd line player who is one of our key penalty killers and needs help. You keep asking Prust to fight Englenad, Godard, Rupp, Shelley, Carkner, Carcillo, AND fight other middlweights such as Neil or King or hell even players like Andrew Ladd or David Clarkson? Guess whats gonna happen to Prust? He'll be on IR.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Because Prust is a 3rd line player who is one of our key penalty killers and needs help. You keep asking Prust to fight Englenad, Godard, Rupp, Shelley, Carkner, Carcillo, AND fight other middlweights such as Neil or King or hell even players like Andrew Ladd or David Clarkson? Guess whats gonna happen to Prust? He'll be on IR.
Then if need be we can find another player who also fights and really plays. Someone like a Prust, or a Tootoo, or a Simmonds. I want a hockey player. I'm not flushing 2 million down the toilet to bring in another Boogaard. He's useless, and all players like him are useless.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Diehardfan419

And its also the same thing when Graves was here. Graves would fight anyone and on a few occassions took on some real heavyweights to defend his teammates (He fought Tony Twist when Twist was in his prime.) But guess what? You needed a guy like Kocur and later Langdon on the team to help Graves out so Graves could be out on the ice more and not have to be the ONLY deterent on the team.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Then if need be we can find another player who also fights and really plays. Someone like a Prust, or a Tootoo, or a Simmonds. I want a hockey player. I'm not flushing 2 million down the toilet to bring in another Boogaard. He's useless, and all players like him are useless.
Again, those type guys you mentioed we already have. Im talking about the ICE SLOT that gets 6 minutes a night. Its called a role on a team. Cause a player who deserves more than 6 minutes of ice time wont fit that role. Thats why I said what I said before bout the misguided post.

Nevermind, its obvious you just dnt understand the point. Its called team construction.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Again, those type guys you mentioed we already have. Im talking about the ICE SLOT that gets 6 minutes a night. Its called a role on a team. Cause a player who deserves more than 6 minutes of ice time wont fit that role. Thats why I said what I said before bout the misguided post.

Nevermind, its obvious you just dnt understand the point. Its called team construction.
Perhaps they're necessary, but I just hate players like that. I honestly feel like I'm better than half of them.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Prust didn't have to fight Engelland. He chose to, but he could have easily skated away. Other teams can have all the no talent goons they want, but if our players don't fight them, they can't do a damn thing about it.

Some of you guys just don't get that the league has changed. Enforcers are not needed as they once were. Get over it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote