HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Need for a Heavyweight?

Old
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Diehardfan419

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Perhaps they're necessary, but I just hate players like that. I honestly feel like I'm better than half of them.
Whoa hold on there. Youre talking about a Pro Athlete. Ever skated on the ice with Boogard? Or Mgratton? Ill bet my house that they would embarass you with their skills. Your comparing them to world class players while the game is on. You go out there and play one on one with Boogard. Ill bet you he makes you look silly.

Diehardfan419 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

The only thing is I don't think bringing in a convicted felon like a Boogaard or a Langdon is going to deter Prust anyway. Even when Boogaard was healthy, Prust was in a fight every other night. He loves to fight. He may be a valuable player, but let's face it he has well over 100 PIM. That puts him right up there with animals like Boll and Neil. He's gonna fight whether we have a big monkey on the team or not.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 View Post
Whoa hold on there. Youre talking about a Pro Athlete. Ever skated on the ice with Boogard? Or Mgratton? Ill bet my house that they would embarass you with their skills. Your comparing them to world class players while the game is on. You go out there and play one on one with Boogard. Ill bet you he makes you look silly.
I know a few average joe's that could easily out-skate Boogaard and out-stickhandle Boogaard any day of the week. Boogaard is not a professional hockey player, he's a professional fighter. Embarrass you with their skills? What skills do you speak of?

Old
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Huh REALLY!? Your meter is broken big time. I know some people despised this signing but geez it's not even close to being as bad as Gomer, drury, redden. Not even CLOSE. For one we can actually freakin get out from under it whenever we want by cutting or sending him down and it's only a mil (little over). By saying what you said it compares the contracts and they are simply not comparable.
The point is that Boogard looked pretty bad out there in the games he did play and that he was signed to a bad contract. I'm not comparing the contracts as obviously Gomez' is much worse, but again it's looking like Sather might be getting away from yet another bad signing scott-free. Also, Sather does seem to be learning from his mistakes slowly but surely, so if he does manage to cut the Boogard anchor it would be nice if he shied away from tying another on right away.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
I know a few average joe's that could easily out-skate Boogaard and out-stickhandle Boogaard any day of the week. Boogaard is not a professional hockey player, he's a professional fighter. Embarrass you with their skills? What skills do you speak of?
Again, amazing. I really doubt it. Compared toplayers in the NHL, sure his skills areent good. Compared to your "average joes"? Doesnt even deserve comment.

Diehardfan419 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Again, amazing. I really doubt it. Compared toplayers in the NHL, sure his skills areent good. Compared to your "average joes"? Doesnt even deserve comment.
I'd disagree. I think there's 15 year olds in the OHL that could play circles around Boogaard. If he couldn't fight, he wouldn't even be in the AHL. He'd be working a 9 to 5 job like the rest of us, and maybe play in a beer league on the weekends.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Prust didn't have to fight Engelland. He chose to, but he could have easily skated away. Other teams can have all the no talent goons they want, but if our players don't fight them, they can't do a damn thing about it.

Some of you guys just don't get that the league has changed. Enforcers are not needed as they once were. Get over it.
You better call up Ray Shero and Dan Bylsma and tell them to get rid of Godard, Rupp and Engelland

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

No interest in-fielding an enforcer if it means dwarfing the playing time of his linemates, and that's exactly what happens with Boogaard.... Rather have more depth offensively....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
XLJ

Sather did try to sign Neil. **** Chris Neil why would you guys want to trade for a player that didn't want to be a ranger. We have too many forwards already I don’t see us adding another forward.

If we could add a tough defensemen that plays real physical that would be a better addition instead of a heavy like McGrattan who will see very limited minutes. Those types of players for the most part are non factors when the team they are facing doesn't have a heavy. Did anyone notice Godard on the ice last night?

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:50 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
The point is that Boogard looked pretty bad out there in the games he did play and that he was signed to a bad contract. I'm not comparing the contracts as obviously Gomez' is much worse, but again it's looking like Sather might be getting away from yet another bad signing scott-free. Also, Sather does seem to be learning from his mistakes slowly but surely, so if he does manage to cut the Boogard anchor it would be nice if he shied away from tying another on right away.
I get your point but like said when you phrase it that way with the "whew" meter while I get what your saying it's like insinuating the contract is such a huge issue when it def isn't. That level of the whew meter is reserved for horrific signings from which there seems almost no escape...the kind that suck a team into the very pits of cap hell for such an insanely lengthy time periold that one wonders if there's a God to allow a GM to make such a boneheaded signing. Y'know like the splash signings Sather makes every time there's cap space lol. Boog's one redeeming factor is he doesn't do that to the team and can be removed easily. Plus he genuinely made an attempt to work his butt off to play for us rather than just be an enforcer. I feel he could still be of some limited use for us but either way comes or goes idc that much. Hope his head gets better for his own sake.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:09 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What the Rangers need is Chris Neil. Another player like Prust who can drop the gloves and be a deterrent while also adding a physical presence and a strong forecheck.
They need Sean Avery to be that guy.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Stepan2Dubi

We need to put pucks in the net. We need our PP to score more then 1 goal every 30 pp chances. 4 line needs to be a heavy weight line. NOT DRURY or FEDs Or AVERY or PRUSt. Something like a Newbury ? Boogy line. A line that for the whole 5 minutes they play a night goes out with a nasty edge. Three that will fight hit check and get dirty. Bench drury E.c anf FEDS. what happened with Prust getting sucker punched was a joke. We got a 5 minute power play that for the first 3:45 couldn't get anything done. I rather of seen someone go after Staal or Cooke. It just felt like the same thing last year with Cirello.

Stepan2Dubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:23 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
The 4th line needs to be the complete opposite of a heavyweight line. If the line is Boogard-Newbury-Prust or something similar to that, it sees 2 shifts a game and is completely useless (and awful)

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Stepan2Dubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
They need Sean Avery to be that guy.
He can't be that guy. If Avery farts on the ice. He will get a Misconduct.

Old
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Stepan2Dubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
The 4th line needs to be the complete opposite of a heavyweight line. If the line is Boogard-Newbury-Prust or something similar to that, it sees 2 shifts a game and is completely useless (and awful)
So you rather a 4th line that gets 7 minutes a game and score a total of 12 goals a year. then cry cause our core guys loose 5 minutes or more a game cause they have to fight.

Old
02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Milan Lucic>>>>>>>Prust

Quote:
Agree 1000000%.

We already have the best enforcer in the league in Prust. He may not be the toughest fighter, but no fighter in the World plays real hockey as well as Brandon Prust. Not even close. You're not getting defense, 20-30 points, decent skating, and leadership out of any other enforcer. And Prust may not be that big, but he can handle our problems. Engelland didn't walk away form that scrap last night without taking a few nice shots. So being that we already have pretty much the epitome of enforcers as far as being a real player, I think another one would be a waste of money and a roster spot.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Milan Lucic>>>>>>>Prust
Ryan Clowe

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Milan Lucic>>>>>>>Prust
Lucic has 3 fights on the season. Prust has 13.

02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Lucic would destroy Prust..Also has 20 goals..The poster said nobody is close to enforcing duties as Prust..I love Prust but he throws pillows..He never hurts anyone nor does he scare anyone..He's a good tactical fighter..

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Lucic might...and he is much more valuable than Prust... but I'd wonder if Lucic could score as much while filling a role as an enforcer and fighting as much as Prust.

I suppose we could hope McIlrath will eventually be our guy who is a great fighter and lawmaker, but also is a great asset to us on the ice. Guys like that are hard to come by nowadays.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Lucic would destroy Prust..Also has 20 goals..The poster said nobody is close to enforcing duties as Prust..I love Prust but he throws pillows..He never hurts anyone nor does he scare anyone..He's a good tactical fighter..
Lucic and Prust already fought this year and he did not destroy Prust.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Badko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Prust didn't have to fight Engelland. He chose to, but he could have easily skated away. Other teams can have all the no talent goons they want, but if our players don't fight them, they can't do a damn thing about it.

Some of you guys just don't get that the league has changed. Enforcers are not needed as they once were. Get over it.
Maybe on your fantasy team they can choose not to fight. Maybe some of us don't get that the league has changed. Maybe you don't understand what makes Brandon Prust Brandon Prust.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Badko

Quote:
The only thing is I don't think bringing in a convicted felon like a Boogaard or a Langdon is going to deter Prust anyway. Even when Boogaard was healthy, Prust was in a fight every other night. He loves to fight. He may be a valuable player, but let's face it he has well over 100 PIM. That puts him right up there with animals like Boll and Neil. He's gonna fight whether we have a big monkey on the team or not.
True, but then he won't have to fight the other team's big monkeys (or at least not as often).

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Stop with the rolling of four lines. The 4th line averages at most about 7 minutes a game. Id rather have a mean SOB enforcer as one of those players than someone who does what exactly? Skillfully carries the puck up ice? Yippee. We have 3 other lines and you could put 2 other players on the fourth line to do that. When you show me a 4th liner who will net 15 goals a year, to help supplement our other scorers ill change my mind. Otheriwse? Give me the 4th line RW who beats the **** out of other people, protects our stars, and crashes and bangs during his 6 minutes of ice time.
So a guy like Boogaard or Orr and they get circles skated around them? As much as I love seeing a good heavyweight fight in the NHL its slowly but surely a dying breed of players. The need for a pure heavyweight is gone.

Adding a guy like that will do nothing for this team.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:32 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badko View Post
Maybe on your fantasy team they can choose not to fight. Maybe some of us don't get that the league has changed. Maybe you don't understand what makes Brandon Prust Brandon Prust.
What Brandon Prust is, and what he should be, is whatever is best for the team. If that means not fighting against the big guys, then that's what he should do.

The point of the NHL is to win the Stanley Cup. Fighting doesn't help teams do that. Want proof? Look up the ice time of any goon in the regular season and see how his ice time drops in the playoffs. If fighting were so important, wouldn't enforcers get more time in more important games?

And I'm sorry, but the league has changed. The instigator and third man in rules turned fighting into a side show where 2 bears dance around each other for 2 minutes. It has zero impact on the game.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote