HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #53 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #53 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
Artem Anisimov 9 9.78%
Brian Boyle 1 1.09%
Ryan Callahan 13 14.13%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 2.17%
Henrik Lundqvist 6 6.52%
Brandon Prust 47 51.09%
Michael Sauer 1 1.09%
Derek Stepan 2 2.17%
Wojtek Wolski 5 5.43%
Mats Zuccarello 3 3.26%
Other 3 3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireStateofMind View Post
Aren't you supposed to suspend the player automatically after a match penalty? I thought that's how it works
He gets an automatic game since it was a match penalty but Dreger's saying there won't be any further action after that.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
EmpireStateofMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
He gets an automatic game since it was a match penalty but Dreger's saying there won't be any further action after that.
Oh okay. I'm not sure if I agree with that but those are the rules...

EmpireStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
it has nothing to do with not being excited about the progress from the young players on this team. it has everything to do with guys like marian gaborik being a ****ing slouch on the ice. bring it or don't dress for the game. he's been awful this year.
What is becoming apparent to me is Gaborik's consistent lack of effort. It's one thing to have a tough year. That can happen. But this looks like a guy playing with out fire. That is unacceptable. Something needs to be done.

I'm just not sure what the right thing to do is. Does Tort's feel the same way? How do you wake this guy up and get him to play with some fire the way others on the team do?

That is the thing that really sticks out. The contrast between his effort in some games. It's dramatic. Also comparing his effort shift to shift with that of his team mates. Watch a shift from Zuk or Wolski even. These guys are out working a guy making many times what they are.

This is why I question the wisdom of bringing in more high priced free agents. You think it can't happen again....but it does.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM
nexusrage21

Quote:
gaborik has been absolutely terrible lately. he's not skating at all. he has to be the difference in games like this. the pp is also downright wretched.

UGH. I'm getting real sick of gaborik and his lousy effort night in and night out. what a joke. if he isn't damaged goods at this point, he's not playing anywhere near as hard as he should be. if i was torts i'd bench his ass for a game or two.

when was the last time our pp didn't suck? straka - nylander - jagr? UGH. what a ****** loss last night.
There were two plays where he was breaking out, but instead of skating hard through the neutral zone when he had room to do so, he passed the puck off, once to Anisimov, who seemed confused by it and passed it back to Gaborik, and the other time I'm not sure who it was, maybe Anisimov. But both times it looked like he didn't want to go into high gear.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Suspension for Staal, really? I don't even think that should have been 5 minutes. 2 for roughing, 2 for unsportsmanlike/intent to injure. And Prust definitely embellished it a bit. Not a total dive, but still blatant.
Ypou cant go around popping people in the jaw when they arent looking. Thats why he got the match. Its dangerous. Prust fell like a deck of cards but it may not have been embellished. He was surprised and said it hit him in the sweet spot. He didnt play for the rest of the period. Staal got what he deserved. Thats a reactionary undisciplined penalty.

With all the shots to the head talk, that type of play is included in the discussion

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Ypou cant go around popping people in the jaw when they arent looking. Thats why he got the match. Its dangerous. Prust fell like a deck of cards but it may not have been embellished. He was surprised and said it hit him in the sweet spot. He didnt play for the rest of the period. Staal got what he deserved. Thats a reactionary undisciplined penalty.
Well, I think Prust was looking right at him. He also popped him with an elbow before he got hooked. Let me just say that I absolutely do not condone sucker punches, but I don't think it was as bad as some people are making it out to be. I DO think however that if the referees felt that the intent was there, that a major is fair, but I don't think it was malicious.

02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusrage21 View Post
There were two plays where he was breaking out, but instead of skating hard through the neutral zone when he had room to do so, he passed the puck off, once to Anisimov, who seemed confused by it and passed it back to Gaborik, and the other time I'm not sure who it was, maybe Anisimov. But both times it looked like he didn't want to go into high gear.
This definitely happened. I think it was in OT with the open ice and Gabby and Anisimov were one of the forward pairs. Very frustrating.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Well, I think Prust was looking right at him. He also popped him with an elbow before he got hooked. Let me just say that I absolutely do not condone sucker punches, but I don't think it was as bad as some people are making it out to be. I DO think however that if the referees felt that the intent was there, that a major is fair, but I don't think it was malicious.
Definitely. I'm not sure the 1 game auto suspension is really even called for. Getting the 5 and booted from the game was probably enough. It was kinda dumb but not that malicious

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusrage21 View Post
this is exactly what i'm talking about. he's the guy on this team. everyone looks for him, especially in the neutral zone and on the breakout. there were multiple times where gaborik was given the puck in the neutral zone and he just passed it back to whomever rather than turning on the jets and burning into the offensive zone like we saw repeatedly last year. it's not like he didn't have room either. he just didn't have the effort. the result is he looks like he's taking shifts, games even, off.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:38 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
this is exactly what i'm talking about. he's the guy on this team. everyone looks for him, especially in the neutral zone and on the breakout. there were multiple times where gaborik was given the puck in the neutral zone and he just passed it back to whomever rather than turning on the jets and burning into the offensive zone like we saw repeatedly last year. it's not like he didn't have room either. he just didn't have the effort. the result is he looks like he's taking shifts, games even, off.
Agreed, I'm seeing the same thing. I'm not sure if it's a matter of avoiding contact, inability to shoot due to a shoulder issue, or simply something mental.

Whatever it is, he's got to get it going. His efforts could make a HUGE positive difference for the team. As it stands, on the nights he's coasting... he's Drury without the shot blocking and faceoffs.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
What is becoming apparent to me is Gaborik's consistent lack of effort. It's one thing to have a tough year. That can happen. But this looks like a guy playing with out fire. That is unacceptable. Something needs to be done.

I'm just not sure what the right thing to do is. Does Tort's feel the same way? How do you wake this guy up and get him to play with some fire the way others on the team do?

That is the thing that really sticks out. The contrast between his effort in some games. It's dramatic. Also comparing his effort shift to shift with that of his team mates. Watch a shift from Zuk or Wolski even. These guys are out working a guy making many times what they are.

This is why I question the wisdom of bringing in more high priced free agents. You think it can't happen again....but it does.
again, this is exactly what i'm talking about.

there's no effort from him at all. if you're listening to sam and joe praise his every shift and buying into the ******** they preach about how hard he's working, i feel sorry for you. his calling card is speed but lately it looks like last year's version of brian boyle could dust him in a race. i've had enough of the love fest for gaborik this year. i tried to be patient with him coming back from the injury but this is ridiculous. put up or shut up.

Old
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
NYRCC

...and another thing. i'd be able to give gaborik a bit of a pass on his recent inability to score if he at least looked like he was trying out there.

his effort flat out sucks. if the coaching staff won't give him a peepee smack than this is the kind of time where i wish our captain wasn't a figurehead because someone needs to put him in his place.

UGH. i'm still pissed about last night!

Old
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
OverTheCap

Gaborik needs to shoot the puck more. He's averaging 3 shots a game this season, last year he averaged well over 3, around 3.6 shots a game. At first I thought maybe it was the shoulder, but he has no problem sniping nets against teams like Toronto. Whatever the reason, it's pretty frustrating. We know he's capable of being better than this.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
NYR510

If this team had a top10 powerplay, we would be looking at hosting a playoff series.

NYR510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:03 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Gaborik needs to shoot the puck more. He's averaging 3 shots a game this season, last year he averaged well over 3, around 3.6 shots a game. At first I thought maybe it was the shoulder, but he has no problem sniping nets against teams like Toronto. Whatever the reason, it's pretty frustrating. We know he's capable of being better than this.
Only one of those Toronto goals was a snipe and I cant remember too many others this year. Last year I remember the two against Washington where you could literally see the fear in Varlamov as Gaborik released the puck, the ridiculous shot against LA, a shot against Phoenix on the PP that fit into the smallest of openings (just to name a few).

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:18 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

At what point do we explore moving him? It's not a matter of linemates getting him going, he's had damn near everybody.

If he continues to stink it up, his value will drop. As it stands now, what type of return would we be looking at?

Conversely, what's needed to get him going?

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Are you drunk? Drury was great in the dot tonight. Look, there's alot you can say about his game but he's still really good on faceoffs and although his time has been very limited he has been generating some scoring chances as of late. Fleury made a dynamite glove save on a Drury scorcher which appeared to be labeled. So, whine if you want about his contract but don't blast him for things he's actually doing well.
Drunk and whining? Where did i say something about his contract? The Penguins were without Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Letestu their top 4 centers. So drury went 6-3 against a team that was playing their AHL team at center and he won a few faceoffs and you want to jump for joy? I didn't know Sam Rosen was a poster on this board, stop with the Drury love, the guy was decent in the faceoff circle (probably for the 1st time this year) vs a team missing their top 4 centers, and had one nice shot. He lost at least 2 defensive zone faceoffs I know for sure, in the mean time Dubinsky and Anisimov also had amazing faceoff nights, other than the PK and faceoffs drury provides nothing. When he actually scores a goal or does something I will get off his case and I am not about to drool over his 6-3 faceoff night. Keep drinking the MSG Kool-aid

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Suspension for Staal, really? I don't even think that should have been 5 minutes. 2 for roughing, 2 for unsportsmanlike/intent to injure. And Prust definitely embellished it a bit. Not a total dive, but still blatant.
Agreed on the penalty call, I was shocked he got 5 and a game. I think he caught Prust off guard with the punch, but it didn't look like a knockout blow thats for sure.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
At what point do we explore moving him? It's not a matter of linemates getting him going, he's had damn near everybody.

If he continues to stink it up, his value will drop. As it stands now, what type of return would we be looking at?

If you are talking about Gaborik
1) he has a limited no trade clause so he won't be easy to deal
2) he has a 7.5 million dollar cap hit for the next what 5 years, also not easy to trade
3) you don't trade a player of his caliber when his value is this low, the return will not be very good
4) we get Prospal back tomorrow and Christensen in a week to 2 so two players he has chemistry with will be back
5) Teams play their best defensive pair against him, Orpik was all over him all night and that opens things up for the other lines, trading him will mean other players will then be centered on instead of him, thats a bad idea
6) We aren't going to trade Gaborik, so I wouldn't bother asking that

Old
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Levitate

Yeah, teams are playing Gaborik a lot closer than they were last year. He's not getting a lot of good scoring chances with his shot lately.

He either needs to figure out how to do that, or go to the net. Honestly I'd like to see him carry the puck less and spend more time going to the net. He has really really good hands around the net

He tends to lose the puck a lot if he's trying to be the one to setup the play, since he's not that great along the boards

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post

it certainly has nothing to do with his linemates. he's played with the entire team... we're in some serious trouble if vinny prospal is the only player capable of playing with marian gaborik.

he has plenty of value still. even with his slump, i think most gm's would think a change of scenery could get him going again. who knows if we haven't already explored moving him. i'd be hard pressed to imagine that we're shopping him but i guarantee glen is listening if he gets calls. you'd have to think we could fetch quite a bit if it ever did come to that. especially from a team like the kings who are desperate for top 6 help and have plenty of trade assets.

honestly, snipers of his talent level are so hard to find. it's one of those situations where if we move him it could be years before we find someone capable of scoring like he can. that might be enough of a reason for a lot of people in the organization to justify keeping him no matter how lousy he's playing. after all, he's still in the lineup. i'd listen to anything but it'd have to be a great return if we we're to move him.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
If you are talking about Gaborik
3) you don't trade a player of his caliber when his value is this low, the return will not be very good
4) we get Prospal back tomorrow and Christensen in a week to 2 so two players he has chemistry with will be back
5) Teams play their best defensive pair against him, Orpik was all over him all night and that opens things up for the other lines, trading him will mean other players will then be centered on instead of him, thats a bad idea
6) We aren't going to trade Gaborik, so I wouldn't bother asking that

3) even with his slump his value is still high to other gms, i guarantee it.

4) christensen doesn't belong in this line up. giving him a roster spot and playing him on the top line just because people think he has chemistry with gaborik is bullocks. he needs to earn that ice time and he hasn't. christensen isn't going to get him going and nor is prospal. the only person that can get gaborik going is himself. he has to want it, and he doesn't.

5) he isn't skating through the neutral zone at all. he has room, he has speed (or used to) he's not using it. there's absolutely no hustle to his game right now.

6) you never know.

Old
02-02-2011, 01:59 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Good god, MORE Gaborik trade ********? He's going nowhere. He's signed for 4 more years, and is an elite player. Those types don't get traded.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Drunk and whining? Where did i say something about his contract? The Penguins were without Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Letestu their top 4 centers. So drury went 6-3 against a team that was playing their AHL team at center and he won a few faceoffs and you want to jump for joy? I didn't know Sam Rosen was a poster on this board, stop with the Drury love, the guy was decent in the faceoff circle (probably for the 1st time this year) vs a team missing their top 4 centers, and had one nice shot. He lost at least 2 defensive zone faceoffs I know for sure, in the mean time Dubinsky and Anisimov also had amazing faceoff nights, other than the PK and faceoffs drury provides nothing. When he actually scores a goal or does something I will get off his case and I am not about to drool over his 6-3 faceoff night. Keep drinking the MSG Kool-aid
You said Torts has him on the ice to lose every defensive draw. You don't see that as a big time misrepresentation of what he's been doing? You don't need to drool or like his play but if you stick to the facts you have enough to get on him about. No need to exaggerate his failings. No Kook Aid here. I'm just not going to get on a guy for mistakes he's not making.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 02:03 PM
NYRCC

Quote:
Good god, MORE Gaborik trade ********? He's going nowhere. He's signed for 4 more years, and is an elite player. Those types don't get traded.
i don't think he's going to be moved, either.

all i'm going to say is, irrelevant of contract:

jaromir jagr was traded.
wayne gretzky was traded.

want me to continue? I could go all day.

if gaborik keeps his nik zherdev impression going for the rest of this year, you never know.