HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Staal will not be suspended apparently?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
  #26
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Oh god, that wasn't an elbow! From the versus feed you could clearly see they both had their hands thrown up in such a way, that the only possible way it can be construed as an elbow is if Staal skated into his elbow. Prust threw his arms up (his forearms, not his elbow, facing Staal) to stop Staal from crashing right into him.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 03:59 PM
  #27
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,883
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Oh god, that wasn't an elbow! From the versus feed you could clearly see they both had their hands thrown up in such a way, that the only possible way it can be construed as an elbow is if Staal skated into his elbow. Prust threw his arms up (his forearms, not his elbow, facing Staal) to stop Staal from crashing right into him.
Still looks like an elbow to me after zooming in and watching it in slow-mo.

Still not suspension worthy.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
  #28
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Still looks like an elbow to me after zooming in and watching it in slow-mo.

Still not suspension worthy.
Agree to disagree, but from the Versus feed I thought it was clear Prust didn't elbow him. Staal threw a ***** fit because Prust legally checked his boy.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
  #29
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
It was more of a love tap than anything and Prust embellished it pretty badly. I bet he got a harder shot from Engelland during the fight, and he still remained on his skates then.

Getting a 5 minute PP out of that surprised me tbh. Move on.
Really? There is a HUGE difference between getting punched in a fight when you're expecting it and on your toes defending it and then getting punched out of the blue, right in the jaw, by someone who you were not engaged with at all.

I'm not sure that he did or didn't embellish it and none of you are either despite how strongly you may assert one way or the other. Only Prust knows for sure. If you've ever seen someone get knocked out or been knocked out yourself you know that the body reacts in odd ways. You can start to go one way and then fall the other for example - you're dazed, you're disoriented, you don't really know whats going on if/when someone gets you in the right spot unexpectedly. Its just as likely that his reaction was natural as unnatural IMO.

I'm not saying that Staal should have been suspended more - I think a misconduct was appropriate, hell, I would have been okay with a double minor. However, people are jumping to conclusions and using seriously faulty logic in regard to Prust's reaction.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
  #30
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What has Avery ever done on the ice that's suspendable? Waving his hand in Fatso's face? Oh, woe is me!

Please, enlighten me. Tell me when he's throwing elbows and ending careers like Cooke.
Avery has been himself, that's all it takes. There's a certain code players go by and he doesn't play that way. Like it or not, it makes him a target, Avery knows this and uses it to get fans like you to stand up for him. But he also gets called for penalties that could be construed as marginal and then gets no benefit when guys like Orpik actually elbow him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
After last night you have.
Yeah, he definitely embellished it. Staal took a vicious one handed swing, I wouldve been fine with a double roughing minor, especially since Prust was okay. But being okay does not absolve Staal from what he got, no need for anymore.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:10 PM
  #31
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,818
vCash: 500
I thought it was a good call on the ice (I'd personally like to see more match penalties called, especially on head shots) and a good call off the ice. I agree with Nexus -- move on.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
  #32
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I think I read something (somebody's post on HF perhaps) saying that getting a game misconduct = 1 game suspension automatically. Is that true?
Yes or at least I believe so, I posted the actual rules on the bottom of the first page.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
  #33
gopens66
#7
 
gopens66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Altoona,Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26304

21.1 Match Penalty - A match penalty involves the suspension of a player for the balance of the game and the offender shall be ordered to the dressing room immediately.
A match penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts to injure or who deliberately injures an opponent in any manner.

Read further

In addition to the match penalty, the player shall be automatically suspended from further competition until the Commissioner has ruled on the issue. See also Rule 29 Supplementary Discipline.

Under rule 28.1 "If an investigation is requested by a Club or by the League on its own initiative, it must be initiated within twenty-four (24) hours following the completion of the game in which the incident occurred."

Now what that means, If a player takes a match penalty he is suspended for the remainder of the game and a 5 minute penalty is served. Furthermore an investigation by the league is initiated and must be completed within 24 hours of the incident all the while the player is indeffinitally suspended from play while a decision by the league is made.

In theory staal should be indefinitely suspended for a least one game until a decision is made from the league within the given time frame.
The league looked at it and said there would be no suspension. There was no changing of the rules because it was the Pens. If the league feels further investigation (like questioning players, refs, etc... for insight, then he would most likely sit tonight's game out while that all happened. Stop with the conspiracy stuff.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
  #34
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,755
vCash: 500
Match penalties are ALL automatically reviewed after the game. The league has the discretion to rescind the match penalty after reviewing the penalty in question.

The league obviously reviewed the penalty and didn't feel it was suspension worthy.

This happens quite frequently when there are match penalties. I remember a few others that were rescinded this year.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
  #35
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,883
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Match penalties are ALL automatically reviewed after the game. The league has the discretion to rescind the match penalty after reviewing the penalty in question.

The league obviously reviewed the penalty and didn't feel it was suspension worthy.
Thanks for the clarification.

And I agree with the decision.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:30 PM
  #36
NYGRYK21
HFWF IC Champ
 
NYGRYK21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Not suspension worthy.

NYGRYK21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
  #37
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,047
vCash: 873
Prust delivered an elbow to Staal's chin on the way in. Staal responded with a neat left hook that prust absolutely embellished.

End of story.

Good that the league didn't do anything further

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
  #38
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Did anyone really think that was worthy of a suspension? A 5 and a game misconduct was enough.
It's suspension worthy based on the rules that come with a match penalty. And considering all the hoopla about hits to the head and concussions, yes I am surprised that this wasn't a suspension of 1 game. Who cares if Prust was fine? It's a dangerous action that had zero respect for another player. That is suspension worthy. Especially for a retaliation on a clean hit, which we seem to always get 2, 5 and 10's for.

Maybe my true issue is with the automatic penalties/suspension and all the lipservice about the injury du jour. First off, why create an automatic punishment if it is rescinded 90% of the time? Why create a divers' list and not add a single player to it in 5 seasons? Why go on and on and have special meetings on head shots because Crosby ran into a very big player which was his fault? And am I crazy or wasn't Bettman patting himself on the back a month ago for having such splendid results on head shots? Now he is pounding the pulpit again because his superstar concussed himself in an accidental collision. But he will turn a blind eye to a suckerpunch. There is no standard of justice in this league and that is my problem.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
  #39
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
It's suspension worthy based on the rules that come with a match penalty. And considering all the hoopla about hits to the head and concussions, yes I am surprised that this wasn't a suspension of 1 game. Who cares if Prust was fine? It's a dangerous action that had zero respect for another player. That is suspension worthy. Especially for a retaliation on a clean hit, which we seem to always get 2, 5 and 10's for.

Maybe my true issue is with the automatic penalties/suspension and all the lipservice about the injury du jour. First off, why create an automatic punishment if it is rescinded 90% of the time? Why create a divers' list and not add a single player to it in 5 seasons? Why go on and on and have special meetings on head shots because Crosby ran into a very big player which was his fault? And am I crazy or wasn't Bettman patting himself on the back a month ago for having such splendid results on head shots? Now he is pounding the pulpit again because his superstar concussed himself in an accidental collision. But he will turn a blind eye to a suckerpunch. There is no standard of justice in this league and that is my problem.
Thank you. If somebody "tapped" Crosby like Staal "tapped" Prust, and Crosby dived, you bet your ass there'd be a suspension.

But i'm sure Prust already knew the league cares less about him than Crysby.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
  #40
gopens66
#7
 
gopens66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Altoona,Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
It's suspension worthy based on the rules that come with a match penalty. And considering all the hoopla about hits to the head and concussions, yes I am surprised that this wasn't a suspension of 1 game. Who cares if Prust was fine? It's a dangerous action that had zero respect for another player. That is suspension worthy. Especially for a retaliation on a clean hit, which we seem to always get 2, 5 and 10's for.

Maybe my true issue is with the automatic penalties/suspension and all the lipservice about the injury du jour. First off, why create an automatic punishment if it is rescinded 90% of the time? Why create a divers' list and not add a single player to it in 5 seasons? Why go on and on and have special meetings on head shots because Crosby ran into a very big player which was his fault? And am I crazy or wasn't Bettman patting himself on the back a month ago for having such splendid results on head shots? Now he is pounding the pulpit again because his superstar concussed himself in an accidental collision. But he will turn a blind eye to a suckerpunch. There is no standard of justice in this league and that is my problem.
OK, there are a lot of problems here. There is no automatic 1 game suspension. The rules are listed previously in this thread. They say the player is suspended from play indefinitely until a ruling is made. There was a ruling made. No further suspension.

As for the head shots: The league was patting itself on the back a year ago. Many Pens fans were complaining about the lack of acknowledgment from Uncle Gary and the league a month ago. I don't get where you see pulpit pounding from him where he basically ignored it. Twice.

If you are equating Jordan's jab to the chin with a "Head Shot" then I don't what to say to you.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
  #41
92hatchattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
I think the whole situation was handles just find. I dont think Prust embelished at all there. A good pop to the jaw can absoluty drop you if it catches you in the right spot and your not ready for it.

The league did not bend any rules by not issuing a suspension, and i dont think one was needed either. This is hockey, not soccer guys. Jordan just snapped for a second and threw a punch... happens all the time in the nhl.

If that punch didnt drop Prust like it did, there would have been a 2 minute penalty and everyone would have been satisfied.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
  #42
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
sean avery does the exact same thing, he gets no less than 3 games.

period.

this league is a farce
Funny you give an example of a guy who has never been suspended.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Did anyone really think that was worthy of a suspension? A 5 and a game misconduct was enough.
Anyone calling for a suspension, reverse the jersey.... still calling for a suspension?



Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Oh god, that wasn't an elbow! From the versus feed you could clearly see they both had their hands thrown up in such a way, that the only possible way it can be construed as an elbow is if Staal skated into his elbow. Prust threw his arms up (his forearms, not his elbow, facing Staal) to stop Staal from crashing right into him.
He brings his elbow up in defense..... but it's still an elbow.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
  #43
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
sean avery does the exact same thing, he gets no less than 3 games.

period.
Really? Then why didn't he get anything for his deliberate slash to the back of Komisarek's ankle? Surely if the league were out to get him they could have given a 1 game suspension for this incident, or at least fined him... Yet, nothing...


wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:04 PM
  #44
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
I dont think Prust embelished at all there. A good pop to the jaw can absoluty drop you if it catches you in the right spot and your not ready for it.
.
Agree 100%... Anyone who watches UFC can attest to this.... Guys get dropped with softer then normal punches all the time, depending on where they land... Hit just the right spot on the cheek/jaw area, and you will buckle the guy's knees and down he goes....

Prust does not strike me as the type of player that would ever dive or embellish a play.... I know it's easy for people to jump to that conclusion based on the strength of the gloved punch (or lack thereof), but I don't believe he would have done that.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:19 PM
  #45
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,610
vCash: 659
a poster on the Penguins board thought that Prust should be suspended for diving. I don't think issuing suspensions for diving is a can that they want opened.

he also thought Boyle should get a 3rd man in. amazing.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
  #46
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,633
vCash: 500
I love Prust this year, been one of my fave players easy, but I can't believe anyone seriously thinks he didn't embellish on that play.

Like Bob said in this thread, does not mean Staal didn't deserve to be dealt with like he did. That was fair enough, move on.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:32 PM
  #47
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I love Prust this year, been one of my fave players easy, but I can't believe anyone seriously thinks he didn't embellish on that play.
You should catch some some UFC, WEC, or any mixed martial arts events.... Guys get dropped with soft punches all the time.... It's not about the strength of the punch, it's about where it hits.... Watching the replay several times, it bears a striking resemblance to instances I've seen in UFC before, where the guy takes a shot to the jaw, his knees buckle, and the weight of his body comes crashing down to the floor right where he's standing... This is exactly what happens to Prust in the replay, watch his knees give out and how his body falls to the ice in an unnatural manner... Pretty hard to fake, especially falling to the ice without using your hands to brace yourself (which he doesn't do).... Even harder to imagine he would have had the split second thinking and timing to immediately crumble to the ice after an unsuspecting punch was delivered with a gloved hand:





Prust is a tough guy in the league... Does anyone think he would want to hurt and sacrifice his reputation by flopping to the ice to embellish a play and get a call on a gloved punch? I don't....


Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-02-2011 at 06:39 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
  #48
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You should catch some some UFC, WEC, or any mixed martial arts events.... Guys get dropped with soft punches all the time.... It's not about the strength of the punch, it's about where it hits.... Watching the replay several times, it bears a striking resemblance to instances I've seen in UFC before, where the guy takes a shot to the jaw, his knees buckle, and the weight of his body comes crashing down to the floor right where he's standing... This is exactly what happens to Prust in the replay, watch his knees give out and how his body falls to the ice in an unnatural manner... Pretty hard to fake, especially falling to the ice without using your hands to brace yourself (which he doesn't do).... Even harder to imagine he would have had the split second thinking and timing to immediately crumble to the ice after an unsuspecting punch was delivered with a gloved hand:





Prust is a tough guy in the league... Does anyone think he would want to hurt sacrifice his reputation by flopping to the ice to embellish a play and get a call on a gloved punch? I don't....
It looks like he got hit where the jaw meets the cheek...That and the nose are the two most painful places on the face to be hit, IMO.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:44 PM
  #49
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,633
vCash: 500
wolf, your wasting your breath, the stuff about where a punch hits has no bearing, he clearly just reacted to the punch, but some of that reaction was embellishment for the sake of gaining a bigger penalty.

I have no problem with embellishing as long as its not a total drama act.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
  #50
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It looks like he got hit where the jaw meets the cheek...That and the nose are the two most painful places on the face to be hit, IMO.
When I first started watching MMA, I would see 2 guys knock the hell out of each other for a few rounds and endure some real hard punches to the face/head, then one of the guys would take a seemingly soft punch to the jaw and crumble to the mat and be out cold, and the fight would be over... First time I saw it happen upon watching the replay my gut reaction was "What the hell! That's all it took?"... But the more I would see it happen the more I started buying into the fact that it's all about where the punch connects, and the lower jaw seems to be a very vulnerable spot on the head.... Seen it happen in boxing quite a bit too..

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.