HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - 2/2/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
02-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
Just like Mike Cammalleri, Patrick O'Sullivan and others before him, Ryan Smyth takes a shot at Los Angeles Kings fans:

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:41 AM
s3machine*

Calamari and POS can suck it.

s3machine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:43 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3machine View Post
I too wish that Doughty would have gotten that goal that went off Smittys blade but if you look close Drew is starting to rack up some points.. He might not finish with as many goals as he did last year but he definitely will surpass the amount of assists he had which will put him at 50-60 points.. and the guy was a BEAST on the defense end tonight. Taylor Hall is going to have nightmares about DD8.
Smyth says he didn't deflect either goal. Might see some scoring changes.

02-03-2011, 12:47 AM
s3machine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Smyth says he didn't deflect either goal. Might see some scoring changes.
Never to discredit anything Smith does because the effort he shows on the ice his honestly priceless but it would be nice to put that goal on Doughty's stat sheet.. Just a confidence booster if anything..

I can see Drew finishing the year with 12 or so goals which would not be a failure on the offensive side at all.. He should surpass 40 assists easily (given that the team actually puts up some decent offensive numbers) and will get back up to around 60 points I believe.

You gotta love when the team plays well.. it makes you feel damn good

Old
02-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

On the first goal you could atleast see the puck change direction when it hit Smyth's skate, the second goal looked clearly in for DD.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Toydarian

The shift when Doughty broke his stick and chased Hall all around the offensive zone was hilarious! Hall definitely seems to bring the best out in DD.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Ice Whole

Hey guys, Oilers fan coming in peace.

I love the Hall-Doughty rivalry and it's only going to get better from here. Two stars (hopefully Hall becomes a star player) going head to head and bringing the best out of each other. Just the thought of what's going to happen when these guys are in their primes or even better yet, if we manage to meet in the playoffs once the Oilers can compete will be very exciting. Also, I don't hate Doughty, still one of my favorite players but when it comes to Hall vs Doughty, I've got to go with my boy Hall

Also, I was just curious but how has Bernier been this year for you guys? Quick played spectacular today and he has been doing well for most of the year, does this mean that Bernier might be the one that gets traded?

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:40 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Also, I was just curious but how has Bernier been this year for you guys? Quick played spectacular today and he has been doing well for most of the year, does this mean that Bernier might be the one that gets traded?
Bernier's been okay. He's still adjusting to a few things, mainly not playing all that much.

I can't fathom Lombardi has even contemplated trading either goalie. Both are signed to very cap friendly deals (Quick at 1.8 per; Bernier at 1.2 per and still an RFA) and neither has proved they're the clear cut guy going forward to make a trade worthwhile. Young, relatively unproven goalies just don't fetch enough on the trade market for it to make sense. We're better off keeping both on the cheap until the end of 2012/13 season when we have to make decisions on their next contracts barring them signing new deals prior to that.

I'd guess the "plan" is to hope by that point one of Quick/Bernier has clearly been established as our long term #1, one of our other goalie prospects such as Zatkoff/Jones has developed enough to take over the backup role full time, and the "loser" in the starting goalie battle can be moved similar to what Montreal did with Price/Halak this past off-season.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:01 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Alec Martinez was the difference tonight.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I really don't get your Martinez hate. He's a fine player, a good skater who plays the body well, has an active stick, moves the puck up ice with a good first pass and can contribute on the powerplay. You can't realistically expect our bottom pairing guys, rookies in particular, to play like top pairing defensemen.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Martyros

All five teams from the pacific have a solid chance of making the playoffs +Chicago being the other team beneath 3rd place.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I think it was Stoll had 39 seconds on the PP instead of 5 mins... Oh they actually scored on PP so I am definitely correct.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:53 AM
s3machine*

woa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
All five teams from the pacific have a solid chance of making the playoffs +Chicago being the other team beneath 3rd place.
I didn't even notice that bro.. wow.. have all 5 teams from a division ever made the playoffs before in the same year? in any sport nonetheless?? and the 'experts' said the Pacific was ours to win because its weak this year? seems like the strongest overall division in the entire league.

Old
02-03-2011, 03:24 AM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3machine View Post
I didn't even notice that bro.. wow.. have all 5 teams from a division ever made the playoffs before in the same year? in any sport nonetheless?? and the 'experts' said the Pacific was ours to win because its weak this year? seems like the strongest overall division in the entire league.
Dallas kind of caught everyone by surprise, but I think SJ, Phx, and LA are all a bit weaker than a season ago. Anaheim is kind of surprising and I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out and it keeps not happening. I think it's really 5 pretty much middle of the road teams, and 5 (maybe 6) middle of the road teams are making the playoffs in the West.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 05:13 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

the Pacific title actually isnt too far out of reach

Just got to keep putting the wins together

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 05:23 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

This is going to be an exciting finish to the season.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:46 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
I hope that three make it...and the two I most want to see out are to the south and north of us...IN CA...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Bernier's been okay. He's still adjusting to a few things, mainly not playing all that much.

I can't fathom Lombardi has even contemplated trading either goalie. Both are signed to very cap friendly deals (Quick at 1.8 per; Bernier at 1.2 per and still an RFA) and neither has proved they're the clear cut guy going forward to make a trade worthwhile. Young, relatively unproven goalies just don't fetch enough on the trade market for it to make sense. We're better off keeping both on the cheap until the end of 2012/13 season when we have to make decisions on their next contracts barring them signing new deals prior to that.

I'd guess the "plan" is to hope by that point one of Quick/Bernier has clearly been established as our long term #1, one of our other goalie prospects such as Zatkoff/Jones has developed enough to take over the backup role full time, and the "loser" in the starting goalie battle can be moved similar to what Montreal did with Price/Halak this past off-season.
Great assessment. I will add that it seems in his past few games that JB has finally figured out the back up role. He's gone a little while between games, but in his last two+ games he's been the player he should be. He seems to have stopped over-analyzing each play and just falling back into his skill. His last two games, he is 0-1-1 BUT, he has a 0.97 gaa and a .962 save %. In the last 3 games, he's only given up 4 goals. Just shows how much the team is NOT scoring.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:25 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
The shift when Doughty broke his stick and chased Hall all around the offensive zone was hilarious!
I saw that also. Someone needs to loop that vid with the Benny Hill/Yakety Sax music playing in the backround.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
I hope that three make it...and the two I most want to see out are to the south and north of us...IN CA...
F that, I hope the Ducks and Kings both make it and the Kings send the Ducks golfing.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
You gotta be kidding. All three CA teams in the post season would be fantastic. Add Vancouver and that's lots of West Coast timezone playoff hockey.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:06 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsation8 View Post
With how close the race is right now, I think 98 pts would clinch for an 8th seed..
It should do so easily. With the parity this year, it will take less points. Chicago (currently 8th) is on pace for 93-94 points (~93.25). So, if current pace holds, 98 should be plenty to make it in.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:51 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

For the stiffs who actually forget there was a game to watch, are there any decent youtubes up from last night? Like of Doughty v Hall?

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

So now the LA Kings Twitter is saying that the 2 first goals will be credited to Doughty instead of Smyth. Doughty with 2 last night and Johnson with 1..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
So now the LA Kings Twitter is saying that the 2 first goals will be credited to Doughty instead of Smyth. Doughty with 2 last night and Johnson with 1..
Fantastic. How will the points be distributed?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote