HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal and Florida talking Weiss?

Old
02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Pretty sure you got the rumour from Apron Basu on twitter.

He just says that the gms were talking and not that he knows that it's specifically about Weiss.
I take it you didn't read the OP's post?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:54 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

I'd love to have Weiss, once Cammy is back we could rock 3 lines that all have legit scoring capabilities, and would have Desharnais as a nice depth centre if we ran into injuries. Hopefully Weber + Maxwell or something along those lines in return. Panthers have a knack for turning good AHLers ala Maxwell into NHL players.

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
phoque taupe

why another guy under 6 feet

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:05 PM
BigHabs

Players that interest me right now from Florida, that kind of fill a need, These are players I think we have a more realistic chance at getting.

Bernier and Allen

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:05 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post
why another guy under 6 feet
This is so true, i mean come on guys look what the 6 ft thing has done for the Laffs ! Pffft !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
ChoseLa

Pretty sure that Gauthier is looking at his line-up everyday and think about how this team would fare in PO, what do they need, and whenever he has a good feeling about the team he realize that there is a cofee stain over the name Gomez and that's the only reason he feels good about this line-up... Gomez is a problem and Gauthier knows it, if Gomez loses sleep over it so does Gauthier.

And it could be totaly probable that Gauthier wants to acquire a guy like Weiss and put it on the wings, we've seen stranger things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Players that interest me right now from Florida, that kind of fill a need, These are players I think we have a more realistic chance at getting.

Bernier and Allen
Bernier would be the 13th forward (14th counting Cammalleri) on this team right now, he's useless.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 02-04-2011 at 02:12 AM.
ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I don't want anything from the panthers's lineup.
Ugh....I'd trade all of our current defencemen playing now (except Subban) for Kulikov any day of the week

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:23 PM
haburger

i agree.the panthers got nuthin we need.we have our own prospects that we need to develop.

Quote:

Bernier and Allen
bernier??? lmao. o k

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 02-04-2011 at 02:13 AM.
haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:34 AM
NewHabsEra*

ridiculous

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Miller Time

although it could make sense for them financially, I can't really see the Panthers having any interest in taking Gomez back unless we are adding ++ and/or taking Olesz bad contract back as well.

but that said, if PG can pull off a Weiss-Gomez swap without too much added on by us, I'd be ecstatic.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:28 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:

Bernier and Allen
He can stay in Montreal. Florida can ship his stuff out there,no need to come back. Us Panthers fans have had enough of him,time to move on from him. Wideman,Ellerby,Weaver,Kuli,Guds,Garrison,McCabe etc... Hit the bricks,Allen.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:38 AM
the vinyl version

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

the vinyl version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Alexsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
But watching Gauthier engage in such an overt, blatantly obvious display of gossip-fuelling behavior gives me the impression that the whole thing was a piece of well-designed theatre, done for the benefit of some other GM somewhere who may be spending a bit too much time on the fence, and who both Gauthier and Tallon wanted to give a little push off of it.

Damn you Mister Journalist for revealing PG evil plan !!!

Alexsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 04:37 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

We would have to give up quite a bit for Weiss wouldn't we? Not sure if I would change structure of team at this point.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 05:22 AM
TheBuriedHab

I thought the last thing we needed was another center. Unless gomez is going in the other direction I don't see a fit with Weiss. We need another steady dman and Top 6 winger.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:01 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I thought the last thing we needed was another center. Unless gomez is going in the other direction I don't see a fit with Weiss. We need another steady dman and Top 6 winger.
Just thinking up an idea...Gomez and Leblanc for Weiss and Allen? Tough to do but to get Weiss we need to give up something big. If these rumours are true and are about Weiss

Old
02-03-2011, 06:10 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Just thinking up an idea...Gomez and Leblanc for Weiss and Allen? Tough to do but to get Weiss we need to give up something big. If these rumours are true and are about Weiss
Thats a terrible Idea.

I would not trade Leblanc for Weiss. Allen isn't worth that much either.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:17 AM
ruski17

I want Booooooooooooooooooooooooooth please!

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:19 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Thats a terrible Idea.

I would not trade Leblanc for Weiss. Allen isn't worth that much either.
Dumping Gomez contract also, saves us 22 million over next 3 years

Old
02-03-2011, 06:23 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I'd consider Stillman if he could be had for very cheap. He's a character guy, good playmaker and knows where the net is.

I just don't see how Weiss would be possible on different levels - contract, ability, age. Getting him would be too good to be true.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:29 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Dumping Gomez contract also, saves us 22 million over next 3 years
So in order to shed a few bucks you want to toss our 1st rounder Leblanc? Sorry I don't like the approach of 2 steps forward 4 steps back method. I'd rather tough the Gomez contract out and keep our prospects, rather than in a desperate effort to dump his contract, mortgage our future by trading our best prospects in the process.

Old
02-03-2011, 06:36 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
So in order to shed a few bucks you want to toss our 1st rounder Leblanc? Sorry I don't like the approach of 2 steps forward 4 steps back method. I'd rather tough the Gomez contract out and keep our prospects, rather than in a desperate effort to dump his contract, mortgage our future by trading our best prospects in the process.
Agreed, considering after next season Gomez will earn 5.5 and 4.5, might as well wait till then to trade him.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:41 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Without the gomez 7 million it becomes possible to sign better defenseman, such as having Wisnewski, Markov, Gill, Gorges, Subban, Spacek. As well as getting another winger for the top lines I'm sorry one prospect is worth that in my opinion

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
This is over in the trade board, figured you would all want to have a take on it, so I would pass it on over here.......

This is all very loose speculation...

Arpon Basu, a respected Habs media guy, just posted this on Twitter:

Quote:
#Habs GM Gauthier and #Panthers GM Tallon are having a 1-on-1 conversation right in the media lounge just before their two teams meet

Could be nothing, or could be something.

Pierre McGuire and Mitch Melnick discussed on the Team 990 today that the Habs might be looking at Stephen Weiss...something else to consider.

This could all be a big pile of nothing, but stil, food for thought.
I wouldn't be shocked, but I think McCabe or Stillman is more likely. Why would they move a guy like Weiss who has a good contract and is very productive? The only way it makes sense for the Habs is if somehow they could move Gomez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I could see Weber being dealt to Florida if we bring in another d-man. I'm sure DeBoer would love to have him.

Maybe we can upgrade? Allen and Wideman both have one more year after this then UFA. Weber ++ (picks/prospects) for Wideman? Would hugely solidify our D.

Edit: After watching him tonight, not sure what happened to the guy this year, but not so sure I want anything to do with Wideman actually.
Wideman is another Wisniewski type. If we add a veteran on defense it should be a stay at home guy...Allen makes more sense than Wideman. Though I'm concerned with only 60 hits in 42 games, he's 6th on his own freaking team!

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 02-04-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:55 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Without the gomez 7 million it becomes possible to sign better defenseman, such as having Wisnewski, Markov, Gill, Gorges, Subban, Spacek. As well as getting another winger for the top lines I'm sorry one prospect is worth that in my opinion
Your assuming Florida would take on Gomez, and no I disagree, dumping one of our best prospects to get rid of a contract is not worth it. Would Tampa trade Lecavalier and Connolly for Weiss? No I think not.

We need to sign Wiz, Gorges, markov, and if we can Gill. The rest I could care less about. Subban is still under contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't be shocked, but I think McCabe or Stillman is more likely. Why would they move a guy like Weiss who has a good contract and is very productive? The only way it makes sense for the Habs is if somehow they could move Gomez.
I'd love McCabe and he'd come cheaper then wise possibly considering hes a UFA. Great D tho, I wouldn't mind him.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 02-04-2011 at 02:11 AM.