HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal and Florida talking Weiss?

Old
02-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I'd consider Stillman if he could be had for very cheap. He's a character guy, good playmaker and knows where the net is.

I just don't see how Weiss would be possible on different levels - contract, ability, age. Getting him would be too good to be true.
Getting Weiss would work as long as we don't invest anymore in our wingers...his contract is pretty good, but having 15.4 mil cap hit on your top 3 centers is something out of Pittsburgh(21.4 mil).

Stillman makes a lot of sense, he should be dirt cheap...5th to 7th rounder or C prospect(Carle Stejsktal Lefebvre Mayer etc)...but he would basically take up all of our cap room.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Habiton

If were getting Weiss, then Gomez is going back the other way. We cant afford another smallish center!

Gomez
Pleks
Eller
Desch
Halpern
Weiss

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I don't see why Florida would want to move Weiss. Signed for 2 more years after this one at a rather reasonable rate of $3.1M and has an NMC.

If they are to move him now, it would require an overpayment.

I agree that Stillman and/or McCabe are more likely targets, and I would take either, though i don't feel McCabe is really what we need, especially given his injury troubles.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:06 AM
PunkinDrublic*

You guys watch too much of that garbage called anti room....it's curious how these morons manage to brain wash the younger generation quebecois !

Gomez is bad trade him, Kosty is bad trade him, Price is a bust trade him, Halak is god keep him, Gill sucks trade him, Hamrlik sucks trade him, the captain doesnt speak french trade him, pk used Skinners jersey trade him.....good job !!

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
You guys watch too much of that garbage called anti room....it's curious how these morons manage to brain wash the younger generation quebecois !

Gomez is bad trade him, Kosty is bad trade him, Price is a bust trade him, Halak is god keep him, Gill sucks trade him, Hamrlik sucks trade him, the captain doesnt speak french trade him, pk used Skinners jersey trade him.....good job !!
And anglophons are brainwash by Don Cherry, so what's your point.

...and you don't need to listen to anyone to figure out how bad Gomez is.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Gomez has taken some dumb penalities...but what gets annoying is the 2,458 threads about how Gomez's contract is dragging us down and we should send him to Hamilton.

Old
02-03-2011, 08:31 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gomez has taken some dumb penalities...but what gets annoying is the 2,458 threads about how Gomez's contract is dragging us down and we should send him to Hamilton.
Fair enough, but does that mean that I'm brainwash because I don't like him ? (Btw, I don't watch or listen to any shows regarding the habs... I watch the games, change channels during intermissions, that's it)

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
OpenIceHit

Nathan Horton

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:19 AM
RainingRats

Few things...Weiss has only played center, isn't a jew, will probably cost more than you want to pay, we're not taking gomez, you don't want Bernier or Allen, Stillman is the most realistic acquisition and could be had for fairly cheap although his play of late has been very good.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:22 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Few things...Weiss has only played center, isn't a jew, will probably cost more than you want to pay, we're not taking gomez, you don't want Bernier or Allen, Stillman is the most realistic acquisition and could be had for fairly cheap although his play of late has been very good.
What ???
Pass.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Why is this even listed as a factor?

Either way, I really hope this isn't brought up to attention because of that 17 year old that wrote the "rumor".

I pass on Weiss. I like him, but as it's been mentioned before, this team is small enough as it is already. Besides, I like Plecky and Gomez in the first two spots (yes even if Gomez has turned on the suckitude meter lately), and I prefer having Desharnais in the third line role and Halpern on the fourth. Just a matter of opinion, I guess.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
because he has a Jewish last name ;o

Old
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
habdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

I'm english and I dont waste my time watching Cherry, I wouldnt watch those french morons either Cherry should have retired 5 years ago.The worst of them all is Milbury.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
because he has a Jewish last name ;o
And this plays into trade rumours how exactly? I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't here for the inside joke when it started.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
And this plays into trade rumours how exactly? I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't here for the inside joke when it started.
lol no inside joke, just harmless joke , has nothing to do with rumor... i lol'ed a bit

Old
02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
RainingRats

Quote:

Either way, I really hope this isn't brought up to attention because of that 17 year old that wrote the "rumor".

I pass on Weiss. I like him, but as it's been mentioned before, this team is small enough as it is already. Besides, I like Plecky and Gomez in the first two spots (yes even if Gomez has turned on the suckitude meter lately), and I prefer having Desharnais in the third line role and Halpern on the fourth. Just a matter of opinion, I guess.
Someone in the thread said he was...

Old
02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
The Right Price

Weiss is a good player, but I can't see how he would fit our line-up since he is a C. We already have Plekanec and Gomez is not getting demoted. So Weiss would play on the third line?

Plus, I don't see what's in it for Florida either. Weiss has a good contract, is young, and puts up points. Good for they're (constant) re-build I guess.

Gomez+additionals for Weiss. Yeah, I'd do that deal but I doubt Tallon does. Let's stop dreaming, shall we?

Panthers that interests me are Booth, but I don't see how he could fit our line-up either unless we trade Kostitsyn for him. Frolik is an interesting prospect but I doubt Florida is trading him.

Ellerby would be nice addition though. So we can have both Eller and Ellerby

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Jigger77

That kid Ellerby (the guy who rocked Akost last night) sure would look good in a Habs uniform. Probably not a guy they're going to move though. But the kid looks really solid.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:45 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Weiss is a good player, but I can't see how he would fit our line-up since he is a C. We already have Plekanec and Gomez is not getting demoted. So Weiss would play on the third line?

Plus, I don't see what's in it for Florida either. Weiss has a good contract, is young, and puts up points. Good for they're (constant) re-build I guess.

Gomez+additionals for Weiss. Yeah, I'd do that deal but I doubt Tallon does. Let's stop dreaming, shall we?

Panthers that interests me are Booth, but I don't see how he could fit our line-up either unless we trade Kostitsyn for him. Frolik is an interesting prospect but I doubt Florida is trading him.

It's probably a different player. Booth would make more sense but I'm not sure you have the assets to part with to get him or want him. Frolik might be on the block. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That kid Ellerby (the guy who rocked Akost last night) sure would look good in a Habs uniform. Probably not a guy they're going to move though. But the kid looks really solid.
Yeah, he's developed nicely.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 02-04-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old
02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
habsrock76

As much as people like to bash Gomez for his play to salary ratio, he is an intregal part of our line-up and wont be easily replaced.

I dont know much about Weiss but does he really bring the same entagibles that Gomez does? They're numbers seem pretty similar but Gomez is faster, has won a cup and is a warrior in the playoffs. Can Weiss say the same thing?

Btw Florida is going to have trouble reaching the cap floor next year.

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/FLA?year=2011

Last edited by habsrock76: 02-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
habsrock76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
PricePkPatch

I do remember when Gomez was missing how much we lacked puck-carrying capacity.

So people, cork it and endure. Gomez is an important, albeit overpaid, part of this team. He will be extremely important, moral-wise, during the playoffs. More than a kid who never had to handle that kind of pressure.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:02 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
As much as people like to bash Gomez for his play to salary ratio, he is an intregal part of our line-up and wont be easily replaced.

I dont know much about Weiss but does he really bring the same entagibles that Gomez does? They're numbers seem pretty similar but Gomez is faster, has won a cup and is a warrior in the playoffs. Can Weiss say the same thing?

Btw Florida is going to have trouble reaching the cap floor next year.

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/FLA?year=2011
Weiss brings a lot of intangibles. I don't think Florida will have any trouble reaching the cap floor.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:10 AM
shutehinside

Unless we get a physical top 6 player i.e Booth or a shutdown defense man i.e. Allen or both, then I don't see the Panthers as a good trading partner.

On the other hand, I am FAR from being an expert or a scout and there could easily be players that they have that would slot well in our line up. I mean 99% of us only really know the well known players on a roster and would easily miss the Josh Gorges on a San Jose or a PK or Price in a draft.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Big Weiss fan...

Of all the guys we've kicked around acquiring he's my preferred.

Doesn't add size but he's gritty enough that it shouldn't count. If you can add a guy like him. I think you do.

This guy is all over the place everytime we play the Panthers (forecheck, backcheck, scoresheet). The only place you won't find this guy is at the Dentist's officer. Terrific player, imho... right up our alley.

He even got one for us last night...

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post

I think if they add Weiss it would be to play wing for now. Maybe center down the road if Gomez is moved or Desharnais struggles.