HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
You're bang on. Nodl has been getting dominated on the boards lately and just has no spark.
I am glad Nodl made an improvement this season and I hope he does again next season but I don't want to settle for him in a playoff run this season on Richard's line. A player with more grit and size would be nice.

Old
02-03-2011, 03:43 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
No dammit. I like the big winger with Richards idea. Somebody like Glenncross or whoever. Nodl can go to the 4th line. Reasoner didn't seem like a bad idea either. And if we need to we can trade Zherdev to a team that needs offense for a high energy or physical forward.
Glencross isn't big.

I like that we are looking at Cole, he'd be perfect.

Old
02-03-2011, 04:29 AM
40oz

Any interest in Gilbert Brule? I'd like see the Oilers take a run at Carcillo and/or Bourdon.

Old
02-03-2011, 06:05 AM
dookie88

No interest at all in Brule.
And we certainly won't give up Bourdon for him.

Old
02-03-2011, 06:45 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Any interest in Gilbert Brule? I'd like see the Oilers take a run at Carcillo and/or Bourdon.
We have a small angry man in Briere. Except Briere can score.

Old
02-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
No interest at all in Brule.
And we certainly won't give up Bourdon for him.
On one hand Brule is the kind of reclamation project Holmgren likes and the kind of player Laviolette likes, on the other hand he doesn't fill a need for a playoff team, as he isn't a veteran who brings a lot of playoff experience. Probably during the offseason, not at the deadline.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Cartsie stop turning every thread into a Zherdev discussion
It's not, it is about how this team can be better prepared for a playoff run. While some may believe that having ten 20 goal scorers is the way to win in the NHL, my philosophy is to have three solid lines but also have guys on those lines who can be physical players who can grind along the boards and be a PIA to play against. Basically the anti-Zherdev.

Guys like: Dave Bolland, Kris Versteeg, Troy Brouwer, Tomas Kopecky, Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd.....ahem. Who do the Flyers have? Hartnell?

Hey I love skill, but gotta have some guys who bring a little bit more to every shift in the playoffs.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Nodl is killing that line. they need to upgrade his wing spot and out him on the 4th lien where he belongs. He offers little with richards and jvr. He is a hindrance offensively. you think they wont acquire a winger who can play defense as well? you act like nodl is this key cog,he isnt. He is a dime a dozen winger. period.
If you can get a guy on the opposite wing who can play a more physical role and also be sound in all three zones you solve that problem with Nodl. I do not think JvR fits well with Richards and Nodl but a guy like Glencross or Versteeg.

The 4th line is fine with Powe-Betts-Shelley or Carcillo, the top 9 is pretty solidified but getting a guy who is going to be able to fit in with Nodl and Richards should be a priority and put JvR with Carter and Giroux.

We do not need three "scoring lines", especially if we have home ice advantage throughout the playoffs, but having a team who can match up in all three zones against other teams top lines is a huge advantage when defense becomes key and running into a "hot goalie" can steal a series.

The goals will come with Laviolette's gameplan if they play smart, win the board battles, and have four lines that can play a sound defensive game and the offense is created from the defense transition up the ice.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:00 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
It's not, it is about how this team can be better prepared for a playoff run. While some may believe that having ten 20 goal scorers is the way to win in the NHL, my philosophy is to have three solid lines but also have guys on those lines who can be physical players who can grind along the boards and be a PIA to play against. Basically the anti-Zherdev.

Guys like: Dave Bolland, Kris Versteeg, Troy Brouwer, Tomas Kopecky, Dustin Byfuglien and Andrew Ladd.....ahem. Who do the Flyers have? Hartnell?

Hey I love skill, but gotta have some guys who bring a little bit more to every shift in the playoffs.
What is everything Nodl is not, kid just gets abused in the corners and has no offensive hockey sense at all. Carry puck in, hit brakes, try cross ice backhand pass, turnover, repeat. He in my opinion is the only piece that needs upgrading in our top 9. He will def be the one going in any trades, just not sure he has any value !

Old
02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
What is everything Nodl is not, kid just gets abused in the corners and has no offensive hockey sense at all. Carry puck in, hit brakes, try cross ice backhand pass, turnover, repeat. He in my opinion is the only piece that needs upgrading in our top 9. He will def be the one going in any trades, just not sure he has any value !
Why are you being a hater towards Nodsie? You also forgot to add skate around the back of the net with the puck most times when he comes down the boards. Nodl is not a top 9 player. Despite what mr hockey futures staff member spouts out as fact. He had that little spurt and that was it. He is not this great defensive player who makes up for his lack of offense in other areas. He is a 4th line player with little to no offense. As you said he get abused. Shooter realizes this hence that is why they are trying to upgrade the wing and they will. Not hard to do if nodl is the guy your replacing. Nodl might even be scratched tonight from all reports. You wouldn’t even remember his name if nodl never played another game for the flyers. He has little value really as 4th lien guys are a plenty.

Getting a guy to fit in with Nodl is one of the funnier things I have read in a while. They flyers have several guys who can do that.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Nodl is not a bad player to keep on the wing with Richards, if you look at his numbers he has 9 goals and 9 assists, which is just one point behind Zherdev. But he is a much better defensive player. Put a guy like Cole on the wing with those two and it is a perfect situation where JvR can drop with Carter and Giroux and all problems solved. Again, look at the Blackhawks roster last season and you will see guys who are not better/worse than Nodl.

Old
02-03-2011, 10:55 AM
jb**

Quote:
Nodl is not a bad player to keep on the wing with Richards, if you look at his numbers he has 9 goals and 9 assists, which is just one point behind Zherdev. But he is a much better defensive player. Put a guy like Cole on the wing with those two and it is a perfect situation where JvR can drop with Carter and Giroux and all problems solved. Again, look at the Blackhawks roster last season and you will see guys who are not better/worse than Nodl.
Yes he is a bad player to play with Richards. Richards is a talented 1st lien center. Nodl is a 4th line winger. Nodl does not compliment him well at all. He isn’t good enough. Not his fault as he doesn’t have the skill level to play with Richards. Your wasting ricahrds talent by having nodl with him. Who on the hawks do you compare him too?

Old
02-03-2011, 11:19 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Send nodl down, bring up wellwood for a bit.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Yes he is a bad player to play with Richards. Richards is a talented 1st lien center. Nodl is a 4th line winger. Nodl does not compliment him well at all. He isn’t good enough. Not his fault as he doesn’t have the skill level to play with Richards. Your wasting ricahrds talent by having nodl with him. Who on the hawks do you compare him too?
Did you watch the Chi-Philly game recently? Laviolette used Richards as the center who was going to match up against other teams top centers. It may not be considered a "checking" line, but Richards will be counted on for this run to match up first, score second because he has the skill to do that.

My comparison to the Hawks was they had several guys who were not big scorers come up huge in the playoffs, this was a product of hard work and good matchups. The Flyers can still utilize Richards skill and the teams depth, but they need to be a little more physical in their game and a guy like Nodl is going to run through a brick wall to get the job done.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I do not mind Wellwood. And in regards to Nodl, I have been a regular on the Nodsie bashing, but over the last season he has shown he can cotnribute. His first real showing up was in the playoffs last season, he is not going to be counted on to score, but his defensive game is good and he will do the little things to win games.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
jb**

Quote:
I do not mind Wellwood. And in regards to Nodl, I have been a regular on the Nodsie bashing, but over the last season he has shown he can cotnribute. His first real showing up was in the playoffs last season, he is not going to be counted on to score, but his defensive game is good and he will do the little things to win games.
what does he do exactly that make shis defensive game good? what littlel thigns does he do to win games? Nodl is irrelevent really when it comes to the flyers winning or losing games.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
what does he do exactly that make shis defensive game good? what littlel thigns does he do to win games? Nodl is irrelevent really when it comes to the flyers winning or losing games.
He can play some PK minutes if needed, he is a +11 for the season, he is a good backchecker, covers all three zones well, is willing to muck it up along the boards, good skater, and most importantly plays a simple game and makes the smart plays. Goals not scored or efforts which do not show up on the scoring sheet can still help a team win, as a matter of fact you can say a lot of the goals prevented by good, solid defensive positioning and play is what will win you games, not flashy play in the offensive zone.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I just want Wellwood to play along side Cannon and JVR on the top line. I think Wellwood could out perform Nodl in the same amount of time. Rendering Nodl a trading chip, if he or it comes down to it.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
I just want Wellwood to play along side Cannon and JVR on the top line. I think Wellwood could out perform Nodl in the same amount of time. Rendering Nodl a trading chip, if he or it comes down to it.
Wellwood is not ready to play at the NHL level, he is struggling at the AHL level. Nodl has gained the respect of Laviolette with his play, thus why he continues to get significant minutes alongside Richards.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Wellwood is not ready to play at the NHL level, he is struggling at the AHL level. Nodl has gained the respect of Laviolette with his play, thus why he continues to get significant minutes alongside Richards.
Yeah I agree. Wellwood had a good 3 games with the team, but 3 games does not mean anything. It would be nice to acquire a guy to play in Nodl's place and put Nodl in Shelley's place. Not Wellwood, though.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Nodl would have to clear waivers. I am not in favor of outrighting Nodl. While he can be frustrating to watch on a scoring line I think he could be usefull in the bottom 6. Preferably on the 4th. Opposing teams have figured out how to check him and he hasnt been able to adjust to it.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
So much respect he's benched for tonight's game from the initial reports

Anyway, I think Nodl is a good player when he's on his game. He's definitely been off of it of late hence his possible benching. I'm not so sure he should be playing with Richards however..

The player I'm having problems with is Powe.....he needs to add a little more than straightaway skating like Brad Jones up and down the ice and taking dumb penalties..

Old
02-03-2011, 12:37 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post

Anyway, I think Nodl is a good player when he's on his game. He's definitely been off of it of late hence his possible benching. I'm not so sure he should be playing with Richards however..

The player I'm having problems with is Powe.....he needs to add a little more than straightaway skating like Brad Jones up and down the ice and taking dumb penalties..
i remember that signing. All they could do was say what a fast skater. Brad jones and al conroy are 2 of my most despised flyers ever.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post

Yup, because benching players who have not been playing well as of late is no uncharacteristic of Laviolette. I was totally against Nodl playing anywhere near the top 9 but his play during last years playoffs and early in this season showed me this kid has more to offer. Maybe he is a little too comfortable right now and we know Laviolette is king of pushing buttons.

I really think this kid can be a nice winger with Richards as this roster and lineup is currently constituted with a bigger guy to complement him on the opposite wing. I do not want Richards with guys who pass behind their backs, because then he thinks he can do that too. I want him playing with guys who earn their paychecks by hitting bodies, digging pucks, and driving the net.

Powe is a prototypical 4th line guy who can handle some 3rd line minutes, I really have seen Nodl show some real glimpses of being able to put the puck in the net and be a solid winger with Richards. This also gives Giroux and Carter a player in JvR who seems to play better with Giroux.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
jb**

Quote:
Yup, because benching players who have not been playing well as of late is no uncharacteristic of Laviolette. I was totally against Nodl playing anywhere near the top 9 but his play during last years playoffs and early in this season showed me this kid has more to offer. Maybe he is a little too comfortable right now and we know Laviolette is king of pushing buttons.

I really think this kid can be a nice winger with Richards as this roster and lineup is currently constituted with a bigger guy to complement him on the opposite wing. I do not want Richards with guys who pass behind their backs, because then he thinks he can do that too. I want him playing with guys who earn their paychecks by hitting bodies, digging pucks, and driving the net.

Powe is a prototypical 4th line guy who can handle some 3rd line minutes, I really have seen Nodl show some real glimpses of being able to put the puck in the net and be a solid winger with Richards. This also gives Giroux and Carter a player in JvR who seems to play better with Giroux.
He had 6 (1 empty net) goals his first 14 games. 3 in the last 28. None in the last 13 He does not have the talent to play with richards. You really are misguided by what you think Nodl does. Each has their own opinion though.

Nodl has shown 1 decent stretch of putting pucks into the net, not some real glimpses.

Closed Thread