HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Emery signed with Anaheim

Old
02-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

vCash: 500
Ray Emery signed with Anaheim

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Quote:
3) At least three NHL teams have expressed interest in goaltender Ray Emery.
Sources have confirmed both the Anaheim Ducks and Philadelphia Flyers are in the mix as two of the three teams, however neither team is at a point where they're prepared to make an offer to sign the unrestricted free agent. Although, the expectation is teams will make their move on Emery within the next 48 hours.
Mod edit:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=551859

Quote:
Looking to bolster their goaltending depth, the Anaheim Ducks have signed Ray Emery to a one-year, two-way contract. Terms of the deal were not released, but TSN reported the contract would pay Emery $500,000 in the NHL and $105,000 in the AHL.

Emery hasn't played since suffering a serious hip injury with the Philadelphia Flyers last season. He had surgery in April 2010 to repair the condition, called avascular necrosis, which saw the near-complete degradation of the top of the ball in his hip joint. It's the same injury that derailed and subsequently ended the athletic career of two-sport star Bo Jackson.

Emery has to clear waivers, and if he remains with the Ducks, they will assign him to their American Hockey League team, the Syracuse Crunch. The waiver process started Monday at noon ET, and concludes Tuesday at noon ET.

"Ray Emery has been a solid NHL netminder for several years and is only 28 years old," said Ducks Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. "We are going to give him a chance to go to Syracuse and establish himself again. He's worked hard to get back into shape and we are looking forward to seeing what he can do."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:18 PM
bennysflyers16

I would do it if we can sign him to Phantoms for cheap and bring him up later once he proves to be OK. Razor >>>>>> Boosh imo !

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:19 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I'm content with Bob and Boucher. Keep playing whoever is winning. Bob has had flashes of brilliance and other times has been a bit soft. He is young. Let him play.

Let Emery and his injury problems go elsewhere. Let Leighton go elsewhere. Backup goalies are always plentiful.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

McKenzie said he would report to the AHL and take it from there. Said "he's currently in peak condition" on Twitter.
The pre-injury Emery was better than Booch and Leights. I like this ... costs the Flyers nothing but a contract. If he's capable, it puts an extra goalie in the fold and doesn't take away from the roster.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Jester

Remember that thread a month or so back when people said it was "crazy talk" that Homer would be interested in Emery and I brought up the quote in the ESPN article when he began rehab where Holmgren didn't dismiss the idea?

Yeah... about that...

I hope Emery makes a comeback, but he probably shouldn't be on a NHL roster this season.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Not re-signing Emery was nothing but smart business. You don't give an injured guy a new contract.

Well, unless his name is Michael Leighton.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
jb**

worth the risk of signing him to an ahl contract and take it from there. No guartees but he if proves healthy for 2 months not a bad option.Both goalies on the phantoms are not the future anyway so not like he would be takign time away from a young guy. I would think that he would give the flyers first shot.

Flyers one of the best, if not the best, defenses and offesnes in the league. The wek link is goaltending. You need goaltending to win in the playoffs. How comfortable can you be with a rookie and boucher being your guys?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
worth the risk of signing him to an ahl contract and take it from there. No guartees but he if proves healthy for 2 months not a bad option.Both goalies on the phantoms are not the future anyway so not like he would be takign time away from a young guy. I would think that he would give the flyers first shot.

Flyers one of the best, if not the best, defenses and offesnes in the league. The wek link is goaltending. You need goaltending to win in the playoffs. How comfortable can you be with a rookie and boucher being your guys?
Depends if there are any NCAA prospects that you'll want to have a shot at signing this year... and how many. I think we're at either 48 or 49 contracts. You don't have a lot of space to burn.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Depends if there are any NCAA prospects that you'll want to have a shot at signing this year... and how many. I think we're at either 48 or 49 contracts. You don't have a lot of space to burn.
well than that is where shooter calls in a favor and trades an ahl guy for futures to a team that can take a contract if need be.

how many expiring contracts do they have? the could also go the try out contract route then when space is open sign a guy.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Rick Deckard

Elliotte Friedman had an article on Emery yesterday where he said that he would like to play for the Flyers again:

Quote:
If he could pick a team, it's an easy call: The Flyers. "I loved it there. Great group of guys, always hung out together. No small groups of four or five, split up from everyone else."

But Philly, with playoff hero Leighton in the AHL and rookie Sergei Bobrovsky holding strong in the big leagues, appears unlikely. Emery's only 28 and won't command big dollars, so someone's going to give him a shot - although he'll be riding minor league buses at the start.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Rick Deckard

Elliotte Friedman had an article on Emery yesterday where he said that he would like to play for the Flyers again:

Quote:
If he could pick a team, it's an easy call: The Flyers. "I loved it there. Great group of guys, always hung out together. No small groups of four or five, split up from everyone else."

But Philly, with playoff hero Leighton in the AHL and rookie Sergei Bobrovsky holding strong in the big leagues, appears unlikely. Emery's only 28 and won't command big dollars, so someone's going to give him a shot - although he'll be riding minor league buses at the start.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
well than that is where shooter calls in a favor and trades an ahl guy for futures to a team that can take a contract if need be.

how many expiring contracts do they have? the could also go the try out contract route then when space is open sign a guy.
If I was Emery, I'd want an independent AHL contract... but that's just me. Maybe that's what we're talking about, similar to what Boucher did a few years back with the Phantoms.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
jb**

Quote:
If I was Emery, I'd want an independent AHL contract... but that's just me. Maybe that's what we're talking about, similar to what Boucher did a few years back with the Phantoms.
correct, ahl only.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
correct, ahl only.
In that case, it isn't a problem for the NHL limit. So, go ahead, crowd the goalie situation even more down there.

If they do sign Emery, then that would go a long way towards telling us what the situation would be next year, IMO.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:05 PM
jb**

Quote:
In that case, it isn't a problem for the NHL limit. So, go ahead, crowd the goalie situation even more down there.

If they do sign Emery, then that would go a long way towards telling us what the situation would be next year, IMO.
yeah but emery is better than bith, but will need to show he is healthy. Whor eally cares about leighton or bob backlund at this point.

Why do you think it would go a long way in tellign us what it would be next year? i have my own thoughts.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
No! Unless it is just to put him in the AHL as a courtesy or something to him. If you are looking for a goalie, please not Ray "Less Hip Than Bo Jackson" Emery. I loved him in Ottawa and in Philly, but he is damaged goods. Even if he appears healthy, I'm not willing to risk it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
yeah but emery is better than bith, but will need to show he is healthy. Whor eally cares about leighton or bob backlund at this point.

Why do you think it would go a long way in tellign us what it would be next year? i have my own thoughts.
If they sign Emery, then I think that's a clear sign that they have little to no interest (assuming Emery is healthy) in having Leighton in the backup role. Additionally, it would mean that Boucher wouldn't be back either.

As of now we already have the question of whether or not Boucher is back next year, or if they just bring Leighton back up given that he's already under contract.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Remember that thread a month or so back when people said it was "crazy talk" that Homer would be interested in Emery and I brought up the quote in the ESPN article when he began rehab where Holmgren didn't dismiss the idea?

Yeah... about that...

I hope Emery makes a comeback, but he probably shouldn't be on a NHL roster this season.
Ever think that that article from a month ago might be what is counting here as "having expressed interest"?

I'm rather skeptical about this.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Stockholm Syndrome

Love Razor. I hope he can return to form. And if he does, I'd welcome him.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

The Phantoms are already over the veteran limit. They already have to scratch one veteran every night. Cant see it happening unless they trade/waive one or more of the vets already there. One of them would have to be Leighton.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Ever think that that article from a month ago might be what is counting here as "having expressed interest"?

I'm rather skeptical about this.
With Dreger? I doubt it.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:21 PM
decadentia

Emery clearly longs to play in the NHL again, at least that' what I took from all the articles on him. I think for his sake he should definitely play the rest of the season in the AHL in order to regain form. If he comes back and bombs, he could put himself out of the NHL permanently.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:27 PM
PhillyCurt12

i wouldnt be upset if they gave him a league minimum contract. trade carcillo/boosh for scrap metal and you have plenty of room. worst case scenario is he gets injured and bob/boosh/leighton are in net and the flyers are out 500k prorated to around 200k. might not be the best option, but there would be nearly no repercussion to giving it a shot.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Villedelphia*

So if we sign him, won't he have to go through waivers like the Nabokov ordeal?

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:35 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I'm not so sure I trust that hip of his

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote