HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TBL waives Mike Smith. Just How Good was the Richards Deal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2011, 12:52 AM
  #1
MxH0CKEY
Registered User
 
MxH0CKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
TBL waives Mike Smith. Just How Good was the Richards Deal?

Looking back at the deal now, not a single player that Dallas has sent to Tampa is still playing there. Jokinen in Carolina, Halpern in Montreal, and now Mike Smith waived. Still unsure about the 4th round pick, but that shouldn't be much of a deal. Could this be listed as one of the Stars best if not best, greatest deal they have ever made? IMO I think so.. Even if the Stars do not re-sign him(which I think they will re-sign him) if they ever to plan on dealing him out for whatever reason, they can get MAJOR assets back as he is one of the most wanted players in the league. As a Kings fan, it would be a dream come true if he would to land in LA. If only...

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 05:06 AM
  #2
Dave Karp
Registered User
 
Dave Karp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
That 4th was used to get Brian Rolston to negotiate with Tampa Bay who obviously ended up going to NJ instead. That was actually a good thing with all things considered now.

It was always a good trade for the Stars, IMO. Jussi was the toughest guy to give up and at the time, IIRC, he hadn't been fitting in that well with the style of play of the Stars. It's too bad for Mike Smith as I always thought of him to be a decent starter, likely more of a platoon guy, but serviceable.

Is this the greatest trade for Dallas? Possibly. Niinimaa for Ribs was quite the steal. And obviously Iginla for Neiuwendyk had the greatest impact. Tough to say which is the best.

As for dealing Richards. I hope Dallas deals him at the deadline if they are pretty sure they can't resign him. It will definitely impact our chances at doing well in the playoffs but it'd be much better in the long run and I'd be willing to do it. That said, I hope Dallas keeps a player of his calibre.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 05:29 AM
  #3
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
*cough*K.HatcherforZubov*cough*

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
  #4
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Yeah, I gotta go with Hatcher for Zubov as the best, Zubov meant so much to the Stars for so long. The Richards trade obviously has worked out really well for the Stars but if he (heaven forbid) leaves in the summer the Stars got a few really good years from Richards.

The Richards trade also highlights the idiocy of people trying to determine who won a trade right after it happened. These things take years to play out. It was good for the Stars from the get go, but it looked like TB at the time was getting some pieces that would help them for a while in Jokinen and Smith, mismanagement of Jokinen and injuries to Smith and Halpern made all the value for TB in that trade disappear.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:00 PM
  #5
Starsdude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
No Zubov, No Newy , no cup

that said Richards was a steal but not many clubs would take on his salary at the time

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
  #6
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk
 
Starsfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denton, TX - UNT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,111
vCash: 500
It was a good trade, but the best? not quite.

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:49 PM
  #7
Ub the Bub
Registered User
 
Ub the Bub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
...Halpern made all the value for TB in that trade disappear.
Tampa did trade Halpern for Teddy Purcell (and a pick) so it wasn't all bad for them... I mean, not really a satisfactory return for Richards but still, better than nothing.

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
  #8
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets
 
Karitimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
*cough*K.HatcherforZubov*cough*
no doubt the best to date evaluating many years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
It was a good trade, but the best? not quite.
too early to know and i agree. Jokinen may have blossomed for us like he has in carolina and it maybe was just impatience in tbay... and smith could still work out for some team someday...

this tradewill prove to be the best in team history if the stars win the cup in say the next 5 years. reason...Richards will have his fingerprints all over that conn smythe again if dallas wins in the near future IMO.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
  #9
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,200
vCash: 500
K Hatcher for Zubov. Niinimaa for Ribeiro. The Nieuwendyk deal. IMO these all rank higher for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
The Richards trade also highlights the idiocy of people trying to determine who won a trade right after it happened. These things take years to play out. It was good for the Stars from the get go, but it looked like TB at the time was getting some pieces that would help them for a while in Jokinen and Smith, mismanagement of Jokinen and injuries to Smith and Halpern made all the value for TB in that trade disappear.
I agree and I disagree. I agree because yes, you need some time to let things percolate after a deal is made to see how things shake out. I disagree because trades are made at a point in time dealing with extant variables. Given the type of trade Tampa was making, moving a player's salary and not making a strictly hockey trade, they actually got a decent haul, especially considering that the player they were moving had a full NTC.

This deal was always going to hinge on Mike Smith. Unfortunately for him and for Tampa the injuries were just too much to overcome. If Tampa erred on their end it was in trading the wrong '98 drafted player.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 04:37 PM
  #10
StarsFan74
Registered User
 
StarsFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: India
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
This deal was always going to hinge on Mike Smith. Unfortunately for him and for Tampa the injuries were just too much to overcome.
Injuries aside, TB was never able to provide the kind of defense Smith benefited from in Dallas.

Quote:
If Tampa erred on their end it was in trading the wrong '98 drafted player.
Yes, it all looks so crystal clear now , but do remember Lecavalier had a 40 goal, 92 point season that year. Richards was the guy they had to move simply because he was the most expensive player that year in terms of points earned per dollar (51 points over 62 games @$116,000 per point)

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:58 PM
  #11
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Injuries aside, TB was never able to provide the kind of defense Smith benefited from in Dallas.


Yes, it all looks so crystal clear now , but do remember Lecavalier had a 40 goal, 92 point season that year. Richards was the guy they had to move simply because he was the most expensive player that year in terms of points earned per dollar (51 points over 62 games @$116,000 per point)
The lack of a decent defense in front of Smith in Tampa definitely didn't help during his time there.

Yeah, I realize hindsight is 20/20 but that's kind of the point of this thread? It's not as if prior to 07-08 Lecavalier had been the picture of consistency either. By having to trade one of their core players and well on their way to a top 3 pick it was clear their time to win big again wasn't in the very near future. They could have chosen to trade the guy coming off a 50 goal, 100 point season for a more substantial haul. Brad didn't have to be the guy; at the time it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he would in fact be the odd man out there as I recall.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:59 PM
  #12
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 32,014
vCash: 3722
When judging which trades were the "best" for a given team, why should what the players who were sent away eventually went on to do matter at all?

There's a difference between the "best" trades, and the trades your team "won" by the biggest margin.

The resulting incompetence/bad luck of Tampa doesn't change anything about the singular transaction.

The Richards and Nieuwendyk trades could never be considered deals that the Stars "won" the most because in both instances they parted with what turned out to be an above-average NHL player. In that sense they don't hold a candle to the Zubov and Ribeiro trades. In terms of what benefited the Stars the most, and was therefore the "best", the Richards trade does indeed belong in the conversation even if he doesn't re-sign and the Stars get nothing. For it to truly be at the top of that category though he's going to have to lead the team to additional playoff success.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.