HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2011, 11:59 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
He had 6 (1 empty net) goals his first 14 games. 3 in the last 28. None in the last 13 He does not have the talent to play with richards. You really are misguided by what you think Nodl does. Each has their own opinion though.

Nodl has shown 1 decent stretch of putting pucks into the net, not some real glimpses.
^^ This. He is a plug, always has been and seems even if he plays with the top line, always will be.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
i remember that signing. All they could do was say what a fast skater. Brad jones and al conroy are 2 of my most despised flyers ever.
Ha ha Al Conroy....horrible!

I also wasn't a fan of Mark Pederson.....

BTW didn't we have another joke player..Evans?

Old
02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
He had 6 (1 empty net) goals his first 14 games. 3 in the last 28. None in the last 13 He does not have the talent to play with richards. You really are misguided by what you think Nodl does. Each has their own opinion though.

Nodl has shown 1 decent stretch of putting pucks into the net, not some real glimpses.
I am not aiming for Nodl to score 20 goals a season, but if he can play within his game and know his role my point is his value can be extremely high when in the playoffs more focus is needed to play defense than to rely on scoring 4.5 goals a game. His offense will come off of solid defense.

Keeping the opposing forward off the scoreboard increases this teams chance of victory in the playoffs, not trying to outscore them in a pond hockey game. It seems as though Laviolette is going to use Richards as the matchup center, if that is the case I want a guy like Nodl on one wing and another solid two-way player on the opposite wing.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:13 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Ha ha Al Conroy....horrible!

I also wasn't a fan of Mark Pederson.....

BTW didn't we have another joke player..Evans?
doug evans 92-93. I remember he scored in his first game against the pens, as i was in college in pittsburgh at the time. pens fans were a joke then as well.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

What teams do you think would be trading during the deadline? Esp with players that would make out team better....

Old
02-03-2011, 12:17 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
I am not aiming for Nodl to score 20 goals a season, but if he can play within his game and know his role my point is his value can be extremely high when in the playoffs more focus is needed to play defense than to rely on scoring 4.5 goals a game. His offense will come off of solid defense.

Keeping the opposing forward off the scoreboard increases this teams chance of victory in the playoffs, not trying to outscore them in a pond hockey game. It seems as though Laviolette is going to use Richards as the matchup center, if that is the case I want a guy like Nodl on one wing and another solid two-way player on the opposite wing.

Playing within his game is the 4th line. His value isnít extremely high no matter how you want to try and slice it. He has no hands to capitalize on those chances, he has little to no offensive instincts. Nodl is a spare part. Period. They need to upgrade his spot. That is a fact. They would be that much more better and dangerous when they do. Nodl is not that great of this defensive player you make him out to be.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
doug evans 92-93. I remember he scored in his first game against the pens, as i was in college in pittsburgh at the time. pens fans were a joke then as well.
Yeah he was another mighty might that showed glimpses and then disappeared altogether...

Those late 80's and early 90's were painful times. Flyers were so desperate for offense while teams like Detroit were forward thinking with the game as far as speed and Euro players. The Flyers were resistent and behind the times and would try to pick up the occassional speed player like a Bullard, Jones, Recchi (best one) etc. but it was always as a fill in strategy and not as part of an overall larger strategy of team speed. The Legion of Doom with Renberg got us out of the funk for a bit but then we ran into faster teams like Detroit and Buffalo.....

Old
02-03-2011, 12:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Wellwood is not ready to play at the NHL level, he is struggling at the AHL level. Nodl has gained the respect of Laviolette with his play, thus why he continues to get significant minutes alongside Richards.
Wait...what? Not true at all. I dont agree with calling up Wellwood, but struggling is 100% false.

That being said, I am on the side of picking someone else up, and putting Nodl on the 4th line. He cant play on a scoring line. Fact. He cant score goals. I think his defensive abilities are even being overblown abit here. He is alright in the defensive zone, which makes him usefull on the pk. Other then that, he doesnt bring much sadly. It does seem like he just had a hot streak in the beginning. Him playing solid defensively shouldnt warrent him time on Richards line, which is considered a scoring line.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:26 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I want - ANTTI MIETTINEN @ $2,333,333 per....

I'd send carcillo and betts. Let Powe take draws and then the 4th becomes
Shelley/Powe/Nodl.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Playing within his game is the 4th line. His value isnít extremely high no matter how you want to try and slice it. He has no hands to capitalize on those chances, he has little to no offensive instincts. Nodl is a spare part. Period. They need to upgrade his spot. That is a fact. They would be that much more better and dangerous when they do. Nodl is not that great of this defensive player you make him out to be.
If you could morph Zherdev and Nodl into one player it would be the best for everyone, call him Gagne without the flash. Problem is Laviolette's gameplan focuses on the defensive aspect of positioning, transition, and forecheck. Problem is he has two players who lacko one ability or the other, given the choices of to be more defensive minded or to take your chances with a guy who might produce a couple goals but be a defensive liability it has to be to focus on the defensive side of the game in the playoffs.

Imagine this...

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Gagne-Richards-Downie
JvR-Giroux-Carter
Nodl-Betts-Carcillo

Old
02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wait...what? Not true at all. I dont agree with calling up Wellwood, but struggling is 100% false.

That being said, I am on the side of picking someone else up, and putting Nodl on the 4th line. He cant play on a scoring line. Fact. He cant score goals. I think his defensive abilities are even being overblown abit here. He is alright in the defensive zone, which makes him usefull on the pk. Other then that, he doesnt bring much sadly. It does seem like he just had a hot streak in the beginning. Him playing solid defensively shouldnt warrent him time on Richards line, which is considered a scoring line.
Is it though? Of our three scoring lines, his is the most defensively reliable. His situation now is more akin to a 4th liner filling in on the third line, than him doing so on the first line. At least that's my take. The fact that our third line scores as much as it does makes it look like Nodl is so badly out of place. He's really just a fourth liner playing on a really, really sick third line, so he looks more out of place than he ought to.

At least that's my thought on it.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

IF some change is not made to address issues like matching up against TB this team is prime for an early exit in the playoffs. Scoring more goals is not the answer, Richards is going to be used more as a "checking center" in the playoffs as shown by Laviolette's handling of his lineup against the Blackhawks. People focus too much on having eight, ten, twelve 20 goal scorers in the lineup and lose focus that preventing the goals is as, if not more, important than scoring goals.

Old
02-03-2011, 12:54 PM
jb**

Quote:
If you could morph Zherdev and Nodl into one player it would be the best for everyone, call him Gagne without the flash. Problem is Laviolette's gameplan focuses on the defensive aspect of positioning, transition, and forecheck. Problem is he has two players who lacko one ability or the other, given the choices of to be more defensive minded or to take your chances with a guy who might produce a couple goals but be a defensive liability it has to be to focus on the defensive side of the game in the playoffs.

Imagine this...

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Gagne-Richards-Downie
JvR-Giroux-Carter
Nodl-Betts-Carcillo
you are so overrating nodl's defensive abilities i cant help but laugh. The will address the winger situation if the right deal is there to be made. I will take zherdev anyday over nodl in the playoffs. zherdev has the possibility to win you a game on his own. Nodl does not. You are not going to win a game because of nodl's defense or lose a game because of a lack of defesne from zherdev imo..

Old
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
jb**

Quote:
IF some change is not made to address issues like matching up against TB this team is prime for an early exit in the playoffs. Scoring more goals is not the answer, Richards is going to be used more as a "checking center" in the playoffs as shown by Laviolette's handling of his lineup against the Blackhawks. People focus too much on having eight, ten, twelve 20 goal scorers in the lineup and lose focus that preventing the goals is as, if not more, important than scoring goals.
disagree, people just realize that nodl isnt that good.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Is it though? Of our three scoring lines, his is the most defensively reliable. His situation now is more akin to a 4th liner filling in on the third line, than him doing so on the first line. At least that's my take. The fact that our third line scores as much as it does makes it look like Nodl is so badly out of place. He's really just a fourth liner playing on a really, really sick third line, so he looks more out of place than he ought to.

At least that's my thought on it.
I agree with you completely.

Right now the Richards line is our third line. It the best third line in the league.

Nodl is absolutely fine where he is.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
you are so overrating nodl's defensive abilities i cant help but laugh. The will address the winger situation if the right deal is there to be made. I will take zherdev anyday over nodl in the playoffs. zherdev has the possibility to win you a game on his own. Nodl does not. You are not going to win a game because of nodl's defense or lose a game because of a lack of defesne from zherdev imo..
This is where we disagree, which is fine. I love the depth of the Flyers but think they have a tendency to not play chippy enough and lack the ability to stay focused defensively from the fwds. If they did replace Nodl with an upgrade I know it would still work, but only time will tell if this team really is made for Lord Stanleys Cup.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I agree with you completely.

Right now the Richards line is our third line. It the best third line in the league.

Nodl is absolutely fine where he is.
Now imagine if you were able to put a guy like Cole on the opposite wing?? That is pretty darn good.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:19 PM
jb**

Quote:
This is where we disagree, which is fine. I love the depth of the Flyers but think they have a tendency to not play chippy enough and lack the ability to stay focused defensively from the fwds. If they did replace Nodl with an upgrade I know it would still work, but only time will tell if this team really is made for Lord Stanleys Cup.
nodl doesnt play chippy at all.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I dont think anyone should be resigned to the fact that just because we have the top team in the East right now everything is fine. this team does have its flaws.
While we may be buyers at the deadline it may be tough to find a suiter in what we are looking for. Cole is nice and everything but he isnt going anywhere I dont believe. Maybe that changes if Carolina starts sliding but if they do his price will certianly go up. I am not sold on Calgary at all, so maybe a guy like Glenncross would be a better( and cheaper) option. But again that might be something we will have to wait on as their recent run as given them a small glimmer of hope.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:

Imagine this...

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Gagne-Richards-Downie
JvR-Giroux-Carter
Nodl-Betts-Carcillo
I prefer the team we have. And it wouldn't be possible with Downie and Gagne still in the lineup.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:37 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I dont think anyone should be resigned to the fact that just because we have the top team in the East right now everything is fine. this team does have its flaws.
While we may be buyers at the deadline it may be tough to find a suiter in what we are looking for. Cole is nice and everything but he isnt going anywhere I dont believe. Maybe that changes if Carolina starts sliding but if they do his price will certianly go up. I am not sold on Calgary at all, so maybe a guy like Glenncross would be a better( and cheaper) option. But again that might be something we will have to wait on as their recent run as given them a small glimmer of hope.
Too many teams are still hanging around. They might want to try to take a run and not move some guys. Or the price may be too high. Florida you hope falls on their face(as well as a few other teams) as they have a few quality guys who would fit in nice on this team. There are only a handful of true sellers. You need to look at those teams and what relationship they have with the flyers. If they had only kept Pat Maroon.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
nodl doesnt play chippy at all.

He's outmuscled more frequently than anyone on the team.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I prefer the team we have. And it wouldn't be possible with Downie and Gagne still in the lineup.
Well the back end of this would be that the original trade for Eminger never happened, which means we in theory could have had Carlson instead of Carle on the defense. So in that case the salaries would fit, and that team would be a much better squad than what we have to offer right now, basically replacing Zherdev and Nodl with Gagne and Downie.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
He's outmuscled more frequently than anyone on the team.
That is flat out wrong, there are a number of guys who get pushed off the puck more often than Nodl.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
That is flat out wrong, there are a number of guys who get pushed off the puck more often than Nodl.

No it's not and no there isn't. You've got to be blind or you just don't watch.

Closed Thread