HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ray Emery signed with Anaheim

Old
02-03-2011, 12:35 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
I'd love to get him back. He is way better than Leighton and as long as he's healthy I think he's better than Boosh. Get him in the AHL and see what he can do.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
So if we sign him, won't he have to go through waivers like the Nabokov ordeal?
No, he hasn't played in another non North American League after the start of regular season, like Nabokov did.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:37 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
So if we sign him, won't he have to go through waivers like the Nabokov ordeal?
A player only goes on waivers when he started professional play that season in a different league. This applied for Nabokov, but won't for Emery.

Don't quote me on that though.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
No, he hasn't played in another non North American League after the start of regular season, like Nabokov did.
Oh ok thanks, good to know.

edit: you too chaos

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
A player only goes on waivers when he started professional play that season in a different league. This applied for Nabokov, but won't for Emery.

Don't quote me on that though.
You're right. Forsberg is in the same boat. You only have to clear waivers if you play in Europe after the NHL regular season begins.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Haute Couturier

Only the Flyers would be looking into a goalie with a bum hip who hasn't played in a year to backstop them to a championship.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Get Razor back in the Organization so the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation can have its only link to the hood!

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Mgkibbles

I just don't know how Emery could be a #1 NHL goalie again after that hip injury, but if hes healthy, and close to his old self I'd certainly want him back.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Get Razor back in the Organization so the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation can have its only link to the hood!
Briere doesn't cut it? I would've thought the midget ghost had massive amounts of street cred.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Briere doesn't cut it? I would've thought the midget ghost had massive amounts of street cred.
You must've missed the whole.. RayRay is black thing..

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Did the Flyers pay the bills for all the medical procedures done because of his condition? If so, it'd be nice if he signed for dirty cheap (to the AHL or NHL) to thank the Flyers for their concern and support.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Did the Flyers pay the bills for all the medical procedures done because of his condition? If so, it'd be nice if he signed for dirty cheap (to the AHL or NHL) to thank the Flyers for their concern and support.
That's a great question. It would have been insurance, but ...
He was under contract with the Flyers when treatment started. At the same time, being a degenerative condition, the Flyers' insurance carrier could have tried to weasel out of it (maybe?). I'd guess the Flyers insurance premiums went up this season thanks in part to paying for Emery's hip.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
i'm sure insurance covered his medical stuff.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:07 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'd love to get him back. He is way better than Leighton and as long as he's healthy I think he's better than Boosh. Get him in the AHL and see what he can do.
Hell, if he's 100% healthy he's better than Leighton, Boucher, OR Bobrovsky. But that's a hell of a big "if".

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:27 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i'm sure insurance covered his medical stuff.
But do the Flyers provide that insurance or is he paying out of pocket? As Murph said, he's under contract when he had it. Guess it depends on the terms of the contract.

Cause to insure a hockey player can't be cheap, and he wasn't playing, so he wasn't making any money. I honestly am leaning toward that the Flyers covered him. Although from the Flyers stand point, that's the right and ethical thing to do.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
But do the Flyers provide that insurance or is he paying out of pocket? As Murph said, he's under contract when he had it. Guess it depends on the terms of the contract.

Cause to insure a hockey player can't be cheap, and he wasn't playing, so he wasn't making any money. I honestly am leaning toward that the Flyers covered him. Although from the Flyers stand point, that's the right and ethical thing to do.
I mean, I'm not sure how insurance for NHL players works. I wouldn't be shocked if it's a pooled system under the entire NHL... or team specific... either way, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that big a deal as it's an already sunken cost. It isn't like the Flyers were dealing with non-insured surgery and the like.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:43 PM
mm6492

We all remember how our goalies got hurt last year, wouldn't be bad option to have in the AHL as I do not want to see Leighton agin.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:46 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
dont hate on the ESYHF

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
jb**

Quote:
I mean, I'm not sure how insurance for NHL players works. I wouldn't be shocked if it's a pooled system under the entire NHL... or team specific... either way, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that big a deal as it's an already sunken cost. It isn't like the Flyers were dealing with non-insured surgery and the like.
cobra, he was unemployed lol

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:50 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Agreed that he is better than Leighton. I don't know that I agree that he is better than this season's Boucher. When all is said and done, Emery is more likely to pull a Michael Leighton in the Stanley Cup Finals (See Sens vs. Ducks - Emery let some blue line shots in that just made me cringe when I heard we signed him the first time).

Everyone on here can give Boucher the short end of the stick but same thing happened to Tim Thomas - (I know Boucher is not as good as Timmy boy this year by any means) but point is, if he's playing well for you and winning you games, keep him around on that basis not on the intangible stuff like projected skillset, i.e. Tukka (who I am sure will steal the #1 spot back from a veteran, bruised up Thomas one day...ONE DAY). Emery is no good for our team, he was Biron 2.0 just as Biron was Esche 2.0. Progressively better than the inconsistent goal tender before them but not good enough to get you out of game 7 with the big prize.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:52 PM
JABEE

Can Emery sign a two-way deal?

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:54 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I know, but figure how much does hip surgery cost out of pocket when your insurance covers it? Plus nearly a year of rehab, maybe 5 days a week. I can't imagine it's cheap.

Old
02-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Can Emery sign a two-way deal?
Sure, but it doesn't help with anything but money, which isn't a problem at all.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
I know, but figure how much does hip surgery cost out of pocket when your insurance covers it? Plus nearly a year of rehab, maybe 5 days a week. I can't imagine it's cheap.
I would wager the health insurance the NHL puts down for removes all out of pocket expenses... they would get nickel and dimed to death given all the medical stuff through the year. You're right that their insurance payments are probably expensive, but I'm not sure the Flyers particularly care... or that it would be specific to the Flyers to the point that Ray Emery could conceivably be in a position where he owed 'em anything.

Old
02-03-2011, 03:34 PM
flountown

I understand that people have concerns about his hip, but don't write him off so easily, professional athletes are freaks of nature when it comes to healing, especially when you can concentrate 100% on that healing. It's not like these guys work a soul crushing 9-5, then do PT once a week with a random doctor/trainer. Their sole job is to work 9-5 on recovering with doctors who are considered the best in the business...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote