HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Steve Mason on the block??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2011, 10:58 AM
  #26
Makaveli
Registered User
 
Makaveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 2,174
vCash: 500
Can Voracek play left wing

Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
  #27
oXo Cube
Termite
 
oXo Cube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In your closet
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
I think it would be a pretty big risk for a team to give up a lot of value for him. For that reason, I would tend to think he stays in Columbus.

oXo Cube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
  #28
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,878
vCash: 500
Love Mason but from a Leafs fans perspective, I'd pass knowing what they likely ask for. Mason has struggled for quite a while now and teams know this and probably think now's the time to swoop in and snag him for cheap which is exactly why the Jackets should hold onto him. There's almost no market for goalies anymore, they hold little value and 99% of the time your better off just keeping them especially one's who had so much success so early like Mason. I could see probably 2 or 3 serious suitors for him. Chicago and San Jose would seem like good fits.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
  #29
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Love Mason but from a Leafs fans perspective, I'd pass knowing what they likely ask for. Mason has struggled for quite a while now and teams know this and probably think now's the time to swoop in and snag him for cheap which is exactly why the Jackets should hold onto him. There's almost no market for goalies anymore, they hold little value and 99% of the time your better off just keeping them especially one's who had so much success so early like Mason. I could see probably 2 or 3 serious suitors for him. Chicago and San Jose would seem like good fits.
NJ, Toronto, Ottawa, TB would all be better fits then Chicago and SJ. No surprise, there all in the East.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
  #30
straka91*
 
straka91*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,499
vCash: 500
Wonder if Det or Philly is talking to CBJ. I think those are the only teams that have the resources to aquire him.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
  #31
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
Raycroft 2.0 that has rumored attitude problems? i dont think there would be a lot of interest

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
  #32
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
How'd that last Blue Jackets goalie to Ottawa trade work out?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:24 AM
  #33
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
NJ, Toronto, Ottawa, TB would all be better fits then Chicago and SJ. No surprise, there all in the East.
Well all of the teams you and I mentioned have had piss poor goaltending for a while now so I'll agree they'd be interested as well as the Sharks and Hawks. I know in Toronto we probably wouldn't because a)Columbus would want a good young player like a Schenn or Kadri and b) we've already got a number of good young goalies in our system so trading for Mason likely doesn't do much for us.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
  #34
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,296
vCash: 1210
I'd kill for the Avs to get this guy. I know how bad he can be at times, but he fits perfectly with the Avs plans for the future.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
  #35
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...
 
MHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How'd that last Blue Jackets goalie to Ottawa trade work out?
We'd rather not talk about it...

Mind you, the 2nd round pick that came with Leclaire did enable us to draft Lehner.

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
  #36
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Well all of the teams you and I mentioned have had piss poor goaltending for a while now so I'll agree they'd be interested as well as the Sharks and Hawks. I know in Toronto we probably wouldn't because a)Columbus would want a good young player like a Schenn or Kadri and b) we've already got a number of good young goalies in our system so trading for Mason likely doesn't do much for us.
Chicago's goalie Corey Crawford has a 2.19 GAA and a 919%, I wouldn't call that piss poor. It's actually quite good.

I actually think Columbus would want someone how can help right now. I could see Toronto shipping Kaberle for Mason with other pieces involved.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:41 AM
  #37
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 50
Who and why would anybody want Steve Mason? The dude has been terrible, and he is one of the biggest, if not the biggest reason Columbus is on the outside looking in, once again.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
  #38
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
ZERO value at the moment.

The kid needs to work on his mindset and game preparation in the summer. It seems that he's been called up too early, like so many BJs before him, and he is now ruined.

Columbus really needs to work on their player development. Not every player is a bulletproof, self-starting superstar like Rick Nash.

Either that or they need to somehow aquire more bulletproof, self-starting superstars like Rick Nash.
Seriously? I know Columbus sucks, but there isn't a team in the league that would have sent Mason down in his rookie year.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
  #39
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I'd have no problem dealing him. This organization has never had success with waiting for players to hit their potential. If someone wants him and his 3.2 million, deal him. I know he's still got a bright future, but I'm not sure he can get there with us, and if you can get an asset back you have to pull the trigger.
What will it take from the sens to get him? Everyone except Karlsson and this years first is in play.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
  #40
Matt Foley
Living in a van
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Down by the river
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
Raycroft 2.0 that has rumored attitude problems? i dont think there would be a lot of interest
All it takes is one GM out of 29 who thinks he can turn Mason around.

That said, a change of scenery might be best for Mase.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:49 AM
  #41
BoobaFett
Registered User
 
BoobaFett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dorchester, Ma
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
The Blue Jackets destroy goalies

BoobaFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:51 AM
  #42
Dickie Greenleaf
 
Dickie Greenleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Seriously?
Unless he was basically given away, I wouldn't have much interest. He was never considered a top-flight talent. Bernier was always considered the better prospect and was somewhat unjustly blamed for that loss against Sweden in the WJC. Then Mason was handed the starting job. Mason won and got all the props.
Then Mason came in and set the league on fire for his first couuple months (under Hitchcock, I might add), but his whole season wasn't so great. It was just boosted because his first two months were SO strong. Once the book is out on a goalie, they need to adapt quickly because coaches can study tape, and pinpoint weaknesses. Mason has never been able to adapt and I don't think he ever will. This isn't a Carey Price-esque goalie. He simply was never considered to have THAT high a ceiling and the calder was likely the anomalie, not everything that has followed.

Dickie Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
  #43
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie Greenleaf View Post
Seriously?
Unless he was basically given away, I wouldn't have much interest. He was never considered a top-flight talent. Bernier was always considered the better prospect and was somewhat unjustly blamed for that loss against Sweden in the WJC. Then Mason was handed the starting job. Mason won and got all the props.
Then Mason came in and set the league on fire for his first couuple months (under Hitchcock, I might add), but his whole season wasn't so great. It was just boosted because his first two months were SO strong. Once the book is out on a goalie, they need to adapt quickly because coaches can study tape, and pinpoint weaknesses. Mason has never been able to adapt and I don't think he ever will. This isn't a Carey Price-esque goalie. He simply was never considered to have THAT high a ceiling and the calder was likely the anomalie, not everything that has followed.
Not true he has incredible intangibles he is big has great mobility and technique. Technically very very strong its his mental game right now. He is so young goalies usually take a while his talent isnt the question its his current mind set he has lost his confidence he will be back.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
  #44
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
He's not on the block.

Teams have inquired about his avalibility, it happens all the time. It doesn't mean he's on the block.

Could he be traded? Sure,
but I can't see it happening. Their goaltending depth is weak. They need defensive help for Mason, they don't need to deal him.
I agree. Same likely goes for Voracek. Not on the block, but if a crazy offer is made those guys could be moved. Still doubtful they get moved, imo.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:04 PM
  #45
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Toronto is interested. ..
Yeah trade him to toronto

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:13 PM
  #46
Canuck and Bills Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 205
vCash: 500
With Smith just getting waived and he was the key piece in the Richards deal is this not wired timing to shop Mason? He has started playing a little bit better of late but what would he garner in a trade? A 3rd and maybe a prospect or is this a way of Columbus trying to make a package of mishandled talent Filatov and Mason a system like NJ or heck even OTT would be an awesome fit!

Canuck and Bills Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
  #47
odishabs
Registered User
 
odishabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
to CLB: 2nd round pick and Mike Fisher
to OTT: Steve Mason

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
  #48
Jesus Toews*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Davis, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,886
vCash: 500
Could something around Heatley for Voracek work?

To CBJ:
2011 1st rounder
Dany Heatley
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

To SJ:
Jakub Voracek
Fedor Tyutin

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
  #49
Devil X
Next man up!
 
Devil X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bergen County
Country: United States
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devil X
I would gladly take a chance on the kid. He is 23 years old and just needs to re-focus. I would love for Lou to take a chance. This kid would come here work under and with Marty for as long a Marty is playing. Marty would help him get his mind straight if that's and issue.

Not to mention this is a good chance for Marty to get into coaching because he can keep working with kid after he retires. By the time he is 25 or 26 a more mature age for a goalie to really kick it into his potential he will be starting.

I think if the price isn't to high and i were Lou looking to the future i would be all over this chance if its true.

No one can deny the kid has talent and is very athletic, which is a very good thing in goalies.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
  #50
Dogkota
Registered User
 
Dogkota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
Could something around Heatley for Voracek work?

To CBJ:
2011 1st rounder
Dany Heatley
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

To SJ:
Jakub Voracek
Fedor Tyutin
I don't think Columbus would hesitate for even a second if that trade was proposed.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.