HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do sticks with higher flex break easier?

Old
03-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
a little OT, but i know if you cut a stick, it increases the flex. let's say you extend the wood piece in an ultra lite, would that decrease the flex?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
a little OT, but i know if you cut a stick, it increases the flex. let's say you extend the wood piece in an ultra lite, would that decrease the flex?
Yes it would.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:25 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Just to expand on this... I have been using ST's 100 flexes for years with good results in both feel and durability. (I shorten the shaft an inch and a half so the flex is probably around 115).

I decided to test a lighter flex, and cheaped out and bought a Easton SE model. It is a 85 flex, cut the same way, so probably around a 100 flex now.

So...my results are not perfect, because I went from a high end stick built for durability and power to a lower end stick built for a fast release. But results do have some merit.

The SE's blade got soft very fast, if I twist it with my hands I can hear the fibers creaking. The shaft lost it's spring quickly too.

My conclusion, the SE is not for me, and I should not have tried to save a buck. The lower flex stick with the limited duability equaled into a stick that
had no durability and much less accuracy, even when new.
Actually, the SE is a "higher" end model, albeit an older version. Keep in mind that higher performance typically means lesser durability.

Basically from lowest to highest(All are "Top of the line":
Original Synergy => Synergy ST
Synergy SL(superlight) => Synergy SE => Synergy SE16
Original Stealth(05) => Stealth CNT => Stealth S17 => Stealth S19

There will be an update to the SE16 appearing in the NHL in the playoffs and/or next season.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Actually, the SE is a "higher" end model, albeit an older version. Keep in mind that higher performance typically means lesser durability.

There will be an update to the SE16 appearing in the NHL in the playoffs and/or next season.

Mine was a SE2 or something. Definitely low end, with a price to match. Under $100 CND.

At this point, for a guy who plays the way and as often as I do, the ST is the only stick worth my money now.

Hell, I chopped my broken ST, flipped it and stuck on a ST replacement blade and that was better then the SE I have....

But another ST is in my future.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 06:10 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Mine was a SE2 or something. Definitely low end, with a price to match. Under $100 CND.

At this point, for a guy who plays the way and as often as I do, the ST is the only stick worth my money now.

Hell, I chopped my broken ST, flipped it and stuck on a ST replacement blade and that was better then the SE I have....

But another ST is in my future.
Ohhh ok, SE and SE6(?) are COMPLETELY different! You can't really refer to that stick as the "SE" because that was another model of stick.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:50 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

I broke my Easton S13 like two days after first reading this thread, so everybody be careful, thread MAY be cursed..

Anyway, it was an 85 flex and the way it broke is what you need to be careful about with whippier sticks. It didn't break on the initial flex of the shot, but on the follow through. As the shaft whipped, it over whipped and snapped on the follow through. Long story short, I'm using a stiffer stick now

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
I broke my Easton S13 like two days after first reading this thread, so everybody be careful, thread MAY be cursed..

Anyway, it was an 85 flex and the way it broke is what you need to be careful about with whippier sticks. It didn't break on the initial flex of the shot, but on the follow through. As the shaft whipped, it over whipped and snapped on the follow through. Long story short, I'm using a stiffer stick now
s13's are pure dust. that's why it broke.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:45 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
s13's are pure dust. that's why it broke.
Truth. Stick was so bad, I broke the toe of the blade after like the first week. That stick was nothing but problems and I recommend it to nobody

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post

Today it looked like my lhs pulled out a blue synergy stealth cnt bc it had a bunch of dust on it. where would it fall under? it was priced at 99.99 in the curve I like but the 100 flex belt like 80.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Today it looked like my lhs pulled out a blue synergy stealth cnt bc it had a bunch of dust on it. where would it fall under? it was priced at 99.99 in the curve I like but the 100 flex belt like 80.
Buy it and sell it to Mike Green for a few thousand $$. I think those were the sticks he used till the very last drop.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:22 AM
ponder

I only use whip flex (75-77) and regular flex (85-87) sticks. I prefer the whip flex by a good margin for shooting, but I also tend to break them much easier. Not saying this is a general rule, but it's definitely been my experience that whippier sticks break more easily. I'm pretty sure the reason you never see senio sticks go below a 75 flex is that they simply would break too easily, 75 is already pushing it.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
CNT's were the old Stealth, excellent sticks, whippy but light and great kick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:26 PM
StrykerB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I only use whip flex (75-77) and regular flex (85-87) sticks. I prefer the whip flex by a good margin for shooting, but I also tend to break them much easier. Not saying this is a general rule, but it's definitely been my experience that whippier sticks break more easily. I'm pretty sure the reason you never see senio sticks go below a 75 flex is that they simply would break too easily, 75 is already pushing it.
I have been using a 60 flex TotalOne intermediate stick since September with no problems and I'm 195lbs. Just to note, I play centre and the stick is getting pretty beat up from all the faceoffs. Only take snapshots and wristers. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself though.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:24 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
I have been using a 60 flex TotalOne intermediate stick since September with no problems and I'm 195lbs. Just to note, I play centre and the stick is getting pretty beat up from all the faceoffs. Only take snapshots and wristers. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself though.
Thanks for sharing! Since I started playing center again I have broken two sticks (the other centermen fell on one though!)

My winger is pretty aggressive and his stick has lasted him two years, a few years ago he was the captain of the local Junior A team so he uses his stick to it's full potential.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I never noticed a difference in my shot from a 85 flex or a 100 flex so I kept with the 100 flex.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
How'd you get a 60 flex INT T1? extension plug?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Total One intermediates are sold in 60, 67, and 75 flex at retail and through Bauer customization.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:29 PM
umpft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I'm 6ft 4in and 240-245 lbs and use a 100 flex, anything less than that is too whippy.
I totally believe you. I am currently playing with a RBK 4k, which has an 85 flex. Oh, I'm new to the game.

I weight 100 lbs less, I'm reasonably fit and I am suspecting that I can't flex it enough.

Sometimes, I get some "hard" wrist shots and it feels like a bow, but I don't know why. I suspect it is the point on the blade where i press it on the ice, or my body weight pressing on top...

Anyway, I use an 85 flex, I've been using it the whole season (I'd say I've been on the ice around 60 times) and people have been chipping away at it, but it seems to work fine, although there are no edges on the lower part of the shaft anymore.

Now that I've jinxed it, I'm sure I'll break it tomorrow.

umpft is offline   Reply With Quote