HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - 2/2/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2011, 01:36 PM
  #76
outofrange
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 740
vCash: 500
While some may ***** about the way that Drew acted last night I thought it was fantastic. He's trying to get himself going on a long road trip that is going to make or break the season and if he needs to be louder and a little wilder for his **** to start clicking then so be it.

His anger had little to do with Hall, I think.

I want to also add that JMFJ is SO FREAKING GOOD that I'm thrilled he will be a King for seven years or more. His play is so much simpler and better that it's crazy how far he has come this season. Quick was also the man last night no doubt.

Lol remember during the Olympics where Drew said that Pronger was his idol and that he was happy that he was rooming with him? He's also buddies with Richards and the Flyers gang and it seems to be rubbing off on him. I wonder what kind of pointers Pronger gave him because he came back a meaner player for sure.....

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:37 PM
  #77
Rod Buskas*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I love the thought that Of Doughty becoming the player that all the other team's fans love to hate - but would kill to have on their team. When he reaches that status it means he's doing it right.

Offensive prowess + defensive prowess + mean streak = WIN.
exactly. We have a enough tin men on our team (including our captain). I'm glad doughty's becoming a complete ***** to play against ala Pronger. It's a beautiful thing.

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
  #78
outofrange
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
exactly. We have a enough tin men on our team (including our captain). I'm glad doughty's becoming a complete ***** to play against ala Pronger. It's a beautiful thing.
Seriously. And is it really a coincidence that his mean streak really started after the Olympics? He roomed with Pronger and said in interviews that Pronger is a role model for him so......

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
  #79
ibleedkings
Is this real?
 
ibleedkings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Quartz Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 500
Yup Doughty credited with the 2 goals. Glad Kopi came out with an assist.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
  #80
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,316
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
So now the LA Kings Twitter is saying that the 2 first goals will be credited to Doughty instead of Smyth. Doughty with 2 last night and Johnson with 1..
Sounds good, will also end Kopitar's drought. We need the defense to step up like that every night.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
  #81
Rod Buskas*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Sounds good, will also end Kopitar's drought. We need the defense to step up like that every night.
Other than Nashville, I don't think there is any team in the league right now that has 2 defenseman that can make as much of an impact like Jack and Drew can. In fact, they may be even MORE dangerous than Weber/Suter since Weber is not as good as carrying the puck as the other 3.

I really think/hope Jack & Drew take charge on this road trip and lead us to a playoff spot. I think they are definitely capable.

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:34 PM
  #82
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofrange View Post
I want to also add that JMFJ is SO FREAKING GOOD that I'm thrilled he will be a King for seven years or more. His play is so much simpler and better that it's crazy how far he has come this season.
Seriously - that play he made last night where he finessed the puck out from under Quick in the crease and cleared it high in the air was amazing. No panic, just deliberate correct decision making.

I've done a lot of auto road racing in the past - I can think of MANY times when **** was happening all around me, especially at the start of a race, and it seems like time slows down, allowing split-second decisions to be made. Most bizarre feeling ever. That's the zone Johnson seems to be in, and it's a good place to be in a game that moves so fast.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:06 PM
  #83
nocturn
Registered User
 
nocturn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Col. Hgts, Virginny
Country: Ireland
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Anyone know where I can get the hi-res this?:





It has desktop backround written all over it.

Cant find it at http://cdn.nhl.com


Thx

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
  #84
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Who are the tin men you speak of?

This team has heart, that is not the problem with our roster right now. Very rarely can we say anybody on this roster isn't giving 110%. There may have been some concerns about Doughty and Simmonds but beyond that, who on this team doesn't play with heart?

Brown is never going to be a fighter, wish people would just realize that, it's not his game, criticizing Dustin Brown for not taking himself off the ice for 5 minutes is like criticizing Scuderi for not scoring enough.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
  #85
AStammer7*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Kings Need Big Win In Calgary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
We never play well vs. Calgary, hopefully Saturday is different, we really need those 2 points
It goes without saying that the Los Angeles Kings have struggled with the Calgary Flames. Even during the Gretzky and Robitaille era the Kings had their fair share of trouble toppling the Flames. Saturday nite though I see a different team that might emerge...If the Kings can roll out four lines and hit the Flames they might have a chance. First off though they must contain Jerome Iginla who has been a Kings killer! Having done that the Kings need to have a stellar game from their top 7 players(Kopitar,Doughty,Johnson,Quick,Smyth,Willia ms,Stoll) and have solid efforts by the rest. The Kings will need to have all 20 on board for a victory. There can't be any passengers. When I look at my crystal ball,I envision the Kings putting KClifford on with Kopi and Brown,with Lokti moving over to play with Handzus. I think it will work. Clifford and Brown will be good with Kopitar...And Doughty and Johnson have been great on the PP and regular shifts. The rest will stay intact and will take care of business...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:57 PM
  #86
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
It goes without saying that the Los Angeles Kings have struggled with the Calgary Flames. Even during the Gretzky and Robitaille era the Kings had their fair share of trouble toppling the Flames. Saturday nite though I see a different team that might emerge...If the Kings can roll out four lines and hit the Flames they might have a chance. First off though they must contain Jerome Iginla who has been a Kings killer! Having done that the Kings need to have a stellar game from their top 7 players(Kopitar,Doughty,Johnson,Quick,Smyth,Willia ms,Stoll) and have solid efforts by the rest. The Kings will need to have all 20 on board for a victory. There can't be any passengers. When I look at my crystal ball,I envision the Kings putting KClifford on with Kopi and Brown,with Lokti moving over to play with Handzus. I think it will work. Clifford and Brown will be good with Kopitar...And Doughty and Johnson have been great on the PP and regular shifts. The rest will stay intact and will take care of business...
Things not looking tooo good for the Kings as the Flames are on a hot streak with a 6 game win streak(win today over ATL). Will Saturday be the day Kings break the curse? A HUGE game it'll be as we are tied with them too..

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:23 AM
  #87
s3machine*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyphy, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Get this: If Doughty hadn't gone through some offensive slumps at different points of this season he could have very well been on his way to a 70-80 point year..

When was the last time a dman surpassed 75 points in a regular season? Or maybe it happens more often than not and I'm just in the dark about it.

The guy has been on a tear lately.. Lock him up as well long term and we might honestly have the best 1-2 pairing on the blue line in the very near future.

Remember the dark days when we had such amazing shut down guys like Maxim Kuztensov? lol. wow man.. our Defensive Corps have come such a LONG way. Our blue line is ****ing stellar right now.

s3machine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:25 AM
  #88
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,316
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3machine View Post
Get this: If Doughty hadn't gone through some offensive slumps at different points of this season he could have very well been on his way to a 70-80 point year..

When was the last time a dman surpassed 75 points in a regular season? Or maybe it happens more often than not and I'm just in the dark about it.

The guy has been on a tear lately.. Lock him up as well long term and we might honestly have the best 1-2 pairing on the blue line in the very near future.

Remember the dark days when we had such amazing shut down guys like Maxim Kuztensov? lol. wow man.. our Defensive Corps have come such a LONG way. Our blue line is ****ing stellar right now.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4600

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:00 AM
  #89
s3machine*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyphy, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Green hit 31 goals a couple seasons back? that's ridiculous.

loos like he definitely is the measuring stick.

s3machine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:03 AM
  #90
s3machine*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyphy, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
not to mention that 28 other teams passed on him in the '04 draft.. wow.

s3machine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:38 AM
  #91
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3machine View Post
Green hit 31 goals a couple seasons back? that's ridiculous.

loos like he definitely is the measuring stick.
That year he didn't really bother with trivial things like "defense" though... He was basically a fourth forward and has only recently bagun focusing on the defensive aspect of things.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:05 PM
  #92
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
It seems to have slipped everyone's notice, but it would appear that Murray is already planning to break up the powerplay unit that kicked so much ass against Edmonton...

He basically said it yesterday to Hammond when he said:

Quote:
"You’ve got to put the best six players you can on your top two lines, your best defensemen together, and play them a lot. They’re going to get you through. Now you can get back to what your philosophy might be, to spread it out a little so everybody can contribute."
from http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/02/03...wer-play-look/

I hope I'm just stupid...

Quote:
Terry Murray is a man with a vision. Visions of the future. Of better, happier times, when we all share in the love that issues forth from the top on down, blurring lines between the haves and the have-nots. Gandhi would be proud.

Unfortunately, these visions may be hallucinations.
The rest @ http://lakingsnews.com/2011/02/04/i-...m-just-stupid/

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:37 PM
  #93
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
It seems to have slipped everyone's notice, but it would appear that Murray is already planning to break up the powerplay unit that kicked so much ass against Edmonton...

He basically said it yesterday to Hammond when he said:



from http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/02/03...wer-play-look/

I hope I'm just stupid...



The rest @ http://lakingsnews.com/2011/02/04/i-...m-just-stupid/
Hammond mentioned:

Quote:
Terry Murray said he plans to stay with the same power-play look when the Kings play Calgary on Saturday.
Most of Murray's quote seems to be basically an attempt to justify why we watched an inept PP **** the bed for 10 straight games while our best PP QB toiled away on the 2nd unit. I fully expect Murray/Kompon to return to running the PP through Stoll again should a Doughty/Johnson pairing not produce every game and it will be a damn shame when it happens.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
  #94
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Most of Murray's quote seems to be basically an attempt to justify why we watched an inept PP **** the bed for 10 straight games while our best PP QB toiled away on the 2nd unit. I fully expect Murray/Kompon to return to running the PP through Stoll again should a Doughty/Johnson pairing not produce every game and it will be a damn shame when it happens.
Yeah, I know we'll see it for one game (or atleast one more pp attempt), but the fact that he is already looking ahead to changing it kills me.

Interesting take though, that his quote is more of a cover-up in a sense.

The crazy thing to me though was that he said he wants to change it up when it starts to consistently click, as opposed to when it falls flat.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
  #95
Duc620
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Yeah, I know we'll see it for one game (or atleast one more pp attempt), but the fact that he is already looking ahead to changing it kills me.

Interesting take though, that his quote is more of a cover-up in a sense.

The crazy thing to me though was that he said he wants to change it up when it starts to consistently click, as opposed to when it falls flat.
I don't read the interpretation that TM intends to break up the DD JJ power play pair at all. I think he was discussing a philosophy he has - that he likes to spread "hot" players throughout the line up whenever possible. Probably for two reasons, it can heat up other players and it reduces match up possibilities for opponents.

We can argue if that is a good strategy. But it's certainly a stretch to read into his comment that he's going to immediately split Drew and Jack up.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
  #96
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
The way Handzus has been dominating the dot lately I think he should stick with those five as the first unit on the PP.

There is nothing wrong with a 2nd PP unit of Stoll, Martinez, Williams, Brown, and Loktionov.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:17 PM
  #97
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
on the pp side of things, although Doughty and JJ have played on it together lots of times before, im pretty sure that is the first time that JJ has worked the top of the umbrella and Drew has fired 1 timers away from the left point and it worked so well.

The usual powerplay ran through Kopitar always only ever uses half on the offensive zone, and never utilizes the space, whereas if it is ran through JJ at the top of the umbrella, there aren't enough dmen to cover the 3 shooters. Or if they decide to play 3 dmen high to cover the 3 shooters and leave a 2 on 1 down low, you put Loki down by the goal line on the strong side since he has the skill to do something with Smyth on a 2 on 1

Thats my pipe dream of what happens with the pp

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:22 PM
  #98
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
I don't read the interpretation that TM intends to break up the DD JJ power play pair at all. I think he was discussing a philosophy he has - that he likes to spread "hot" players throughout the line up whenever possible. Probably for two reasons, it can heat up other players and it reduces match up possibilities for opponents.

We can argue if that is a good strategy. But it's certainly a stretch to read into his comment that he's going to immediately split Drew and Jack up.
I didn't say immediately. I said he is already planning to break them up.

Spreading hot players throughout the lineup has the end result of breaking up Jack and Drew once they get going. That's the philosophy. Put them together to get them going, then break them up to spread the 'hotness'.

I think that's a ridiculous philosophy in regards to the PP. You want balanced scoring throughout the lineup 5-on-5, but I don't think that applies to the PP. Who cares if the 1st PP unit does all the scoring? Should Tampa Bay break up St. Louis and Stamkos on the PP so that Malone can get more goals on the 2nd unit? Should Crosby split up with Malkin on the PP to help out Dupuis on the PP?

You don't go for balanced scoring on the PP, you overload it.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:53 PM
  #99
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust
 
AKAY47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
Dustin Brown is really slumping right now, him & Kopitar aren't working and I hate that we pass on every ****ing 2 on 1, just take the damn shot man

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:58 PM
  #100
driller1
Dry Island Reject
 
driller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Dustin Brown is really slumping right now, him & Kopitar aren't working and I hate that we pass on every ****ing 2 on 1, just take the damn shot man
Brown did that last game. Goalie made a great glove save. It happens.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.