HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Stortini on Waivers

Old
02-03-2011, 04:50 PM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
And that would be perfectly fine with me. The bottom 6 needs to get bigger, stronger, meaner and chip in at both ends of the ice. I would like to see the day where Horcoff is firmly planted on third line, but the oilers are a long way from that.
OK but, as of right now there is (in no particular order);

Hall Horcoff Hemsky
Penner Cogliano Eberle
Omark Gagner PRV

That's taking away the guys BBO listed.

So all of a sudden you are down to a bottom three and potentially another top pick bringing in a forward to make it a bottom 2.

That top 9 gets pushed around 82 games out of 82 and firmly anchors the Oilers to 30th place on the PK.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post

Hall Horcoff Hemsky
Penner Cogliano Eberle
Omark Gagner PRV

So all of a sudden you are down to a bottom three and potentially another top pick bringing in a forward to make it a bottom 2.

That top 9 gets pushed around 82 games out of 82 and firmly anchors the Oilers to 30th place on the PK.
Well, the top 6 needs a haircut too. That's why I think Hemsky is primed trade bait. But the top 6 is going to get pushed around for a bit longer until Hall, Mps and hopefully Eberle fill out. But we need to be stronger somewhere and a good place to start is the bottom 6.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 05:24 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Well, the top 6 needs a haircut too. That's why I think Hemsky is primed trade bait. But the top 6 is going to get pushed around for a bit longer until Hall, Mps and hopefully Eberle fill out.
Hemsky huh, well without arguing who you are targeting it still means that if they draft a center they will only have 3 spots available to beef up.

At minimum Cogliano is also included on that list (although there appears to be zero market for him) and probably a guy like Omark as well.

Quote:
But we need to be stronger somewhere and a good place to start is the bottom 6.
Which I guess makes the Stortini waiver a case of addition by subtraction?

Gawd this is a horribly constructed team, at this point even the smallest sign that they can find their way out of the wilderness would be welcome.....

Old
02-03-2011, 05:40 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:

Which I guess makes the Stortini waiver a case of addition by subtraction?

Gawd this is a horribly constructed team, at this point even the smallest sign that they can find their way out of the wilderness would be welcome.....
Bingo. I think Edmonton is finally starting to wake up to the fact that the players that they have been cheering for, for years now, really have a narrow skill set, or really aren't that good. The dynamic skillset of the rookies should be case in point.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 06:45 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumlee View Post
I may not be right on this, but last year at the Olympics, didn't Ovechkin hit Jagr and didn't that change the momentum for the Russians, causing them to win?
I didn't say hits couldn't be momentum changing. Momentum is this strange, unquantifiable thing though.

Would the Russians not have gained momentum if Ovechkin merely stole the puck from Jagr without hitting him, and still gotten the goal?

I don't think it's a stretch to say that most hits in a hockey game are not of the "momentum changing" variety.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Phaedrus

For Stortini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASskQc1_kj8

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Hits are very rarely game or momentum changing. The thing about hits is that they physically wear your opponent down (on top of hopefully removing puck possession from the opponent).
What about the psychological effect of hits? Players forcing plays, looking around for the big hitters, etc. Hitting is a key part of the game especially for teams that are low on skill or bigger teams.

Quote:

Hall Horcoff Hemsky
Penner Cogliano Eberle
Omark Gagner PRV

The guys in bold IMO aren't penciled in ink for next season for a number of reasons and they could be trade bait as early as the deadline. I would be VERY surprised to see all 3 of Hemsky, Penner, and Gagner here to start the year next season TBH.

02-04-2011, 04:56 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What about the psychological effect of hits? Players forcing plays, looking around for the big hitters, etc. Hitting is a key part of the game especially for teams that are low on skill or bigger teams.
I think hitting is important, and consider the psychological effect to coincide with wearing the opposition down (physically and mentally).

I just feel that many of these hits aren't of the bone crunching, momentum swinging variety. This doesn't mean I don't think players should finish their checks though.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I think hitting is important, and consider the psychological effect to coincide with wearing the opposition down (physically and mentally).

I just feel that many of these hits aren't of the bone crunching, momentum swinging variety. This doesn't mean I don't think players should finish their checks though.
Fair enough, IMO we could use another heavy hitter or preferably more than 1, Jacques playing like he did last year would add that up front, he hasn't been nearly as effective physically this year as he was last year IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:56 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The guys in bold IMO aren't penciled in ink for next season for a number of reasons and they could be trade bait as early as the deadline. I would be VERY surprised to see all 3 of Hemsky, Penner, and Gagner here to start the year next season TBH.
Yeah from an armchair GMing point of view I see it in a similar way, although I think Gagner and one of Hemsky/Penner are safe.

But here is the rub as it applies to this thread and as it applies to the actual GM, while aknowledging that Stortini isn't a guy that will fill his role on a contending team, he is a low maintenance guy that can fill his role on a developing team.

So why move him out now, when;

a) there is already a significant void on the team in the grit department
b) when you will have more important holes to fill come the summer time if you were to assume that some or all of these other guys like Cogliano, Penner/Hemsky, Brule(?), Omark, Reddox (due to size not quality of play), Jacques, MacIntyre, Fraser, Jones (due to free agency) are going to need addressing?

This is clearly a team that doesn't have it's house in order yet.

So while I agree with your take on which players are candidates to get moved I don't beleive for a second that we are going to see a turnover of 9 or10 out of 14 forwards this summer and all of that comes back to a line up that will get pushed around 82 games out of 82 games and continue to struggle in their own zone and on the PK.

Old
02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Yeah from an armchair GMing point of view I see it in a similar way, although I think Gagner and one of Hemsky/Penner are safe.

But here is the rub as it applies to this thread and as it applies to the actual GM, while aknowledging that Stortini isn't a guy that will fill his role on a contending team, he is a low maintenance guy that can fill his role on a developing team.

b) when you will have more important holes to fill come the summer time if you were to assume that some or all of these other guys like Cogliano, Penner/Hemsky, Brule(?), Omark, Reddox (due to size not quality of play), Jacques, MacIntyre, Fraser, Jones (due to free agency) are going to need addressing?

So while I agree with your take on which players are candidates to get moved I don't beleive for a second that we are going to see a turnover of 9 or10 out of 14 forwards this summer and all of that comes back to a line up that will get pushed around 82 games out of 82 games and continue to struggle in their own zone and on the PK.
Fair enough, I don't see that much turnover either but maybe in 2 years time we will see nearly that much.

Old
02-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Harrison

Quote:

I agree with most of your post except the Stortini part. Yes you need guys with grit but what you don't need are guys with grit that embarrass your team. Stortini still has a chance because of his age. He is in the minors because he has regressed and needs to work on what got him to the NHL. Fighting lessons @ Boogaards camp next summer will go along way to helping him in that department. He also needs to agitate players on the opposite team.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I agree with most of your post except the Stortini part. Yes you need guys with grit but what you don't need are guys with grit that embarrass your team. Stortini still has a chance because of his age. He is in the minors because he has regressed and needs to work on what got him to the NHL. Fighting lessons @ Boogaards camp next summer will go along way to helping him in that department. He also needs to agitate players on the opposite team.
My post isn't intended to come off as a big defender of Stortini, although I think the fighting thing is over blown to a degree, it's more of a WTF? kinda post.

From a team building/developing standpoint it just another in a long line of eyebrow raising moves.

This team is directionless.

Old
02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Harrison

Quote:
My post isn't intended to come off as a big defender of Stortini, although I think the fighting thing is over blown to a degree, it's more of a WTF? kinda post.

From a team building/developing standpoint it just another in a long line of eyebrow raising moves.

This team is directionless.
agreed, can't argue with that at all.

Old
02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
proppski

lines at morning skate: 28-10-83 / 4-13-14 / 91-89-23 / 33-16-85. Penner (flu) & Jacques out

proppski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by proppski View Post
lines at morning skate: 28-10-83 / 4-13-14 / 91-89-23 / 33-16-85. Penner (flu) & Jacques out
Jones with Horcoff and Hemmer? Sweet. (for Jones)

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by proppski View Post
That second line is iffy with Cogs in the middle.

Old
02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
That second line is iffy with Cogs in the middle.
He has been the teams best center over the last month or so. The thing that I dont like about it is that he is not a good puck distributer and perfers to carry the puck into the zone himself. He needs to let Hall carry the mail on that line .

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Ya I'm sure that's it. Considering what Renney makes his guys go through when coming back from injuries I don't think that's the case.

Rishaug says he cleared.
haha I know, I was being sarcastic

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

I hope all the players gave him a hug before he left for OKC

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post

Old
02-04-2011, 06:41 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
I heard that he was the only hugging.

But he had to go, he isn't a good fighter, he isn't a good hitter, and he isn't a good enough skater to be a forechecker. I am sure he will do fine at the AHL level as it is more his speed.

Don't want to hear that he had the most hits on the team as his hits are very light and late.

I will give him credit for being a good community guy though.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote