HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Purely hypothetical!

Old
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

vCash: 500
Purely hypothetical!

Greetings, folks. I rarely make trade proposals because 90% of them are severely unaware of the needs of both teams involved, so this'll be a bit different.

Before I throw this out there, I'd like to publicly affirm that I realize a certain chain of events would need to happen before this could be done.

Forward to right after the draft. Assume Nabby gets tolled and decides not to retire. Assume that the painfully slow-to-cut-bait-with-the-kids side of Garth Snow has decided that with Courtier (sp?) drafted by NYI, Bailey is expendable (unlikely, but we know his name comes up in trade from time to time.)

What do you think this:

Evgeny Nabokov
Josh Bailey
2012 Islanders 1st round pick

.....is worth? Considering that this imaginary trade would have to be with a contender for Nabby to waive the NMC, who would you trade with and what would be your desired return?

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Isles Junkie

Honestly if the NYI are willing to part with their 2012 1st, then I'd hope it is as compensation for signing Parise to a contract sheet.

But that level of player is what it would take for me to justify giving away what will likely be a top 10 pick & Bailey. Eventhough I'm down on Bailey, he still has potential. Hopefully he realizes it as an Islander, but I'm starting to doubt that will happen. I think the NYI set him down the path to being one of those late bloomers.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 04:33 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Evgeny Nabokov has close to no value...remember noone wanted to sign him so he fled to the KHL.

Bailey id trade to get a Defenseman in the same age group

Id package that 2012 pick & Bailey for Zach Bogosian & a 2012 2nd(Garth's love..how he loves 2nds.)

02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

In two other recent posts, I had suggested that Snow may wish to look into a July 1st deal such as:

Nabokov, Bailey and Hillen

to Detroit for

Jiri Hudler, Jonathan Ericsson, Teemu Pulkinnen and a 2012 2nd rounder.

Haven't seen any comments on this in either of the other posts, although I think it's the type of deal that Detroit WOULD look into in light of their history with Hudler, the low cost of the players coming in and the fact that if anyone could get a kid like Bailey on track, it'd likely be them. Oh, and they were after Nabokov in the first place. I believe Osgood is an UFA.

For the Isles, they'd get a young veteran skill forward, a big #5 Dman with allround skill (and far less subject to checks than Hillen) as well as one of the best youngsters in Europe right now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teemu_Pulkkinen (and yet another Detroit 'no duh' later pick of a highly skilled Europlayer).

Of course, if Ericsson isn't under contract and the Wings hold onto Osgood, then the deal is, I believe, no longer viable.

In general though, a Nabokov/Bailey package could be of consideration.

In today's world though, you don't generally go around trading 1st rounders anymore. If we were to throw in the 2012er, then that'd have to be one HECK of a player coming back.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-01-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 05:11 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
Evgeny Nabokov has close to no value...remember noone wanted to sign him so he fled to the KHL.

Id package that 2012 pick & Bailey for Zach Bogosian & a 2012 2nd(Garth's love..how he loves 2nds.)
As much as I want Nabokov to be forced in to retirement because of this whole fiasco, he does have value. His minimum wage salary for a whole year has great value. Think of teams like Chicago or any cap strapped team that needs a goalie.

No one wanted him when he wanted 1st string goalie money in the multi million dollar amount per year.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
mczerkawski21

2012 draft will be one of the best and deepest in years. Would much rather trade this years pick even if it is top 3.

mczerkawski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Take a look at the Washington Capitals. They DO NOT trade their 1st rounders. Period. Instead they take the skilled players that fall for whatever reason. Orlov and Kuznetsov being the two recent examples.

Now look at Toronto and their rumor of trading the 2012 pick.... BB will end up looking like Milbury. As much as I want talent now, I would not trade our 1st rounders.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Take a look at the Washington Capitals. They DO NOT trade their 1st rounders. Period. Instead they take the skilled players that fall for whatever reason. Orlov and Kuznetsov being the two recent examples.

Now look at Toronto and their rumor of trading the 2012 pick.... BB will end up looking like Milbury. As much as I want talent now, I would not trade our 1st rounders.
Funny, I sorta liked aspects of this sort of thing until I heard the name "Milbury."

Pretty undecided, I guess....I guess one might say this was me phishing for someone to make a hypothetical proposal I'd say yes unconditionally to/find the best return for Nabokov.

Old
02-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
In two other recent posts, I had suggested that Snow may wish to look into a July 1st deal such as:

Nabokov, Bailey and Hillen

to Detroit for

Jiri Hudler, Jonathan Ericsson, Teemu Pulkinnen and a 2012 2nd rounder.

Haven't seen any comments on this in either of the other posts, although I think it's the type of deal that Detroit WOULD look into in light of their history with Hudler, the low cost of the players coming in and the fact that if anyone could get a kid like Bailey on track, it'd likely be them. Oh, and they were after Nabokov in the first place. I believe Osgood is an UFA.

For the Isles, they'd get a young veteran skill forward, a big #5 Dman with allround skill (and far less subject to checks than Hillen) as well as one of the best youngsters in Europe right now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teemu_Pulkkinen (and yet another Detroit 'no duh' later pick of a highly skilled Europlayer).

Of course, if Ericsson isn't under contract and the Wings hold onto Osgood, then the deal is, I believe, no longer viable.

In general though, a Nabokov/Bailey package could be of consideration.

In today's world though, you don't generally go around trading 1st rounders anymore. If we were to throw in the 2012er, then that'd have to be one HECK of a player coming back.
I love it, wanted Pulk in the worst way his draft year. This would immediately make this team better now and for the future

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post

I'd move Bailey for Bogosian any day of the week and twice on Sunday...... (refer to my soon to be written thread).

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczerkawski21 View Post
2012 draft will be one of the best and deepest in years. Would much rather trade this years pick even if it is top 3.
LOL they are always "DEEP" DRAFTS!!!

Just give me guys who can come in and play and want to win!! If it costs us a drafr pick, so be it!! I want playoff hockey!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Speaking of hypothetical:

Would Islanders fans be interested in some kind of deal around acquiring Erik Johnson for the Isles' 2011 first round pick?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:23 AM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczerkawski21 View Post
Nail Yakapov Nick Ebert are projected to be franchise players and both aare haveing great rookie seasons in the CHL.....we would need to be a lottery pick next year to have shot at one of them.....hopfully we are not a lottery pick again...

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:25 AM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

Would Islanders fans be interested in some kind of deal around acquiring Erik Johnson for the Isles' 2011 first round pick?
if it was a sign and and trade to insure that EJ would be hear I think the Isles would think about it....

Old
02-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Riddick

i would do it in a heartbeat if EJ signed longterm.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:11 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
i would do it in a heartbeat if EJ signed longterm.

Streit - E Johnson
Mcdonald - Hamonic

Dehann wiating in the wings

Top 4 would be pretty good for years to come.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

Interesting.....

As stated in triplicate above, it all depends on extending that contract.

That would make a SOLID top 4.....

Old
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Can someone explain how a message board trade proposal not be hypothetical?

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
Streit - E Johnson
Mcdonald - Hamonic

Dehann wiating in the wings

Top 4 would be pretty good for years to come.
THATS A LEGIT TOP FOUR....it would be crazy.....and not too mention Amac and Hammer are getting better every game they play...

Old
02-04-2011, 02:05 AM
leaponover

I thought it was in agreement that Nabakov could not be traded in this situation?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:21 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Can someone explain how a message board trade proposal not be hypothetical?
Wang decided to get rid of the GM and instead use a hockey forum for trade ideas.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I thought it was in agreement that Nabakov could not be traded in this situation?
He cannot be traded now. If his contract is tolled (and I see no reason it cannot be), then the Islanders are permitted to trade his rights and honestly, that'd be the most likely course of action right now.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote