HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL's top defensive defensemen at midseason

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2011, 09:26 PM
  #26
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
No it would not. Main reason why i rant on Gomez even if we are winning at the moment. The team could use ALOT of improvement up front. Most noticeably, more goals, tougher players and a better 2nd line center.
Well he has improved his play and his production since his return from injury and don't forget that he is essential for the system to work with his clear offensive zone entry. he still has to give more thought.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:28 PM
  #27
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
Its funny, because the Habs don't really have league leaders in the most popular statistics (G/A/PTS), I think in large part due to our D-first system. Here are other stats that reflect that system, and show 4 of our guys in the top 30.... and people seem upset for some reason?

The point of the sport is to win by having more goals than the other team. That can be done by scoring or preventing the other team from scoring. Why isn't there a bit more pride in these statistics?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
  #28
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
We play a system that makes life easier on defensemen and their lack of mobility which is probably what gets them high up in these lists. Might also account for how our offense is struggling this year.
There's definitely something to that. When the habs are winning, the forwards do a great job of putting backside pressure on the opponents, which makes the job for the d-men a whole lot easier.

Hammer, Spacek have lost a step, and Gill has never been fleet of foot, but you can disguise the lack of mobility on the back end when the speedy forwards help in closing the gap.

Its certainly a Jacques Martin staple that we have come to know and something he will refer to often in the media.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:50 AM
  #29
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
And thank you Martin, because without his system, it would'nt be pretty to see
Amen Brother! It's incredible how Martin gets disrespected by our fans. He's not sexy, he's boring, dull and has funny ears but he's the best coach we've had in years and he gets NO repsect. It's a sad state when what should be an intelligent hockey market can't see a good thing when it's right in front of their faces. I think it's hilarious that this is the first time I've ever seen the assistant coaches get more praise then the head coach. Do they not realise it's Martins system being implimented??

So good on you to place the laurels where they rightly belong

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:56 AM
  #30
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
I'll have to agree with Hammer but disagree on Spacek. I don't want to rag on the guy but I just find him inconsistent. Still I know he'll show up where it counts. I'd be pretty mad if his poor play lead us to lose some games that cost us a spot though.

That aside when he's on his game and playing less minutes he's a solid D and I feel bad for the times I called him out on this forum but honestly when you pay 3.8 million for a D you expect a bit more consistency. If he was 2 million I'd accept it. Either way he's playing well now but like I said I agree on Hammer for sure and think we should retain him if the price is right. Spacek I disagree if only for the fact that more consistent D should be placed ahead of him. (I know there's a method to the madness but it just doesn't make sense I don't care how they skewed the numbers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Amen Brother! It's incredible how Martin gets disrespected by our fans. He's not sexy, he's boring, dull and has funny ears but he's the best coach we've had in years and he gets NO repsect. It's a sad state when what should be an intelligent hockey market can't see a good thing when it's right in front of their faces. I think it's hilarious that this is the first time I've ever seen the assistant coaches get more praise then the head coach. Do they not realise it's Martins system being implimented??

So good on you to place the laurels where they rightly belong
Agreed. I may not agree with all of his decisions but hey that's what happens with coaches versus the guy watching them on TV. I bet we'd be hard pressed to find a coach whose decisions everyone agreed with 100%. He is the coach though and even if Halak stood on his head JM coached a hell of a playoffs last year. He's a big part of the reason we're still in a playoff spot still. People need to wake up.

I bet if we were NJ and JM came in like JL did with his "boring style" blah blah blah and we started winning games left and right rather than losing fans would actually be happy.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:52 AM
  #31
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
#6 on the list is...Jason Garrison.
There's a dman that might not cost a lot (hoping!), and reading about him makes me think he can be loved by coach Martin!!
Pair him with PK Subban? (and then we have Spacek - Gill as our 3rd pair, Weber/Veberre as #7dman). Anyways...I don't really know that much about Garrison...excuse moi!

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?6570





So so hard to replace Gorges for playoffs, but...we have to try (without overpayment). Someone will try to find me and shoot me for sure for writing this, but I might miss Gorges (for playoffs) way more than our Markov. Gorges can always be counted on to elevate his he''A''rt game for playoffs. Same goes for PK Subban (I'd miss him waaay more than Markov for these playoffs).


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-04-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:58 AM
  #32
Jedrik
Registered User
 
Jedrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
It's funny because i'm listening to McGuire right now on team 990 and he just said that the Habs could be in big trouble when they lose Hammer, Spacek in Gill in the near future because of the guts and fortitude that they show night in night out. I don't know if i agree with him, but it made me think about it. it's easy to say that we should just slot in younger, faster D-men in their stead, but that may not be better than the experience and saavy these guys possess. Food for thought i guess...
I think it would be fairly easy to re-sign Gill at 1.5 or so, since I think he'd really like to come back.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.