HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

TH Season 8.99: Playoffs? Ya kiddin' me, playoffs?

Old
02-04-2011, 08:50 AM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
So, I usually set my tactics and line pairings for a more defensive role in the playoffs, but this year my team is just so much better than the rest of the league that I am considering leaving them in their current offensively minded roles and letting Dufek and his .93 SVPCT clean up after them. I am even considering setting my pairings to 1v1, 2v2, etc. to maximize the talent difference between my lines and theirs and just smack everyone in the mouth. To be honest, my 1st line against the other team's first line may be the best way to defend their top line as well because they will control puck possession in the offensive zone the whole game anyway.

Thoughts?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:51 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
yes.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Why would you switch up tactics if they worked all season for you? It's not real life where it's more intense and close checking, it's a simulation game. If your tactics worked before unless the teams HC comes up with some master plan, they should work just as well in the playoffs.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:00 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I also lucked out, after all the ME screw ups and injury and fatigue resets, my starting goalie played for a way longer then he should of. Finally fatigued, so I can rest my back up perfectly on the last day.

Lots of teams got screwed really hard, and its all the games fault. Some guys had their starting goalies out while injuries just never caught up.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:10 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Why would you switch up tactics if they worked all season for you? It's not real life where it's more intense and close checking, it's a simulation game. If your tactics worked before unless the teams HC comes up with some master plan, they should work just as well in the playoffs.
Well, the playoffs are well known to be more fluky than the regular season. I figured making it a tighter checking game in the playoffs would help alleviate some of the randomness and allow the better team to win and it has worked for me in the past: lost in finals 2-1 my first season and won the finals my second season.

If I could just assume that I would keep my regular season winning pct (0.955 - 1 loss every 20 odd games) for the playoffs that means I would likely sweep them, which is probably unlikely.

Old
02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I also lucked out, after all the ME screw ups and injury and fatigue resets, my starting goalie played for a way longer then he should of. Finally fatigued, so I can rest my back up perfectly on the last day.

Lots of teams got screwed really hard, and its all the games fault. Some guys had their starting goalies out while injuries just never caught up.
I rested my goalie when that happened and had to play my backup two games in a row because my starters fatigue never went away. Yes, I got screwed, and I wasn't happy about it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Villedelphia*

253 goals for this season

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:50 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
253 goals for this season
160 GF this year, 63 GA. It'd be nice if I can break into triple digit GD this year.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
160 GF this year, 63 GA. It'd be nice if I can break into triple digit GD this year.
Yeah triple digits feels good. Im 13 away from 200 so i set all my lines to very attacking for my last game to try to get there.

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Well, the playoffs are well known to be more fluky than the regular season. I figured making it a tighter checking game in the playoffs would help alleviate some of the randomness and allow the better team to win and it has worked for me in the past: lost in finals 2-1 my first season and won the finals my second season.

If I could just assume that I would keep my regular season winning pct (0.955 - 1 loss every 20 odd games) for the playoffs that means I would likely sweep them, which is probably unlikely.
Keep scoring like 6 goals a game and a fluky goal or two from the other team won't matter.

I lost and I'm officially out of the playoffs. All four teams I was chasing won. Damn you sa cyred!

In other news, aren't FAs signed after the trade deadline supposed to wait until next season to join your team? A guy I recently signed definitely just joined my roster. http://trophyhockey.org/player.php?id=277534 Not the greatest player, but he fits on my 4th line and 2nd PP extremely well as they're both DnC lines and I had a big hole at each of those spots. Curious to see how this works out.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
DrHamburg

Might be worth saying, but it might be a good time to switch to relaxed training til the playoffs are over.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Bored, so I went ahead and did my leagues playoff predictions;

Lots of these spots could change after Sunday, I'm not really sure how that will impact things going forward.

Playoff predictions

So now that almost all the divisions are clinched (Oceanic East may be the worst 3.x division... ever.) and most of the playoff teams are locked in, I thought it would be a good time to do the playoff predictions with an off day tomorrow.

Well, that last part is a lie. I'm gonna be drunk all day Saturday and Sunday, so there's no way it's getting done before the playoffs unless I do it today.

Conference Quarterfinals

National Conference

Lancaster Mighty Soldiers v. Knoxville Cooks - I expect the Mighty Soldiers to roll, even if the Fairfield Guerrilla end up being the team they face. Neither has the firepower or defense to hang with Lancaster. Lancaster in 2 games.

Philadelphia Flyers v. Birmingham Purple Grays - Talk about an interesting series. They split their four games on the season, each team with 1 regulation win. The Flyers won in a shootout in their second meeting of the year, and most recently lost in overtime. Despite that, my pick is the Flyers in 3 games.

Louisville Gurus v. Phoenix RoadRunners - Two very solid teams. The Gurus won 3 of 4 matchups this season, all by one goal, and their lone loss came by 2 goals. Gurus in 3.

Anchorage Broadswords v. Maine Gods - This should be a good series as well, with some very tight defensive games. The Broadswords swept Maine this season, winning both matchups by one goal, and both in regulation. However, The Broadswords aren't exactly hot right now, so I'm taking the Gods in 2.

Oceanic Conference

Oakland Green Devils v. Medford AM Architects - Both of these teams may originally hail from 4.2, but the Green Devils are superior in every way. Green Devils in 2.

Alabama Reign v. Tulsa Harpers - Season series was split one game a piece, each team winning by a score of 3-1. However, the Reign have a GD that is 55 goals higher than the Harpers' -1. Reign in 3.

Hartford Railers v. Raleigh Mob - The Railers lost both games this season to the Mob in the shootout. Given that and the inconsistent play of the Railers down the stretch, give me the Mob in 3.

Sebastian Helos v. Oklahoma City Tornadoes - The Tornadoes should end up ripping the Helos to pieces. Oklahoma City in 2.

Conference Semifinals

National Conference

Lancaster Mighty Soldiers v. Maine Gods - Battle of the brothers. Mighty Soldiers have the season series right now at 2 games to one, but they're also playing again on Sunday Morning. Despite the unknown tally for the finale (See what I did there?) I'll take Lancaster in 3.

Philadelphia Flyers v. Louisville Gurus - Flyers won both matchups this season, one in the shootout. Expect a low-scoring defensive affair. Flyers in 2.

Oceanic Conference

Oakland Green Devils v. Raleigh Mob - Raleigh lost both games to Oakland this season by a total of 7-1. I expect more of the same. Green Devils in 2.

Alabama Reign v. Oklanhoma City Tornadoes - Season series was split one game each, with a shootout win for Oklahoma, and a decisive 4-1 victory for the Reign. Alabama looks a bit hotter heading into the playoffs, so they get my pick here. Reign in 3.

Conference Finals

National Conference

Lancaster Mighty Soldiers v. Philadelphia Flyers - The series we all want to see. Season series split, a 2-1 win for Philadelphia and a 1-0 win for the Mighty Soldiers. These two teams play very different styles, with the Mighty Soldiers being an offensively fueled team with a responsible defense, and the Flyers being a team that prefers to collapse around the goalie and play tight defense. However, Philadelphia's Timmy Westfield (91 EPA!) is HOT going into the playoffs, and I'm expecting that dominance to continue. Flyers in 2.

Oceanic Conference

Oakland Green Devils v. Alabama Reign - The season series was, once again, split. One game each, both games ending in regulation time. Reign are hot coming into the playoffs, but so are the Green Devils. I'll venture a guess that Oaklands offense is the difference here and the Green Devils take Oceanic for the second year in a row, this time in 3 games.

Wesley Cup Finals

Oakland Green Devils v. Philadelphia Flyers - This is a great matchup of the new guy from 4.2 and the newer guy from 4.2. They didn't face one another this season (That aint right!) so there is not much to look at as far as how they match up against one another. This is one series I'm not gonna predict the outcome to, but it will take three games for one team to come out on top.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Beat CSC 2-0 to fully secure a playoff spot. Sadly I knocked him out though lol.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Won 3-1.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww snap.

41-1-2 season.

Pretty good.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Beat CSC 2-0 to fully secure a playoff spot. Sadly I knocked him out though lol.
I'd have been fine if one of the three other teams had lost as well. I expected to go 1-1 at best over the last two games, so I figured I might get some help. No such luck. Kinda frustrating when three of the teams above me have worse GD's than me though. I held your high powered offense to two goals with my backup in net, so I guess that's some promise that my lineup changes might work out for the MOC.

I never expected my team to do much more than sit in the 6-10 range anyway, so as long as I don't flame out in the MOC I'll consider the season a success. Promoting twice in a row to get to 1.1 makes it tough to do much more than that I think. I still don't have the high end talent I'd need to compete.

Old
02-04-2011, 12:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I'd have been fine if one of the three other teams had lost as well. I expected to go 1-1 at best over the last two games, so I figured I might get some help. No such luck. Kinda frustrating when three of the teams above me have worse GD's than me though. I held your high powered offense to two goals with my backup in net, so I guess that's some promise that my lineup changes might work out for the MOC.

I never expected my team to do much more than sit in the 6-10 range anyway, so as long as I don't flame out in the MOC I'll consider the season a success. Promoting twice in a row to get to 1.1 makes it tough to do much more than that I think. I still don't have the high end talent I'd need to compete.
Wow that was your backup? Im in deep **** in playoffs. I might get past the first round but after that, I have a feeling there will be blowouts (as in my team getting destroyed). Really the top two teams easily are Hunter and Irish's. Im not really worried about anyone else for the most part.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Won 3-1.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww snap.

41-1-2 season.

Pretty good.
Origin, wtf man, you lost in regulation?

I was looking forward to living out an undefeated season vicariously through you.

Old
02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wow that was your backup?
Yeah, my starter is now 30 so when I saw a bunch of guys similar to this guy go on the FA market at like 22-24 years old I figured I'd grab one of them to be my starter a couple seasons down the line since the drafts seem to be nerfed and my goalie is going to retire well before all the bugged players are gone. Cap space wasn't an issue for me since my team is relatively mediocre for the most part. He's an 81 EPA at full fitness/morale , which will go up a few points if I get him some routine. I'm actually thinking about getting him in 15-20 games next season to build his routine since my starter isn't that much better and I'm likely not competing for a top spot anyway.

Quote:
Im in deep **** in playoffs. I might get past the first round but after that, I have a feeling there will be blowouts (as in my team getting destroyed). Really the top two teams easily are Hunter and Irish's. Im not really worried about anyone else for the most part.
This is kinda why I'm not upset about missing them. Hunter and Irish are going to stomp on everyone else unless things get really fluky, so I might have had a chance to win one round if I got the right matchup, but I wasn't getting past either of them, so what's the difference? I might actually win a meaningless trophy this way

Old
02-04-2011, 01:29 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Origin, wtf man, you lost in regulation?

I was looking forward to living out an undefeated season vicariously through you.
Yup. It was a game where 2 of my top Dmen got injured, I destroyed the opponent, out-hit and out-shot him as well as killing his entire family and still lost.

I was super pissed.

Old
02-04-2011, 01:32 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Yup. It was a game where 2 of my top Dmen got injured, I destroyed the opponent, out-hit and out-shot him as well as killing his entire family and still lost.

I was super pissed.
Haha, that is what happened to me, too. Outshot the guy like 30-11 and my goalie let in 4 goals on 11 shots so I lost 4-3 (I then promptly cut him and signed Dufek ). One of the saddest mornings I have had in months, tbh. A pseudo-perfect season would have been the ultimate bragging rights.

Oh well, 42-1-2 isn't too shabby for the two of us anyway. My GD is gonna be over 150, too, what is yours?

Old
02-04-2011, 03:17 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Haha, that is what happened to me, too. Outshot the guy like 30-11 and my goalie let in 4 goals on 11 shots so I lost 4-3 (I then promptly cut him and signed Dufek ). One of the saddest mornings I have had in months, tbh. A pseudo-perfect season would have been the ultimate bragging rights.

Oh well, 42-1-2 isn't too shabby for the two of us anyway. My GD is gonna be over 150, too, what is yours?
I'm currently sitting at +131 with 84 points and total team +/- of 100. My goalie is likely to win the Vezina and my main guy Chandler was supposed to win the Hart trophy but some ****** came out of no where and scored 40 goals, so that ain't happening.

Old
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
I'm currently sitting at +131 with 84 points and total team +/- of 100. My goalie is likely to win the Vezina and my main guy Chandler was supposed to win the Hart trophy but some ****** came out of no where and scored 40 goals, so that ain't happening.
I have the Hart, Richard, Norris and Ard Voss wrapped up. Duffek doesn't qualify for the goalie awards because he only played 9 games, but his 0.75 GAA and .93 SVPCT would have easily lead the league.

Old
02-04-2011, 10:02 PM
huntercp

It's kinda bad but I've dropped Garabedian to my fourth line for the final game of the season specifically to avoid him winning trophies and costing me a lot more. That strikes me as bass ackwards but hey what can you do.

If I had to pick a winner of the National Conference I'd say it will be Irish. I don't have a good history against him so if it comes down to the two of us I doubt I will win.

huntercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercp View Post
It's kinda bad but I've dropped Garabedian to my fourth line for the final game of the season specifically to avoid him winning trophies and costing me a lot more. That strikes me as bass ackwards but hey what can you do.
That is definitely a good strategy and probably the right thing to do, but my vanity would never allow me to do it.

If I had any sense then once I locked up a playoff spot about 20 games ago (or the number 1 seed about 8 games ago) I would have done the same.

Old
02-05-2011, 12:07 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Should I go for him? I want to because there is a team in the other conference that I think is very likely to get to the finals and they have both superior offense, defense, and a goalie.
Washington Woodpeckers- Offense 74, Defense 79, Goalie 87
Chicago Peace (my team)- Offense 73, Defense 76, Goalie 81(82 if he is in his best shape)

http://trophyhockey.org/player.php?id=364306

I could also go for this nice bargain.
http://trophyhockey.org/player.php?id=322950

edit- Is this guy too expensive? He'd want 3.75 mil.
http://trophyhockey.org/player.php?id=685456

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 02-05-2011 at 12:26 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote