HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

We need to realize what we have in Kevin Poulin

Old
01-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Riddick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
This is like posting a thread on Web MD saying we need to realize what we have in antibiotics...
lol i was going to mention this sounds a lot like bluechip talking up Petrov..

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 09:26 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
hes gonna be great and probably a HOF goalie......but not for us....Wang and snow will decide DiPietro is the frachise and that poulin can be traded......I see somthing along the lines of MacDonald(raises his game everytime i see him and is becoming a legit top pairing dman IMO) and Poulin for mayby a 3rd round pick and somone like ben Eager........you know like Chara and Luongo for Dipietro Kavasha and Parish......

I love Dipietro for the record .....nobody asks to be injured....and he is the most competitive athlete ive ever seen....I wish we could take rickys mindset with poulins bodyandskills and make one great goalie....
Disagree 1000%.

The lump between DPs shoulders has helped to put him in this mess in the first place. His competitiveness and mindset has done nothing but get him in trouble both healthwise and in terms of his decision making on the ice.

I'll take Kevin Poulin all on his own please.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
OlTimeHockey

THANK YOU. Ricky's brain ended Ricky's career and put us in more holes than Wilt Chamberlain. More bad decisions on the ice than ANY player before or since in NHL history.

If you isolate the good, I love the guy. Add the bad and I'm pining for Mike Dunham.

We just have to be patient with Poulin and be sure to let him hear it if he starts resembling the lump atop the 39 stitching.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 02:23 PM
GilliesGirlie

KP looks like he could become a solid NHL starter, but let's not get carried away.

Old
01-30-2011, 04:09 PM
islandersfan1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
KP looks like he could become a solid NHL starter, but let's not get carried away.
agree 100%

He looks good times and very raw at others. I'd like to see him at bridgeport for another season.

islandersfan1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Disagree 1000%.

The lump between DPs shoulders has helped to put him in this mess in the first place. His competitiveness and mindset has done nothing but get him in trouble both healthwise and in terms of his decision making on the ice.

I'll take Kevin Poulin all on his own please.
I don't know how Ricky's competitiveness can be looked at as a negative, if every guy on this team had his compete level this team would be so much better by leaps and bounds. Mindset wise moreso I believe, he needed to be smarter but at the same time I can understand why he rushed so fast to get back was because quite honestly he was the team. The Isles went as Ricky went and you saw it more than ever with what happened that year Dunham had to step in. Hell even in game 1 against the Sabres with Dubie in net you could see the Isles spirits sink when they realized they had no shot with him in net.

Poulin is very close to having the proper mindset already, just needs more polish and I love his compete level, I just hope he's able to get that level of intensity game in and game out for this team like Ricky did because Poulin can be the game-breaker(a la the Queen) that this team has been looking for.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
Up until last draft, that was my thinking too. Now I think they are going to let Ricky play out this season, and maybe next then retire him to work for the organization. they didn't stock up on good goalie prospects last draft for kicks. They did it to put a succession plan in place if/when they needed tp put Ricky out to pasture. With the emergence of Poulin this is more likely now and I think the plan.
It was a puzzler when Snow took goalies with the first pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I think Snow, deep down knew that DP was and always will be a question mark, that he'll always be pencilled in on the depth chart.

Granted the draft they were taken in, DP was pretty much Anikan Skywalker on the table just before he got all his Darth Vader appendages.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 01:15 AM
JT 91 NYI*

If DiPietro gets hit by one of them Nassau buses this kid instantly becomes the franchise goalie and we're off the hook on the next 11 years of the DiPi contract. Anyone know how to drive a bus?

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 02:41 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHockey View Post
If DiPietro gets hit by one of them Nassau buses this kid instantly becomes the franchise goalie and we're off the hook on the next 11 years of the DiPi contract. Anyone know how to drive a bus?
I'd rather watch Gollum saunter about on all fours for another year earning his $4.5M than rush Poulin any more than we have to.

The KEY is that when we CAREFULLY bring Poulin up to speed, and he gets good, there won't be room for DP or his antics on this team for any more than 15-25 games max. And we'll hopefully want better backing up Poulin if we get serious (but that would mean Snow either succeeded in starving his kids of leadership and it paid off or Snow got help in the coming summers).

Oh, sweet irony.

Old
02-03-2011, 03:28 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
Guess your TV has been in storage. Kevin Poulin is ridiculous. This kid has star goaltender written all over him. Patrick Roy raved about him all last season. I have not seen a better young goalie in quite some time.

Let's get carried away

Old
02-03-2011, 03:30 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I'd rather watch Gollum saunter about on all fours for another year earning his $4.5M than rush Poulin any more than we have to.

The KEY is that when we CAREFULLY bring Poulin up to speed, and he gets good, there won't be room for DP or his antics on this team for any more than 15-25 games max. And we'll hopefully want better backing up Poulin if we get serious (but that would mean Snow either succeeded in starving his kids of leadership and it paid off or Snow got help in the coming summers).

Oh, sweet irony.
I agree about not wanting to rush Poulin but he's already a much better goaltender than Rickety DiPietro. He may be ready right now

Old
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHockey View Post
I agree about not wanting to rush Poulin but he's already a much better goaltender than Rickety DiPietro. He may be ready right now
I honestly think he may be 80% ready.

I also think with goalies, I want him to be 110% ready. I want him to be everything Rick hasn't been: refined, skilled, consistent and organic in net (which means his style honed to perfection so that it won't change throughout his career because at some point he lacked confidence),

Oh, and keep Sudsie away from him at all costs.

Old
02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Bones45

What exactly do you see in Poulin that makes you think he is going to be a good NHL goalie?

cuz... to quote Spaceballs....

I ain't found ****!

Bones45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:56 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
What exactly do you see in Poulin that makes you think he is going to be a good NHL goalie?

I ain't found ****!

positioning, speed and focus.

I hope very good but thus far, he looks good.

Old
02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:

I ain't found ****!

Uh idk, the fact he was the best goalie in the Q, the fact he was posting a sub 2.0 GAA with a .940+ SV% in the Bridge as a 20 year old, or the fact he has a 2.3 GAA with a .926 SV% in the NHL while getting shelled multiple games.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Uh idk, the fact he was the best goalie in the Q, the fact he was posting a sub 2.0 GAA with a .940+ SV% in the Bridge as a 20 year old, or the fact he has a 2.3 GAA with a .926 SV% in the NHL while getting shelled multiple games.
Bingo !

I ain't found ****!

Bones, if to quote spaceballs "You ain't found ****", maybe you should open your eyes. You're so negative an Isles fan, when something good comes around, you can't recognize it.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Bingo !

I ain't found ****!

Bones, if to quote spaceballs "You ain't found ****", maybe you should open your eyes. You're so negative an Isles fan, when something good comes around, you can't recognize it.
I see it but can you blame Bones?

An Islander fan is like a beaten child.....always ready for the belt to come off. Bones just happened to toughen up and be ready for it.

With this owner and job secure idiot GM (who traded our #1 goalie (who we refused to ever call the #1) and our top point getter early to assure another draft and one more year of job security) I'm ready for whatever they dish out to be **** on a plate. And correct all too often.

That said, Poulin is a gem if we don't rush him. Maybe not a diamond, but something nice. And again, if we don't ruin him or trade him to keep best son Rick Wang happy.

Old
02-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I see it but can you blame Bones?

An Islander fan is like a beaten child.....always ready for the belt to come off. Bones just happened to toughen up and be ready for it.

With this owner and job secure idiot GM (who traded our #1 goalie (who we refused to ever call the #1) and our top point getter early to assure another draft and one more year of job security) I'm ready for whatever they dish out to be **** on a plate. And correct all too often.

That said, Poulin is a gem if we don't rush him. Maybe not a diamond, but something nice. And again, if we don't ruin him or trade him to keep best son Rick Wang happy.
give it a rest on the Rolo trade. Snow traded the goalie that was always said to be a trade chip before said chip got hurt himself. Rolo played great for NYI and was a professional through and through, but the guy was 41? Plus he had never held up a full NHL season as a starter either.

They traded him when a return became available they wanted before Rolo lost value.

Rolo was not leading them to the playoffs.

Just stop inventing stuff to blame Snow for when al 30 NHL GMs would have made that move.

Blue Dot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
Just stop inventing stuff to blame Snow for when al 30 NHL GMs would have made that move.
Really? Trading a competent and competitive player who led by example for a B-level prospect? When your other goalie is made of glass and then you've got a bunch of kids... That's a no-brainer, eh?

Oh boy.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Groin Of Bates

Well, fellas, here we go:

With DP out 4-6 (and possibly more), the Poulin-era begins starting tomorrow night. He is now, without question, our new starter.

(Unless Nabokov reports, or Garth signs another goalie)

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Bones45

Poulin is just another number.

Another number on a jersey which represents "promise for the future."

Ah yes.. a song I know so well and have heard for years/decades now.

in fact.. the record is skipping and the needle is worn down to the nub.

and its scratching the record.

so much so that the record is now warped and needs to be replaced..and the record player is so old an antiquated that we have to get a new one of those also..

in fact.. My hearing isnt as good anymore, so im just going to cut off my ears.

See where Im going with this? I feel like im in ****ing Groundhog day.

WHAT HAS CHANGED IN THE PAST 8 YEARS ?

ANSWER: NOTHING.

Side note: I laughed.. THATS RIGHT... I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF WHEN I HEARD ABOUT DP BEING OUT FOR 4-6 WEEKS.

**** this team.

BUT WAIT!!

THAT NEW GOALIE POULIN LOOKS REALLY PROMISING!!!! HE COULD BE A REALLY STRONG BACKBONE OF OUR TEAM IN 2 YEARS!!!!!!

Bones45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Poulin is just another number.

Another number on a jersey which represents "promise for the future."
But, to be fair Bones, he has preformed well-enough in his games to represent that "promise"

He could turn out to be on the path of a Mason or a Raycroft, but one of the very few goods we can take from this season has been Poulin showing he can get it done.

He's still young, he's still inexperienced, but with seasoning and further maturity towards the position, he can get it done.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote