HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

We all feel Mitchell is key... someone provided the data to back it up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
  #1
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,902
vCash: 500
We all feel Mitchell is key... someone provided the data to back it up

http://www.battleofcali.com/2011/2/4...hell-cool-dude

Looking at that Downie video again was worth it alone, but here are some other highlights from the article:

Willie Mitchell has the lowest offensive zone start rate on the Kings. He is also tied for the highest quality of competition among Kings' defensemen with Rob Scuderi. In spite of that, his goals allowed per 60 minutes is the lowest of all defensemen on the Kings (1.51). For comparison's sake, Scuderi's GA/60 is 2.07.

Willie Mitchell has taken 2 minor penalties this season

Willie Mitchell is 6th among everyday defensemen in short handed time on ice per game, spending about 3:44 on the ice when the Kings are a man down.

Last season, the Kings killed 80.3% of their penalties, good for 20th in the league. This season, they're killing 83.3% of their penalties, good for 12th in the league. Most of that is due to Jonathan Quick (his save percentage when the Kings are a man down is .893, up from .853 last year) but a part of it is due to Willie Mitchell's replacing and exceeding Sean O'Donnell's production last year.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:07 PM
  #2
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Good thing he is around for another year!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
  #3
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
http://www.battleofcali.com/2011/2/4...hell-cool-dude

Looking at that Downie video again was worth it alone, but here are some other highlights from the article:

Willie Mitchell has the lowest offensive zone start rate on the Kings. He is also tied for the highest quality of competition among Kings' defensemen with Rob Scuderi. In spite of that, his goals allowed per 60 minutes is the lowest of all defensemen on the Kings (1.51). For comparison's sake, Scuderi's GA/60 is 2.07.

Willie Mitchell has taken 2 minor penalties this season

Willie Mitchell is 6th among everyday defensemen in short handed time on ice per game, spending about 3:44 on the ice when the Kings are a man down.

Last season, the Kings killed 80.3% of their penalties, good for 20th in the league. This season, they're killing 83.3% of their penalties, good for 12th in the league. Most of that is due to Jonathan Quick (his save percentage when the Kings are a man down is .893, up from .853 last year) but a part of it is due to Willie Mitchell's replacing and exceeding Sean O'Donnell's production last year.
What the hell is an "offensive zone start rate"?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
  #4
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
What the hell is an "offensive zone start rate"?
I would guess the number of times the player is on the ice when a faceoff occurs inside the offensive zone.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
  #5
Bobby Lou
We Surrender
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
What the hell is an "offensive zone start rate"?
Manny Malhotra's favourite stat.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:36 PM
  #6
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
What the hell is an "offensive zone start rate"?
He's on the ice for fewer offensive zone face-offs than any other defenseman on the team. Not too many folks write about this stat, but here's an article that shines some perspective on it a bit:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2009/1...es-defencemen/ Look at that chart that combines +- with the low offensive zone start rate, and it's mighty impressive that he can be that significant of a plus player and yet be on the ice in the toughest of situations.

And you can use this stat to see how a guy like Dave Bolland was so critical to Chicago's success in 2010: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/0...ill-both-ways/

Mitchell's basically put out in the toughest situations, against the toughest competition.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
  #7
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,596
vCash: 500
Good stats but here's all the data I needed:

With Mitchell: 17 wins, 10 losses.

Without Mitchell: 11 wins 14 losses.


We're a .629 team with him, and a .440 team without him.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
  #8
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,204
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
As long as he stays healthy, I am happy. He is a terrific defenseman and he knows how to slow the game down and to step up when he needs to. I like his shot too, even though he doesn't produce much offense, he has a pretty hard shot and he uses it often when in the offensive zone.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:49 PM
  #9
AirMinivan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Sounds like your Willie Mitchell experience is mirroring that of the Canucks.

Great player, but leaves a big hole when he's injured.

AirMinivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
  #10
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
He's on the ice for fewer offensive zone face-offs than any other defenseman on the team. Not too many folks write about this stat, but here's an article that shines some perspective on it a bit:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2009/1...es-defencemen/ Look at that chart that combines +- with the low offensive zone start rate, and it's mighty impressive that he can be that significant of a plus player and yet be on the ice in the toughest of situations.

And you can use this stat to see how a guy like Dave Bolland was so critical to Chicago's success in 2010: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/0...ill-both-ways/

Mitchell's basically put out in the toughest situations, against the toughest competition.
Thanks -T. I had never heard about that stat before. But it is clear that he plays the crunch time defender role extremely well. Better than Scuds who is nails.

AS for Bolland, if you dont know just how good he is you underestimate the depth of Chicago. He was a 50 goal scorer in his last year in the OHL. He has great hands and every coach he has ever played for raves about his responsible play and ability to play any role.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:11 PM
  #11
Bandit
Registered User
 
Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Is anyone really surprised that the team is worse when you take a good player out of the lineup who plays more than 1/3 of the game and replace him with a scrub or a rookie?

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:45 PM
  #12
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Is anyone really surprised that the team is worse when you take a good player out of the lineup who plays more than 1/3 of the game and replace him with a scrub or a rookie?
I didn't post this to make a brutally obvious point. It was an interesting article that led to an interesting stat that is rarely discussed.

Here's to hoping he stays healthy to make a difference in the playoffs.


Last edited by TonySCV: 02-04-2011 at 09:58 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 09:56 PM
  #13
Vic Vinegar
Registered User
 
Vic Vinegar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
I didn't "feel" he was key, I saw it by watching the games. It's clear he's the team's best defensive d-man. And that's saying a lot, since Scuderi is pretty damn good.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 10:46 AM
  #14
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
he is def the one running the D corp. he is the veteran leader with the calm and controlling presence these guys need. he has taken over OD's role and improved on what Sean did. let's pray that Greener or Scuds quickly evolve into this role, the team needs another solid stay at home guy especially when/if Willie gets hurt.

as flashy and focused upon PMDs are it's amazing how overlooked stay at home guy D's always are. next to solid goaltending these guys are the anchor of any good team.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 02:20 PM
  #15
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMinivan View Post
Sounds like your Willie Mitchell experience is mirroring that of the Canucks.

Great player, but leaves a big hole when he's injured.
Yep, you guys can definitely say you told us so.

He's fantastic.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.