HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ideal flex?

Old
02-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

vCash: 500
Ideal flex?

I'm not too sure about flex, and I can't even take a proper slap-shot yet...but I'm wondering if there are flex levels for people depending on their height and weight. That is to say is there a general preference? Right now I have an 85 flex, I'm 5'10 about 155 - 160. I'd say I'm fairly strong for my size as I've done wrestling, etc. and usually against guys bigger than me.

With that in mind is an 85 flex composite where I should be or should I go with something lower? I don't notice any whip really when I do wrist, snap or slap shots but that could just be due to technique.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You'd probably want to try a 75 flex. At your height/strength 75 flex is ideal, especially since you're not feeling it flex at all. Especially for learning the technique it's better to go down in flex and really get the mechanics of the shot down while learning to get the whip of the stick to work for you.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
LarryO

A general rule of thumb is to choose a flex rating that's equal to about half your weight. You can go a bit higher if your particularly strong. Remember that the flex rating usually applies to the full length of the stick, so if you cut it the rating increases or the stick gets stiffer.

In the Base hockey video Al Iafrate states that you're better off with a stick that's a bit too whippy than one that's a bit too stiff. I'm 5'7" 155lbs. and right now I'm using a 65 flex inter that I cut 2" off so it results in around 72 flex and it feels pretty good. If I had gone with a 75 inter, I would have ended up with 82 flex which would have been a bit much for my weight. If I had gone with a 75 flex senior stick, I would have had to cut off around 5" which would result in around 93 flex.

Here's a good article explaining How to choose stick flex.

A certain amount of it comes down to personal preference, too. Brett Hull used a 65 flex and he's twice as big and strong as I am.

LarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And I'll also throw in my two cents that the half bodyweight thing is a terrible guideline, because it doesn't take into account height. It says I should be using an 85 flex, which cut down would be about 110 flex, whereas I usually use a 65 flex cut down to about 75 flex. I can barely flex a 75 cut down to about 95-100 in games anyways.

Old
02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
gintonic

75 - 85 range

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
ponder

I'm 6', 180 lbs, have been playing hockey since I was 8, and even still I shoot best with a 75-77 flex stick. Especially when you're trying to get the feel of getting a good whip when shooting it helps to have a stick that flexes easily, later as your technique improves you may (or may not) want to go with something stiffer. Flexing a stick is partly height/weight, but technique is just as (if not more) important, learning to really get your legs into your shot, and this is very hard to learn as a newer player with a stiff stick. Honestly, if you really wanna feel that whip, and like a stick on the shorter side, you might even be able to get away with a 65-70 flex intermediate, if you could find one fairly cheap that has shaft dimensions not too much smaller than a senior. Test it out a fair bit in store though to make sure you actually like the shaft dimensions, flex, feel, etc. (some stores will have a net and let you shoot, otherwise you just have to sort of play around with flexing it, only flex lightly though, you should never flex sticks that you're not gonna buy too hard).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Great post, ponder! If you're trying to learn technique with too stiff a stick, you'll always want to "power through" the shot rather than getting the stick to do the work.

Old
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Out of curiosity...for my height (5'10) is it better to use an intermediate stick? I have an intermediate right now and it seems the perfect height without cutting (up to my nose without skates on.) Or is it always better to use the adult stick cut down? Like I'm not sure what is more appropriate when you are playing hockey? Like to any NHL pros use intermediate?

Old
02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Phil Kessel and Brett Hull used intermediate flexes at times. But most NHL'ers train year round and have perfect technique so they can use sticks 15-20 flex stiffer than your average beer leaguer.

So you've got an intermediate and an 85 flex...I'd shoot with both of those, and if the intermediate feels good, stick with it, otherwise if it feels like it's going to break when you shoot, maybe move up to a 75 flex.

Old
02-04-2011, 04:20 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Out of curiosity...for my height (5'10) is it better to use an intermediate stick? I have an intermediate right now and it seems the perfect height without cutting (up to my nose without skates on.) Or is it always better to use the adult stick cut down? Like I'm not sure what is more appropriate when you are playing hockey? Like to any NHL pros use intermediate?
If you cut down a 75 flex senior stick to the size of an intermediate stick, you'll be taking off around 3" so you'll end up with around a 90 flex which might be too stiff. If you use a 75 flex intermediate stick which you said is already the right length, you have a 75 flex which may be better. If you want the right flex, you might not have much choice in using an intermediate stick, unless you can find a 60-65 flex senior stick which when cut down would give you the flex that you need. I don't know of any 65 flex senior sticks.

Last edited by LarryO: 02-04-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old
02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
If you cut down a 75 flex senior stick to the size of an intermediate stick, you'll be taking off around 3" so you'll end up with around a 90 flex which might be too stiff. If you use a 75 flex intermediate stick which you said is already the right length, you have a 75 flex which may be better. If you want the right flex, you might not have much choice in using an intermediate stick, unless you can find a 65 flex senior stick which when cut down would give you the flex that you need. I don't know of any 65 flex senior sticks.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure 65 flex seniors do not exist, seniors basically only go down to 75 (maybe with a few excpetions?). And most intermediates are 65 flex, there are some 70 flex ints (Warrior's intermediates, for example), does anyone actually make 75 flex intermediates?

Old
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure 65 flex seniors do not exist, seniors basically only go down to 75 (maybe with a few excpetions?). And most intermediates are 65 flex, there are some 70 flex ints (Warrior's intermediates, for example), does anyone actually make 75 flex intermediates?
Base hockey does.

Last edited by LarryO: 02-04-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old
02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Most intermediates are about 65 flex. Warrior makes 55 and 70 flex intermediates; Bauer makes 60, 67, and 75 flex intermediates; Base makes 55, 65, and 75 flex intermediates.

Old
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Most intermediates are about 65 flex. Warrior makes 55 and 70 flex intermediates; Bauer makes 60, 67, and 75 flex intermediates; Base makes 55, 65, and 75 flex intermediates.
Crazy, I've only ever really noticed 67 flex Bauer ints, but I use senior so never look at the ints that closely I assume the 75 flex bauer ints are pretty rare?

Also, just another "curiosity" question for an int user, but are any brands known to have particularly slim vs. more senior width shafts? Cause I've definitely held some ints that are noticeably slimmer than others.

Old
02-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I believe the 60/75 flex are only for the Total One and X:60 models...they had them for One95's and XXXX's too. For the Warriors it's only on the high end models.

Well let's see...the Dolomites used to be a LOT smaller, now they're just 1/8" thinner I believe. Bauers are a little slimmer all the way around. Eastons still feel boxy, just smaller. I dig that my Harrows are the same diameter as senior shafts though.

Old
02-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Frankie Spankie

I really don't know too much about the technical stuff here but don't be afraid to try all different flexes. I'm 6'1" and 170lbs and recently tried a 65 flex intermediate stick with a wooden end plug to make it the proper length, which also probably makes the flex even lower than 65, but I love it. Granted, I'm pretty weak anyway but still, the extra flex puts a lot on my shots.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:38 PM
noobman

They say that half your body weight is about right.

I have a 100 flex stick and an 85 flex stick. Wrist shots are definitely easier with the 85 flex, but now that I'm on D taking snappers and slappers I've been using my 100. I've tried a 75 flex before and I hard a hard time controlling the puck and receiving passes. I'm about 210lb.

You should use a 75 flex, or if you're ambitious get a short stick with a low flex and use an endplug to lengthen the stick, thus reducing the flex.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:53 PM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

I'm 5'8 155lbs and i've been using intermediate eastons 65 flex but when cut they're 75.

ive been rippin snappers like you don't believe

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:03 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I believe the 60/75 flex are only for the Total One and X:60 models...they had them for One95's and XXXX's too. For the Warriors it's only on the high end models.

Well let's see...the Dolomites used to be a LOT smaller, now they're just 1/8" thinner I believe. Bauers are a little slimmer all the way around. Eastons still feel boxy, just smaller. I dig that my Harrows are the same diameter as senior shafts though.
On Bauer's website the TO and X60 are only available in 67 flex for intermediates, maybe they used to offer other flexes pack in the one95/xxxx days but have since phased them out?

Old
02-10-2011, 01:15 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

I'm about 5'8 165 and i use a 100 flex warrior dolomite stick and shaft because it offers me better control but it takes off my shots.
I tried an 75 flex and it just felt too whipy when i was stick handling i wanna try an 85 next

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:58 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Short answer: You should use the stiffest possible stick you are able to bend when shooting properly.
--
How stick flex works

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:19 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Short answer: You should use the stiffest possible stick you are able to bend when shooting properly.
--
How stick flex works
Tell that to Ovechkin, who uses a roughly 80 flex stick despite the fact that he could certainly flex a 110 like crazy. Or Kessel, who doesn't even use a senior stick at all. Some guys like only a small amount of flex when shooting, some like a tonne, it's personal preference.

Personally I'm 6', 180 lbs, have been playing hockey since I was 8, I can get a good flex and good shot out of an 85-87 flex stick, but I shoot even better with a 75-77 flex. On the flip side, a guy on my beer league team is 5'6" and uses a 100 flex (and that's 100 flex BEFORE he cuts it down, god knows what it's at after), and has a wicked wrist and snap shot with it (he used to play junior A). There really is no general rule, you need to be able to get SOME flex out of your stick while shooting, but whether a small or large amount of flex is best is all up to the shooter.

Last edited by ponder: 02-10-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
On Bauer's website the TO and X60 are only available in 67 flex for intermediates, maybe they used to offer other flexes pack in the one95/xxxx days but have since phased them out?
I think they are offered in the catalog at 60 and 75 flex for retailers to order. I'm 99% sure I've seen them at my LHS in those flexes. Kind of like a few years ago when the P14 wasn't a standard curve but they were available around here at lots of shops.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
--
How stick flex works
Alternate answer: you want the whippiest stick you can use without affecting your accuracy for maximum power.

On my Brett Hull DVD, he says and they put in big letters "STIFFER SHAFT = LESS VELOCITY".

Old
02-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Interesting. I went to the hockey shop yesterday to get a helmet with a cage and a neckguard, and I was flexing out some of the 75 - 77 flex adult sticks. They don't feel much different from my 85 flexer when just flexing them out on the floor. Shouldn't there be a noticeable difference?