HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Would a line of Moulson - Boyle - Purcell succeed in the NHL???

View Poll Results: Would a line of Moulson-Boyle-Purcell suceed in the NHL?
Yes - They make a pretty dynamic trio. 7 24.14%
No - They are being properly nurtured by their new teams/linemates. 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

vCash: 500
Would a line of Moulson - Boyle - Purcell succeed in the NHL???

I know all three were arguably given opportunities to play for the Kings and they also were the top line in Manchester for a period of time. My question is whether or not you think a line consisting of those three players would be able to succeed in the NHL on any other team.

LW - Moulson - A decent goal scorer, makes the most of his opportunities and is thriving in Long Island with ample ice time.
GP - 51, G's - 17, A's - 12, PTS - 29

C - Boyle - A big body with a sniper like wrist shot. He's been scoring this year, but he's still not a complete top 6 center, a real wild card.
GP - 54, G's - 18, A's - 10, PTS - 28

RW - Purcell - A late bloomer who has offensive vision and is a great passer. Not only would he be the playmaker on this line, but he's got an underrated wrister.
GP - 51, G's - 10, A's -22, PTS - 32

Anyways, curious about your thoughts.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

They could be on someone's 2nd and 3/4's line.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I don't get why some people are more obsessed with the players who didn't make it here but made it for other teams more than the current Kings team. Thank god Fro tanked and then got hurt in NY or we would have 1000 posts about letting him go.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
i think they would be successful, but not kings hockey or tm hockey for that matter.

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Funny how no one ever brings up Grebeshkov, Pushkarev, and the like anymore

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I honestly don't miss any of them. Maybe Moulson, maybe. Despite Boyle's recent success I wouldn't play him over any of our other centers. Purcell is contributing a bit but would you play him over Brown, Williams or Simmonds? He is also playing with some pretty good linemates. Moulson is doing well and I'm happy that he has found his game, letting him go was probably a mistake but who knows if he would have blossomed as he did if he stayed with the Kings?

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:20 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Grebeshkov actually developed into a pretty good PMD his last couple years. I'm surprised no one offered him a contract.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Grebeshkov actually developed into a pretty good PMD his last couple years. I'm surprised no one offered him a contract.
To my recollection, his puck skills dropped off for some reason with Edmonton and they tried to turn him into a defensive-minded guy. He has 14 points in 51 KHL games this year, so I think he's having some trouble with the puck across the pond as well. That or he's playing a more defensive style. Whatever the case, I think it's strange the way his development turned out.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

I love the **** I get on this board for trying to start a conversation. It's a friday with no game until tomorrow and I thought we could use a poll and a discussion.

Fwiw, I always like Purcell...

Old
02-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Duc620

I think they could do quite well in a non-checking league.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Meh, I'm indifferent about these players. They wouldn't be impact players on the Kings, and that is what this team needs, a player who can make an impact. They have players who are scratching that surface though. The Kings have enough passengers on the team, and those three wouldn't have made a difference.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:19 PM
LaLaLand

time to get over these loses guys

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
I love the **** I get on this board for trying to start a conversation. It's a friday with no game until tomorrow and I thought we could use a poll and a discussion.

Well, what kind of discussion did you really expect? Seems fruitless if you ask me. And I like fruit!

Old
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I like mangos.

Old
02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Well, what kind of discussion did you really expect? Seems fruitless if you ask me. And I like fruit!
Clearly the jury has spoken. I fail.

Pineapples ftw!

Old
02-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Clearly the jury has spoken. I fail.

Pineapples ftw!

Apples are a utilitarian fruit.

Old
02-04-2011, 05:40 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Clifford-Boyle-Simmonds

Would've been an awesome line

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Jungle Boy

Quote:

Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Old
02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
redcard

Quote:

It has nothing to do with you, it's just how often this discussion pops up. The 3 of them are succeeding elsewhere, and that's good for them, but for whatever reason couldn't pull it together here. And as Josh said, its easy to look at these 3 and think what could have been, but when they were traded/let go they had shown no more than Pushkarov, Tukonen, or the many other young players that have been traded away. Hell, did anyone honestly think that the 3 of these guys would all be out producing O'Sullivan? I know I didn't.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:42 PM
kingsfan25

While we're on the subject of Kings cast-offs all of a sudden making with the not sucking, remember this guy:

"You’re 5 feet nothin'. A hundred and nothin', and hardly a speck of athletic ability. And you hung on with the best [Western Conference team] in the land for [37 games]! In this lifetime, you don’t have to prove nothing to nobody except yourself! (voice softens) And after what you’ve gone and been through, if you haven’t learned that by now, [it'll probably sink in a few months from now when you're skating the Cup around Rogers Arena].

Granted, I've only seen him play a few times this year, but it seems like the guy's turned into a real spark plug. Reminds of Richardson...but with goals.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
It happened when Brendon Segal was waived, same with Jon Sim. Jeff Cowan had his moment of glory in Vancouver, fans of teams do this all the time when a player experiences a shred of success once they move on. The best example of this was Jason Blake, but he came crashing down back to earth after enjoying one very good year. In some cases, these players really do end up becoming a "flash in the pan" and nothing more.

Kings fans in the past bemoaned not giving opportunities to the likes of Zultek, Papineau, Lehoux, Rome, Kanko, Rosa, etc. While Boyle, Purcell and Moulson may in fact prove to play a significant role for their respective clubs, at the time the Kings gave up on them, they weren't at that level and when given the opportunity, they were not exhibiting any skills or talents that the team was lacking in.

Fans overlook the other side of the coin, where the Kings ended up making a low risk move that ultimately paid off. Turning Demitra into Lewis and O'Sullivan, and then acquiring Williams for O'Sullivan. Demitra is long gone and done, O'Sullivan is now a minor leaguer, Williams is on his way to a 60+ point season and Lewis is looking like he will develop into a very good two-way forward with speed.

Then there is the pickup of Kyle Quincey off waivers that landed the Kings a 50+ point LW with size and experience in Smyth, something the Kings needed desperately then and a player who is still providing the team with timely goals.

He turned Sopel into a draft pick that ended up becoming Wayne Simmonds. They also traded up in the 4th round at that very same draft to select Alec Martinez. Lombardi also made a calculated move in dealing a 2nd round pick (which turned into a throwaway pick with the Avs drafting a bust), in exchange for Brad Richardson. He's become a versatile player who has developed into someone who is dependable and able to play in any role assigned to him.

Every team has experienced their fair share of players they gave up on too early or never gave an opportunity to. Look at Quincey in Detroit, Moulson was originally a Penguins draft pick, Jarret Stoll, originally drafted by the Flames and they let him re-enter the draft, the Devils trading away Willie Mitchell and watching him become one of the best shutdown defensemen in the NHL, Philadelphia stupidly trading away Justin Williams for 34 games of Danny Markov. They also gave away Patrick Sharp for a minor leaguer. Imagine seeing your team give away a Patrick Sharp? Now that is something that will haunt you for years.

Old
02-04-2011, 07:26 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Rosa... there's a guy people would NOT shut up about. I still can't believe anyone would lament the loss of Boyle either. He was given umpteen chances to succeed hereand didn't.

Sure it's easy to point to Brian Boyle getting a cup of coffee centering the Rangers top line and ask what if, but all I can think of when seeing that is how bad the Rangers depth chart must be for that to be a reality.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:48 PM
zeppelin97

Moulson - Boyle - Purcell obviously isn't going to work under Terry Murray.

I don't think beggers can be choosers though. The interest in Penner by many here is an example of not being too choosy. Basically a 25 goal/25 assist guy is the key to the Kings success?

Like wise, having one of Moulson/Boyle/Purcell excel with the Kings probably would not have been a key to the King success but what I am seeing is a clear contradiction from some of you by dismissing their success as not helpful, yet Penner will be helpful?

Bottom line, Murray and Lombardi failed in developing 3 NHL players that could help the Kings. It is not about lamenting.

zeppelin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:48 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It happened when Brendon Segal was waived, same with Jon Sim. Jeff Cowan had his moment of glory in Vancouver, fans of teams do this all the time when a player experiences a shred of success once they move on. The best example of this was Jason Blake, but he came crashing down back to earth after enjoying one very good year. In some cases, these players really do end up becoming a "flash in the pan" and nothing more.

Kings fans in the past bemoaned not giving opportunities to the likes of Zultek, Papineau, Lehoux, Rome, Kanko, Rosa, etc. While Boyle, Purcell and Moulson may in fact prove to play a significant role for their respective clubs, at the time the Kings gave up on them, they weren't at that level and when given the opportunity, they were not exhibiting any skills or talents that the team was lacking in.

Fans overlook the other side of the coin, where the Kings ended up making a low risk move that ultimately paid off. Turning Demitra into Lewis and O'Sullivan, and then acquiring Williams for O'Sullivan. Demitra is long gone and done, O'Sullivan is now a minor leaguer, Williams is on his way to a 60+ point season and Lewis is looking like he will develop into a very good two-way forward with speed.

Then there is the pickup of Kyle Quincey off waivers that landed the Kings a 50+ point LW with size and experience in Smyth, something the Kings needed desperately then and a player who is still providing the team with timely goals.

He turned Sopel into a draft pick that ended up becoming Wayne Simmonds. They also traded up in the 4th round at that very same draft to select Alec Martinez. Lombardi also made a calculated move in dealing a 2nd round pick (which turned into a throwaway pick with the Avs drafting a bust), in exchange for Brad Richardson. He's become a versatile player who has developed into someone who is dependable and able to play in any role assigned to him.

Every team has experienced their fair share of players they gave up on too early or never gave an opportunity to. Look at Quincey in Detroit, Moulson was originally a Penguins draft pick, Jarret Stoll, originally drafted by the Flames and they let him re-enter the draft, the Devils trading away Willie Mitchell and watching him become one of the best shutdown defensemen in the NHL, Philadelphia stupidly trading away Justin Williams for 34 games of Danny Markov. They also gave away Patrick Sharp for a minor leaguer. Imagine seeing your team give away a Patrick Sharp? Now that is something that will haunt you for years.
The difference in this case is that the three players in question were all discarded because they couldn't fit into Murray's rigid system - it wasn't as though they had off-ice or personality issues like Tukonen, Pushkarev and O'Sullivan.

Purcell in particular has a great chance at cracking that 60-70 point mark in the very near future. His vision and hands are superb - his inability to conform to the Ryan Smyth style of winger was an utter failure on behalf of Terry Murray. Purcell played well in his 08-09 call up, looked great in the 09-10 camp, and was immediately pushed to the left wing with Stoll and Brown - a position he had never played before. His ability to corral a lose puck, out wait the defense and find good passing lanes was lost in the funnel-all-pucks-to-the-net offense Murray installed. He lost his confidence, Murray lost confidence in him, he bounced around the line combinations and was eventually sat for long periods of time.

Purcell started this year on a checkling line with a combination of Moore, Hall, Malone and Bergenheim. It wasn't until recently that he has seen steady minutes with skilled players, and his play has been off the charts lately - 7 points in the last 3 games with Lecavalier and Gagne.

(EDIT: make that 9 points in 4 games, with a goal and an assist again tonight in a 5-2 loss to Washington)

If Purcell can take that last step and start being consistently assertive, he is going to be a force on a team that values puck movement over net crashing.

Last edited by bland: 02-04-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: updating info
bland is offline   Reply With Quote