HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Power Play QB

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2011, 01:44 PM
  #26
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Frankly, I think bringing back MDZ undermined Gilroy's progress. I just don't think they mesh well. Both seem to perfom better with more defensive Dman on the other side.
Don't think Gilroy's improvement has slided back that much; this is a real good point though.
MDZ + Gilroy is not like Leetch + Zubrov 2.0

Give each a consistent stay at home D partner.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
  #27
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,342
vCash: 500
IMO the Rangers force plays down low too much because the option of going back to the points with it are not that great. I don't think it's Gaborik so much not finishing as having the right personnel to set him up for shots. MDZ does not look as nearly as comfortable as last year. Staal either has in mind to crank a shot off or to make a safe play. He's not that creative. Neither is Girardi whose most redeeming point is he tends to get his shots through to the net. Gilroy is more of a rover than a playmaker. I don't see a take charge guy in the group right now. MDZ has the talent to be it but not the confidence--at least this year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:10 PM
  #28
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It gets you nothing.
Haha, au contraire that offering gets me every time. That's about all it gets however.

__________________
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
  #29
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 9,720
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
To me, that as more about Del Zotto than it does Gilroy.
I couldn't agree more. Del Zotto has not only regressed but SERIOUSLY regressed.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 02:57 PM
  #30
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
This is another reason why the rangers will try to sign Richards. He is great at running the powerplay. Richards fills our teams two biggest needs, a top line playmaker and powerplay qb.

For this season I would of signed Marc Andre Bergeron. I'm not positive but I think Tampa has to put him back on waivers whenever they call him up. The rangers still could claim him when he gets recalled. MAB is horrible defensively so we would have to dress 7 defensemen. Torts said he doesn't like dressing 7 defensemen. I personally think it would be worth it considering Torts usually plays the 12th forward only 5-8 minutes. If we had a good powerplay we could of easily won 3 or 4 more games this season.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:03 PM
  #31
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Good analysis. The D has been HORRIBLE at dumping the puck in lately...They will have to dump and chase more effectively to succeed, because the D's outlet passes aren't working either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Your analysis of the outlet passes and breakout in general is also spot on. The D hesitates at the red line and it kills the momentum. Tbh Staal is actually one defenseman who can build up speed and carry it in himself. Its what he does with the puck once hes gained the zone thats the problem with him.

You see so many of the same things that drive you nuts. Forwards coming in all in a line and not staggered, D hesitating or not getting off good passes, Passes from the D arriving right at the opposition blueline, thus forcing an offside or making it easier for a PK man to break up the play... The PP unit as a group not using their speed in the neutral zone to back up the PKers. These things are major problems and thats just ENTERING and SETTING UP.

Once they finally get set up or god forbid win the starting PP faceoff then thats a completely different ball of wax. Theres no doubt they have major problems and need someone to be the catalyst. They shouldnt be afraid to use hard wrist shots either instead of always trying to unload slapshots form the point. Just get it down there
You both make good points, but here's the overall problem: A team with great offensive players, and in turn a great PP, isn't going to need to dump the puck in the majority of the time, because their players have the ability to carry the puck over the blueline and then do something with it, something no one on this team can do, especially not on the PP, with any kind of consistency.

So, while perhaps this edition of the team must learn how to dump the puck and retrieve it, the major issue is that, as has been the case since seemingly before time began (I exaggerate of course) this team needs to acquire significant offensive talent (Richards). It might also solve the problem of not having your best offensive player (Gaborik) not being on your top PP unit because no one on the team can make him effective. At least Prospal can do an adequate job of that, I guess.

BTW, I like MZA on the point. I think he's a good option. He might be the best playmaker on the team at this point, as sad as that is. Del Zotto, of course, has been awful, and I still think Gilroy pretty much stinks. Not an option for the PP. If anything, I'd try Sauer right now. Call me crazy, but he's got maybe the best, or at least most consistently successful first pass on the team among defensemen, he knows when and when not to pinch, and he's got a hard shot. He's also arguably the smartest defenseman on the team, or at least right up there with Staal. I trust him to react accordingly in case of a bad turnover at the blueline on the PP, or in any situation where the shorthanded team is on the rush.


Last edited by NYR Sting: 02-04-2011 at 03:08 PM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:07 PM
  #32
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
I can and will say that it takes more than just a PP QB to help this teams PP. For starters they need to get some consistent PP line, this is so important so guys can gel and get used to were everyone likes to be on the ice. Throwing random lines is not the awnser on the PP. If Del Zotto is at blame, Gabs, Cally, Dubi etc are all equally to be blamed for poor PP imo. The inability of the forwards to create open ice on the PP is a problem. Gaborik has to skate more with the puck on the PP, hes got great speed and must have the puck more creating 4 on 3s. I am still not in love with Cally on the PP nor Anisimov who is not quite ready imo to play PP minutes. Gabs, Dubi are 2 guys that should be on the starting PP and maybe even Boyle for net presence and reach around the net. It wouldint hurt adding Kabs but that would not solve the forwards issues automatically is all im saying. The key to the PP is to really gain the zone as a unit, u cant have 1 guy not in proper position or it kills the adv. Everyone has to be on the same page.


Last edited by satrabyk: 02-04-2011 at 03:21 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
  #33
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Yeah and thats what people were saying about Kovalchuk. Those guys who just some how KNEW he was going to be a free agent and were hedging our future on it. Kovalchuk didnt make it to FA. News flash, Dallas is playing lights out hockey, therefore Richards isnt going anywhere either.
He didn't? You must have been living under a rock this past summer, lol.

And you might want to familiarize yourself with dallas' ownership/financial situation before making any predictions about Richards' future.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:35 PM
  #34
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
You guys might be interested to hear that the Rangers have been scouting Souray heavily in the AHL. Even Sather himself has been down to Hershey.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:37 PM
  #35
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 9,720
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He didn't? You must have been living under a rock this past summer, lol.

And you might want to familiarize yourself with dallas' ownership/financial situation before making any predictions about Richards' future.
Let me correct myself. He did, but the Devils had been working with him from the beginning. Every one just assumed he would be FA and the Rangers would sign him. Didnt happen. Same thing will happen with Richards.

I know what their ownership situation is like I dont need you talking down to me I am more well aware than you are.

Not to mention even if he does, I will bet my last dollar he doesnt come to the Rangers.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:37 PM
  #36
BrandNewDream
Registered User
 
BrandNewDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If anything, I'd try Sauer right now. Call me crazy, but he's got maybe the best, or at least most consistently successful first pass on the team among defensemen, he knows when and when not to pinch, and he's got a hard shot. He's also arguably the smartest defenseman on the team, or at least right up there with Staal. I trust him to react accordingly in case of a bad turnover at the blueline on the PP, or in any situation where the shorthanded team is on the rush.
I agree on this completely. I've definitely noticed that he's not shy on coming into the play, and certainly is competent enough to be able to make up for any mistakes made out there.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
  #37
NYRamonte10
Registered User
 
NYRamonte10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Ok i'm gonna just keep saying it because I despise him so much, get Del Zotto the **** out of here... he's awful and we can see his hockey IQ is the worst on the team.

That being said, I think Eminger has potential as our QB. He's got some good puck handling ability, can avoid pressure with tight turns. I'd like to see him back in the lineup and on the PP. And I think Zucarello as his partner would be awesome. Zuc is a better playmaker than Stepan at this point, he should be on the blueline all the time for the PP, good call by Torts.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:43 PM
  #38
Cmox
Registered User
 
Cmox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
You guys might be interested to hear that the Rangers have been scouting Souray heavily in the AHL. Even Sather himself has been down to Hershey.
I just heard this as well. Per Sportsnetspec..

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
  #39
BrandNewDream
Registered User
 
BrandNewDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Let me correct myself. He did, but the Devils had been working with him from the beginning. Every one just assumed he would be FA and the Rangers would sign him. Didnt happen. Same thing will happen with Richards.

I know what their ownership situation is like I dont need you talking down to me I am more well aware than you are.

Not to mention even if he does, I will bet my last dollar he doesnt come to the Rangers.
That's news to me. I don't think anyone assumed that would happen at all.

If you want to apply that thinking to Richards in terms of assuming the Rangers will push heavily to sign him, that's much more likely and understandable.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
  #40
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Cam Fowler already has 6 goals and 27 points, most of them at the tender age of 18 (he just turned 19), with 4 of those goals on the power play. He's getting better every day and looks like he could be well on his way to developing into a premier offensive defenseman in the NHL.

That's why this we was such a great draft pi...oh wait. Shoot, I forgot.

Scratch all that.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
  #41
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Cam Fowler already has 6 goals and 27 points, most of them at the tender age of 18 (he just turned 19), with 4 of those goals on the power play. He's getting better every day and looks like he could be well on his way to developing into a premier offensive defenseman in the NHL.

That's why this we was such a great draft pi...oh wait. Shoot, I forgot.

Scratch all that.
Michael Del Zotto had 40 points as a rookie, your argument is completely irrelevant and outright dumb.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
  #42
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Michael Del Zotto had 40 points as a rookie, your argument is completely irrelevant and outright dumb.
Completely and outright?

No, the irony of her sentiments is not lost on all of us

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:58 PM
  #43
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Completely and outright?

No, the irony of her sentiments is not lost on all of us
It's lost on us who are ****ing sick of everyone crying about Fowler. MDZ looked better last year than Fowler is now, buddy.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
  #44
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Michael Del Zotto had 40 points as a rookie, your argument is completely irrelevant and outright dumb.
You want dumb? When trying to make a point about one guy, mention what happened to a totally different player and imply there is some sort of correlation.

Talk about irrelevant...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
  #45
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
You want dumb? When trying to make a point about one guy, mention what happened to a totally different player and imply there is some sort of correlation.

Talk about irrelevant...
You know why you brought up Fowler and I don't have to tell you why. How about inputting something meaningful into the conversation instead of beating this dead, battered horse? I'm done with this thread because it's obvious it's impossible to have a thread about most things now without people crying about this draft.

I wanted Tarasenko, btw.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:07 PM
  #46
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
You know why you brought up Fowler and I don't have to tell you why. How about inputting something meaningful into the conversation instead of beating this dead, battered horse? I'm done with this thread because it's obvious it's impossible to have a thread about most things now without people crying about this draft.

I wanted Tarasenko, btw.
Who's crying? Who said we should have drafted Fowler?

One of THIS teams biggest needs is an QB Dman on the PP, something Fowler seems to be able to do right now. There's just a touch of irony in there and I think its okay to acknowledge it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
  #47
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Who's crying? Who said we should have drafted Fowler?

One of THIS teams biggest needs is an QB Dman on the PP, something Fowler seems to be able to do right now. There's just a touch of irony in there and I think its okay to acknowledge it.
But DZ is doing the same things Fowler did last year, too! I don't like to pick fights and I think you're a knowledgeable dude but you can't tell me you don't think that post is made more from bitterness than trying to add anything constructive.

The argument should be more "Will MDZ develop into a PPQB" than anything, but bringing Fowler into it is unnecessary.

And to not go off-topic completely, I still think our best bet is getting Richards to QB the PP, too. If we can't get him than it's anybody's guess.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
  #48
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
You know why you brought up Fowler and I don't have to tell you why. How about inputting something meaningful into the conversation instead of beating this dead, battered horse? I'm done with this thread because it's obvious it's impossible to have a thread about most things now without people crying about this draft.

I wanted Tarasenko, btw.
This horse is only called dead and battered by those who do not want to hear that Fowler is playing well at a very young age.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
  #49
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But DZ is doing the same things Fowler did last year, too! I don't like to pick fights and I think you're a knowledgeable dude but you can't tell me you don't think that post is made more from bitterness than trying to add anything constructive.

The argument should be more "Will MDZ develop into a PPQB" than anything, but bringing Fowler into it is unnecessary.

And to not go off-topic completely, I still think our best bet is getting Richards to QB the PP, too. If we can't get him than it's anybody's guess.
Because DZ did the same things last year that Fowler is doing this year by no means determines that Fowler has to follow the same fate. DZ is one example out of many. There are no guarantees.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 05:20 PM
  #50
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Because DZ did the same things last year that Fowler is doing this year by no means determines that Fowler has to follow the same fate. DZ is one example out of many. There are no guarantees.
Nobody said Fowler isn't playing well...but I maintain MDZ played better, still.

And you're right, there are no guarantees. Also, I wouldn't go as far as to say this is MDZ's fate since he's still 20 and "sophomore slumps" are very common.

And come on, you can't honestly say the Fowler horse isn't beat to death. We know he's playing at an adequate level in the NHL, the guy who you're all ready to give up on did the same thing and better last year.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.